Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dammit

Yeah, nothing happens when the light is blue. When it works right, and I do get it to power on, it goes into stand by in 13-14 sec. also... ok, just chatted w/ customer service, solid blue light is def. not right, I am having to send this back, and have to WAIT for stock to come back in for a replacement... so BOOO on that, but the CS chat feature sure is nice, and they were happy to help me out. Supposedly this is a new problem. I am also going to get the purple one, since that was what I REALLY wanted... so at least I got to use it for a day... I'll mess with it a bit more, then clean it and box it up to send back tomorrow. :\
That sucks dude. And you were so excited about getting it too. The mouth piece not staying down is just because you keep pushing it down too far. Just push it until you hear the first click and then stop. That's the sound of the clip catching, but if you go past that, you engage the release mechanism. I've never gotten the blue light before though. If I were you, I'd fiddle around with it until they get your new one in stock at least before you send it back. Hopefully you can get it going for a bit before however long it takes to get the purple one back in stock.

Just did a super fast first test, couldn't wait, so I put it on low, got more flavor than vapor, so I put it on med, it instantly started giving me good vapor, so I put it on high, and stuck it on top of a bubbler, and it MILKED the bubbler instantly. When I took the oven lid off to see the condition of the herb, I expected to see brown, and it was still mostly green! I decided that was a great first impression, and put it back on the charger until I get a green light... Very pleased with this PAX so far!! :tup: I would also like to mention that the blue finish in bright light is very blue, but not the bright electric blue I was anticipating. In dim light it almost looks purple, and doesn't really draw attention to the eye the way I was expecting it to do. It's much more subtle. The device itself is nice in the hand, smooth, light, but feels durable. I am a HUGE sucker for anything color changing, so the LED light as an indicator works great IMO, unless you are colorblind. I am looking forward to getting to know this little vape better :D

@jamb- what adapter did you use to hook up your pax to a bub?

UpUpandAway,
1) All of you hurting from low stock? If you guys are near the SF Bay Area, there are two headshops that currently still have the PAX in local stock (this was true as of last friday at least). I checked out the purple and blue models in person and bought myself a second cobalt one to supplement my onyx one that is stuck on medium permanently due to the button. Check out Goodfellaz and Pipe Dreamz in haight-ashbury, SF. That's where I got mine and they had at least 10-15 more boxes on the shelf when I was there last. $249.00.

Anyone in the LA area (or anyone in socal willing to drive to LA) should check out the Vapor Spot. They currently have onyx in stock. The people who work there are super cool and knowledgeable, too.

http://thevaporspot.com/

edit: Mods, sorry for the back-to-back. Please merge.

dudeeitsbrian

for anyone who is wanting to attempt to modify your pax so that the battery is only connected by physical connections; i strongly suggest against this.

while my initial attempt looked like a success, it actually caused more problems then it resolved. now i can replace the battery easily, however my battery is only lasting for ~30 minutes :(

i don't know the specifics of the problem, but i know pax has some kind of microchip, and i think it needs the battery connection to be soldered in order for the battery status indicator to work properly. i do not know why, all i know is when i had the same batteries soldered in they worked, and with my new setup they do not work nearly as well.

thankfully i found a shop in my area that said they will spot weld tabs to a li-ion battery, so after i get my NCR18650B's i'll be bringing them there for them to deal with :)

mephisto

Thanks for the update, dudeeitsbrian, I was a session away from doing the swap. Keep us tuned in for the
next move. It sounds like the spot welds may solve your/our problem. I sure appreciate the mods and the updates.

mephisto,
Reactions: willieR

dudeeitsbrian

Thanks for the update, dudeeitsbrian, I was a session away from doing the swap. Keep us tuned in for the
next move. It sounds like the spot welds may solve your/our problem. I sure appreciate the mods and the updates.
glad you didn't perform the swap.

seems the physical connection just isn't reliable enough, thats the only thing i can think of. it doesn't make sense, the device works just as usual, the battery life is just horrible.

dudeeitsbrian,

JoeKickass

seems the physical connection just isn't reliable enough, thats the only thing i can think of. it doesn't make sense, the device works just as usual, the battery life is just horrible.
That's really bizarre... I guess we'll find out once and for all when you get the tabs on though!

so what does it mean when you click it on, and the light is solid blue? I've had it happen twice now. I clicked it off and on a few times, then got the white/purple heating light. Hmmmm
Oh man, there have been times when I saw that pretty blue flash during party mode (and during stand by) and wished it would stay on longer... but not that long :(

Did you try putting it in party mode and see if that makes it stay on long enough to get a sesh out of it?
(party mode does disable cool-down so it might work...)

JoeKickass,

dudeeitsbrian

That's really bizarre... I guess we'll find out once and for all when you get the tabs on though!
ya i'm going to the store tomorrow, going to have them put tabs back on the old batteries that i ripped them off of lol.

also, the new mouthpiece really does make a huge difference. my old pax's mouthpiece was stuck in today, just got the new pax and after getting the mouthpiece unstuck from the old pax, i tried the new mouthpiece in the old device; no sticking at all, just like brand new. i'll be buying a replacement mouthpiece so i have 2 good ones :p

jambandphan03

in flavor country
@jamb- what adapter did you use to hook up your pax to a bub?

I used a rubber cap from a thermovape product tube (larger version of the MFLB end caps). I simply cut a hole in the tip for air flow. Probably not the best thing to use, but it was handy and seemed to work ok. Wasn't really air tight, but I got a decent pull through it anyway.

ok, under advice of another pax user, I am going to leave my pax plugged in over night on the charger, and see how it behaves in the morning. It's already cleaned up so I don't want to try using it unless it starts behaving normal.

just chatted w/ploom customer service, I have to say having CS chat is awesome! They advised me to wait until stock is back in to ship the return. In the mean time, I will see if I can get it to work, but don't have high expectations.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

JoeKickass

In the mean time, I will see if I can get it to work, but don't have high expectations.

If you happen to get it purple again, hold it horizontal, and then rotate it like a rifle bullet, not like spin the bottle. This will activate party mode, and should prevent cool-down from activating (if that's what's happening)

You can do it even when it's warming up (in purple)

But it won't turn green when it's ready so you have to guess

I don't think Ploom will know it's been used, Pax cleans up well ;)

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I got it charged back up, and loaded again, and now can't get a purple light, only blue... I'll keep trying, see if I can get party mode to work if I see purple, but this one is a dud. I did get the hang of the click on/off, and not fighting that anymore...

***edit, got the purple light finally after many click on/off tries, and did the roll, got party mode to come on... took a hit, then clicked it off, and it is stuck on blue again. I tried the roll with the blue light, and nothing changed.

jambandphan03,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I really think it's the mouthpiece. Try pulling it out and slowly pushing it back in. I think this may have happened to me once..

Tstat,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
tried that a bunch of times. I am getting purple about every 20 or so clicks on/off, the rest of the time blue, and when I pull the mouthpiece it stays blue... I can see this is a fantastic vaporizer under normal circumstances, so I am not turned off of the Pax at all, just wish I didn't get the crappy one.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I keep palming it to show the blue light shining on my hand, it's hard to see the color of the led through the video.

On the VapeWorld site it says orders placed are estimated to ship Sept. 10 but I could not get customer service rep at Ploom to name a date for restock. I am at the point where it's not much fun messing with this thing any more, I pretty much only get a blue light, and once in a while it may come on.

jambandphan03,
Got home and my Pax was waiting in my mailbox. Charged it up and put it to work. Wow this this thing is amazing. Granted I don't know shit about vapes and this is the first one i have owned, but I can see it getting a lot of use. I read a few pages back that someone wanted to try and bring it on a plane w/tobacco(cleaned of corse) please post and let us know how that goes. I would love to bring mine back home this fall. I got the cobalt one. It looks cool but I think i might take the outer shell off and paint it. I paint cars so I figure I can change the color whenever I get sick of it.

TheAngryGiraffe,

mik3y

PAX, WISPR, MFLB
My unit is not holding charge ):
When I placed it on the cradle it just remains orange light. Had it on charge all night went to try and use it in the morning.

White light, Red powers off

How can I test the unit if its not holding charge or short?

mik3y,

dudeeitsbrian

My unit is not holding charge ):
When I placed it on the cradle it just remains orange light. Had it on charge all night went to try and use it in the morning.

White light, Red powers off

How can I test the unit if its not holding charge or short?
look at your charger base, look at the contact points, you will notice one/both of them might be off center. both my chargers have been like this, and when i put my pax on the charger and gently twist the device left and right, the orange light flickers on and off.

i have managed to fix the issue by using a small pair of needle nose pliers and bending the contact point back towards the middle rather than off to the side, once you do this and you are able to put your pax on and twist it right and left without the orange light flickering, you know you've fixed the issue and it should charge properly.

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: missrocket

jambandphan03

in flavor country
just so you know I thought I read that painting it will void the waranty. Might want to check into that. I guess in some ways it's better mine was the dud, rather than a person new to vaping. I have the patience to wait this out, but many new vaporist may not feel so inclined, and I would hate for someone to be turned off of vaping because of a faulty unit. I'm already hooked, so this is just another minor set back.

**I want to add, I have managed to get it to turn on, a couple of times, and got through a couple of loads, it really vapes well, and I am impressed with how well it extracts. I have pretty even, dark ABV. I've been using the Cloud for about 3 weeks, so my tolerance is up, and the bowls I just managed to finally vape has got me twisted right now... :ko:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I read a few pages back that someone wanted to try and bring it on a plane w/tobacco(cleaned of corse) please post and let us know how that goes. I would love to bring mine back home this fall.

I'm not going on the plane till December. Just preemptively getting the Pax in time due to backorders, etc. ;-). Who knows when I'll get it :-)

newVaper420,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I would imagine, if you clean it thoroughly, and carry it empty, with some tobacco along side, it would not raise any flags. I traveled with ecigs that I converted to smoke hash in my lap top bag, and didn't even get questioned. E cigs have been around a while now, so this probably shouldn't be an issue esp. since you don't have liquids. Now trying to use it while in the plane, that's the risky part so it can be avoided.

jambandphan03,

JoeKickass

**I want to add, I have managed to get it to turn on, a couple of times, and got through a couple of loads, it really vapes well, and I am impressed with how well it extracts. I have pretty even, dark ABV. I've been using the Cloud for about 3 weeks, so my tolerance is up, and the bowls I just managed to finally vape has got me twisted right now... :ko:

Nice! Go party mode! Let's you get bowls off of a DOA Pax!

JoeKickass,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I found 3 rotations puts it in party mode, and it seems to work fine when I can get a purple light, other than the cool down mode kicking in to quickly. As long as it's moving around it's heating. I just have to click it on and off for about 5 mins before I can get a purple light. So it seems I am getting a partial Pax experience, so when the new one arrives, and hopefully works right, I will be so much happier!!

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I found 3 rotations puts it in party mode, and it seems to work fine when I can get a purple light, other than the cool down mode kicking in to quickly. As long as it's moving around it's heating. I just have to click it on and off for about 5 mins before I can get a purple light. So it seems I am getting a partial Pax experience, so when the new one arrives, and hopefully works right, I will be so much happier!!

Bummer about the strange dud, hope ploom handles everything no problems! I'd be quite disapointed you seem to be taking it alright! Keep vaping and hope the new ones get back in stock soon! Ploom on Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom