Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I noticed this at first too, I leave it for about 5 minutes partymode high after I clean it to help rid excess, I think its part what Pakalolo said, and just moisture from maybe alcohol/resin that worked its way into that tiny seam at the top of the oven where it meats the black plastic top. Its hard to clean in that tiny seam its damn near impossible.
Edit
I'd say its definitely residual moisture from the iso that worked its way into that crease. 5-10 minutes on party mode after cleaning should fix this
second edit

Thats your pax telling you to clean it :tup: haha- your officially a proud pax owner. Thats the temp setting issue. You can fix that by inserting a pipe cleaner around the outside of the airpath and clean that locking mechanism/latch and ring that you can see if you look down it with a flashlight.

WTF thats creepy, did you add the music? lol

My Pax sometimes leaks when Im using it if i tilt the oven lid. Also after I finish a load and dont clear it, when I go to dump out the abv I get flashes of vapor like that as well for a while.

Live-N-Learn,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Mine does this too but my mouthpiece has always been a bit screwy. Its the mouthpiece losing connection real quick causing a quick led flash of whatever temp its set on, just as if you pulled the mouthpiece out.

Next time u use it, once it gets to green, wiggle the mouthpiece in place and you will more than likely trigger it. Cleaning solves this, but only temporarily from my experience

This is correct I think. Mine does this too.

pakalolo,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yes sorry to scare you. VERY VERY sure in my case it is the iso because it won't do that after a couple uses. If it was buildup it'd still do it after.

NO offgassing and believe me I was looking for it (as always)

GratefulVapor

Phish Head
I have enjoyed using my PAX, when I have needed a portable in sketchy environments. Mostly, concerts & other public events. As we have all experienced, security is higher these days (post 9-11), in all sorts of environments. Concerts, have always been a problem for myself. The type of music I listen to, has law-enforcement profiling me all the time. It's a nasty problem in the live music scene. Anyways, I definitely will testify that the PAX is the best portable for these situations.
Last weekend, while at a concert, I was 'far-enough' away from any security to use my pax. I promptly did just that. The particular venue is really trying to crack down on cig. smoking inside(it's a nice place, I don't blame them), so security was looking for smoke clouds, etc. I guess a vapor cloud caught the attention of one of them, cause he came into the crowd to approach me. I didnt see him coming either. Long story short, he immediately said "That doesn't look like no electronic cigarette to me!" (didn't smell like one neither :doh:), & I of course ensured him that it was. He wasn't buying it, & his face said it all. He knew what it was, just didn't know the word for it. I wouldn't budge about it being an electronic cig., & had it put away. He started doubting himself, & eventually said "...Well, whatever it is, I don't want you smoking nothing!". I was fine with that, & just moved to another area.
He was abnormal, as far as security guards go, but I still wanted to report the experience to yall. The PAX is great, but if you live in a State that is still very hard on cannabis possession, it is better to be safe than sorry & use your PAX with caution. :myday:
PAX on, my fellow Ploomers. :rockon:

rsqemt911

Here are some pics of my adapter:

PAX MP Metal stem attached to a 14mm Vapor Bro's VaporBong attachment and then i added sugru self setting rubber to fill the void left as well as stabilize the adapter in the socket.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

jeff

PAX MP Metal stem attached to a 14mm Vapor Bro's VaporBong attachment and then i added sugru self setting rubber to fill the void left as well as stabilize the adapter in the socket.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Dude your pics don't show up for me. But i googled Sugru. That stuff is awesome. My Extreme Q mod with a volcano easy bag leaks. And I think you just solved that for me! I have not been able to keep it sealed with just rubber gaskets etc. this should do it though. Oh and fix my MBP cord too! Thanks Bro!

jeff,

Bildo3523

Hey guys I've had my PAX since late August or perhaps early September. Knock on wood but I've had no serious problems yet. Just a couple quick things I'd like to point out and/or rehash for some folks:

PAX no likey cold environments. On cold days when I leave my PAX under the seat of my car it won't turn on and will give me a flashing red light as if the battery is dead. However; this is fixed by simply holding the PAX in my hand for a while and the bodyheat alone allows the PAX to warm up enough to start up. It should also be noted that I work in essentially a giant refrigerator that's constantly at 35F and my PAX works fine if I leave it in my pocket thru the day. (32F is probably the magic cutoff number!)

Stuck MP: Within the first couple of months I owned my PAX the MP got jammed shut. Running a blowdryer on it allowed it to losen up and I've never had that problem again.

Temp light issues and cleaning: A clean PAX is a happy PAX. It's just so damn true. Temp light issues aren't so bad for me, they start up after a week and a half or so of vaping and I give my buddy a bath. I fill up a couple disposable plastic cups with 91% ISO and throw the MP in one cup and the screen in another cup. I clean the oven lid by scraping it first with a nail scraper i ripped off a pair of nail clippers and the rest gets cleaned with ISO and a dental pick.

The real trick when cleaning to avoid temp light issues is to know where to clean. If you pull the MP off your PAX and look down the vapor tube with the LED facing you, you can see a little metal contact point on the opposite end just where the spring starts in the vapor path. This is the bad boy you want spotless. Scrub it with that you got; pipe cleaner, q-tip (remove some cotton to make it smaller to fit), dental pick, etc. Also remember this vape resin is tricky business. Getting resin wet with ISO doesn't mean its clean so you can slosh around as much iso as you want but if you're not removing it all entirely then congratulations you've technically made QWISO on your oven door once it dries. I have to move my MP to a completely fresh up of ISO a second time while i clean my PAX cuz the original ISO gets yellowy and dirty and is obviously just going to make the MP sticky when it dries...Yeah, I think that all makes sense.

Finally, I haven't seen them mentioned lately but you people HAVE to add DenTek Easy Brush Narrow Tapered dental picks to your cleaning arsenal. They are PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT to clean the spot you need to have cleaned when you start having temp light issues. I remember they used to be mentioned alot back in first 150 pages or so but I haven't heard anything lately so if you come away with anything from my long-winded post it's that you need THESE picks to clean THAT spot on your pax.

I'd like to point out (obviously) that after 6 months or so of owning my PAX i'm still 100000000000% satisfied. I'd also like to point out I totally avoided a back-to-back post by using the edit button. Boo-yah.

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Cool!

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
non of your pics work. try reposting them, I am interested :D

Mr.Krinkle,

rsqemt911

That's wierd because they are showing up for me on both my laptop and my iPhone. I had to link them because it won't let me upload directly. How can I post them so you can see them?

rsqemt911,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Save the images and upload to tinypic.com. I right clicked your image and it sent me to grasscity login screen

Live-N-Learn,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That's wierd because they are showing up for me on both my laptop and my iPhone. I had to link them because it won't let me upload directly. How can I post them so you can see them?

You are logged into Grass City, but most of us aren't.

pakalolo,

rsqemt911

A
You are logged into Grass City, but most of us aren't.

Ahh. Im sorry. I'm doing this all from my iPhone. My laptop is at my office. I can only link here. Grasscity I uploaded the images straight from my phone. I'll work on it.

Might as well get on grasscity too though. They have some good info there as well. I use there more because they have an iPhone app. The thing I used to surf this site on my iPhone is no longer compatible.

rsqemt911,

Fishkybizniz

I got my PAX a few weeks ago and not having any problems. I'm loving it because I've got it working exactly like an inhaler. And thanks for the DenTek Easy Brush Narrow tip. :clap: It's on my shopping list. I'm curious how old your units are that you are now having to address issues? And how are you packing your ovens? I wanted the inhaler experience (not seeing a vapor cloud) so I'm wondering if how we're using our devices might make a difference. :)

Fishkybizniz,
The Pax is not off-gassing. I took mine apart to make sure that the origin was the oven and not any of the internals. The oven and vapour path are completely sealed from the internals unless you have wrecked the O-rings at the oven end, which I have done with zero concern.

If darkrom really got all of the resin out, then the only other source would be the ISO as he speculates. I'm pretty sure in my case it's accumulated resin, or mostly at least, because I am not compelled to go to great lengths to get every last trace of it.

If it hasn't been cleaned then it is guaranteed to give off something when heated empty.

Edit: Oops. I made this mistake before. The internals aren't completely sealed off, there is a small slit where the latching clip protrudes into the well holding the SS tube for the vapour. Since the stem from the MP does not make a leak-proof seal when it is in place, there is a convoluted path from the internals into the vapour path, but in order for anything to make it through to the oven and cause "mystery smoke" as seen in darkrom's video, it would have to be so thick that there would be obvious mystery smoke coming out the LED cutout as well.

That was a HUGE QUESTION/CONCERN I really wanted to know, is how well sealed the vapor path REALLY is from the internals, thanks for explaining that! I was really hoping they'd have some rubber seal or something build into the MP so that it would lock on and seal it completely from the internals, that's too bad... they should add that when they come out with a newer model/ update which I'm sure they eventually will

Beaunaire

I got my new replacement Pax from Vapeworld on Weds, customer service was great. However, the problem with my first Pax was inexplicable. It went from working perfectly to perpetual purple mode, never heating up. Purple, purple, purple, a brief orange (regardless of temp setting) and then power out. I had it for about 3 1/2 months prior to the failure. I certainly hope it doesn't happen with my new one because the interim return to combustion was miserable. If anybody knows what went wrong, I'd like to know. Has anybody else experienced similar unit failure?

Fishkybizniz

I got my new replacement Pax from Vapeworld on Weds, customer service was great. However, the problem with my first Pax was inexplicable. It went from working perfectly to perpetual purple mode, never heating up. Purple, purple, purple, a brief orange (regardless of temp setting) and then power out. I had it for about 3 1/2 months prior to the failure. I certainly hope it doesn't happen with my new one because the interim return to combustion was miserable. If anybody knows what went wrong, I'd like to know. Has anybody else experienced similar unit failure?

Sounds like you may have gotten one out of their first release? I watched more than several You Tube reviews on the PAX before buying it. In one video the reviewer said in the first release of the PAX, there were unit problems. He was clear to say the replacement unit they sent to them resolved the issues. He did say PAX also improved their customer service.

Fishkybizniz,

fogbank

PAX no likey cold environments.

I have a Pax that I'm keeping as a backup. It has never been used with any material whatsoever. When I got it I ran it empty (on high) for a few minutes, then charged it after it cooled down. I plan on running it on high for 10-15 minutes about once per week, then charging it back up again just to keep the battery "conditioned".

Today I took it out to do this. I've kept it outside in my garage. Temperature last night dipped into the low 40s. When I turned it on it went to purple, then briefly showed the red temp light before returning to purple and heating up normally.

This sounds like the "temp light issue" to me, occurring on a completely clean, never-been-used Pax.

So I would say that there are causes of the "temp light issue" other than a dirty Pax. Seems to me that cold temperatures may also cause the "temp light issue".

fogbank,

Beaunaire

Sounds like you may have gotten one out of their first release? I watched more than several You Tube reviews on the PAX before buying it. In one video the reviewer said in the first release of the PAX, there were unit problems. He was clear to say the replacement unit they sent to them resolved the issues. He did say PAX also improved their customer service.

Actually, from what I've read here I believe it was one of their second generation units. Smoother finish, re-designed mouth piece mechanism. They included 2 vials of lube in the shipping box, not the Pax box.

Beaunaire,

Fishkybizniz

Actually, from what I've read here I believe it was one of their second generation units. Smoother finish, re-designed mouth piece mechanism. They included 2 vials of lube in the shipping box, not the Pax box.

What kind of lube? It sounds like your source was trying to be helpful.

Fishkybizniz,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
just got back from my second show with a pax! duel weilding pax in boston! :D :rockon: The show was sold out and I waited around for about 20 minutes until someone gave me a ticket, blazed two full ovens and thought I was slick, two bouncers outside yell at the group of people waiting outside "YOU GUYS STINK!!" :lol: Thats all they said. Didnt seem to give two fucks. Show was awesome, pax is awesome etc.etc. I will sleep. :D

Spezialemic

Ok, so I'm having an issue with my pax now...the temp light issue...and it's gotten to the point that now my Pax is unusable. :( I clean it regularly: I use 91% alcohol and a pipe cleaner to clean the vapor path and to clean to the spring area I use both the pipe cleaner with some alcohol and a dental pick, plus I soak the mouthpiece in alcohol. As of right now, the ring on my (second gen) mouthpiece moves very freely. I also removed the spring, which is clean as can be. I just can't understand what could be causing the issue...thoughts?

Spezialemic,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I sent back my original Pax ( smooth finish from VapeWorld) for the stuck temp issue. While waiting for my replacement i used a brand new back up Pax ( rougher finish from Ploom )

I received my replacement within a week from VW and this one is now my backup.

The one from Ploom lasted about 2 months until it stopped heating. It would pulse purple and never turn green. Then it would flash orange and turn off. Never to work again.

So i sent this one back to Ploom and within 3 days i had another backup ( this finish even rougher than the last. )

Doing this sucks but as long as i have a backup while waiting i will keep sending them in for the full 10 years if i can.

I also think there is no avoiding the temp light issue. It has happened to everyone i have used
so far. :2c:

I have had 3 different finishes so far.

Ploom must not like me. I only received one pack of lube, no stickers, or t-shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom