pesticides in buds

stinkytofus

have you guys been aware of the fact that the buds you've been getting, doesnt matter from where, is sprayed with pesticides? many of the pesticides used are not approved, organic weed sounds like something thats not possible to get atm, are you guys... concerned? whether you're vaping it or turning it into cannabutter/coconut oil?

Morty

Using a bubbler w/ a decent amount of diffusion & adding some cotton in the mouthpiece would help some. Kind of like SI Pipes McFinns Triple Filtered bubbler, but you probably wouldn't need the carbon since your vaporizing & not combusting. It will totally kill the flavor though, & filter out a good amount of THC as well.

Deleted Member 1643

have you guys been aware of the fact that the buds you've been getting, doesnt matter from where, is sprayed with pesticides?

Agreed - this should be a big concern for those not growing your own, especially with inhalation exposure.

I would be concerned but mine is deffinately organic ;)

Every bud that comes out of this closet is veganic!

Using a bubbler w/ a decent amount of diffusion & adding some cotton in the mouthpiece would help some.

Many pesticides are fat soluble. Remember DDT bioaccumulating in eagles and ruining their eggs? Doubt a bubbler's going to help much with these.

stinkytofus

Is there a way to get rid of the pesticides ? Im reluctant to vape or eat lol

stinkytofus,

stinkytofus

All of my buds, it came from cali from what my guy told me, quick google search u can find articles on growers using 1.5 lbs of pesticides to 11.5 flowers, the pesticides not approved for use even, i had this thought because ive been consuming cannacoconut oil, by eating it im eating pesticides too

howie105

Simply, different pesticides have different characteristics so there is no one way to deal with them all. Find the actual individual pesticides that you are concerned about and then you can find your options.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
All of my buds, it came from cali from what my guy told me, quick google search u can find articles on growers using 1.5 lbs of pesticides to 11.5 flowers, the pesticides not approved for use even, i had this thought because ive been consuming cannacoconut oil, by eating it im eating pesticides too

That is something I have never thought

Water wash could solve some of the problem but not all especially if plant is sprayed close to harvest (and insecticide soluble in thc)

The price to have huge buds with very high content of actives I guess

Andreaerdna,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I live in a legal state and I usually buy organic cannabis. Pesticides and heavy metals should be a concern for folks. Hopefully in the future when more states legalize there can be more testing done and more organic cannabis thats available.

stinkytofus

If u wash with water and salt it will remove most of the pesticides sprayed but not sure if its true

stinkytofus,

C No Ego

cartel weed- aka -brick weed... they soaked the stuff in pesticides to make it stronger! = Yuk - Legal Weed FTW

@stinkytofus Salts are fertilizers. when people flush plants @ close to harvest time those salt ferts get flushed out so the plants' natural aromas are present

edit - on the crazy side... I've thought that one of the only benefits from smoking "the cannabis" is to kill fertilizer, pesticide remains- like chemotherapy LOL... so smoking = chemotherpay... to hot for delicate living things yet kills off bad stuff too! LOFL

Last edited:

Paka-cholo

Flaccid Member
I'm very concerned with pesticide in flower. I only buy from 1 grower. I've seen the process from start to finish, and know it's organic. Of course it's very limiting. I only have access to 2-3 strains, but I'd trade that to know the flower is clean. Now my concentrates are another story. I usually stick to flower though.

Paka-cholo,
Reactions: Alexis

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Just a couple very popular systemic pesticides/fungicides cannabis growers often use that you should be looking out for on your labels There are many others though:

Eagle 20 (Myclobutanil)
Fertilome (Propicanazole) - systemic fungicides with very long half lives

Avid (abamectin)
Forbid (spiromesifin)
Floramite (Bifenazate) - Systemic pesticides with very long half lives.

Ask your budtender what specifically was used, and become familiar with product names. Look them up and see what risks are associated. Often times these are used for ornamental plants not meant for consumption, so it is important to be aware of what was being used and how long it will remain inside the plant tissue.

If you have the ability to figure out your own situation,

Generally, a good strategy is to stick with surfactant pesticides such as neem oil alternating occasionally with spinosad or beneficial mites/ladybugs etc. Bacillus thuringiensis can also be a helpful deterrent if caterpillars are an issue. Then it helps to place some dill nearby as it is known to supposedly attract ladybugs and repel mites. Other good options are nasturtiums, rosemary, lemongrass and peppermint as these are also known to repel bugs. Then stop spraying altogether once flowering starts in earnest, and try to keep air moving around the plants at all times to discourage any mold or mildew development.

Just some probably useless information. But it's there nonetheless!

Alexis

Maybe bubble hash is the best chance of reducing all contaminants? I dont mean literally ridding "all" contaminants, I just mean for the most all round harm reduction. I believe it is far superior to water curing for cleaning out impurities.

Alexis,

snaffle

I've used a 10 day water cure to remove contaminants before. It may not get everything, but anything water-soluble should be removed, which in my case was better than throwing it away.

Growing your own or buying certified organic cannabis is obviously preferable, but some of us won't be in a position to do either, unfortunately.

@Alexis, producing a concentrated product may help, but depending on the contaminants I wouldn't be confident that you wouldn't be concentrating that too. The amount of time it would take to go through the likely contaminants and figure out whether they'd be likely to be removed is possibly better spend trying to find a better supply ;) (@Alexis, I saw on another thread you've had an excellent harvest recently, congratulations!)

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Even in a backyard garden u can't be shure if ur neighbour isn't using just a little roundup to keep his driveway clean...so move out into the wild :D
Same with fertillizer - good natural soil alone can be to much for some genetics but it will still be called 'organic'

Top Bottom