Phattpiggies Wood Shed

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@VanCough Having worked the M3 with a wood chisel, file and sand paper all I can say is it's held together with some sort of resin.
No idea what kind as it doesn't 'ribbon' like an acrylic and doesn't smell like the stabilised Buckeye I roughed out.
It files and sands lovely, minimal ribbon but plenty of dust.

I had a failure today which is always sad but as I wasn't altogether happy with the end result of the Cobalt/Lava it got Twisted.
Cyk25BP.jpg

It's given the 'grain' another dimension.

M0J0

I am a leaf on the wind ~ watch how I soar...
@VanCough Having worked the M3 with a wood chisel, file and sand paper all I can say is it's held together with some sort of resin.
No idea what kind as it doesn't 'ribbon' like an acrylic and doesn't smell like the stabilised Buckeye I roughed out.
It files and sands lovely, minimal ribbon but plenty of dust.

I had a failure today which is always sad but as I wasn't altogether happy with the end result of the Cobalt/Lava it got Twisted.
Cyk25BP.jpg

It's given the 'grain' another dimension.
Awesome stem! Does it have a soft finish, or is it a bit rough to the touch?

little maggie

I love my new pink ivory. I have way too many stems now since I got a wong from winegums but I may have to get back on your list. I keep hoping I'll find mu thuya. I live in a small apartment and my dog has me looking under furniture constantly for her rock so it must have gotten lost in an obscure place. I think it's one of the best I've seen.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@little maggie glad it all got sorted and I pleased you are happy with it. You should get the dog trained up to find such things if it happens again, I've threatened for ages to get a Springer Spaniel and get it's 420 nose on.

First attempt at a sleeve for the Eraser. A work in progress turned from Wenge.
dN3INu0.jpg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Had a delivery of wood arrive the other day and got another coming next week, then another to place next week. Not sure on the Cocobolo, it looks good on the one face and then you turn it round and all the lovely grain, colors and contrast all disappears. It's not quite what I was expecting.
7pag85Wm.jpg
XXIW1edm.jpg

Honey Bee Acrylic, Blackwood with exposed condenser. Just to see how it looked.
R4Ulxxk.jpg

M0J0

I am a leaf on the wind ~ watch how I soar...
Thuy, thuya, bloody thuya. Lovely looking wood but it's still causing me problems.
It's ending up way too time consuming, this was the third attempt at an Omni sleeve.
It just randomly cracks.
h2bqfOY.jpg
So all Thuya is brittle? Like Glass? (inside joke - sorry, couldn't resist). So sad, because it's beautiful wood though.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Yes @M0J0, and having told me just how poor your relationship with glass is the last thing you needed to follow it up with was 'Wow man this stem so smooth, it feels like glass.'

I'll be able to incorporate Thuya into some other stem designs and anything with a thicker wall.
It doesn't get me down they broke or I've wasted a lovely blank and some money.
It's the time put into them that's way more precious.

Another wood, another story.

I had this 150mm Kingwood all done looking good when I pulled it off the mandrel it cracked, entirely my fault the bushes are tight to prevent any movement when turning stuff, but not every hole you put in a piece of wood is ever exactly the same.
What was tight on the Kingwood was just right on the Blackwood.
So a one piece stem got turned into Blackwood, Kingwood with a brass accent.
f1dvrYw.jpg

And because life's full of surprises the Blackwood had an inclusion in it.
1nsORQC.jpg

Top Bottom