1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

Discussion in 'Glass' started by t-dub, Dec 8, 2012.

1. PandaLee

PandaLee Well-Known Member

When I get a stain on my quartz bangers that I can't remove with qtips, iso and/or crystal cleaner (doesn't really happen often, as I'm mostly low with the temps), I use PBW with a little warm water, not dissolved. I use a qtip with the pbw granules to help scrub off the stain. And it always works...but I wonder if I'm actually scratching the quartz or if it could be bad. So far they look good and smooth (not scratched!)

BigJr48, ataxian and MoltenTiger like this.
  2. Atomic11

Atomic11 Member

ataxian likes this.
  3. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Decent looking beaker.

With PBW, a bottle brush can speed things up but it's not entirely necessary. Multiple hot washes does a great job with a stoppered beaker.

Alternatively, a rinse with strong alcohol mixed with table salt (abrasive agent) is sometimes a good first step for cleaning.

If you do want a brush, you'll need a large sized bottle brush. You can get them in a range of sizes, and a set might be the way to go for the stem, joint and neck.
    Baby bottle brushes are easy to find in stores, but will probably be too small.
    Brewery supply stores, and all the usual internet outlets will have the better options.

Easywider, ataxian and MinnBobber like this.
  4. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Yeah, load me a demon lung and I'll be alright now

Sorry if this is asked but i guess PBW isnt 100% water soluable ,as it leaves stains? I am afraid that some of that fine dust is going to stuck in the glass and end up inhaling it. Salt and alcohol seems a safer way still :).

ataxian likes this.
  5. MoltenTiger

It is very soluble, if you use the right amount and stir it in it fully dissolves. The solution is free rinsing and doesn't leave a trace if used properly. I'm not sure if the staining would really be much more of an issue other than unsightly, I think vinegar rinses it away anyway. I find it easier to rinse away than alcohol with plain water and careful use. Whatever works though, as long as the glass is sparkling who could complain! I have mostly been using denatured alcohol and salt recently, or just plain water and detergent (dish soap or a eucalypt based 'no bong pong') :)

ataxian likes this.
  6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Use hot water and stir, it dissolves.

7. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

Opinion’s R like assholes.

I used PWD and ran out.
    My wife used hot water from the tap with dishwasher tablet & dish soap.
    She used Clean water 2-rise. (Sensitive to flavor profile)
    4 a BREWERY or larger automatic conveyor’s the PWD is a product for the professionals..
    KISS (keep it simple #&$*=/&$) !

MoltenTiger and jl420 like this.
  8. BlueHueCO

BlueHueCO Active Member

I use Iso generally, but when the supply dries up, I may need to look into PBW. Simple question, any specific brands you guys recommend? Any you don't? Thanks!

ataxian likes this.
  9. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

Simple green work’s, however something to the final rise.
    Some use white vinegar.
    I use a LIME I squeeze in the rinse?

jl420 and BlueHueCO like this.
  10. BlueHueCO

BlueHueCO Active Member

Thanks for the idea, I got a bit of that laying around too. Should all hold me over well!

jl420 and ataxian like this.
  11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

12. BlueHueCO

BlueHueCO Active Member

Baron23 and ataxian like this.
  13. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Yeah, load me a demon lung and I'll be alright now

Yeah ! Five star PBW is all i got ! I took a little vinegar to get rid of it,but yes it dissolves fully ! Thx for the input guys !

14. MoltenTiger

Yeah, Five Star Chemicals make a good bunch of products, all specifically for brewing equipment.
    PBW is perfectly suited for deep cleaning bongs. Especially intricate percs.

Just to clarify something I wasn't very clear on before, PBW is free rinsing and is safe to be rinsed down the drain with plain water. I usually do a few washes under a hot tap before a few rinses under cold.

I was referring to removing post-PBW cloudy staining by rinsing with vinegar. It's better to simply avoid the cloudy salt forming, don't leave it to soak for extended periods, rinse and wipe the outer glass surface thoroughly. If you do soak, don't leave air gaps.
    I typically flush the solution after ~10mins and refill if more cleaning is required. Doing this 3 times with freshly boiled water is more effective than a 30 min soak IME.

dimmusp, Baron23, PandaLee and 4 others like this.
  15. BlueHueCO

BlueHueCO Active Member

This sounds useful to know, thanks!

MoltenTiger and ataxian like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors