Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbawesome

Hi new here, was wondering if you could re-use the cleaning kits that came with the pax for a lifetime (hopefully cleaning the brushes/wipes somehow) as I'm too lazy to repurchase them and also am a cheap as hell, thanks!

jamesbawesome,

TheHerbalReview

@TheHerbalReview
Hi new here, was wondering if you could re-use the cleaning kits that came with the pax for a lifetime (hopefully cleaning the brushes/wipes somehow) as I'm too lazy to repurchase them and also am a cheap as hell, thanks!

You definitely aren't going to be able to use them for a lifetime man... As cheap as you supposably are, if you can fork up over $200 for a nice portable vape, you aren't going to mind paying $5 for some alcohol and pipe cleaners. If you watch my review video above, you'll see the cleaning kit isn't anything extravagant... just a few pieces that'll help keep it clean for a few months.

TheHerbalReview,
Reactions: darkrom

Beaunaire

What Herb Review said. I'm cheap as hell too, but I managed to cough up $250 for a Pax and god knows what I'm spending on fodder. My wife always has a box of Q-tips, toothpicks and some alcohol around, I'll add on the $2 for pipe cleaners. If you can coast without that expense, you've certainly figured out how to make an ounce last a year. Please share!

Beaunaire,
Reactions: ogcook

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So I let my Pax sit unused for about five days without cleaning it first. Don't try this at home, folks! When I used it again, it tasted really foul, and this is from a device that doesn't taste great at the best of times. A thorough cleaning got rid of most of it, but there's a lingering bad taste that I hope will go away. The only other experience I've had like this is the horrible taste that develops in bags after a couple of uses.

pakalolo,

Tweek

If I keep it on low, the flavour is good, doesn't seem to get that stale. Anything above that and it can get really funky. Still packs (PAX?) a good quick punch though when I am on the go. Not my go to for the high end goodies that I want to taste.

Edit: I've been using the PAX to extract deeper into AVB when I am running low. Seems to be a great job for the PAX.

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
here ya go!

rhpxj8.jpg

Just incase you cant tell, i strive for a very sugary product! u like????

Actually I don't like this.. It makes my "good" look like garbage, bottom bag scrap.

If I ever come up north, might give you a shout out in hopes to see these gems..

But, well played, well played.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I find that Hi setting always makes it taste/smell bad. If I run on low or med, my herbs don't' take on that extra funky smell that the high setting seems to produce. Its not burned, but damn close, on the verge, and it smells pretty strong. I can see why that lingering taste might put some off, if the resins inside got left behind in that condition.

I do like to use the Hi setting for re-vaping light colored ABV as well, most of my other vapes leave a golden abv behind, so it's still got lots of goodies.

encephalon7

Hello, all. New to the forum and just received my Pax this morning. I really enjoy it. Other than its aesthetic appeal, a credit to this device is its ease of use. It required all of 5 minutes to grasp Pax's (variegated ;) ) features. It's pretty, it's easy, and the smoke flavor is exquisite (low temp setting, as suggested by others). I dare go so far as to say this is what I was looking for in a vaporizer. Granted, I partake only for recreational purposes and I've had the unit but < a day, my opinion is subject to change. For now, I am inebriated and feeling rather sanguine about the fact that I have finally switched to a healthier means of herbal inhalation.

miffi

Got my pax yesterday. Love it. I have a volcano classic and an mflb. The pax is really great for use with friends. The larger oven size makes it much more convenient to me. I like the simplicity of not having to carry batteries around.

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.

:lol: Dude look around online, you can get giant bundles of pipe cleaners for 5 bucks of the more expensive brand. Alchahol is like a dollar and change at cvs or walmart or what ever local store you got around there. Thats the price of like a quarter of a bowlpack :rolleyes: :doh:
For sure bro. I've been cleaning my ears with the same Q-tip for the last 10 years.
Bhahah
I find that Hi setting always makes it taste/smell bad. If I run on low or med, my herbs don't' take on that extra funky smell that the high setting seems to produce.
I love love love low and med, All I used was high when I first got it, now I only use it to finish a bowl. Low seemed pritty useless at first, but I never gave it more than a hits chance before beefing up the heat, it takes a little extra time to start goin but low is great. I agree with you, I cant even smoke it on high now
Anybody have an updated opinion of the Pax?
Its great! :lol:

Mr.Krinkle,
Reactions: grokit

fogbank

I couldn't agree more about ease of use with the Pax. I feel that even if I had ZERO experience vaping I could get vapor from the Pax within 5 minutes of pulling it out of the box (not counting charging time of course).

I mentioned a few pages back that I've primarily used my Pax to re-vape my T1 ABV. From a single packed oven of my T1 ABV I can get well medicated three times. YEAH!

I get a little "neurotic" about the performance of my vapes. If I sense that vapor production is off I start freaking out that something is wrong with the vape (even if it's all in my mind). I don't care about visual clouds, I care about hits that feel strong, are on the warm side, and almost make me cough. I guess it's just a preference learned from combusting.

Anyway I started feeling "iffy" about my Pax with my T1 ABV. Hits seemed cooler and weaker. I was getting medicated, but was convinced that vapor production was trailing off. So I gave it a thorough cleaning and, for the first time, packed it full of fresh "never-vaped" material. Temperature outside was in the 50's, so I set it on medium. I let it heat up and ended up getting two very big, satisfying, rich, warm/hot hits.

Doubt erased.:D

I do have some questions for the forum: Some folks (e.g. Pakalolo) have been able to get good results with only enough material to cover the screen, and without packing it down. I have tried that and did not get good results. Is there a trick to it?

There was also some talk about a "spacer" or something similar to hold smaller amounts in place so they will stay in contact with the oven walls. Has anyone done this? If so, what would be used and how?

Thanks!

fogbank,
Reactions: ogcook

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I do have some questions for the forum: Some folks (e.g. Pakalolo) have been able to get good results with only enough material to cover the screen, and without packing it down. I have tried that and did not get good results. Is there a trick to it?

There was also some talk about a "spacer" or something similar to hold smaller amounts in place so they will stay in contact with the oven walls. Has anyone done this? If so, what would be used and how?

Thanks!
Good material, tight pack, high heat! :D or at least medium heat. I used two screens as a spacer and it worked great, you can get a three pack for 10 bucks. Imagine a see-saw, I bent the bottom one like a v and put it under the other, JUST DONT BLOW YOUR BOWL OUT IN THE TRASH or you will loose both screens, I forgot that the screens were no longer locked in place by doing this, so I lost 2 screens to the trash :lol: I think youll get much better heat with out the spacer, maybe try buying a three pack and stacking 3 under the used one, all flat, so that you dont loose heat production. Youll probably reduce the size of the pack by at least a third maybe a half.

Mr.Krinkle,

fogbank

Good material, tight pack, high heat! :D or at least medium heat. I used two screens as a spacer and it worked great, you can get a three pack for 10 bucks. Imagine a see-saw, I bent the bottom one like a v and put it under the other, JUST DONT BLOW YOUR BOWL OUT IN THE TRASH or you will loose both screens, I forgot that the screens were no longer locked in place by doing this, so I lost 2 screens to the trash :lol: I think youll get much better heat with out the spacer, maybe try buying a three pack and stacking 3 under the used one, all flat, so that you dont loose heat production. Youll probably reduce the size of the pack by at least a third maybe a half.

Great idea, thanks!. So you put the extra screen(s) in the bottom of the oven along with the original screen? What if we sandwiched the load between two screens? Original screen in the usual position, load a small amount, then add a screen on top? I wonder if that would work... I don't think that the oven lid is a significant source of heat, so the material does not need to be exposed to it.

fogbank,

JoeKickass

I'm still loving my Pax (although it's a pain in the ass to clean)
Definitely look into Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, just rip a tiny piece off, run under water and squeeze out the excess. Scrub it with a stick (screwdriver or back of a pen) You can get a shiny oven in under 5 mins!

The stem/tube and the MP are the only things I use iso on now!

JoeKickass,

Vapor Cloud

So I've had my Onyx Pax for about a week now. Here's my first impressions:

It looks great, best looking portable vape I have (out of MFLB and arizer solo). Good battery life, I bought the car charger along with it and it works great.

This vape tastes "different" than most vapes I've tried. It's not the best flavor wise, but I don't mind it at all. I get full rich hits that gets me to where I want to be and thats the most important thing I think.

My pax came with 4 packs of the mouthpiece lube as well as the cleaning kit. I'm pretty uptight about all my smoking devices, I usually clean them after I use them and never let any build up occur. The pax isn't too hard to clean and tastes better when it is clean, I really don't mind the maintenance needed on it.

So everything is great, best portable vape I've used hands down. BUT can some one tell me the appeal of the lowest setting? Everyone on here seems to love it. I mean I get a lot of flavorful hits with it but very little vapor to none at all, and it seems to take forever to start going from green to brown ABV. I keep mine on orange and when the bowl is done bump up to red for a hit or two. I can see yellow being good for being stealthy and making it last longer, but I think I'd rather have it a little higher.

The paperclip in the mouthpiece as a stirring tool is clutch. I'm glad I read this forum before buying one. I highly recommend this vape.

JoeKickass

can some one tell me the appeal of the lowest setting? Everyone on here seems to love it. I mean I get a lot of flavorful hits with it but very little vapor to none at all, and it seems to take forever to start going from green to brown ABV. I keep mine on orange and when the bowl is done bump up to red for a hit or two. I can see yellow being good for being stealthy and making it last longer, but I think I'd rather have it a little higher.
If you slow down your hits, you'll get much more vapor. I know it's a bit contradictory but because the Pax is all conduction rather than convection, when you draw air you only cool everything down, the slower you draw the more vapor you'll get.

Try letting it turn green on yellow, wait 5-10 sec, draw real slow, use your cheeks rather than your lungs. Fill your mouth twice or so for each hit and then the rest of your lungs with regular air, the idea is only take the vapor that built up and not cool it too much. If you're slow enough the heater will heat faster than you cool it down and you'll notice the vapor getting thicker, even on yellow.

When you get a feel for it, you can slow your draws to let it warm up, and then do some massive hits (spaced out to let it heat back up) Even though you're taking less air total, you're getting thicker vapor and stronger hits! You'll notice much more even colored abv too.

Other tricks are things like: avoid exposing the oven to cold air, hold it at the bottom so the air "preheats", and cock the oven door so the airflow is more restricted.

1greatvape

after reading about pax, watching youtube videos on pax, and other pax related info i finally decided to get one. love this device. prev. owned an arizer extreme q for about 2-3 years until i just got the pax. haven't read all the replies for this post thread but basically i want to help out those who aren't getting clouds on their pax vaporizer devices. so i was grinding up herbs as usual and pouring it in, pushing up the mouthpiece to turn it on and thought i'd be ready to go. however, it seems that this idea/process does not provide clouds or very little if any. i then packed the crap out of it with like, almost "0.4g" of herb and had to stuff and pack it in with a bit of effort. i also poured some dry concentrate (not oil, just regular dry concentrate. not sticky though, just dry and crumbly) in between the first and second layer of packed herb. make sure to pack it well, i use my pinky or something flat like the head of a nail or back of a pen. this time the pax produced MASSIVE CLOUDS! so for my next test, i packed it in just like i last packed it with the "0.4g" except this time i only packed "0.1g" of herbs and pushed it to the bottom. tip: the more rustic and chunky you break up your herb the longer it will vaporize and the more clouds you'll end up having. so basically, you can't just pour loose herb and expect clouds. you have to pack it in if it small or large, you gotta pack it and press it up against the bottom so it just looks like a flat pressed block of herb. anyway, just thought i'd add this tip cause i almost ended up returning it. also, to clean just press one side of the metal and it will pop right out. i use goo gone and a tooth brush to clean it every few days. this should help those trying to conserve herb and make the most of their pax vaporizer.

1greatvape,

BlazednConfused

Fill this whole street with uppercut
here ya go!
npewld.jpg

10shc9y.jpg

jihnr7.jpg

rhpxj8.jpg

2n677s.jpg

Just incase you cant tell, i strive for a very sugary product! u like????
Vaped youre my fucking hero. Once I get my first batch in, me and you are going to funky town like some redneck Michigan boys, I'll bring the cano and whatever else I got by then lol

I haven't even seen shit that frosty before, I might even have to pick up some clones from your Macgyver of Marijuana ass

BlazednConfused,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I told ya I'm a weed snob! And to find shit up to my standards I had to just grow it myself! Turns out I've got a pretty green thumb. Being massively OCD is more of a help than a hindrance in this particular aspect of my life.

Oh hahahaha! I'm pretty medicated, I got a new vape pen today and I've done like 27 dabs in it today so you'll have to excuse my absent mindedness. I'll get some around and post there tomorrow. That's not even my most sugary!

mod note: You forgot to use Edit instead of posting back-to-back! Two posts merged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom