Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent

HEY, HEY, HEYHEEEY, VAPE WEED EVERY DAY
I've always noticed that the bottom right of my oven will always vape more thoroughly than the top left too. That thermal view really confirms my theory too.

I have a question too, last night my temperature change button stopped working and my PAX is now stuck on orange. Anyone have anyway of getting the button unstuck or just get it working?

I'm from the UK so I don't really want to have to sent this back to PAX. I always vapes on orange anyway so its not too much of a problem, just a little frustrating!

Silent,

OregonStoner

I have a question too, last night my temperature change button stopped working and my PAX is now stuck on orange. Anyone have anyway of getting the button unstuck or just get it working?

I'm from the UK so I don't really want to have to sent this back to PAX. I always vapes on orange anyway so its not too much of a problem, just a little frustrating!

My temp button gets a little "finicky" at times. I have found that I have to push it in a little harder at times than others. I find that I have to use my fingernail and push evenly, squarely, with moderate force to get the button to change the temperature.

If the issue is a stuck (wont move easily or at all) button due to some ISO getting into it. Try and use a very thin bladed screwdriver and GENTLY insert it around the button and apply Light pressure back in forth to hopefully free the button up. I have not ever had this happen but this issue has been mentioned several times in this forum and appears to have worked for others.

OregonStoner,

euph0ric1

Floating on.
I'd like to discuss the "screen trick" / placing a screen in the oven to act as a spacer in order to use less bud.

My main reason for doing it, is that when I take long sessions, the most I can get is two full sessions with a stir between, otherwise it gets so dark and the taste isnt worth it. I find I can get the same two sessions with a spacer screen, and use half the herb in the process.

My worry is that having that spacer screen in there affects the Pax performance in some way. As in, I wonder if it gets much hotter in the oven and the bud cooks faster and perhaps more inefficiently.. Also.. I worry about the degredation of the screen and inhaling any harmful substances from that screen. Im currently using a standard 3/4 brass screen, and I burn the coating off of it beforehand.

If the screen harms the Pax, or takes away from the experience in a significant way, then I will just bite the bullet and feed it a stuffed-full oven every time. I have plenty of herb... But I'm also a fan of conservation. Would you say most people use the screen trick? Or a full oven?

euph0ric1,

Vape Dr.

I'd like to discuss the "screen trick" / placing a screen in the oven to act as a spacer in order to use less bud.

My main reason for doing it, is that when I take long sessions, the most I can get is two full sessions with a stir between, otherwise it gets so dark and the taste isnt worth it. I find I can get the same two sessions with a spacer screen, and use half the herb in the process.

My worry is that having that spacer screen in there affects the Pax performance in some way. As in, I wonder if it gets much hotter in the oven and the bud cooks faster and perhaps more inefficiently.. Also.. I worry about the degredation of the screen and inhaling any harmful substances from that screen. Im currently using a standard 3/4 brass screen, and I burn the coating off of it beforehand.

If the screen harms the Pax, or takes away from the experience in a significant way, then I will just bite the bullet and feed it a stuffed-full oven every time. I have plenty of herb... But I'm also a fan of conservation. Would you say most people use the screen trick? Or a full oven?

check out my screen method with a half packed oven on grasscity. i tried to put the pics up on FC but couldn't. it works amazingly, allows more air flow and less draw resistance.

Vape Dr.,

Teedub

There are stainless steel screens and even titanium screens to also try. I tried a cheaper steel wool but felt it was impure. It burns when you hit it with a torch.

People seem to like the volcano ss pads and the herbalizer ss pads, I presume they are both good quality material and pure for vaping off. I am going to buy some sooner or later but im always buying things and these keep getting bumped. ;) Can just cut out a nice pad to fit the pax trench.

I also use a simple round screen rolled/folded then placed on top of the load as seen in this thread and that has worked well, but I want super mini loads as well.

Ive tried the ceramic disks and just seen these recently http://www.ozbongs.com.au/AROMED-Foam-Pellets/ as well but I think metal works better because of the way it heats up.

I too am always playing with making the oven's load smaller and still performing, ie milking the shit out of wt's haha.

I also like the idea of machining a piece of solid metal to fill up half the space, could get a few different thickness for different sized loads.

EDIT: OOh just noticed Pax being sold in Australia from a legit vendor, 10 year warranty.
http://www.australianvaporizers.com.au/store/vaporizers/vaporizers-by-brand/pax-vaporizer.html

I wonder If that means I would get away with having my oldie import covered by warranty now? I hope so but she still working fine so Im happy!

Double edit: Just bought the volcano pads to play with!

Last edited:
Teedub,
Reactions: Vape Dr.

Curiousone

I personally feel safer using SS 3/4" screens folded in half as spacers. I don't like the idea of using brass.

I use the spacer the majority of the time even with 90% full loads. I notice better performance in terms of thicker clouds produced over a longer period of time versus not using a spacer.

Curiousone

^^I use similar pads in the Plenty and I do believe it would work well in the Pax once cut to fit.

I thought about using the liquid pads in my Pax, but the round 3/4" ss screens are MUCH cheaper and I like to change screens often. I use my liquid pad for about a month before needing to replace in the Plenty. Not sure how long it would last in the Pax. But you would have at least two if cut in half...so guess it's a matter of economics and preference

Curiousone,

Vape Dr.

I do agree with Curiousone,
I use stainless steel screens as well. the screens shown on my post were brass because those were my first runs at 3am. I used them merely because they were convenient at the time. 3/4" SS screens work much better and last longer.
I am intrigued with the volcano pads, I'll have to get some extras and try that route out! thanks for the idea!
It definitely helps you get better hits and i think it makes the draws less resistant.

Try taking the plastic mouth piece off and attaching a small piece of silicone on the metal stem, then put your MFLB stem on the end as mouth piece. Straight shot, works very well!

Last edited:
Vape Dr.,

Stoneaged

WASHED PAX IN WASHING MACHINE!!! First (and probably last) post: I bought a pax about 3 months ago and have had no problems at all. Works great and my asthma is reduced. This morning I washed my pax in the washing machine. Took it out and it was dead completely. I used a T4 torx bit to remove the screw, pushed out the guts toward the oven and found a few drops of water inside. I let it dry for 8 hours, put it all back together, and after an hour on the charger IT WORKS! A great product and well worth the money!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
WASHED PAX IN WASHING MACHINE!!! First (and probably last) post: I bought a pax about 3 months ago and have had no problems at all. Works great and my asthma is reduced. This morning I washed my pax in the washing machine. Took it out and it was dead completely. I used a T4 torx bit to remove the screw, pushed out the guts toward the oven and found a few drops of water inside. I let it dry for 8 hours, put it all back together, and after an hour on the charger IT WORKS! A great product and well worth the money!

Electronics recover well from getting wet provided that you don't turn on the power while they're still wet, and that you dry them quickly and completely. A friend of mine spilled Coke all over her keyboard and cleaned it up by running it through the dishwasher. It worked just fine.

Ticovape

I most be the unluckiest person in the world.... I have bought 4 pax so far directly from ploom... 2 for friends and one for me.... one of my friends his mouth piece is stuck and cant get it out.... mine started flashing red and stopped working, I sent that one back ,since I am over seas I dint want to wait and bought another one for my self.. and that work now flashes purple when its warming up and shuts off... I spoke with ploom and now I have to send this one back too. I can understand one but 2 that go bad ..That is very disturbing ...they are not cheap.. and I know i will get them replaced they already replaced the first one but COME ON....

Ticovape,

shawn0223

Hey guys, been on the pax for several months now and I believe I've noticed something weird. When I first bought my pax, I used it several times a day just because I was so excited to have it. After a couple days, I started to feel heat in my chest. I stopped using it and went back to the arizer eq for a bit and it got better. I went on vacation this weekend and used it almost everyday for the past 5 days and the whole chest being hot issue came back. Has anyone else noticed something like that? I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading that the vapor from the PAX could be too hot and irritating my chest when I inhale. I have been doing like 10-15 draws on it, like filling up my lungs out each hit. Gets to where I can feel heat in my chest wherever I burp lol. I just read in the past couple pages that ppl are doing smaller 'sips' am I using it wrong or is my chest just a Bitch for some reason? Lol

shawn0223,

fluencyy

So I fucked up and got some iso down in the temp button's slot, and it became stuck and eventually got pushed down into the slot the button resides in (I just pressed until the temp changed), needing a narrow flathead screwdriver to reach down and press the button. Tonight, while doing this for at least the millionth time (I vape a few times daily and I've owned my Pax since about May of last year, the button broke around November), I touched something with the flathead that caused the unit to begin flashing purple, something I've never seen it do, and shut off. It does not respond to the charger nor the mouthpiece being depressed and opened. I'm lost without this thing, has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas whether my warranty will be voided or not?

fluencyy,

Vape Dr.

So I fucked up and got some iso down in the temp button's slot, and it became stuck and eventually got pushed down into the slot the button resides in (I just pressed until the temp changed), needing a narrow flathead screwdriver to reach down and press the button. Tonight, while doing this for at least the millionth time (I vape a few times daily and I've owned my Pax since about May of last year, the button broke around November), I touched something with the flathead that caused the unit to begin flashing purple, something I've never seen it do, and shut off. It does not respond to the charger nor the mouthpiece being depressed and opened. I'm lost without this thing, has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas whether my warranty will be voided or not?
That just happened to one of my pax's. It would flash purple charging, then flash blue 5 times and shut off. I talked to Jeremy at Ploom and he replaced the unit very quickly with the latest version. My temp button was fine, it would just go purple, blue, off. It should be covered with no problem, i didn't even have my receipt (lost it, just told him where I got it). He will email you a prepaid postage label to send it in. they usually send a brand new unit out the next day after recieving it because its an electrical issue.

Vape Dr.,

fluencyy

That just happened to one of my pax's. It would flash purple charging, then flash blue 5 times and shut off. I talked to Jeremy at Ploom and he replaced the unit very quickly with the latest version. My temp button was fine, it would just go purple, blue, off. It should be covered with no problem, i didn't even have my receipt (lost it, just told him where I got it). He will email you a prepaid postage label to send it in. they usually send a brand new unit out the next day after recieving it because its an electrical issue.
I hope that's what mine is. Thanks for the response man, I appreciate it.

fluencyy,

blasto2236

Recently converted to the ways of vapelife
Update after a full month of Pax ownership. I'm on page 200 of this thread, and am still learning new things every day! This community is the best.

It would seem that all products with a heating element have a bit of a "break in" period before they hit their true potential. When I first got the Pax, I would start on low temp and quickly work my way to mid-high as I stopped getting good vapor production after a few draws on low. Now I get huge clouds on low for probably 3/4 of my session, and only crank up to mid/high for those last few hits. Even then, my ABV is fairly light and able to be run back through at a later time. Additionally, I have found that the battery is lasting longer after a month than it ever has. Leaving it on overnight seems to be good for it, and I have definitely broken the battery in.

I also haven't had any temp light issues or anything of the sort. I've not had a need to remove the spring or really clean that area, but am glad to know the proper method should I ever need to.

I wanted to take a moment to thank all the major contributors from the first 200 pages of this thread. You have been instrumental in helping me maintain a clean, happy Pax. I started using the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on the oven area and screen per one poster's recommendation, and could not be more happy with the results! Definitely didn't think I'd be learning new things halfway in to this thread. And to clear up the questions about harmful chemicals: there are no active solvents in the Magic Eraser! It's all about the fibers and how they react to water and air. It's basically sanding away the bad stuff.

I am absolutely in love with this product. Also really happy with the shirt and stickers that Ploom sent me just for leaving a few kind words on their website. I can't wait to read the other 200+ pages and learn even more tricks of the Pax trade!

Vape Dr.

Absolutely, everyone on FC is fantastic. Thanks for the kind words!
As for me, one of the Best things to keep your pax clean and avoid a sticky mouthpiece is to charge it right side up. Put it in a shallow drawer (so it doesn't fall over) mouthpiece up, and put the charger on top. The half packed oven with a 3/4" SS bent in a brick shape works unbelievably well too.
Welcome to FC..

euph0ric1

Floating on.
Hey guys, been on the pax for several months now and I believe I've noticed something weird. When I first bought my pax, I used it several times a day just because I was so excited to have it. After a couple days, I started to feel heat in my chest.

Did you go straight from smoking/combusting to vaping? If so, I can relate to your situation. I noticed the same heat, and even when I raised my arms, or worked out, it was there. I asked my doctor about it in a recent physical, and he told me it's most likely my lungs trying to repair themselves since I stopped smoking. (Weed, never smoked tobacco.) He's treated several former smokers, and when you stop combusting, your lung tissue is able to rebuild and even increase breathing capacity, but it takes time.

So yea, I hope that's what it is :)

euph0ric1,
Reactions: sherb

shawn0223

Unfortunately that's not my situation entirely, I've been haven't combusted in almost 6 months and the one time I did in December was because I didn't have my arizer eq on me and a buddy lit a blunt. Only took one hit and said Fuck that lol. I've been vaping with the EQ for over a year with no issues. I was thinking maybe because the pax goes directly from the oven to your lungs and doesn't give the vapor a chance to cool down that it might be why I'm having this issue. It's not unbearable, but Annoying nonetheless lol. Maybe I just need to ease into using the pax so often. Maybe my lungs/chest isn't used to taking in that hot vapor that many times in large volumes lol

Absolutely, everyone on FC is fantastic. Thanks for the kind words!
As for me, one of the Best things to keep your pax clean and avoid a sticky mouthpiece is to charge it right side up. Put it in a shallow drawer (so it doesn't fall over) mouthpiece up, and put the charger on top. The half packed oven with a 3/4" SS bent in a brick shape works unbelievably well too.
Welcome to FC..
Do you mean to put the charging stand upside down on the pax instead of setting the pax on the stand? Not trying to be rude, but if that's what you're referring to, can you explain how it stranding upright while charging helps or what it does? I've been charging mine regularly since I got it and if that makes a difference of some sort, I'd love to try it

Last edited by a moderator:
shawn0223,

Vape Dr.

Do you mean to put the charging stand upside down on the pax instead of setting the pax on the stand? Not trying to be rude, but if that's what you're referring to, can you explain how it stranding upright while charging helps or what it does? I've been charging mine regularly since I got it and if that makes a difference of some sort, I'd love to try it
Yes. Most of the time when the pax is put on the charger is after a session when the oven is still hot.
If you charge your pax mouthpiece up, the residue doesn't go down the tube into the mouthpiece. Think gravity.
I clean my pax every 2-3 weeks and use it at least a few times daily.
give it a try. You'll notice your pax stays much cleaner.

Also the mouthpiece lubricant (which i only use maybe every month and a half to two) is food grade propylene glycol "PG" (Ploom verified this for me) which they sell at e-cig vape shops is $8 for an 8oz bottle. get a needle tip bottle ($2) for filling e-cig cartridges and it makes applying it much easier.
Don't forget to clean around the tube when you take out the mouthpiece, I use a bristled pipe cleaner bent in half moistened in ISO so i can push the spring down and clean the side of the tube.

Give it a shot. Worse case scenario, you dont have to clean your pax as often.

Vape Dr.,
Reactions: Shrike

linux3214

Do you guys think it might be time for Ploom to consider an upgrade to the Pax? All these Fireflys, Indicas, and soon Grasshoppers, makes me think maybe Ploom can do better with current technology. Immediately thinking of: better battery life (even more so than its astounding number now), shorter heating times, modified oven to eliminate stirring, somehow fixing the horrid design flaw of gunking mouthpieces, less vapor leakage (smell), hermetically sealing the electronics (so drawing without mouthpiece while cooling down won't mean breathing in fiberglass), and most importantly reamped easter eggs (e.g. seizure causing party mode).

I miss the minimalistic beauty of the Pax so much. Hope they would keep or refine it, charging stand becomes usb compliant?

You can always dream.

Edit: A travel case to keep the lint away and the smells contained. Laser etching customizations. An official water pipe adaptor. Unstickable temp button. Plastic bevel around the edges of the aluminium. The list goes on for my perfect vaporizer.

Last edited:

shawn0223

Yes. Most of the time when the pax is put on the charger is after a session when the oven is still hot.
If you charge your pax mouthpiece up, the residue doesn't go down the tube into the mouthpiece. Think gravity.
I clean my pax every 2-3 weeks and use it at least a few times daily.
give it a try. You'll notice your pax stays much cleaner.

Also the mouthpiece lubricant (which i only use maybe every month and a half to two) is food grade propylene glycol "PG" (Ploom verified this for me) which they sell at e-cig vape shops is $8 for an 8oz bottle. get a needle tip bottle ($2) for filling e-cig cartridges and it makes applying it much easier.
Don't forget to clean around the tube when you take out the mouthpiece, I use a bristled pipe cleaner bent in half moistened in ISO so i can push the spring down and clean the side of the tube.

Give it a shot. Worse case scenario, you dont have to clean your pax as often.
That makes sense. I guess I never ran into that issue because I never charge right after a session. Mainly cuz I use it during my breaks at work and then either pocket it or leave it in my car. Charge it overnight. I will be sure that I place it with the mouthpiece up whenever I'm done going forward. I clean my pax 2-3 times a week which could be excessive but I noticed it tastes better when clean so I try to keep it clean more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom