PD vs. MZ a Krazy Function Comparison.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
UPDATED FINALLY: 11-18-09
Sorry it took so long. Have been busy, won't bore you with the details.
Let me start off by saying that I would recommend either of these vaporizers to a friend or confidant. Both do have pro's and con's, and some can vary depending upon personal preference. My second impression review should be fairly short, as these are two similar units.

Long story short, the PD does produce fuller and thicker vapor, and more of it. The difference is not night and day, but still very noticeable. It seems obvious to me, the PD runs a bit warmer then the MZ (even after switching to a 13v power supply). I personally prefer the temp of the PD. It still never burns the herb, but as many PD owners know, with very dry herb you can taste a very very very faint burnt popcorn taste (nothing like he 240 degree plus range in my E) at the end of a stem. This usually is only obvious to me with very high quality herb, the kind that just seems to keep going and going in the PD. That last hit, is not unpleasant, but for sure does not have that good taste. This can be avoided by PD users, by simply not taking the last "asshole" hit as i used to call them at the end of a combustion pipe. Except with combustion much much more is wasted in the end of a glass pipe, mixed in with the ash my true definition of the "asshole" hits. With the MZ, I have never hit this taste, even after extensive hits. I actually have had my MZ plugged into a 13v adapter instead of the standard 12v for the last couple of weeks. This improves performance IMO, to a near PD temp. The MZ is still running a little lower in temp though, which i do sometimes enjoy for a morning vape session.

The difference in the amount of vapor that is actually produced is most evident, when i plug both of the fellas into one of my two bongs. I can actually see within my bong itself the vapor, once again the PD is still a thicker producer even with the 13v plug on the MZ vs. the 12v on the PD. I would be interested in trying a 13.5v plug on the MZ also, and will order one once Rik starts to carry them via his site (which has been updated for those who haven't looked recently).

As far as stems, I have experimented a little more now. The PD stems do fit in the MZ, but it is a very tight fit. Still usable. I like the new "outtie" PD stems best followed by Rik's stems and finally by the old "innie" PD designs. The outtie designs seem to work slightly better as 14mm bong adapters, and this is the main reason for my preferences. After debating back and forth in my own mind, there might actually be a slightly stronger flavor in the PD stems, maybe. Practically too close to call, but i am also partial in the slight increased length in the PD stems while using the PD. But, the MZ with a 12v plug produces such light vapor, the extra length isn't really needed. In my personal opinion, performance is increased a lot through use of a 13v plug instead of the standard 12v. This would not always be true, to those who like a very very light vapor. The MZ on 12v seemed a bit like the first couple of hits from my LB. Very very light, and in the wrong light you sometimes almost take hits on taste and faith alone, with only very lightly visible vapor beyond the first hit. OK. Hope this helps. Any more questions, give me a shout i'll check this thread every couple of days. Good luck to all you future woodheads.

Upon another inspection spent duff in the PD is a very light to medium colored brown. In the MZ, herb tends to be very very very dark green in most spots with some light brown.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: 10-20-09 Day One With The MZ

Very nice looking unit. Rick for sure "picked" the front of the unit and spot for the LED correctly. Showcase vape. I do like the LED light. Was on the fence as to if Rick should add one or not. I think I made the right choice. It won't be to bright while sleeping, and it just scream, "I am on and ready. Come vape me!"

I have barely hit 2 hours with a plugged in MZ, but just tried my first 3 stem. Works no doubt. Will wait for a much longer warm up time before even beginning to comment on functional comparisons with the PD.

Stems are much shorter then the PD stems. The bowl diameter seems to be the exact same, but although the Zap stems work in the PD the PD stems are a little to wide for the Zap. Odd. Somehow the PD stems fit in the old softwood Zap too, but not the current MZ. I do like the Nylon though. Seems to have a very clean taste. Will try and comment on that in more detail on a later date after much more testing. Also, something mentally i like about a stem that isn't semi transparent. I do like how the PD stems stand on their end a little better. I also prefer the extra length the PD stem provides. They both seem to fit into my 14mm down stem with about the same seal, but i will also test this more later.

Screen vs. crossbar must be compared well too. I assume Tom made the change in an effort to increase airflow. If this in conjunction with other modifications worked in improving function or not is to be determined. As most PD users i never was worried of little bits falling into the heating element. But then again i developed a puffing style that i always took my first PD puff upside down to set the load from falling. This will be unneeded in the MZ. Nice as it is now my bedroom vape.

PD packaging is a little more refined. No biggie for me. I rarely defuse oil's, but the simple cap from PD vs. the butterfly defuser that come with the Zap is subjective. The zap came with a little plug to pack bowls down. I like to use this only when plugging a stem into my bong. Just rubbed in some flax seed oil in the MZ. I do prefer the buzz butter, very cool product, but i guess this could be subjective too. Most would agree. The extra stem that comes with the PD (although Rik now offers 3 stems to FC members), is almost mandatory IMO. I like having the cleaning bottle and duff bag too. I choose to have Rik give me 5 total stems and no power supplies. After a 4th stem I will say it again, I do like the nylon.

mzinhand1.jpg

MZ

pdinhand.jpg

PD

mztray.jpg

MZ on Small Tray

pdtray1.jpg

PD on Big Tray

stems.jpg

Stems

IAmKrazy2,

Beezleb

Thanks. I look forward to review as it progresses.

Happy comparing!

Beezleb,

Rick

Zapman
The little wooden dowel is a stem tip tamper. We prefer our loads a bit more on the tight side so we include the tamper if desired.
There is a thorough thread on posting pictures that Tom posted here in the lounge.

Rick,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks Rik. I see the sight is updated. Will have time to look a little more later.

IAmKrazy2,

max

Out to lunch
Screen vs. crossbar
The crossbar on the PD keeps the spring loaded heat exchanger in place, if I remember correctly, so it's necessary, with or without a screen.

max,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Here's how to post images:
1) Go to imageshack.com
2) In the box at the top right of that imageshack page, make sure UPLOAD is selected, then click the BROWSE button. Use that to navigate to where your photo is found on your hard drive.
3) Click the menu that says RESIZE and select your size. I recommend 800 x 600.
4) Click START UPLOAD. If the file is directly from your camera and has not been resized then it may take a few minutes to upload. Be patient.
5) On the page that will soon appear it will show a box at the top that says "DIRECT LINK TO IMAGE" and will have a url on the left that looks something like this:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9940/sunmoonshaman24inch.jpg

Highlight that url by clicking inside the text - all of it - then click control-C to copy it.
Come back here once you have copied it and paste it into your message by clicking Control-V like this:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9940/sunmoonshaman24inch.jpg

Now, double click the http that you just pasted from imageshack into your post here and once it is highlighted / selected, click on the box just above your message that says "Img" just above the Sad Face icon. That will put one
on the right of it. So it will look like this:

[There are other ways of doing it. You can also just manually put the
after it.)

And when you post the message it will look like this, but with your photo :D :cool:
sunmoonshaman24inch.jpg

If you have any trouble getting this to work, post your work here and I'll see what went wrong.

ADDED LATER:
Ooops! Didn't see the post above that said there was a guide to posting images, already posted. Oh well, since I already made this I'll leave it. After you post your images I will delete it.

MoeOnTheMoon,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks Moe. Got the first batch up. Next got to take some in better light. I will also post pictures of all my vape glass and other accessories later.

IAmKrazy2,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Wow! That's a BEAUTIFUL MZ! Great work, Rick! I think I've decided already...:D
But right, this is about function... Can't wait to hear the comparisons.

I look forward to your comments on function.

MoeOnTheMoon,

lord

IAmKrazy2:

Can you comment on how well each work as an oil diffuser? Also, I remember reading something like the MZ not performing as well as a vape if its being used as an oil diffuser -- is that rumor true? is it the same for the PD?

lord,

VapoFish

lord

The MZ works great as an oil diffuser. Rick sends a small bottle of essential oil with each MZ. I've got lemon and it smells great.

The MZ doesn't receive as much airflow when the diffuser is attached, so if you vape right after removing it the heating element isn't @ max temp. Simple solution: remove the diffuser about 10 minutes before you vape ... the MZ will reach maximum temperature and perform like a champ.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the same is true for the PD.

:peace:

VapoFish,

lwien

VapoFish said:
The MZ doesn't receive as much airflow when the diffuser is attached, so if you vape right after removing it the heating element isn't @ max temp.
Why wouldn't a restricted airflow cause in increase in temp?

lwien,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
As of right now, the defuser cap from the PD seemed to work a little better then the MZ with the butterfly attachment when i put some incense inside for some good vibe smells. Just a little hotter and a little more aroma coming off. It might be too much for incense, when i went to smell my PD up close I started sneezing. I always was sensitive to incense, I have not actually tried any oils in either.... yet. But that PD cap got very very hot. The PD defuser cap gets much hotter and has a longer cool down time though, so be careful. I am waiting a week before i fully comment on hit and function PD vs MZ. But, at this time the PD has the slight functional edge in producing vape, no doubt.

IAmKrazy2,

VapoFish

Iwien

Good question. This has been posted about in other threads, so I'm restating what I've read (perhaps not too coherently though - a taste of some dankness has been my friend for much of the morning :D ).

I can definitively say that the MZ hits better after the diffuser has been removed for a few minutes.

:peace:

VapoFish,

reece

lwien said:
Why wouldn't a restricted airflow cause in increase in temp?
the diffuser acts as a heat sink.

IAmKrazy2 said:
I am waiting a week before i fully comment on hit and function PD vs MZ. But, at this time the PD has the slight functional edge in producing vape, no doubt.
you did say the PD performed better after about a week, didn't you? And you thought it may have to do with you getting the hang of it as opposed to it needing to dry more (like the Zap)? So, now that you have the hang of it (which should remove that as a factor), how do you compare the current function of the Zap (not fully dried) to the function of the PD (kiln dried) before that week passed? And do you still think the performance of the PD was due to the learning curve?

reece,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I still think the performance increase in my PD had little to do with a learning curve. My personal opinion, it just runs a little hotter once on 24/7 for more then a week. The wood dried, and hits became thinker IMO. I actually feel like there is even a break-in period beyond that of a week. At one point, i would hit my PD with a beer coozie on, almost all the time. This probably only lasted two weeks, and probably started after I had my PD for a little more then a week. The hits seemed more dense, and I was able to get another full hit out of the real good stuff. All of a sudden, it was too much to have the coozie. I could tell by taste the vape had gone to a temp a little to high for my personal liking. Now, I never use a coozie anymore, and i feel hits are as thick and satisfying as ever. I respectfully disagree with Tom in this regard.

This is why I am waiting longer for a full review. I know some improvement will come, even if it is slight. That being said, I do truly hope the MZ will catch up in function with the PD. Believe me, I want it to work just as well as the PD. We will see.

As of right now, MZ hits are not nearly as thick or full as those from my PD. The second hit, seems to be the best, as with the PD. At this time, vapor is much lighter then the PD vapor though. Although the MZ is producing a tasty vape, at this time it doesn't make me smack my lips together afterward like the best headies does in the PD.

IAmKrazy2,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Uh, as a newbie, I have no idea what a beer coozie is. Would someone mind explaining that one. I did a search but the search only led me to the PD thread which has like ten gazillion posts.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Oh, okay! I know what it is, I just didn't know it by that name!

MoeOnTheMoon,

VapoFish

I haven't used a koozie -yet- . If I do I'll let you know how it worked for me. Others have posted that it's worked for them.

VapoFish,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I did try a coozie on the Zap yesterday. Problem was, I am still experimenting with my VHW. After .3g's of my finest herb through the VHW I forgot about the zap upstairs in my room until right before i went to bed. I just took the coozie off and went to sleep.

That VHW did kick my ass. Only I hate to think of how many stems i could have got out of the PD/MZ with .3 grams.

IAmKrazy2,

Beezleb

I dont blame you, I like the bigger draws too. I prefer to have a one wand to get right where I want to be rather than to have to do a bunch of smaller bowls and all the reloading, it would irritate me but for those who like little amounts, its the greatest thing since sliced bread hehe.

One thing that is good about doing smaller size bowls is due to the issue that it takes a few minutes or so for the vapor to really kick in by the time you fix another tube you are able to judge if or the size of the next bowl better. This information was told to me by a terminally ill person who gave the vaporizer to his son as it did not fit his needs but he was given a warez 3g and it was more effective for him.

All a matter of preference and you have such a great collection of vaporizers that enables you to benefit from just about any part of the vaping spectrum from using small amounts to large amounts. Bravo!

I look forward to how this progresses.

Beezleb,
Top Bottom