Phattpiggies Wood Shed

Squiby

So, I was lucky enough to get in on Phatpiggie's Abalone and Acrylic stem. I am familiar with his work so I expected a well crafted and beautiful stem but I was totally unprepared for the treasure that arrived.

First of all, the stem was beautifully packaged and padded and secured to survive an apocalypse. Inside the padding was a two part sealed envelope that held the stem, a wax tin and some skewers to facilitate cleaning. It was like opening a lovingly wrapped gift. What a pleasure that was!!

Anyway, on to the stem....The finish is smooth as glass. The black acrylic bookends the abalone to showcase its lustrous beauty. The Abalone itself is beyond stunning! A rainbow of color gleams and pops and dances in any light and is mesmerising to twirl. It's hypnotic. I generally prefer slim stems but this one is so perfectly proportioned I can't stop looking at and of course I may be using it a bit more frequently than my usual daily herbal dalliance.

It's an absolute gem; a treasure. This is a stem that cannot adequately convey its beauty through pictures.

@phattpiggie you have truly outdone yourself!!!

245ipax.jpg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@KidFated. :shrug:no idea who that could've been:)
There are some very nice faux stone blanks and I'm looking forward to trying a couple more of them.

@Moses Baca I had an order to place and to make the most of the shipping I got some sent over.
Fingers crossed I can do something pretty with it.
I have both Bog Oak and Yew and I'll be getting some Bog Elm this year. Perhaps segmented stems in ancient woods.

Thank you for the kind words and the cracking picture @Squiby.
I've changed the way I ship stuff in order to reduce any waste, I figure the heat seal foil bags are better than plastic tubes.
Skewers and wax are par for the course, I want to make sure people can clean and maintain anything they receive from me.
The wax probably wasn't necessary with an all acrylic stem but it was only fair you got a tin so you could see my bespectacled and snouted face.
You have shown continued support right from the beginning and I'm not sure what else I'll be able to 'wow' you with, but I'll try.

The metalwork is finished so next week will be assemble and turn on this lot, busy times trying to juggle everything and get stuff done before my working holiday to Barcelona, Mrs PP just laughs when I drop the 'working' word in.
20190217-191826.jpg

Changed the shape a bit on this one. 8 layers in the accent, the black is barely visible.
20190217-181752.jpg

Thought it fitting given where we are off next month to get a bit of a tricolour stem in with some relevance done and while I was at it I had a play with the round carbide tip. Wet sand on the acrylic to keep it cool.
20190217-143432.jpg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Moses Baca there is a lot of good info on the Database site, once you've made a decision get in touch.

Shipped this out today, probably one of the more difficult twists to file. The pitch and the fact it's left handed made it a challenge.

Had this Apricot blank sitting around for a while and thought it about time I turned it.
I messed up on the condenser work on the video.
IMG-20190226-200046.jpg

I love this little display stand.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Spannabis is so fukin close.
I don't take used stems home so some of the stuff I've turned recently will need a good home. We have invites to a few social clubs so they may end up gifted to them.
Half a dozen of us going and we are looking forward to meeting up with anyone and everyone who goes.

Accents, it's and endless topic for combinations.

Blackwood, aluminium and black accents.
This time the request was for a 10mm tapered MP.
IMG-20190307-150720-572.jpg

I liked the silver and black combo so I did another.
Matumi and BW
IMG-20190307-180140-300.jpg

This Maglev is fun, I slow video down to half speed, it's eerie watching it in real time let alone slowed up a bit.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Spain on Thursday and the stems are all done and I'm figuring we are going to need pocketable magnets.

I saw @started@52's post about some he'd bought and thought I've got the neo's so I'll make some.

Dyed and stabilised Chestnut, Amboyna, Thuya/BW and an Indian Summer.

almost there

Spain on Thursday and the stems are all done and I'm figuring we are going to need pocketable magnets.

I saw @started@52's post about some he'd bought and thought I've got the neo's so I'll make some.

Dyed and stabilised Chestnut, Amboyna, Thuya/BW and an Indian Summer.
ha, that's what they are. I kept trying to figure out if they were unfinnished mp's when I saw the IG post

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Had the best of weekends in Spain with the best of people.
Late nights and early mornings with the likes of @funkyjunky, his good lady, George and the DV crew being the icing on the cake.

Exhibition grade Maple Burl with BW MP, the 45° cut on the BW made for a challenging stem.
Scale rule and my laptop screen for dimensions as I forget to draw stuff.
IMG-20190324-135224.jpg

Recently had a request for a slimline segmented stem. Skinny stems require a different condenser but to segment it means taking a different approach.
Cocobolo practice piece done, tooling ordered for the segmented.
IMG-20190324-134954.jpg

Against the Shadow you get a sense of scale.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
This combination of accents is my personal favourite and they've been a hit with a few other people.
Koa with a 10mm tapered MP starts life as a pile of bits.
IMG-20190404-205415-582.jpg

IMG-20190404-205415-584.jpg

Had some below par Abalone arrive which promptly got returned and new purchased.
17 pieces in this stem.
IMG-20190409-173324.jpg

Did a little magnet as well, the Abalone ring is about 1.5mm wide. A nice challenge on a wood lathe.
IMG-20190411-120413.jpg

I turned the first marble stand a while back and did a few more button style one's, they are more time consuming than I originally thought and to be fair I'd prefer to put the effort into something a bit nicer.
Some of the top end marbles sell for hundreds of dollars so they deserve a bit more style than a disc of wood.
IMG-20190406-163404.jpg

IMG-20190406-163316.jpg

More condenser arrived yesterday, UK supplier with next day delivery, getting a slack handle of this tube makes me realise just how many stems I've put together over the last few months.
IMG-20190409-125809.jpg

CNC shop will be getting the revised hot end design drawings and a couple of new pieces one of which has been in the works for far too long.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
IMG-20190417-110616.jpg

While the Blackwood Twist looked great it was missing something after all the Abalone and accents that have been done.
The first idea was to use a Maple but two attempts, two failures and that got changed.
Looking thru the blanks I remembered I had a casein which would suit the BW nicely.
Casein is a milk protein and was used in paints by ancient Egyptians, is used in cheese making and in this case as a faux ivory.

First off the HE and MP had to be removed.
Then a couple of bits of the casein worked to take a thread and the Ti piece.
IMG-20190424-WA0001.jpg

And then a quick turn to shape and a file.
IMG-20190424-110308.jpg

Myrtle Burl Twist
IMG-20190422-191622-852.jpg

Imperio Blue Erinoid acrylic with 10mm taper MP

Purple and Orange acrylic with BW 10mm taper MP.
This is for the Sunday raffle at a little get together in the UK called Borofest Glass Festival, I was hoping to set up and do some turning over the weekend but other things are already planned.
Screenshot-20190424-204232.jpg

https://youtu.be/PctlVeAVT7Q

IMG-20190419-175037.jpg

Maple Burl, this was going to be a twist but the small void on the outside of the blank got bigger and deeper as it was turned.
https://youtu.be/midKOaMlxPU
The hole was begging to be filled up with some turquoise.
https://youtu.be/iq4xrgyLpw8
IMG-20190421-140025.jpg

Top Bottom