• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKickass

darkrom

Great Scott!
http://www.underdogvapes.com/index.php/accessories/stems-and-supplies/wood-glass-wong/

Anyone think there is a good way to connect the pax to a bong with that? I'm reading the vaporpedia entry and wondering if this would work better at all?

Hahaha, dude that's what I'm saying, it just sucks man... I want this vape soooo bad, but I can'y buy one if it requires more than a quick clean once or twice a week, especially if it's going to need replacement or lubing, it's just ridiculous, I hope Ploom fixes all this crap soon, it's been a while now, have they not updated or fixed anything??

I use mine several times a day, at least 2x a day every day. I am yet to request lube from Ploom, because I'm a paranoid bastard who likes to keep things as simple as can be.

I run a iso moistened pipe cleaner through it. I soak the screen and mouthpiece in iso for a few min. I scrape off and SAVE the stuff stuck to the oven door (gunna try running QWISO on it and see if its worth saving soon) with a sharp pick tool thing I have. I run a dry pipe cleaner through it. I turn it on party mode on full temp for ~20 min.

I do all of this while watching a 22 minute TV show, lets call it once a week. I can do this less than once a week, but that is when I start getting things like the temp light issue. I can fix this with some jiggling and such for some emergency sessions, but that means I put cleaning off too long.

If you can't half assed clean this thing while watching TV as I described, then its probably not the vape for you. Keep in mind this is with ZERO lube ever. I have no intentions of ever using the lube either. I don't NEED it, it just lets you get away with a dirty pax for longer.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

toros23

http://www.underdogvapes.com/index.php/accessories/stems-and-supplies/wood-glass-wong/

Anyone think there is a good way to connect the pax to a bong with that? I'm reading the vaporpedia entry and wondering if this would work better at all?

I have actually tried this exact same thing but do not have a photo handy. Ploom support sent me some extra mouthpieces and I was able to remove the metal stem from the plastic mouthpiece. I had some tubing left over from an MFLB project and it fits perfectly between the UD WonG glass and the metal stem of the pax. The trick is not to insert the metal stem all the way into the pax so it does not get stuck. I did this forgetting about earlier posts and it was a real pain the get the metal stem to come loose but possible to do since the plastic from the mouthpiece is not in the way.

I used the contraption once but decided if I am using glass I have much better options than the pax. : )

toros23,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I used the contraption once but decided if I am using glass I have much better options than the pax. : )

Thanks! Yeah I agree I use my cloud with glass at home, but the heat up time is MUCH longer, plus it'd be a good device to have with the pax, just for situations when glass is available but people want to combust. No thanks. Not for me anymore, I'll just plug in my pax :)

darkrom,

BearlyAsleep

Personally.. I like my pax, but the EQ that I hit was so smooth (Pulled it through a whip and then through a bong, so that could have something to do with it) I think I would like a home unit eventually, but for now, my Pax has kept me happy.
Same here! I have my EQ whipped to a 2ft water bong, with ice above lol best.vape.experience.:smug:

BearlyAsleep,

BearlyAsleep

I just noticed, is there suppose to be a loose ring around the upper part of the steel tube, on the mouthpiece under the plastic?

BearlyAsleep,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I just noticed, is there suppose to be a loose ring around the upper part of the steel tube, on the mouthpiece under the plastic?
Nope, It must have manifested itself there;):lol: . That ring is important, it controls the locking mechanism on the mouthpiece

Mr.Krinkle,

SamanthaJ

Yes, it would still pop back up. Since then I rubbed it between my fingers a bit and then tried and it stayed locked down. So maybe time to clean it? Couldn't hurt. So that's the plan.

edit: Took the mouthpiece off, tried to lock it back again and wont stay down again, so we will see after it is clean

Damn, I'm confused. My Pax only has one click and that's to turn it off and keep it off. Not to keep it half way pushed in? Also, my lid is always popping off. You can't notice it, but the LED light comes on... indicating that the mouthpiece is off and the green light changes to the current temp color. I clean it regularly tooooooo. :/ Should I just send it back?

SamanthaJ,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
check to see if there is a gap between the spacer and the stainless stem. If there isn't, there should be, and the stainless tube is too far inserted into the plastic mouthpiece. Make sure you're cleaning that ring when you clean the Pax, if that ring gets stuck it will cause one of the symptoms you have (The mouthpiece not closing? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it doesnt go in half way?). As far as your lid coming off, sometimes they do that, they're held with magnets. Be careful! :D I tried making a proper video today on how to fix the temp light issue you're experiencing, I assure you its a simple fix. The video really wasn't good and needed a second person to clean the Pax while I operate the camera and talk, so it'll be a little while before I have a video worth watching unfortunately. Theres a lot of good info in this thread elaborating on cleaning the sensor to prevent the temp light from turning on mid session, but basically it goes like this- theres a little gap between the stainless tube and the body of the Pax, you need to get a pipe cleaner in there and work it around the entire circumference of the outside of the vapor tube, where the sensor and clip are found. I just insert the pipe cleaner about 3/4 of an inch down the outside of the path after applying a tiny bit of alcohol (make sure its not dripping, run your fingers down the pipe cleaner once or twice first before inserting it into the gap) rotate it a bunch of times, it works around the entire circle somewhat like a gear and cleans thoroughly with minimal effort. I'd wait to send it back, these all sound like fixable problems. Others in this thread have had Ploom send their Pax back after inspecting it and finding nothing unusual, so you may send it to them for nothing. Their customer service is amazing though, so should you have to send it back clean it good and they wont give you any trouble.

Mr.Krinkle,

unknownlegend

Just some thoughts about the most effective and error free way to use the Pax long term. I've had experience with the unit now for about 6 months. I think once you decide on the best temp setting for yourself you should just stick with one setting; I would worry about repeatedly pressing the temp button over time. Regarding cleaning, I do a major cleaning once a week where I use a lightly ISO sprinkled pipe cleaner and then use a dental brush to clean the mouthpiece stem and then I have a bottle of propylene glycol and put one drop on the stem on the moveable ring. The most important issue is to always make sure no ISO gets near the temp button. Since I've gotten into this routine I've had no problems and expect none. I don't know why so many people are commenting about taste issues on the different temp settings; I haven't noticed any measurable differences.

unknownlegend,
Reactions: Mr.Krinkle

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Both work well, the key is just to compress the bowl flat and solid
Ive noticed compressing too much with my most recent strain completely blocks my air flow.:\ be careful overpacking it!
I think once you decide on the best temp setting for yourself you should just stick with one setting; I don't know why so many people are commenting about taste issues on the different temp settings; I haven't noticed any measurable differences.
I agree with not fucking constantly with the temp, my friend does it to mine mid session and it pisses me off hahaha, I have said that before, 3 different temp settings for one pack is ridiculous, but if thats how some of you want to do it :tup: doesn't hurt me :D I disagree with you on the flavor being the same on all settings, low definitely takes a minute extra to start really hitting well, but the taste compared to medium and high is unmatched. High kinda kills the flavor after 3 strong pulls, where as yellow cooks it slower and keeps the flavor around at least twice as long, probably longer.
For the new folks, try the search feature on basic questions, a lot of these have real thorough responses and it takes less time searching then it does waiting for a response!

Mr.Krinkle,
Reactions: ogcook

ipax

I disagree on not touching the temp button for a few reasons. If I'm vaping good stuff, I'll start on low and use it till the clouds start to die down, then stir and flip it onto medium. I do this to keep vapor production at a constant. The few times i've used mid grade stuff I've used medium -> high, as it doesn't produce anything worthwhile on low.

Also,
It'd be really cool to find something (like a mini brick) to stick in the oven that would wedge the pax-food up against the walls, I feel like if we could increase the surface area, while also increasing the density this thing would be lethal.

ipax,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I disagree on not touching the temp button for a few reasons. If I'm vaping good stuff, I'll start on low and use it till the clouds start to die down, then stir and flip it onto medium. I do this to keep vapor production at a constant. The few times i've used mid grade stuff I've used medium -> high, as it doesn't produce anything worthwhile on low.

Also,
It'd be really cool to find something (like a mini brick) to stick in the oven that would wedge the pax-food up against the walls, I feel like if we could increase the surface area, while also increasing the density this thing would be lethal.
Try a full session on low, I keep telling people this and no-one listens! low is awesome, my friend has a N02 vape that you cannot use higher than the LOW temp for pax or the n02 will burn you :D It was what originally made me tinker, I couldnt figure out why his shit brick vape was working better than mine for the same temperature. It takes a full minute or so of "Not getting hits" before it starts ripping, but even on low I get hits that make me cough my tits off.
Yeah, those screens are a pain in the ass. I'm not exactly sure what happens, but they do just not want to stay put after some time. I think you're right about the screen edge wearing down because new ones fit snug. I've thought about taking a Dremmel, very lightly, to the inside of the oven on the vapor tube side so that there is some texture for the screen to grab onto on that side. I'm hoping that this will do the trick.
OK ALMOST FORGOT! I have a solution for you that requires no dremmeling of any sort! The normal screen bends down in the center and the lips on the inside of the pax hold it tight, while the screen sits concaving, almost like a U shape. You want to flatten the screen, and then bend it the opposite direction so it is convexing, it'll fight you a little if you try and put it in flat (The screen is slightly longer than the oven), you have to put it in one side at a time, I use a poker to get the second side down. It'll lock firmly in place, easy enough to remove still with a pipe cleaner, and it gives great hits, theres a big difference in airflow. The screen bending upwards prevents most of the bottom of the oven from making contact with the bottom of the screen, so I like this configuration for if I am using HIGH because it isnt cooking it as fast, as it creates a substantial air pocket under the screen ( just barely, but theres a noticeable difference hitting it, and the vaped bud doesnt get dark dark brown/borderline black in the corners of the bottom of the oven on high any more) I made one screen have a M shape to it (it dips down in the middle) This gives me the same airflow but cooks it as much as a normal screen configuration.

Mr.Krinkle,
Reactions: ogcook

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
hmmm maybe I can make one, thanks for the inspiration!

This is what I did when I made my own water bottle bong. I am working on a new piece, should have it done soon, but I used Aquarium tubing (Whatever diameter that is) I would like to get medical grade tubing to replace it, and maybe one day I will.

I bet that wood mouthpiece tastes great.

ILoveCollege,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I seriously love the screen convexing, it takes a little edge off the oven, its almost like a convection/conduction hybrid. Try it out guys! :tup:

Onion_Kush

I ordered my Pax last Friday and it shipped on Monday. I can't wait to get it, though it seems to be moving a little slow through the mail. I was an avid vapor user for a long time, but recently I ran into problems with my herbalaire (bags just keep leaking). It'll be nice to be vaping again as I'm getting sick of the damage my bong is doing to my lungs. I have a MFLB I could use, but it doesn't do the trick because of my high tolerance. I'm hoping with the Pax that the large oven size and sleek design will make it a portable I actually use when I'm out and about.

Onion_Kush,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom