Phattpiggies Wood Shed

almost there

A couple of twists for you on a Saturday morning, Macassar Ebony and Figure Walnut.
They need a bit more work and the final sand and finish, I'm looking forward to seeing them with the first coat of wax.
O3Ff50c.jpg
That one on top looks like a garter snake, excellent craftsmanship as always PP

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@almost there that top one has tested me, rather the wood has tested me.
The first one I tried was a loose fit on the tip so it'll be used elsewhere, the twist was looking good until I spotted a crack.
Too much time invested to just chuck it, so after a good cuss I set about a rescue mission.
Z9o5wus.png

I cut the cracked hot end off and added Blackwood and brass
qWfFdfa.jpg

AvCaZyz.jpg

Cracking is one of those things, I try my best to check and double check stuff but once a piece of wood has been abused anything can and does happen.
Here's the MP from a piece I did recently, thankfully I can rescue some stems. Thin parting tool and a lot of concentration.
31NRisW.jpg

First attempt at a stem with inlay, more stone and more practice needed.
3ytOBii.jpg

I've been having issues with Paypal, hoping I'll hear which way it's going later this week.
I've been busy looking for alternatives if they decide to close my account.
Any and all ideas on this are more than welcome.

Squiby

Why is Paypal giving you a hassle? Is it because the items are "vape" related? Perhaps you could call them flutes of some kind of musical instrument item...
Or cigarette holders which they look like. I've used cigarette holders stems for my Vapcap tips.

Phattpiggie, I just love the twists with the sharp ridges. My telescopic Blackwood Twist is my all time favorite. I never get tired of looking at it or twirling it between my fingers. It fits my hand like a glove and the twist assists the twirl. Say THAT three times after your afternoon session, why don't you?

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@nickdanger It's to do with proofs of ID and address, of which I have very few.
They allowed a couple of documents then out of the blue decided they weren't good enough, after 4 different conversations and being assured the compliance team was happy I had another email asking for more.

As you all know I turn 'pen stems', what happens to them when in the hands of others is none of my business.

@Squiby I like both twists but have to agree the 'fluted' look and feel is my favorite, they have an addictive tactility, I think the idea of helping the user spinning or twirling may have been adopted by some one else.

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
This is worth every penny, no more fogged up lenses or a poor seal due to facial hair, fresh air gets blown down over my face.
re1j7TA.jpg

I know it's an old post but that respirator looks cool. Is it heavy on your head? Comfortable if worn for a while?

I have a beard and never could get a seal with regular respirators so i use a thing called a Resp-o-rator.. It looks funny as hell but works really well and doesn't cost too much.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@KidFated. keep an eye out for when I start a new list.

@WoodVillain I've shaved fully 2 or 3 times so my experiences of dust masks haven't been good, I wear specs as well just to add that soft focus touch when you've got eye protection on.
So far it's been fine, not heavy or uncomfortable.

I have been banging my head off stuff but that's only a matter of 'learning' how big the thing is.
It's getting colder here so it will be good to see how it handles the fog when it freezing outside.
8 hour charge, so I've been plugging it in as and when rather than drain it fully.
The fan runs down with the battery level and it sets my tinnitus off.

Otherwise it's great and well worth the money spent, just needs a VC adapter.

This piece of Kingwood is really nice, I looked at it and nearly didn't file the twist.
It's always good seeing how the change of shape will pull the grain out.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
The right hand side is the tap and die I use for the condensers on the segmented style stems.
Today the left hand side one's arrived today, can't wait to see how this goes.
NLHcbM6.jpg

The twist really distorts the grain and when the wood has the character of this piece of Kingwood...

Edit, took the 'reveal' video out as I've shown you it already, :doh: busy day.

Last edited:

Vap O matic

The right hand side is the tap and die I use for the condensers on the segmented style stems.
Today the left hand side one's arrived today, can't wait to see how this goes.
NLHcbM6.jpg

I love the 'reveal' when you peel the tape off
The twist really distorts the grain and when the wood has the character of this piece of Kingwood...

as always. every piece is unique :tup: Congrats to the lucky one :wave:
Great work Dude :clap:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@little maggie yes the M tips fit and should be fine.

All I can say is take care fitting any tip to a stem as some of them can be a bit tight, so a bit of lube and be gentle fitting them.
I think it's the O rings that cause the tips to be tight, I've rolled the tips in my fingers which pushes the rings into the grooves.

I took my little one to the local turning association's annual get together, not a happy bunny until we had a conversation with a lovely woman who was doing a demo there, The Tiny Turner.
She's incredibly talented and at 4'10" tiny, which pleased my 'not so little one'.
And because it's just not possible to visit these things and not buy something I ended up taking some acrylics home.
kwDJB5W.jpg

Had some more toothpick cases delivered and had a quick look at reworking the design from the original one I made.
Took a 2/3mm ball rasp to a Mi, traced out an image and set to cutting a frog. Which I filled with malachite.

Nearly forgot to say, my next batch of African Blackwood will be coming from these people.
http://soundandfair.com/fair-trade/

Last edited:

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
@little maggie yes the M tips fit and should be fine.

All I can say is take care fitting any tip to a stem as some of them can be a bit tight, so a bit of lube and be gentle fitting them.
I think it's the O rings that cause the tips to be tight, I've rolled the tips in my fingers which pushes the rings into the grooves.

I took my little one to the local turning association's annual get together, not a happy bunny until we had a conversation with a lovely woman who was doing a demo there, The Tiny Turner.
She's incredibly talented and at 4'10" tiny, which pleased my 'not so little one'.
And because it's just not possible to visit these things and not buy something I ended up taking some acrylics home.
kwDJB5W.jpg

Had some more toothpick cases delivered and had a quick look at reworking the design from the original one I made.
Took a 2/3mm ball rasp to a Mi, traced out an image and set to cutting a frog. Which I filled with malachite.

Nearly forgot to say, my next batch of African Blackwood will be coming from these people.
http://soundandfair.com/fair-trade/
That is incredible looking. How did you get it in there after cutting out the frog shape?

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@StormyPinkness It's all new to me and I've seen a couple of ways of going about it.

I've been crushing the stone to a fine'ish sand/powder consistency, this gets brushed into the cut outs.
Each groove is overfilled so there is a small pile of stone covering it.
The stone then gets a soak in medium superglue.
Working round the pattern until it's all filled and glued.

Once the glue has set it's sanded back.
The turquoise stem was filed down with a diamond coated needle file then sanded, the Mi was abused with a belt sander.

There are a lot of materials available for the inlay and it's not going to be long before I've got a collection of them.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I couldn't leave the helmet there and had an idea and a piece of wood to try it out with, trued up a bit first.
UR283Db.jpg

Interesting doing the back side of it.

Had a last minute loss to the tail end but it's 2mm Beech and not very strong.

herbalist33

Phatts, IM BAAAAACCCCKKKK!!
Sorry for the hiatus, I managed to calm my obsessive vape/vapeware habits for a few months, so haven't been round these parts for a while.

I thought I'd pop my head in the shed to see what you've been busy with, and boy am I not disappointed!!! Quite a lot to catch up on, but your new pieces are stunning!! And that stone inlay is looking piggilicious!

Also, I need to go check out pipes thread- the sound of my turbo lighters is starting to raise funny looks from the Mrs whilst watching films etc, time to go stealth.

Keep up the good work buddy,
Peace

Top Bottom