Phattpiggies Wood Shed

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@phattpiggie Perhaps we should declare facts of our discussion about acryl (-hybrids)

- Acryl has a melting point of 80°C
- After heavy use bodies/stems with condenser reach 60°C
- There is no contact between b/s and intake air
- To prevent acryl against overheating by the tip insulators between b/s and tips are recommended

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
@Hogni I hope you approve. Plastic or hybrid blanks are looking good for the future. Again not every one makes it. The second piece will be a 14mm Vong.
DISqsjDm.jpg
qZNvy6Qm.jpg

JEMKO0em.jpg
TPpxV7Fm.jpg

AAARRRRGHGHGHGHGH!

So the stabilised are finally a go in your opinion?

Man, you know I've been chomping at the bit for some of that sweet, sweet crazy stabilised eye candy! :)

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@emmdeemo

@Copacetic I will be ordering some more Red Mallee in the next week or so, some bits and bobs arrived this week so I'll be doing a little something for yourself in exchange for some sketches very soon.
I'll set to and do a couple of 18mm stems out of the Teak I have as practice and to finalise all the dimensions of any Mi stems.
@Hogni the 60C is a mere guess based on how they feel in the hand against hot water from a tap which is usually 60, the wooden adapters never get to 80C, I know the stems I've done with the brass get hot to touch which was to be expected as it's a really good heat conductor. Less than 100C as I've tested them with a wet finger.

Last edited:

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I'm suffering some serious vapouriser envy @emmdeemo, that VonG is a beauty!
The resin stems look stunning PP, gorgeous stuff.

I'd love to know more about the stabilisation method the Ed's TnT and Snappo have apparently been considering (maybe even testing?).
It sounds as though they may have a safer approach for high temp applications than the commonly seen stabilised wood.

I imagine that they'll be keeping details close to their chest for a while though.

Admittedly, VC stems probably don't see particularly high temps though, and your inclusion of an SS condenser further advances the safety of the device anyway (plus the wood ends too).
Seems fully 'belt and braces' to me :clap:.

I've started idly trawling the bay for used lathes.
Not gonna happen though, I've only got 240V and couldn't afford one anyway!
It's nice to daydream though :)

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Not every blank makes it, especially burr wood. The results can be stunning but it hides all sorts of secrets.
This piece looked like it was going to be a lovely Square until it cracked.
760dQFOm.jpg
wftbBclm.jpg

There must have been a weak point in the wood as part of it was shiny inside. Turning it must have relieved a bit of pressure and it popped right off.

One of those things, but you don't let a nice piece of wood go to waste.

You just hope there is enough meat left to be able to use it another way.

Blackwood and Thuya.
Aqil4Fd.jpg

It's meant another purchase of Thuya, one of the blanks was beyond plain and I couldn't send it out given how nice the others were.

@myfairlady enjoy your time away, there'll be a few more choices for when you get home.

HD Springer

The looks of that Blackwood and thuya might be the sweetest looking stem that I've seen. From anyone including yourself Phatts. Sorry to hear about the lost one. You always have a great attitude even when things go south. Of course we don't get to see it happen in real time. Who knows how many choice words and/or tools that might go flying. Jk. Of course. I know your a very level headed cat. Any who keep doing what your doing if for no other reason that I'm enjoying the hell out of it all. Peace.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I take a step back, count to ten, deep breathing get myself all calm and zen like.

As if :lol:. The air is blue, thick with some of the best expletives any one could ever want.

Never throw away any piece that doesn't make it, there will be some use for it.

Glad you're enjoying it @HD Springer, it has to be the most satisfying thing I've ever done and it can only get better.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Squares or Twists they start life as a basic cone shape. Squares are all done by eye and feel, Twists take a bit more work.
Equal divisions along the length and the diameter quartered, join the corners to give the twist effect.
pQ1s5zi.jpg

Then follow the lines with a fine tooth saw.
7f8QiRm.jpg

Then file,
RJzewWx.jpg

and file some more
H33GE7r.jpg

Purpleheart, Thuya, Padauk, Thuya and Purpleheart again.
More Padauk to come it's got some great colours going on.
BqIVunB.jpg

Joaon

Thuya burr, Thuya burr ! :rockon: Ouhaaaaa! Ouhaaa ! :luv:

Sorry for that, this thread give me some heart beats each time I receive a notification :tup:
Beautiful, as always PP ;) Can't wait to have a piece of your work ! :cool:

Ps: Very interesting to see how you make the twisted ones!
Is the lathe rotating, or all done by hands?
Anyhow, very lovely!
I think this deserve a resume/presentation post of different types/woods sterms you make!

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Joaon Thank you, the initial cone is turned everything after that is hand filed.

I've got some other ideas for the twists.
Setting out and filing then differently allows for some variation on a theme.

The Thuya Squares have proved to be popular. They are always a pleasure to do
Could be one headed over the channel next week;)

jimfish4130

If I spin my vapcaps anticlockwise with my left hand while heating will the twists feel more comfortable going one way or the other? Got a few ideas floating around as to what I want, just need to stop being so indecisive

Edit: still can't get over that chillum, not sure what wood I want though

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@jimfish4130 your spinning technique is the same as mine left hand, anticlock.
Clockwise or Anti it doesn't make any difference they spin fine.

@Joaon at this moment in time I'd happily do you a Composite Twisted Square.

Had a couple of casualties this week which brought the mood down and turned the air bluer than blue.

Thuya Squares, dropped one and was packing the other and they both snapped.
This one was dropped and it split near the tip end, I snapped the other end seeing how much it would take
msB0mE5.jpg

The bottom one was getting wrapped up and it went. One of those things. They both looked and felt fine.

More disappointed with not getting them out to the people they were destined for, but better to give up at mine than some one else's.

Gutted, but it's a piece of wood and a burr so just one of those things lesson learned, I'm hoping it was the batch of blanks. I got them from a different source so it'll be back to the original supplier.

So after a quick mourn I set to with some Padauk, the colors it has going on are infectious. It's so vibrant.

62mm Padauk Twist, only the top half has the finish applied, the wax really makes it 'pop'.
rtLkMEB.jpg

The only MP I have is for an Omni
Qrkm7Tv.jpg

In this segmented one the 'hot end' and the MP have been threaded, again no adhesive in the vapor path as the condenser runs the full length.
Ovangkol, Padauk and Blackwood MP.
FXsnglX.jpg

uRKeK02.jpg

Nothing up my sleeve at all @Squiby :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom