Phattpiggies Wood Shed

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Is there a website that lists options or a gallery of all the choices? Im looking for a stem for my Vapcap that uses the XLS condenser. I'm looking for an iso friendly stem that won't soak in the smells of smoke either in case of combistion. My wooden one has just never recovered which has torn my relationship with the all wood now.

Weird. I've combusted by accident many times with both my metal and wood stems, and after I've blown out the offending clump of black/charred/ashy ABV, I just wipe the bowl/tip out with a dry q-tip, and I've never had a bad/burnt taste still remaining problem. Well, maybe there's a barely-detectable combusty-taste around for a heat cycle or two...but it's not really detectable after that.

I keep hearing people talking about accidentally combusting in their Dynavap vaporizers, and having to clean it all out or it leaves that combusty-taste for a long time, but mine have never done that, even with wood.

RuggedWombat

Opposite of Down Under
Weird. I've combusted by accident many times with both my metal and wood stems, and after I've blown out the offending clump of black/charred/ashy ABV, I just wipe the bowl/tip out with a dry q-tip, and I've never had a bad/burnt taste still remaining problem. Well, maybe there's a barely-detectable combusty-taste around for a heat cycle or two...but it's not really detectable after that.

I keep hearing people talking about accidentally combusting in their Dynavap vaporizers, and having to clean it all out or it leaves that combusty-taste for a long time, but mine have never done that, even with wood.

Keep in mind some of these combustions are from my wife who is much less experienced. Instances where I panic not knowing if it's been one click or two, I know to stop. She however will sometimes keep cooking it and by the time she stops it's like REALLY blown up in there. Lemon zinger teabags did help, but honestly it's shaken my confidence in the wood and I would rather have something I can just dump in a bag of iso as I do all the vaping maintenance and what have you.

almost there

Keep in mind some of these combustions are from my wife who is much less experienced. Instances where I panic not knowing if it's been one click or two, I know to stop. She however will sometimes keep cooking it and by the time she stops it's like REALLY blown up in there. Lemon zinger teabags did help, but honestly it's shaken my confidence in the wood and I would rather have something I can just dump in a bag of iso as I do all the vaping maintenance and what have you.
a word of advice , heat till the first click and stop. The second click may or may not come, regardless, you only need the one click

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
Do people really hear two clicks? I have one of the first run woodies along with a OG glass, Sandblasted M, and 2018M and still only hear one click.

I swear I hear 4. On heat up: a light feeling and sounding click (I stop there), followed by a heavier click. Depending on which torch I use this could be spaced out by a full second or very close together. I've had it do the second click after I had the mouthpiece in my mouth.

Then I hear a light click and then a heavier click on cold down.

For me this seems to be about 80% of the time. Otherwise I just hear/feel two.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I got a couple of acrylic stem done over the last few days this time with TiHE's.
Less friction between the Ti and acrylic means I have to tackle them in a different manner, I'm happy with the results.
GHiBE1G.jpg

blBOW96.jpg

Sumac is a shit to turn but well worth it
uT0pkgW.jpg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@BigJr48 unfortunately there is a bit of a backlog at the moment, I'm hoping to get caught up a bit over the next few weeks but other stuff keeps coming up which is slowing progress down.

I mocked up this Thuya Square with a TiHE to see how it would look, this one will need a BW MP to be a usable stem.
chC6Y4t.jpg

Here's another look at what goes into an Open Twist.
One or two drill bits
xJ9ZQar.jpg

I use a piece of 10mm SS tube for the sleeve on the left hand side, it gets a thread and ends up in the female threaded hot end.
rVk6xSZ.jpg

Even with a sacrificial dowel they get a bit bendy when breaking thru
Blue Mahoe with Cobalt glass
xmAXwwM.jpg

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
@BigJr48 unfortunately there is a bit of a backlog at the moment, I'm hoping to get caught up a bit over the next few weeks but other stuff keeps coming up which is slowing progress down.

xmAXwwM.jpg

Beautiful stuff. Yeah, I've been wanting to get with you for a couple of months now on a few items I'd love to have, now you've added another. You are a very busy guy, a great a problem to have, so I've been holding off. Perhaps in a month or two?
Gosh I am on three wait lists, and have two talented people making me stuff right now. I have money to spend and everyone is so busy! I freaking love it!!!!

“The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.”

-Oscar Wilde

BigJr48

I mocked up this Thuya Square with a TiHE to see how it would look, this one will need a BW MP to be a usable stem.
chC6Y4t.jpg

Here's another look at what goes into an Open Twist.
One or two drill bits
xJ9ZQar.jpg

I use a piece of 10mm SS tube for the sleeve on the left hand side, it gets a thread and ends up in the female threaded hot end.
rVk6xSZ.jpg

xmAXwwM.jpg

It's totally understandable, your creativity attracts many.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Only way to really find out if it can be done is do it.
Ti insert in a blue acrylic with BW MP.
xDytdzM.jpeg

Full length SS condenser as ever.
MGzNRZP.jpeg

And just for fun while I wait for tomorrows SS delivery I turned a Bocote spinning top.
FiJYwSM.jpeg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Condenser arrived today. I think I'll need to open an account with the suppliers just to make life easier and fone conversations to a minimum.
MXL8WD2.jpeg

Had to do another spinning top for a giggle.
Bocote and green acrylic with full length condenser :rofl:
O6UMoFF.jpeg

JeCOd4y.jpeg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Fat Freddy and @mistvaporizer you'll be pleased to know I had it spinning on the bench while I mimicked holding a lighter at the cap.
I reckon it's doable.

@Blue even if a thin wooden wall does split the stem is still usable.

Open Twist in Blackwood today.
While I had the chance I mocked up how it would look with different glass condensers in it.
This stem will be getting a different design condenser fitted, hopefully.
Fq3eMQt.jpeg

Top Bottom