1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

People who "toast" their hot dog buns

Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by 2 Cycle, Jul 19, 2017.

1. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle Well-Known Member

Not a fan of this practice at all. Some people swear that it improves the texture of a hot dog but I hate it and you won't see me doing it. I think it robs the hot dog of it's charm and makes the hot dog hot to hold, potentially causing a burn. Had a guy at work who raves about toasting up his buns before putting a hot dog in and I just walked away. Are you a bun toaster too?

2. muunch

muunch hotboxing the cockpit

no one is making you like good things, it is ok man.

i toast my buns and invite all to toast theirs.

it's just wrong otherwise.

a slight toast... a gentle crisp if you will...

if you burn it; that's on you.

only a true bun connoisseur would understand.

check us out at fuckuntoastedbuns.com

3. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

We can offer you a 12 step program, that with crisp adherence to the program rules and processes, will rid you of your compulsion for cold soggy buns.

Join us. We'll help you to toast a toasted bun and love it! :D

4. subway13029

subway13029 Well-Known Member

gotta steam the bun. that makes the dog!

Vapor_Eyes, JCat, XiolaOne and 7 others like this.
  5. 2 Cycle

If toasted buns are so good, the why aren't the buns toasted at Red Sox games? Ever have a Fenway frank? Now that is a hot dog, not all charred up and just right.

Vapor_Eyes, JCat, RUDE BOY and 4 others like this.
  6. turk

turk turk

...but they like neil diamond too....so there's that...

JCat, RelaxedNow, Stu and 6 others like this.
  7. muunch

Red Sox fans are heathens who can't be trusted to have proper taste in the almighty dogg-department.

I'm betting they don't pay the workers enough to toast the buns or they don't have the technology to properly do so :nod:

8. turk

turk turk

...they have the technology...they just can't fit it in that antiquated facility of theirs....(full disclosure.....I'm from...well you know...new york...lol)

JCat, RUDE BOY, duff and 3 others like this.
  9. muunch

:cheers:

my man.

anyway, i was taking the piss with my first post. just had a few rips and i'm still not fully broken in after my few day break... but in the past few minutes my desire to have a hotdog has greatly increased... may or may not be the herb...

cheers @2 Cycle - got the toaster oven warming up for ya

Vapor_Eyes, JCat, RUDE BOY and 4 others like this.
  10. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Click to play YouTube Video

RUDE BOY, TeeJay1952, muunch and 2 others like this.
  11. 2 Cycle

Do they even serve hot dogs at that new Yankee stadium? I hear they try to cater to the uppity crowd there so probably sushi and martini's. For the record, I am perfectly fine with a steamed bun. Just no open flame charring or toasting, thx. Messes with the flavor too much, a hot dog should be encapsulated in a soft bread bun. Some mustard, onion, catsup. Perfect

Vapor_Eyes, macbill, RUDE BOY and 4 others like this.
  12. muunch

NY has half decent hotdog carts! lol Nothing compared to Chicago and other places I'm sure.

I haven't even been to the new Yankee Stadium so >_>

What are your thoughts on Sonoran Hot Dogs?

I declare NEW DOG ORDER in this thread folks

13. duff

duff Well worn

Nevermind your uppity spelling, the fact that you put ketchup on your dog disqualifies you from voting!

And yes I am a bun toaster!

Vapor_Eyes, JCat, Stu and 7 others like this.
  14. uhranium

uhranium Well-Known Member

whoa whoa whoa, calm down duds. We're all amigos here.

1st: toasting is optional, sometimes I put em in the microwave to moist them up, makes it easier to cut open. then i toast it slightly

2nd: why they don't toast it in venues? because you need to do this shit at home to really enjoy it. Outdoors you'd get a cold crusty bun and nothing else

3rd: who's against ketchup? I do ketchup as a standard, mustard as a 2nd (but not 100% of the time) standard. Toppings are mayonaise, hamburger-sauce (derived from danish remoulade) and onion-y hotdog sauce.

JCat, RUDE BOY, GreenHopper and 3 others like this.
  15. 2 Cycle

I am passionate about my dogs and feel my way of hot dogging is the best. No real hot dog eater would toast a bun, just look at Nathan's hot dog eating contest. No toasting there

Vapor_Eyes, RUDE BOY, turk and 4 others like this.
  16. duff

duff Well worn

National Hot Dog and Sausage Council

May have to use that line.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  17. Diggy Smalls

Diggy Smalls Tom Cruises

It's a bun. If it's white bread, it doesn't have much flavor anyway. Slight toast to the bin, or cold out of the fridge, I don't really care. I put mustard on mine and that's it. Though sometimes I'll do warm kraut if it's available and I'm having a white hot.

But seriously, the bun is the part that matters least to me cause it has the least amount of flavor. My girlfriend loves her bun very very lightly toasted, though.

18. TeeJay1952

TeeJay1952 Well-Known Member

As I watched the Red Dwarf sketch (thanks) I thought that every one of those permutations of "toast" sounded better than the white bread cold bun proffered by OP. {Ketchup? Heresy I say!} :rockon::myday:

19. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

If you handed me the world's best, most tastiest wiener presented on an untoasted bun with a squeeze of ketsup globbed on top, I'd have to just walk away.
    Or maybe I'd grab that wiener from the bun, wipe it off on my shirtsleeve and run.

20. duff

duff Well worn

Awesome imagery @Squiby!

And the double entendres haven't even really been unleashed!

To get this weiner train back on track, I enjoy the bun toasted or untoasted. It really depends on the situation.

Toasting does add an interesting note to a rather insipid vessel.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  21. Ohmie

Ohmie Govrnmnt fund adult circumcision & frenuloplasty!

22. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I am an agnostic on the bun as I have enjoyed both steamed and toasted. Dog too. But, even though I understand some one, some where LIKES catsup/ketchup on a hot dog, I do not fall into that category. In fact, it shares the only food death penalty in my book. I'll eat lots of things, but not something where that purple beet juice leaked to on a salad OR a drop of the cloying tomato condiment on top of a hot dog. Tomatoes? "Sure!" Ketchup? "I'm sorry, but you must have meant it for one of the children here."

https://i1.wp.com/media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/hot_dog_v5.jpg?resize=600,2700

23. turk

turk turk

...this thread is a good funny read....also a bun agnostic...although I would never heat mine..but if I went somewhere and they were heated....wouldn't be a deal killer...but...I agree with duff and others who said ketchup...that's not good man...mustard rules.

24. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

I'm all about the fried onions.

I like only one half of my bun toasted and I like the dog notched (semi sliced).

Drizzle of mustard on the dog with the onions laying on top.

Damn I just got hungry...

25. turk

turk turk

...nothing wrong with onions....

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors