Phattpiggies Wood Shed

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@natural farmer there shouldn't be any problems with heat and the exposed condenser, I tried the idea out a long time ago with this all SS stem.
jWPWymc.jpg

As for a weaker hit, I don't think any one would notice a drop off in potency just because of the extra vapor path length. Not at the lengths we are talking.
Be interesting to see it done scientifically just how much we all do actually lose.
As you say tho the extra length will give extra reclaim.

I've gone back to the longer Padauk stem and the vapor production is different, I wish I could put my finger on why. Just going to have to keep trying to work it out.

How's this for a bit of 'character'. Just need to clean out the rest of the dust/wax mix.
hSrTSgW.jpg

trw4E4D.jpg

almost there

Yes @M0J0, and having told me just how poor your relationship with glass is the last thing you needed to follow it up with was 'Wow man this stem so smooth, it feels like glass.'

I'll be able to incorporate Thuya into some other stem designs and anything with a thicker wall.
It doesn't get me down they broke or I've wasted a lovely blank and some money.
It's the time put into them that's way more precious.

Another wood, another story.

I had this 150mm Kingwood all done looking good when I pulled it off the mandrel it cracked, entirely my fault the bushes are tight to prevent any movement when turning stuff, but not every hole you put in a piece of wood is ever exactly the same.
What was tight on the Kingwood was just right on the Blackwood.
So a one piece stem got turned into Blackwood, Kingwood with a brass accent.
f1dvrYw.jpg

And because life's full of surprises the Blackwood had an inclusion in it.
1nsORQC.jpg
this is so very elegant, I imagine in my mind an ancient Egyptian background and this beautiful piece held by the pharaoh

needalift

I never knew natural carb holes existed in the wild. I LOVE it! Super neat!
:)
@natural farmer there shouldn't be any problems with heat and the exposed condenser, I tried the idea out a long time ago with this all SS stem.
jWPWymc.jpg

As for a weaker hit, I don't think any one would notice a drop off in potency just because of the extra vapor path length. Not at the lengths we are talking.
Be interesting to see it done scientifically just how much we all do actually lose.
As you say tho the extra length will give extra reclaim.

I've gone back to the longer Padauk stem and the vapor production is different, I wish I could put my finger on why. Just going to have to keep trying to work it out.

How's this for a bit of 'character'. Just need to clean out the rest of the dust/wax mix.
hSrTSgW.jpg

trw4E4D.jpg
Nice !! Does it work as a carb ??

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I'm afraid it doesn't work as a carb, the pillar drill I have has too much play in it for me to drill into the 5mm SS.
The person who it's being sent out to will post some better fotos when it arrives and all will be revealed.

Had a couple of packages arrive today, still waiting for one to get here which will hopefully arrive soon now the 420 frenzy has subsided.
African Blackwood and Indian Summer blanks. Busy times ahead.
dUZc9I6.jpg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Puffers, yes an acrylic which pairs well with African Blackwood.
9aBFY4d.jpg

I had to go looking for Movingui and see how availability is in the UK, and as ever it's not.
I did find an EU supplier with a reasonable shipping rate with some other very nice species.

Got a piece all cut and in the jig, fingers crossed it stays put. One down....
fOauJn8.jpg

Focus is all to shit on this one but you get the picture.
African Blackwood, ripped smaller, roughed out then turned to a cone
oTCIiSS.jpg

Which some time later becomes a Square
LcEZ502.jpg

Joaon

Magic .. Like that ? :D

-Thuya/Blackwood Twisted Square-
97EJUB0.jpg
4xrvvXv.jpg

hTOalNU.jpg

Many thanks @phattpiggie, it is a real pleasure to observe and to use this piece :tup::luv:

I like to feel the twist and the smooth wood on my palm during the spinning/heating,
i like the vapor that is so smooth and cool,
I like to show it to friends/family and look at their face
even more, I like to look at their face after a toke :D

:sherlock:

Last edited:

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Magic .. Like that ? :D

-Thuya/Blackwood Twisted Square-
97EJUB0.jpg
4xrvvXv.jpg

hTOalNU.jpg

Many thanks @phattpiggie, it is a real pleasure to observe and to use this piece :tup::luv:

I like to feel the twist and the smooth wood on my palm during the spinning/heating,
i like the vapor that is so smooth and cool,
I like to show it to friends/family and look at their face
even more, I like to look at their face after a toke :D

:sherlock:

Oooooh SHIT! That's beautiful now my WAS is all triggered, does that fit in a stash or is longer then a XL?

2391976463838e7c4eaa860d77c661fcf983de6a388d0f163f98cc7ee0de0621.jpg

PM will soon be inbound @phattpiggie

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Didn't have this finished earlier hence the back to back.
The last couple of days have been messy for a reason.

Scottish Yew shallow bowl, herb platter. Any and all suggestions and ideas welcome.
4 1/2", 114mm diameter, and 1 3/8", 35mm tall.
kNFwQru.jpg

Pao7TN8.jpg

needalift

Here's a picture just so you can all see it is just as romantic as you all imagine being a woodturner.
aC8VwXw.jpg
That's the image of a man that loves his work ( but was apparently caught off guard by someone with a camera:D ) .
Didn't have this finished earlier hence the back to back.
The last couple of days have been messy for a reason.

Scottish Yew shallow bowl, herb platter. Any and all suggestions and ideas welcome.
4 1/2", 114mm diameter, and 1 3/8", 35mm tall.
kNFwQru.jpg

Pao7TN8.jpg
Beautiful !!! My only suggestion is for you to send that to me:lol: . Great work homie !!!!

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@nickdanger to be perfectly honest I'm not sure how it would work out. I wouldn't be to keen having the Ti in the acrylic.
I'd be happy to do a piece with a Blackwood 'hot end' and acrylic stem/MP, with a full length SS condenser it should be okay.

Tulipwood under the tape ready for a bit of filing.
Had to order some more blanks as a couple split badly before they got turned.
dTUpZ5Q.jpg

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
@nickdanger to be perfectly honest I'm not sure how it would work out. I wouldn't be to keen having the Ti in the acrylic.
I'd be happy to do a piece with a Blackwood 'hot end' and acrylic stem/MP, with a full length SS condenser it should be okay.
Thanks, I'd love to have one! If I need to PM you to get on the list, let me know.

The reason for the question is that a friend of my husband's does small items such as pens and stuff. He had some short drops of acrylic that would work lengthwise for VC bodies. I was worried about the heat from the tip but not sure. I will just stick with wood in contact with the tips. I really didn't want to have to explain to him what it was for anyway...

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@GreenHopper you're more than welcome. Enjoy.

@nickdanger just tell the nice man they are 'Little Stems of Calm' and the more you have and the prettier they are, the calmer you will be.

As @VapCap and @Winegums know well no off cut gets thrown away, nearly all of them can be used some where or other.
So what do you do with a 10mm thick piece of M3 Mokume, you use it that's what.
Blackwood and Cobaltium with Aluminium.
pMo0DCG.jpg

bodhi_naut

There are so many gorgeous options here. I have not yet purchased a Vapcap, but I might prefer one of these bodies.

• Does Dynavap offer a kit without the body so that I can go straight here to buy one?
  • Or should I just buy a cap, tip, and condenser from the parts list?

Top Bottom