Phattpiggies Wood Shed

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Phatts, IM BAAAAACCCCKKKK!!
Sorry for the hiatus, I managed to calm my obsessive vape/vapeware habits for a few months, so haven't been round these parts for a while.

I thought I'd pop my head in the shed to see what you've been busy with, and boy am I not disappointed!!! Quite a lot to catch up on, but your new pieces are stunning!! And that stone inlay is looking piggilicious!

Also, I need to go check out pipes thread- the sound of my turbo lighters is starting to raise funny looks from the Mrs whilst watching films etc, time to go stealth.

Keep up the good work buddy,
Peace

Torch volume was doing my head in while watching films at friends houses! Pipes vapcap heaters are a marvel.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
This went a lot easier than I thought it would, the die squared up nicely.
Just have to make the females and some new bushings for a mandrel and bang it all together.
Small tube is my normal condenser size.
G6qIIqz.jpg

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
That cigar stem looks awesome and the helmet is fantastic!

What's the metal stem holding up the helmet from the foot? Is it a VapCap? Is the helmet a stealthy Vapcap stand?

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
A while ago I made a lidded stem for shits and giggles, then I was asked if it would be possible to turn a Dark Matters style lidded stem.

Here's where I've got with it so far, still a bit left to do.
The final piece will have a Koa lid.
Koa with a BW MP with a piece of Indian Summer acrylic and brass accent.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Aezhenn many thanks but there's still a way to go with it.
If you watch the brass at the MP end you'll see what looks like a gap in it.
It all moved on me when I'd nearly finished so I had to take it to bits and redo it.
The brass is just below the surface so it needs a bit of a reshape to bring it all level again.
The Koa is lovely and once it's all done I'll get some more video and see if I can capture it.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
[QUOTE

cV79Vmt.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm just on cloud nine and need to share/brag that I am in the queue with a request for something similar to the stunner above. I haven't been able to get this image out of my head since August, and finally broke down and PM'd Mr. P Piggie. So glad I did; if you have your finger on the trigger or interested about the possibility of owning/gifting a unique piece of functional art, just PM the man. There are so few items from natural materials created by humans to this degree of craftsmanship available in the world. And I'm struggling to think of another in this price range. Whatever he quotes ya, know you are getting a helluva deal. I know I'm not the first member (or even 100th) to go on about the man and his wood, but WOW!

The advertisement above was neither requested, paid for, nor authorised by PhattPiggie Enterprises, LLC
All opinions expressed herein are those of a bitter geezer who remembers when we made things of lasting quality and beauty that could stand the test of time and could increase in value (due to materials & craftsmanship).

"Bahhh! You kids stay out of my garden!" * shakes fist weakly * :myday: :peace: & :love:

MokumMan

Gotta respect your skills man, this would be a project with a capital P for an office dude like myself

A while ago I made a lidded stem for shits and giggles, then I was asked if it would be possible to turn a Dark Matters style lidded stem.

Here's where I've got with it so far, still a bit left to do.
The final piece will have a Koa lid.
Koa with a BW MP with a piece of Indian Summer acrylic and brass accent.

It's nice to see them while they are still work in progress. Little teasers of what's to come:) This is already looking impressive, can't wait to see the final result!

[QUOTE

cV79Vmt.jpg

I'm just on cloud nine and need to share/brag that I am in the queue with a request for something similar to the stunner above. I haven't been able to get this image out of my head since August, and finally broke down and PM'd Mr. P Piggie. So glad I did; if you have your finger on the trigger or interested about the possibility of owning/gifting a unique piece of functional art, just PM the man. There are so few items from natural materials created by humans to this degree of craftsmanship available in the world. And I'm struggling to think of another in this price range. Whatever he quotes ya, know you are getting a helluva deal. I know I'm not the first member (or even 100th) to go on about the man and his wood, but WOW!

The advertisement above was neither requested, paid for, nor authorised by PhattPiggie Enterprises, LLC
All opinions expressed herein are those of a bitter geezer who remembers when we made things of lasting quality and beauty that could stand the test of time and could increase in value (due to materials & craftsmanship).

"Bahhh! You kids stay out of my garden!" * shakes fist weakly * :myday: :peace: & :love:

Awesome picture of an awesome stem! First time I saw it I wondered how fragile those thinner parts would be. I think I would put it on display and use it for special occasions only :lol:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Thanks @nickdanger I love other peoples pictures of my work.

@pxl_jockey there's a way to go before I start up any new list so hang in there.

As this has all gone on and I'm in various places, FC, VA, IG and FB, my presentation skills are having to be stepped up a bit.

Ever on the hunt for ideas I came up with this one, just need background and lighting.

This an off cut of Bog Oak which I turned thru 90 degrees, the grain caused a lot of confusion as it just looked to be tearing when I offered up a sharp chisel. Wasn't until I stopped the lathe and realized why.

And put to use

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Had up's and down's over the last few days, got the pair of twists done,
Walnut first

I then had a go at getting some video of the Kingwood one as I made it, all sped up to fit IG and to make it a bit more watchable here.

First video is the cone masked and marked, follow the line with a saw as a start point for the filing.

Then a triangular and small round file add a bit of depth for the 5mm file to follow, all these files need a regular clean with a file card as the resin content and wood dust soon clog them up, this is my first attempt at filing Kingwood and the 5mm file soon got clogged up and I had to move on to a rougher file, a more aggressive cut means less clogging.

Got sidetracked and forgot to set the camera going thru the rest of it, it was looking very nice until I noticed a crack at the hot end.
It's one of those things and to try and make good out of a bad situation I decided to cut the hot end down below the crack, and unfortunately the same at another split at the MP end.

Not a happy bunny at this point but I figured if I could get the ends cut off then I'd at least be able to use the majority of the twist with some Blackwood ends.

Not to be, a big chunk dropped out and spoiled that idea.
WTnmLKZ.jpg
That is amazing craftsmanship. Kings wood is one of my favorites but it is a pain to work with due to all the oil, clogs everything up big time. I've seen twists like this done on CNC machines and your cuts are so good I thought it was CNC cut. Bravo!

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@phattpiggie Hey man, that's something I am really good at: Hanging in there. I can hang in/out all day long and half the night. Now talk about running, jumping or being your sky-diving partner? No can do. But I've got nothing but time & rehab. Whenever you get around to me, I know you'll holler. I don't get fussed or bothered about waiting on anything tbh, not a very good consumer for an American. I've learned after the initial rush of new, most things are just that, another thing; it's the rare thing that with long use brings lasting pleasure. I think your stuff is of the latter category, so I can really wait.

@MokumMan Well, I hadn't considered the fragility of those inner cutaway twists until you brought it to my attention. Now I won't be able to think of anything else! Thank you for that, friend! :D Just playing... but seriously, I want to look at it while using it, not on a shelf. Hence, the functional art designation. So decision to be made when the time arrives. And for real, thank you for pointing out the obvious thing I had not considered. I'll be sure to ask and PP will advise me well, no doubt.

@phattpiggie again: that bog oak stem rest is a showstopper, it'll be the special stem that gets that status. Talk about being put on a pedestal! I have a walking stick of Scottish bog oak, wood is really ancient but the stick is newish and not used. I moved on to fancier sticks before moving without one altogether. :)
And so it sits. Wonder what, if anything, you could do with that? :razz: Ya know, just something to think about while you're just hanging about... :haw: Keep doing your thing, you multi-platform entrepreneur!

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Thanks @mistvaporizer the grain had some really hard spots in it and as you say oily, I ran the needle file thru a file card repeatedly while doing it.

Got 3 Dark Matters inspired stems coming together.
zSN7vth.jpg

Always good to see the diagonals coming thru when the blanks roughed, not good to see a void but I made the blank oversize just in case what looked like a surface crack was a bit more. Which it was.
b8O3b06m.jpg
yj5Nfe0m.jpg

This is the first one that went together on the 10mm SS tube I threaded.
jV8zNuN.jpg

African Blackwood, Mexican Cocobolo with aluminium accents. A Mi/VC/WS/Tubo/Zion 18mm stem.
12euBwH.jpg

xiPiQTU.jpg

And I may some good headway recently on this little lot
dBvMgLZ.jpg

Top Bottom