Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
I've tried 2-3 puffs, shutting it off, and resuming later on. When I resume, it picks up and starts puffing right away, but I get the feeling I lost a little life (I expect the oven to be 15-20% done after 2-3 puffs but it feels like after shutting it off, it cooks a little bit up to 30-40% done). Taste is immediately lost upon the second heating.

I've had the best results taking about 5-6 puffs, then shutting it off while pulling air through it with my mouth to force a quicker cooldown (less time spent in there baking). I like to stir between each session. When I resume, I can get a round of a good 5-6 more puffs, twice, before the bowl is completely spent.

Hope that helps! This is all on "medium" setting fwiw, you may have better luck on low.

thevapenazi,
Reactions: al bundy

kushcloud

never actually thought of a reason not to charge it while its hot, that's quite a good reason though i suppose :p

LOL! :) Anything to help the FC'ers baby! How much battery life is everyone getting?? For me, its about four 15 mintute sessions and im in the red, never really drained it fully soo it could definitely last longer.

kushcloud,

turk

turk
.....so far my temp change button is behaving correctly again...it may be more petulant than defective....needless to say I will continue to monitor...

HSIHP

I've tried 2-3 puffs, shutting it off, and resuming later on. When I resume, it picks up and starts puffing right away, but I get the feeling I lost a little life (I expect the oven to be 15-20% done after 2-3 puffs but it feels like after shutting it off, it cooks a little bit up to 30-40% done). Taste is immediately lost upon the second heating.

I've had the best results taking about 5-6 puffs, then shutting it off while pulling air through it with my mouth to force a quicker cooldown (less time spent in there baking). I like to stir between each session. When I resume, I can get a round of a good 5-6 more puffs, twice, before the bowl is completely spent.

Hope that helps! This is all on "medium" setting fwiw, you may have better luck on low.

Thank you and yes, that does help! Thats actually exactly what I was hoping for. I usually feel great after 5 or 6 solid hits so I'm pretty much sold at this point. Also, how easy is it to unload and reload quickly? There's a small music festival coming up and we usually camp next to a free outlet (perfect to recharge) but when it comes to concerts, I don't like to waste my time dilly dallying messing with packing bowls. I have always brought joints in the past but not that I am 100% vape (fuck combustion!) I would love to use the PAX. So do you think it would be a hassle? Or should it get pretty quick once I play with it for a while?

HSIHP,

turk

turk
...never have stirreed my materials with the pax....will give that a try....but my material comes out very dark...as dark as the cloud, or the ssv...the solo maybe just a tad lighter...but not much...

turk,

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
Also, how easy is it to unload and reload quickly? There's a small music festival coming up and we usually camp next to a free outlet (perfect to recharge) but when it comes to concerts, I don't like to waste my time dilly dallying messing with packing bowls.

Oh, I totally hear ya. I think the measure of a good vape, long-term, is in usage and ergonomics like that. I got tired of grinding and re-packing at least 10 tiny PD stems during each session, felt like I was micromanging the vape too much instead of enjoying the sesh.

With that said, if you're not collecting the ABV, it's relatively easy but you still need to stand still and get the herb funneled into the oven, then pack it down with the lid. I like to scrape the edges to get all the plant matter into the oven area, since some like to stick around on the outside rim. This is probably the biggest hassle of loading the pax, but you know what makes it a lot easier? Get your herb ground down very finely, and carry it in an empty tictac container. Pop lid, tap with your fingers directly into the oven, pack, and you're good to go. The ground herb "pours" much easier if it's a little bit dried first. :) With this method, as long as I'm ok with just dumping my ABV and not collecting it somewhere else, I can dump and reload in <1 minute, even if I'm walking around (just as long as it's not a windy day, haha).

thevapenazi,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I dont traditionally sitr the material with the Pax as its hard to stir without bud getting all over the place. I empty it out in my hand and finger grind everything and re pack. This method seems to extract better than regular stirring.

tranceporter,
Reactions: turk

turk

turk
I dont traditionally sitr the material with the Pax as its hard to stir without bud getting all over the place. I empty it out in my hand and finger grind everything and re pack. This method seems to extract better than regular stirring.
....good point....this is the reason I never stirred....didn't seem practical...will try this method though...

turk,

HSIHP

Oh, I totally hear ya. I think the measure of a good vape, long-term, is in usage and ergonomics like that. I got tired of grinding and re-packing at least 10 tiny PD stems during each session, felt like I was micromanging the vape too much instead of enjoying the sesh.

With that said, if you're not collecting the ABV, it's relatively easy but you still need to stand still and get the herb funneled into the oven, then pack it down with the lid. I like to scrape the edges to get all the plant matter into the oven area, since some like to stick around on the outside rim. This is probably the biggest hassle of loading the pax, but you know what makes it a lot easier? Get your herb ground down very finely, and carry it in an empty tictac container. Pop lid, tap with your fingers directly into the oven, pack, and you're good to go. The ground herb "pours" much easier if it's a little bit dried first. :) With this method, as long as I'm ok with just dumping my ABV and not collecting it somewhere else, I can dump and reload in <1 minute, even if I'm walking around (just as long as it's not a windy day, haha).

Thanks vapenazi! This is perfect as I already have the tictac container for my MFLB! I figured it would be a perfect fit so that makes me feel so much better. I do collect my AVB at home (and have been for about 2 1/2 years now, and have still yet to do anything with my huge bag of brown stuff) but on the go, and especially at a fest, I would most likely bring my MFLB brush and just dump it on the ground. I fell like I would also try to find the perfect tool for packing (maybe a pen cap?) and just keep that with the unit where ever I go.

Again, Thankyou! I'm really excited about this unit, but being as frugal as just about anyone on earth, I may wait for 2 or 3 months to see if the price goes down a tad. :)

HSIHP,

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
@HSIHP: You're welcome! Can't wait to see you get your pax, make sure you come back and update us on how you'er enjoying it!

Ironically, the POS atmosRAW was good for *one* thing, and there's one invaluable thing I got out of my atmosRAW purchase I use to this day. It is the *perfect* packing and cleaning tool for the pax. I use the bottom flat end to pack, then the shoveled end to scrape the rest of the plant matter off the edges/rim and into the oven, then repack, etc:

PACKING_TOOL_4f6b42fc9225f.png

I have no idea where my atmosRAW is, I lost it about 4 months ago somewhere in the house and I kind of don't care. But this tool? I use it EVERY day. :D

Adobewan

Great reveiw JCat!
Was disappointed with my Pax till G at THC SCI packed it tight. Made all the difference and my Pax now sits neck and neck with my beloved Solo.

Some points:
Pros:
-Pack tightly against your instincts. Think "March of the Penguins", the load shares the heat quite evenly. I'd give a load weight but that depends on the strain, dryness and grind of the meds. I've been using a courser ground than normal to good results but will try a finer grind today.
-If packed tightly stirring is not necessary(although I'm sure a stir would provide a couple more hits), here's the ABV from a packed chamber after 12-15 draws on medium with no stir(dark parts are shadows, not burnt):
paxabvlev.jpg

-Draw is smooth. As many have said here, it's much like a joint or a cigar.
-Absolutely the MOST portable flower vape!!

Cons:
-My light continues to display the temp color(yellow, orange or red) as opposed to heat up(purple pulse)and ready(green) as a fellow member reported. I have found though, that if you apply a small amount of pressure to one end of the mouthpiece, as if you're screwing it on or off, that activates the heating cycle of lights and sure enough it heats up(although I'm thinking this is defective, waiting for a response from Ploom)
-Agree completely with TheVapeNazi on "Generally, the solo clouds tend to be smaller than my pax clouds, but they tend to be purer in taste, and retain the taste longer (the pax seems to taste burnt after the 3rd or 4th pull)." but I would say the burnt tastes starts at 6 or 7 for me.
-It gets a bit hot in your hand(not as hot as the TV), nothing too uncomfortable.

My signature below is not just my history of vapes but a ranking of my usage and popularity. As you can see the Pax now sits right next to the Solo, and the testing isn't over yet.

bwright1128

Hey everyone, I have been reading these forums for some time now and finally decided it was my time to pitch in! I will start by saying the only other portable vape i have owned was the mflb and was not very impressed with its performance. I have been reading a lot about the pax for the past week or so and decided I would order one around my birthday in september because i am currently waiting for my new extreme q to arrive, which will be my first desktop to own! Well anyways I was browsing a LHS the last night and to my surprise I saw the onyx pax sitting on the shelf and I knew I had to have it! I ended up getting it for 242 with tax which i thought was a good enough deal and I got to support my favorite local shop! Anyways I have been loving my first full day with the pax but I have noticed I have gotten no where near the 4 hour battery life (this is after charging fully last night) its dead already and on the charger getting ready for round 2 this afternoon ;)
In short: Can I get your fellow pax owners opinion on the actual battery life you seem to be getting?
Thanks!

bwright1128,

HSIHP

@HSIHP: You're welcome! Can't wait to see you get your pax, make sure you come back and update us on how you'er enjoying it!

Ironically, the POS atmosRAW was good for *one* thing, and there's one invaluable thing I got out of my atmosRAW purchase I use to this day. It is the *perfect* packing and cleaning tool for the pax. I use the bottom flat end to pack, then the shoveled end to scrape the rest of the plant matter off the edges/rim and into the oven, then repack, etc:

PACKING_TOOL_4f6b42fc9225f.png

I have no idea where my atmosRAW is, I lost it about 4 months ago somewhere in the house and I kind of don't care. But this tool? I use it EVERY day. :D

That looks like a great tool! I found it on the atmos website for about $10. Is it worth it? I could probably find something around my house to do the job but if this thing is as great as you say, I may just order it at the same time as my PAX. I like thats it looks nice and durable and pretty small, should be easy so carry around and it wont break like a toothpick!

HSIHP,

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
I personally would pay the $10 for the tool myself - I find the round flat end invaluable for packing all the flowers down real dense even in the corners and edges of the bowl (I can get it packed down much tighter using this tool rather than the oven lid), then I use that flat end to scrape all the spare plant matter in and then flip it right back around to pack that in some more. And yeah, it's about an inch and a half long, maybe a tad longer, and it's very durable (metal, not plastic), so it travels quite well with the pax, imo!

HSIHP

So I'm about to pull the trigger but I would like to get a coupon code for VapeWorld. Anyone?

HSIHP,

JoeKickass

In short: Can I get your fellow pax owners opinion on the actual battery life you seem to be getting?
Thanks!
Ploom say 2 hours of constant use and 1 hour to charge, and I think that's pretty accurate. The cell inside is a C18650CC: datasheet a chinese 2600mah. If you're handy & can solder you could bump that up to a little under 3 hours of constant use by using a NCR18650B, a japanese 3400mah cell:

Panasonic%20NCR18650B%203400mAh%20%28Green%29-CapacityTimeHours.png

I think we're pretty close to the dark blue line, the Pax draws less than 1.3A
That looks like a great tool! I found it on the atmos website for about $10. Is it worth it? I could probably find something around my house to do the job but if this thing is as great as you say, I may just order it at the same time as my PAX. I like thats it looks nice and durable and pretty small, should be easy so carry around and it wont break like a toothpick!

Nice find! Let me know if it works quicker than using a paperclip or toothpick...

Cons:
-My light continues to display the temp color(yellow, orange or red) as opposed to heat up(purple pulse)and ready(green) as a fellow member reported. I have found though, that if you apply a small amount of pressure to one end of the mouthpiece, as if you're screwing it on or off, that activates the heating cycle of lights and sure enough it heats up(although I'm thinking this is defective, waiting for a response from Ploom)

Definitely sounds like a loose connection, the mouthpiece makes an electrical connection between the stem in the Pax and the spring surrounding it that supports the mouthpiece. You should be able to switch between temp and heating just by resting the mouthpiece on the spring, or by using a paperclip to touch both the stem and the spring.

JoeKickass,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom