Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
There are a few issues found throughout this thread that are not user fixable. The flashing blue light followed by turning off, the flashing orange while charging and not accepting a charge, flashing red and turning off during middle of use with a fully charged battery, and the battery simply not accepting a charge are all issues that we've been made aware of. These issues can only be handled by Ploom's customer service and warranty.

As far as a desire to have threads be a bit more organized. It'd be nice, but don't hold your breath.

Deadshort480,

llamaman001

I cant recommend enough getting a few volcano oil screens and cutting them down for the pax. Ive found this to be the BEST method for conserving and it seems to even out the cooking on it as well. Love my pax's

Volteric

Wow I am glad I found this thread. My ego carrying case was getting small and I wanted a new one. Definitely going to get a RYOT one. Thank you!

Behold! The RYOT with Pax. Snug fit. Smell proof carrying case solved!

tmqB8uV.jpg

08VPAgQ.jpg

Volteric,
Reactions: GraffiX

Volteric

Would it make sense to hit the pax while it's warming up in order to savor all of the flavor?

I'm not noticing any vapor escaping while it's warming up so I'm assuming when it's ready you're getting all the existent vapor possible. But I may be wrong.

Volteric,

DanAndroid

Of no particular interest
I am a little worried that I am gonna kill the battery with this heavy use

As long as you don't over drain the batteries, work 'em, they can take it.

LiPo's are the backbone of a good percentage of the R/C airplane/helicopter/car modeling as is done with electric motors more so than fueled engines. LiPo's that may be "drained" and recharged numerous times a day.

The R/C hobby world is hell on batteries.

The electric R/C hobby world runs on LiPo's.

But, that doesn't mean one can abuse LiPo's and not end up suffering performance or longevity issues.

The good part though is that to treat them well, one has to pretty much only remember two rules :
1). Never drain a LiPo to more than 80% of its MaH capacity.
2). Do not store a LiPo at full or low charge. Long term storage is best done with a remaining capacity of 85%, or so. If stored at too low of a voltage and during storage it sags too low, the cell is toast.

Would it make sense to hit the pax while it's warming up in order to savor all of the flavor?

I do. When I just start to smell roasting going on I'll take long slow drag and although it seems there to be little vapor, the taste is amazing and some vapor may be exhaled, depending on what temp it is up to at that point.

You won't be able to know that you got much of anything from the vapor but you will notice the taste and were you to stop there, you would also notice that it was not without affect.

The best, as it seems to be the case more so with conduction vs convection is that virgin sip. If one waits too long, it's not as true to the smell of what is being vaped.

DanAndroid,

berman1125

Thanks for the reply. What about overnight charging and leaving it green for over 6 hours.

I have been drawing as I notice the smell during heat up as well because I feel like vaporization happens before 370 on low. Also, Im not sold that the pax is getting to exactly 370. I know that terpenes are boiling off during warm up and I feel like they evaporate if you don't inhale right away. Meh, who knows haha

berman1125,

DanAndroid

... What about overnight charging and leaving it green for over 6 hours.

That should be no problem.

Although some may argue for shorter periods, I've not had a problem keeping LiPo's in the R/C world fully charged for up to a week or longer although if I know I won't be using something for that long, I will just plan on using it enough so that the battery is at least not on a full charge.

This coming from someone who some would consider "anal" about batteries and who indelibly numbers each battery and records flight times and subsequent charge MaH so take it for what it's worth, or not.

I have been drawing as I notice the smell during heat up as well because I feel like vaporization happens before 370 on low. Also, Im not sold that the pax is getting to exactly 370. I know that terpenes are boiling off during warm up and I feel like they evaporate if you don't inhale right away. Meh, who knows haha

A very wispy vaporization seems to begin lower than 370 or whatever the temperature actually is when it reaches the lowest set level.

As for what the actual temperatures are, I haven't personally seen any actual testing being done or reported but I could be wrong. It would be interesting to know what people are experiencing as far as oven temperatures at the three levels are concerned.

DanAndroid,

Volteric

That should be no problem.

Although some may argue for shorter periods, I've not had a problem keeping LiPo's in the R/C world fully charged for up to a week or longer although if I know I won't be using something for that long, I will just plan on using it enough so that the battery is at least not on a full charge.

This coming from someone who some would consider "anal" about batteries and who indelibly numbers each battery and records flight times and subsequent charge MaH so take it for what it's worth, or not.

A very wispy vaporization seems to begin lower than 370 or whatever the temperature actually is when it reaches the lowest set level.

As for what the actual temperatures are, I haven't personally seen any actual testing being done or reported but I could be wrong. It would be interesting to know what people are experiencing as far as oven temperatures at the three levels are concerned.

Tonight was the first time I tried medium (I've only used high). I noticed the light turned green much faster than on high. That might seem an obvious expectation but I'm
wondering if this will actually preserve herb long term. I got just as much flavor and vape as on high setting. Maybe the lower heat might give you more terpenes and cannabinoids than on high??

Last edited:

berman1125

I always go from low-->med--->high for flavor purposes on a full oven. I can make a full oven last 25 hits where if I did the whole thing on high it would probably be around 10.

As far as preserving herb I would say yes, using med vs high will make your oven last longer while providing the same outcome

DanAndroid

I noticed the light turned green much faster than on high. That might seem an obvious expectation but I'm wondering if this will actually preserve herb long term. I got just as much flavor and vape as on high setting. Maybe the slower lower heat might give you more terpenes and cannabinoids than on high??

That would seem to make sense.

I agree with berman as well as what you are wondering, the lower temperature one can operate at and still achieve the affect one is looking for, the more efficient one will find one's usage.

DanAndroid,
Reactions: Volteric

berman1125

As far as storing the pax in a cold area for a few hours. Will that drain battery? I'm not even finished with my first oven of the day. About 10 min of use. Yellow battery life... It's been in the car most of the day with a high of 25 degrees

berman1125,

2 Paces

Yes. I'm not sure for how long and at what temps though. Temps that cold will kill it quick.

I left mine in my car overnight with a fully charged battery when it got down to mid fifties temp at night last summer. The next day when I went to use it, the first session put it into flashing red on the battery.

2 Paces,

DanAndroid

As far as storing the pax in a cold area for a few hours. Will that drain battery? I'm not even finished with my first oven of the day. About 10 min of use. Yellow battery life... It's been in the car most of the day with a high of 25 degrees

For long term storage, cold temperatures are helpful but not at a full charge.

That's not what you're seeing though I think.

With a chemical battery which relies on a chemical reaction to function, put out energy, is reduced in operating temperature, the colder it is the less chemical reactions will take place and its capacity will be reduced.

It is possible that warming the battery up to more normal operating temperatures before trying to use it will help revive it though.

But, if the battery's capacity has been reduced due to extreme cold, trying to operate it could discharge it below its safe discharge capacity and brick the battery.

I've not had that happen although I've never left LiPo's exposed to wide variations in temperature either.

Cold storage is good to reduce chemical reactions and extend the life of a battery that is not in use but cold storage and expecting the battery to stand up very well to actual use, not so much.,

SometimesFunny

sbr146za07g6.jpg

I wanted to say a quick thanks to this thread(esp. the glass jacks reccomendation dude, and the tape on the charger guy). I did drop in before I bought the pax, thank you all posters.

Just bought some glass jacks today, 3 for $5 at my local head shop(Amsterdam cafe), and they gave me a free screen cuz I asked about 1.

First vape experience with them in: perfect!

Put it on the low setting the whole time, the best vape experience thus far(strain: chocolope, cannot go wrong. also pictured are my other pax favs nycdiesl, bluechz, and aj)

Using so much less (i keep accidentally typing on the wrong keyboard), and getting a lot of vapes on low now, getting obliterated.

Before I put it on medium & i'd get 3 huge rips(60-90secs) before being dissatisfied with the flavor change (which kind of felt rushed).

Now I can use it on the low setting, perfectly.

I couldn't find those mentos gums lids in vancouver tho. I guess I'll have to buy it from amazon, and ship it from the u.s.

The pax is amazing(i literally just endorsed someone for 30 things on linkedin).

Last edited:

Wizsteve

try adding oil to your herb makes the bowl last for ever

yea i love a good thai ,I wouldn't bother with the mentos lids ones i had didn't seem to fit just use a case instead.(protects it better)

Volteric

try adding oil to your herb makes the bowl last for ever

yea i love a good thai ,I wouldn't bother with the mentos lids ones i had didn't seem to fit just use a case instead.(protects it better)

The mento lids I got to fit but it just didn't cut the smell down like the RYOT carrying case. The case has some kind of charcoal lined padded inserts and to your point it is equally some of the best protection I've seen. I sent Pax images of the RYOT. They need to come out with a few killer accessories and case like that is a great start!

SometimesFunny

The mento lids I got to fit but it just didn't cut the smell down like the RYOT carrying case.

Wow, that brand case (RYOT) is an awesome recommendation,

I've always been looking for specifically "smell-proof" cases, so a big thanks!!

I tracked down a RYOT small hard-case (5x2 w carabiner) for $12 this morning, at my local headshop (Puff), and it fits like a glove!

I would've preferred a black case but dark grey, and olive was all they had (dark gray is a really nice color too).

This thread is just full of gems:clap:

pp84afu8u184.jpg

I might as well ask..

Where does someone buy a cheap equivalent of the "Mouthpiece Lubricant" (preferably in Canada)?

Thanks everybody!

x1qos9s1wzg9.jpg

Last edited:
SometimesFunny,
Reactions: Volteric
I just got the pax and it came without screens. Which I unfortunately didn't realize until after use.. I cleaned it out fine afterwards. Any chance I ruined it? Or does that just make for a crappy cleanup if I only did it once?

Also, can you use offbrand screens because mine didn't come with any that I see.

rustyshackleford999,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I just got the pax and it came without screens. Which I unfortunately didn't realize until after use.. I cleaned it out fine afterwards. Any chance I ruined it? Or does that just make for a crappy cleanup if I only did it once?

Also, can you use offbrand screens because mine didn't come with any that I see.

No it isn't ruined. Are you sure it doesn't have a screen? The Pax doesn't have a real screen, it has a thin metal plate that has dimples in it. When you cleaned it, did you push a pipe cleaner all the way through from the mouthpiece side?

No it isn't ruined. Are you sure it doesn't have a screen? The Pax doesn't have a real screen, it has a thin metal plate that has dimples in it. When you cleaned it, did you push a pipe cleaner all the way through from the mouthpiece side?
I found it in my first batch of burned material I must have not noticed. I appreciate the feedback, it just made it messy without

rustyshackleford999,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom