Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearlyAsleep

I have a Pax that I'm keeping as a backup. It has never been used with any material whatsoever. When I got it I ran it empty (on high) for a few minutes, then charged it after it cooled down. I plan on running it on high for 10-15 minutes about once per week, then charging it back up again just to keep the battery "conditioned".

Today I took it out to do this. I've kept it outside in my garage. Temperature last night dipped into the low 40s. When I turned it on it went to purple, then briefly showed the red temp light before returning to purple and heating up normally.

This sounds like the "temp light issue" to me, occurring on a completely clean, never-been-used Pax.

So I would say that there are causes of the "temp light issue" other than a dirty Pax. Seems to me that cold temperatures may also cause the "temp light issue".
That sounds like my exact problem, I got my pax a week ago, have barely used it, and cleaned it several time OCD style. It will flash the temp for a second, then back to green, SO I THOUGHT, but then i noticed sometimes it will flash yellow(when its set to orange), its always only for a second. I left a message here a few days ago and Mr.Krinkle said its the temp light issue, and it's probably dirty. Also, I'm confused aha, which finish is the newer model? I think I'm seeing conflicting statements.

BearlyAsleep,

Beaunaire

The one from Ploom lasted about 2 months until it stopped heating. It would pulse purple and never turn green. Then it would flash orange and turn off. Never to work again.

That's exactly what happened with my first one without any warning or unusual indicators. I thought it needed to be cleaned and/or recharged but it made no difference. After a few rounds of cleaning and charging I gave up and contacted Vapeworld. The temp light issue I can get around with a little MP fiddling but being without a vape for a week was a real drag. It made me realize how really bad combustion is. At some point, I'll get another vape but I can't afford it now, so I'm not even going to look at what's available. I just hope this one continues to work without trouble.

Beaunaire,
I thought there was a trick to fixing the temp light issue? I swear I just read it a few days ago on this forum?

StraightChill,

Spezialemic

Does anyone think the temp light issue can caused by resin or alcohol inside of the protrusion that slides in and out above the spring and connects to the notch in the mouthpiece? It's the only thing that makes sense to me because everything else is clean that I can think of. It just goes red so much it's unusable

Spezialemic,

JoeKickass

Does anyone think the temp light issue can caused by resin or alcohol inside of the protrusion that slides in and out above the spring and connects to the notch in the mouthpiece? It's the only thing that makes sense to me because everything else is clean that I can think of. It just goes red so much it's unusable
It could be, or it could be some kind of loose connection.. did you try getting a new one?

JoeKickass,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Its definitely finicky, I use lube on the end of a pipe cleaner to give it a bit of a boost in how long it runs with out problems. I actually before reading any of this just got back from buying those fuzzy dental picks as one of mine is starting to become stubborn.:lol: If you hold the mouthpiece in the opposite direction of the light (Press up with your lip) it fixes the problem, not a permenant fix, but nice if your on the go and it fucks up mid session. I am guessing pax will change soon as this is a serious design flaw in my opinion, luckily any one that owns one under warranty could probably upgrade for free later on, as long as you are experiencing technical difficulties.
That sounds like my exact problem, I got my pax a week ago, have barely used it, and cleaned it several time OCD style. It will flash the temp for a second, then back to green, SO I THOUGHT, but then i noticed sometimes it will flash yellow(when its set to orange), its always only for a second. I left a message here a few days ago and Mr.Krinkle said its the temp light issue, and it's probably dirty. Also, I'm confused aha, which finish is the newer model? I think I'm seeing conflicting statements.
Theres been three finishes that I've seen, they appear to be getting coarser/rougher every update. Anodizing will vary depending on how long you leave it in the tank, they're most likely refining the finish to where they like it. Most likely people were complaining about it being smooth and dropping it.

Mr.Krinkle,

Fishkybizniz

Thank you for the information! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experience with all the details. I must be sitting on and early bird unit because I have the smooth finish. I sure hope Ploom does well with these because I'm loving mine. :tup:

Fishkybizniz,

Spezialemic

So I think I fixed my problem. I noticed that when I removed my mouthpiece, the protrusion was not always in the "out" position that it's supposed to be in, so I hypothesized that maybe I had stretched the spring while cleaning in that area with the dental pick. I work in healthcare, so I used two large gauge needles to remove the spring, and I compressed it. This seemed to make the issue much less prevalent, but I went a step further and disassembled the mouthpiece, and iso's and scrubbed each part. Now, I can't even get the temp light issue while using my pax if I TRY :)

llama1892

Aaron Rodgers Afficianado
So I think I fixed my problem. I noticed that when I removed my mouthpiece, the protrusion was not always in the "out" position that it's supposed to be in, so I hypothesized that maybe I had stretched the spring while cleaning in that area with the dental pick. I work in healthcare, so I used two large gauge needles to remove the spring, and I compressed it. This seemed to make the issue much less prevalent, but I went a step further and disassembled the mouthpiece, and iso's and scrubbed each part. Now, I can't even get the temp light issue while using my pax if I TRY :)
Would you like to do that to mine for me? ;)
I contacted Ploom about the temp light issue and they are going to send me some "super duper Pax lube" that they swear does the trick... I'm skeptical about it actually working as I have tried all of their other tips and the temp light issue is still prevalent. Has anyone else received the lube from Ploom? If yes how has it worked?

llama1892,

Reflections

I got my pax in december..enjoyed using for 2 months..i found this forum when i started to have a temp light problem.. i watched the cleaning vids...tried suggestions here...looked at vaporpedia...cleaned it according to videos and what people suggested here.. Then i started to get the sticking mouth piece. Emailed vapeworld and they sent me the lube...I put it on and inserted mouth piece..started to medicate and burst out coughing so bad i thought id have to go to er.. closed the mouth piece and wasnt able to get the mouthpiece unstuck according to all advice..like it was welded in... I sent it back to vape world and was informed I'll be getting a new pax... Sadly I have been without for over 2 weeks now. When i get new one i doubt i will ever be trying that lube again.. and Im and ecig user, they say it is pg but i use a vg in my ecigs.. cause i didnt like the pg..it made me cough to much. I do like the idea of the coconut oil instead,perhaps ill try that,but wish i didnt have to use any lubes.

Reflections,

JoeKickass

I put it on and inserted mouth piece..started to medicate and burst out coughing so bad i thought id have to go to er.. closed the mouth piece and wasnt able to get the mouthpiece unstuck according to all advice..like it was welded in... I sent it back to vape world and was informed I'll be getting a new pax... Sadly I have been without for over 2 weeks now. When i get new one i doubt i will ever be trying that lube again.. and Im and ecig user, they say it is pg but i use a vg in my ecigs.. cause i didnt like the pg..it made me cough to much. I do like the idea of the coconut oil instead,perhaps ill try that,but wish i didnt have to use any lubes.
You didn't put the lube in the oven did you? The only thing I can think of is maybe a drip of lube went down the tube and hit the oven...

But try using way less lube, just a tiny drop on the outside of the MP and use your finger to spread it, make sure there's no globs inside the tube !

JoeKickass,

Reflections

I applied it sparingly according to plooms tutorial on how to apply...who knows Joe maybe some of it dripped through it,but i surely dont want to repeat that session..lol

Reflections,

JoeKickass

I applied it sparingly according to plooms tutorial on how to apply...who knows Joe maybe some of it dripped through it,but i surely dont want to repeat that session..lol
Yeah I would imagine, I tasted some and it's bitter as hell! But I do use the lube and the taste is the same as when I didn't use any so maybe you should just try a tiny bit on the sliding ring (after you make sure you clean everything else)

JoeKickass,

MolecularConcept

I have a little glass eye dropper and a put a drip on the ring and a drop inside the mouth piece. This is the place where the sliding takes place hence where the lube is needed. You won't taste it just a drop, and pop the MP in and out a Few times.

MolecularConcept,

Spezialemic

I
Would you like to do that to mine for me? ;)
I contacted Ploom about the temp light issue and they are going to send me some "super duper Pax lube" that they swear does the trick... I'm skeptical about it actually working as I have tried all of their other tips and the temp light issue is still prevalent. Has anyone else received the lube from Ploom? If yes how has it worked?

I sent in my pax once before, and they sent it back with some of the lube. It seemed to fix the issue for a while but I still got the temp light every now and again. Now that I compressed the spring, I haven't had the issue at all

I

I sent in my pax once before, and they sent it back with some of the lube. It seemed to fix the issue for a while but I still got the temp light every now and again. Now that I compressed the spring, I haven't had the issue at all
And I'm not even using the lubricant anymore

mod note: You'll need to learn to use manual quote tags, to avoid back to back posts when quoting. Posts merged http://fuckcombustion.com/help/bb-codes

Spezialemic,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
I again have found that this vape is a better single user vape. I was hitting it with friends last night, and I wasn't feeling near what I thought I should when passing it. I know that we are splitting the load up and what not, but I think I might just run the pax by myself from now on..

Anyone else not happy with the results when they use it with others?

ILoveCollege,
Reactions: xclarryx

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Thats the first thing I said about the lube, that someone would inevitably smoke it even though its on the outside of the downstem.
I have a little glass eye dropper and a put a drip on the ring and a drop inside the mouth piece. This is the place where the sliding takes place hence where the lube is needed. You won't taste it just a drop, and pop the MP in and out a Few times.
I used lube last night on my old model, the first application did nothing, so I relapplied, I thought about it and it makes more sense to put lube in that bottom ditch not the slider ring, after all the temp light is occurring when the Pax is open, (when the bottom of the mouth piece is making contact, not the sliding ring). I put a blob on the bottom instead of the ring and it worked right away. So, if anyones having problems try putting it in the dent at the bottom of the stainless tube instead.
no, just you. I actually think this is far worse solo, as I have time to recover when I am hitting it with friends, I waste part of the session every time I cough or have to recover from a hit, where as a friend could be hitting it otherwise. Passing it around gives vapor a extra second or two to build up too.

JoeKickass

I again have found that this vape is a better single user vape. I was hitting it with friends last night, and I wasn't feeling near what I thought I should when passing it. I know that we are splitting the load up and what not, but I think I might just run the pax by myself from now on..

Yours friends are probably hitting it too hard and cooling it down.

If you need to start in orange or red, but if you can explain to them that it builds the vapor and you only have to draw off what is built up and not draw air through the load you'll notice bigger clouds even though you take smaller hits!

JoeKickass,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
no, just you. I actually think this is far worse solo, as I have time to recover when I am hitting it with friends, I waste part of the session every time I cough or have to recover from a hit, where as a friend could be hitting it otherwise. Passing it around gives vapor a extra second or two to build up too.

I do have a higher tolerance/high metabolism... I rarely cough when hitting it, and I normally let it be in between hits so the vapor can build up. Unless we are hitting it through a glass piece, as at that point, then you can take larger hits and let the vapor build up in the glass.

Yours friends are probably hitting it too hard and cooling it down.

If you need to start in orange or red, but if you can explain to them that it builds the vapor and you only have to draw off what is built up and not draw air through the load you'll notice bigger clouds even though you take smaller hits!
I have tried to teach my friends how to hit it and so far are kinda successful, but I know that if you don't exactly get how to hit it, you aren't satisfied with it.. I have had some people tell me that it was a waste of money because it doesn't really work. I beg to differ, but I also live with it and I get to use it much more than they do.

ILoveCollege,

JoeKickass

I have had some people tell me that it was a waste of money because it doesn't really work. I beg to differ, but I also live with it and I get to use it much more than they do.
Yeah don't worry, the way to impress smokers is to turn it up to high right from the beginning. Let it heat up 5 sec after green and try to give it some seconds between hits to get max possible clouds, also tell them to hold it for longer than 5 sec to absorb more

JoeKickass,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
Yeah don't worry, the way to impress smokers is to turn it up to high right from the beginning. Let it heat up 5 sec after green and try to give it some seconds between hits to get max possible clouds, also tell them to hold it for longer than 5 sec to absorb more

I normally start on Orange when I am with people as when you first hit it, and you son't understand a vape, people who blow no vapor cloud are not happy with the results, but little do they know that they are indeed inhaling THC. I know the pax isn't the best for taste, but I do know that on low, my stuff tastes really good.

In other news, I created a chillum out of a large Voss bottle, and it hits smoother than anything I have seen before. A little DIY project with amazing results.

ILoveCollege,

Reflections

Mr Krinkle, on the ploom site on how to apply lubricant it says

1) Tear open lubricant packet.

2) Drip a small droplet of lubricant into the

stem of the metal mouthpiece tube.

3) Then apply another small droplet on the

outside of the metal tube. Use the packet to

smudge it all around the tube and under

the small sliding part.

4) Re-insert your mouthpiece into Pax and

press the mouthpiece in and out a few times

to distribute the lubricant.

5) Enjoy your smooth Pax!

On 2. it says apply a small drop into the stem in mouthpiece... with a picture ...so you are sucking in some lubricant..thats what happened to me..cough cough!

Reflections,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Mr Krinkle, on the ploom site on how to apply lubricant it says

2) Drip a small droplet of lubricant into the

stem of the metal mouthpiece tube.

On 2. it says apply a small drop into the stem in mouthpiece... with a picture ...so you are sucking in some lubricant..thats what happened to me..cough cough!
Are you fucking serious? I never actually read that instruction guide as I read it here first and never bothered. That is insane and I would never put the lube on the inside of the stem or suggest it to any one.
edit- Ohhhh inside the stem of the mouthpiece, I was confusing this for the downstem inside the pax. Either way I wouldnt do that either.

JoeKickass

Yeah what I did was apply the lube from the packet on the outside of the MP (like a quarter of a grain of rice size, tiny) and just smear it around with my finger, then touch the bottom of the MP stem so it only gets a little lube gets on the sloped part. My Pax has felt pretty good since I started using the lube

And you really don't want that stuff sliding down to the heater so you breathe it... (even if it is harmless)

JoeKickass,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom