Phattpiggies Wood Shed

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Their are some really nice one's out there @Hogni, the Blackwood hot end is showing no signs of warming up so it looks like I'll have to give an acrylic blank a whirl.

If @VapCap ever get's a 3D metal printer then I get first dibs on a VC based around the bullets from the film 'Wanted'.
FXWyd2A.jpg

ihY52TT.jpg

dUOcjDm.jpg

The last one has me thinking of getting some condenser tube lazered for the open twist idea.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I stopped getting notifications for this thread... Just caught up. Holy shit this is some great updates! The Okinalike a few pages back is lovely, as is everything else :)

Just having a quick look on ebay, a whole bunch of these popped up on my search...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Natural-Xiu-Jade-Serpentine-Carved-Dragon-Cigarette-Holder/182414645123?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=40800&meid=e3d54efc1d5c4bed8fa007a106fa1147&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=3&sd=122307876088

Has any damn fool tried making a crystal vapcap yet? :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-89g-N...631910?hash=item237b213fa6:g:SrAAAOSwEzxYc7Al

Last edited:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
You are my man! Waiting for my phosphorescent 'firefly' stem!

Hammer! Perhaps you should ask @Ratchett for making these ones with his 3D-printer?

:lol: I can always 3D print vapor-safe 316T Stainless Steel, but it is extremely cost prohibitive to print.... Something of that size would easily cost $600+ per print!

I'm closely watching a new breed of metal 3D printers hitting the market later this year which basically use a MIG welder to lay down some slag and then a cutting blade to come over and smooth over the slag, essentially creating an FDM style printer for a variety of metals. Although those printers are still in the R&D phase and not quite available yet.

@phattpiggie and I are already working on a few things to be honest :D :ninja:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Tried out a couple of other ideas on the composite stems, there is no way that I can get them to turn with out using a glue to hold everything in place, the woods will just spin when the chisel comes into contact with them. I can't over tighten it all other wise bits will start to split at the diameters I've gone down to.

Here's a trio of fotos of what goes into them, the SS condenser is just under the full length of the stem. So no glue near the vapor path.
xtovQVE.jpg

x5Jor9Z.jpg

lgIMvYI.jpg

Pink Ivory ends with Blackwood accents and a Yew centre piece.

Kozzmozz

Infinite realities, infinite possibilities
I am really intriqued by the way they are fitted. Is that a rubber or wooden washer between the two strains?
If I understand it correctly this is more a Japanese no-nail technique? By turning them together they start to fit? And what if pressure is applied by for example cleaning the condenser?

Looks great mr.PP!

Edit: oh, the condenser is threaded, riiiiight.

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
Tried out a couple of other ideas on the composite stems, there is no way that I can get them to turn with out using a glue to hold everything in place, the woods will just spin when the chisel comes into contact with them. I can't over tighten it all other wise bits will start to split at the diameters I've gone down to.

Here's a trio of fotos of what goes into them, the SS condenser is just under the full length of the stem. So no glue near the vapor path.
xtovQVE.jpg

x5Jor9Z.jpg

lgIMvYI.jpg

Gorgeous! You are killing me...

little maggie

I have 2 of your stems. You keep making more and more beautiful ones. This one is especially nice.

xtovQVE.jpg

x5Jor9Z.jpg

lgIMvYI.jpg

Ruta

gD6dNIo.jpg
LGIxDi1.jpg

Well look what @phattpiggie made me, i only mentioned the idea of reusing my old pipe, have always liked the heavy feel of the stainless Budbomb (Agent Blue copy), and here it is, my non adjustable Omni :)
I've forgot the name of the tiny piece of wood used, i have had to vigorously test it, and i can report it works, would like to say it's cooler, but sadly only in looks, not vapour.
It's nice to go and chill in his workshop, chat shit and see his latest creations, the stem i saw today was stunning, and his attention to detail makes the recipient both a very lucky person, and to be commended in their choice of supporting the crafts people and smaller businesses.
Thanks again to @phattpiggie for his generosity and hospitality

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Social going on with @Ruta at the moment, he's robbed me of my lathe to do a piece for a friend who rescues some nice bits of wood. Along with just about anything you can imagine.

@Winegums inspired me to take the segmented stems up a notch, which lead me to spend way too much time watching videos of pen work.

Purpleheart is not the best of woods for this but worth trying, I've been attempting to speed up the oxidization and bring the best out of the Purpleheart, it has been showing some fantastic colors when drilled and there will be a way of bringing them out. This stem was sanded with a 120 grit and final 'polished' with a piece of yew.
I think the friction has helped a bit with the color, works but I split the bowl.
Purpleheart, Laburnum with brass.
zdsiWcT.jpg

Not all of them make it, Black Palm, Lemonwood, Zebrano and Purpleheart.
SlMx3AG.jpg

Got some more Thuya, seems popular:shrug:, so got this one done.
It'll be going out next week, little clue in the video who it could be for.
@emmdeemo has this on it's way as well. Red Mallee Burr, Lovely reds and cream colours going on.
EEUDWAe.jpg

p1r2T7j.jpg

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Hogni the MP end has the condenser permanently fitted. The Vong has it's own little condenser. All held in place with X rings.

Late edit
Here's a foto of the small condenser Hogni. One X ring in the Vong end to hold the MP piece in place and then 2 for the smaller condenser.
CWo961mm.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom