Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I'll tell you what, I would love a vape that I could stick in my pocket and use discreetly at work. I mean I love my MFLB for skiing, hiking, etc., but it smells! If this very cool looking thing does not smell I would buy it and carry it around everywhere. Oh and it would have to actually work good, hehe...

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Damn! another slick looking portable! I already have 2 solos, and the Davinci.
I guess it deserves a shot against my other daily drivers. Thanks for the positive
mojo, KushC, SM, Xchadb. I am pre-ordering, reviews pending......FWIW, this
vape will be more discreet/stealth for me than another device resembling a
medical device....We shall see.

welcome to the guinea pig pile, looking forward to other reviews. I have the Da Vinci and solo so I know how you feel :) 2012 is the year of the portable vape

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I asked the manufacture a few questions. I thought I would post the questions and answers here:

The Pax has a motion sensing shut-off feature that will automatically put it into "sleep mode" when you set it down. Can you please describe how this works more? Can you trigger sleep mode by accident?
The device has an on-board accelerometer. When the device sees no movement for around a minute, is goes into standby mode (lower heat setting, around 150C). Then, it will shut off after another minute or so. A bumpy car ride is enough motion to keep the device awake. Not sure how to trigger the sleep mode by accident. Just not possible. Leave it alone and it powers down, simple as that.

Can the mouthpiece be cleaned in isopropyl alcohol?
Yes, the moutpiece can be entirely submersed. The lid, however is best to clean without totally dunking. Just take a q-tip or similar with isopropyl and wipe it down.

How deep is the oven chamber?
Approximately 10mm (3/8") deep.

The Oven Lid is held on by powerful neodymium magnets. How strong are they? Do you have to worry about the vaporizer coming into contact with sensitive devices?
The magnets are powerful. They will hold the lid in place, even if you try to vigorously shake it loose. But, they are small. They won't mess with your other personal devices.

Does this battery have a memory? What I means is. Do you have to make sure to drain the battery completely before you charge, or is it okay to charge the battery at any power level?
You can continue to charge the device no matter how much power is left in the battery. Full, empty, and everywhere in between.

Also, it isn't possible use the Pax and and charge it at the same time... the mouthpiece end of the device is the same part that docks into the charging station.

donald420

I asked the manufacture a few questions. I thought I would post the questions and answers here:

The Pax has a motion sensing shut-off feature that will automatically put it into "sleep mode" when you set it down. Can you please describe how this works more? Can you trigger sleep mode by accident?
The device has an on-board accelerometer. When the device sees no movement for around a minute, is goes into standby mode (lower heat setting, around 150C). Then, it will shut off after another minute or so. A bumpy car ride is enough motion to keep the device awake. Not sure how to trigger the sleep mode by accident. Just not possible. Leave it alone and it powers down, simple as that.

Can the mouthpiece be cleaned in isopropyl alcohol?
Yes, the moutpiece can be entirely submersed. The lid, however is best to clean without totally dunking. Just take a q-tip or similar with isopropyl and wipe it down.

How deep is the oven chamber?
Approximately 10mm (3/8") deep.

The Oven Lid is held on by powerful neodymium magnets. How strong are they? Do you have to worry about the vaporizer coming into contact with sensitive devices?
The magnets are powerful. They will hold the lid in place, even if you try to vigorously shake it loose. But, they are small. They won't mess with your other personal devices.

Does this battery have a memory? What I means is. Do you have to make sure to drain the battery completely before you charge, or is it okay to charge the battery at any power level?
You can continue to charge the device no matter how much power is left in the battery. Full, empty, and everywhere in between.

Also, it isn't possible use the Pax and and charge it at the same time... the mouthpiece end of the device is the same part that docks into the charging station.

Anyway you can also ask them if you are able to change the batteries if they start loosing charge or start having any other problems ect seeing as they aren't covered by the warranty?
thanks

donald420,
Reactions: Vicki

JDUB619

Amen. My biggest concern with all these new, cool looking vapes coming out now is the airpath and how little is mentioned about it in the marketing materials.

From the manual, it appears to be an all-or-mostly SS vapor path.

At $250, I'm sure this unit has a ton of features, but I agree about the airpath because I want the Vapor to come out easily during each draw.

JDUB619,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Wow, this sure does look sleek! I think this is what I need next, as long as it "produces"!

Tstat,

weedemon

enthusiast
that video helped me out a lot I was so close at pulling the trigger on a solo... enought time has passed, the reviews are in... the solo sounds solid. but now there is this. and also the puffit, but I think the puffit will not get my money becasue I wonder if it's going to be able to deliver the type of hits i need from it.

this one looks more promising (based on a biased review from a vape company) imo! I wanna see some member reviews and see it in action :) so for now i anxiously wait. :)

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
DAYUM! is it just me or does that "bowl" look fucking huge! very interested in this vape. but this mouthpiee limits it for me....no waterpiece?

would be very easy for them to make a removable mouthpiece that you replace that just has a gong end on it, or a just a flange to mount a hose even?

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am getting excited about this product. I was and am still skeptical.... simply because the company has not produced a vaporizer quite like this. At least the Solo came from Arizer who has experience with other vaporizers before this. Ploom has mostly been a company that focuses on Tobacco and electronic cigarette style vaporizers. It is not too far of a stretch that their company could produce a quality device. I am rather hopeful that it will actually be a quality device.

I am really pleased about the size of the chamber. Approximately 10mm (3/8") deep by 1.25 inches (I estimated based on how wide the unit is 1.5 and how much space there is on either side of the oven about .25 totoal) That is a pretty substantial bowl/oven size for a portable vaporizer. That is a BIG BIG BIG plus in my book. I am someone who likes .25 grams to .5 grams per session. If it can hold around that much I will be one happy user. I also like that you are supposed to pack it in tight. Means you can fit more in.

I wish I could get my hands on one sooner rather then later. I would love to be able to produce some content right now so that I could be sharing it here. I have written the company but they said all the units are spoken for. I will just have to wait till the release. I think they would sell more units though if they were to send me one to demonstrate and test. Many users on this site like to see product tested and reviewed before they will pull the trigger and purchase one.

JoeKickass

would be very easy for them to make a removable mouthpiece that you replace that just has a gong end on it, or a just a flange to mount a hose even?

If needed, you could always buy a spare mouthpiece and mod it into an adapter.

Wow, this sure does look sleek! I think this is what I need next, as long as it "produces"!

That's the big question, they're trying to go the Apple route no doubt. Apple can charge an inflated amount for the same product because they have style, and it works because technology advances faster than most people notice.

But vaporizers have only one real function and lots of people already have high expectations for a new vaporizer. So even though this vape has a lot of aesthetic appeal, it still has a long way to go to match what people expect a $250 vape to do...

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
In terms of water pipe use. I have been thinking about that because I am rather particular about wanting to run my vaporizers though water when I am at home. I have devices a couple of plans. The first is to try previous adapters. I am thinking my best option right now might be the ThermoVape Water Pipe Adapter.

PTFE_Glass_Adapter_on_White_Revolution_1.3.jpg

It is a long shot, but the adapter might fit inside the hole that the mouthpiece goes into. I also have a few other options laying around I can try. My other option is to buy a 2nd mouthpiece. I could take it apart and use the stem from that to adapt it to a down stem.

natural farmer

DAYUM! is it just me or does that "bowl" look fucking huge!
The whole unit looks huge in the girl's tiny hands, so does the bowl!!! This could be a big hitting unit. Looking forward to see it in action! :)

I am torn between this, the VaporBlunt and the Thermovape for my next portable (something that looks more like an e-cig for public vaping, used with herbs and close to be as big hitting as my Solo). Can't wait to see reviews coming. It will be an interesting summer. :brow:

natural farmer,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
This looks nice but since this is their first vape and first run...I guess there will be some modifications needed

Looks very slick! I don't like the mouthpiece but the machine itself looks cool, are colors going to be a problem to color blind ? and lol its gonna be hard remembering colors :p

m0sh,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Color blind here. Won't be a prob. Just remember press once or twice or 3 times. I'm not 100% color blind, but you can see the light flash once per press even if you can't tell what color it is.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The Gizmodo vaporizer articles really anger me . There is such little effort put into them. They contain no real new information. They are written by inexperienced poeple, that don't even know what to say about the products. I could go on an extended rant that would be 2 or 3 times longer then what the author wrote. I could produce that article in a 20 minute period. The "Testing Notes" are all things that have been stated already in marketing. I know all those points and I have not even tested the device out. Seriously... the best feature is that it "The fact that it doesn't look like something you use to smoke weed."

What a waste of a review unit... Man I am angry right now! :argh:

JoeKickass

The Gizmodo vaporizer articles piss me off. There is such little effort put into them. They contain no real new information. They are written by inexperienced poeple, that don't even know what to say about the products. I could go on an extended rant that would be 2 or 3 times longer then what the author wrote. I could produce that article in a 20 minute period. The "Testing Notes" are all things that have been stated already in marketing. I know all those points and I have not even tested the device out. Seriously... the best feature is that it "The fact that it doesn't look like something you use to smoke weed."

What a waste of a review unit... Man I am angry right now! :argh:

Gizmodo is the tabloid of the tech review world, no one actually puts any stock in their articles anymore.

Engadget is better but I don't know why nerds make such terrible writers sometimes...
I'm not that bad am I? :D

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Yea, I think it is just that I get angry because I put so much effort in to my work. They have such a wide audience. I would be overjoyed to have the opportunity to write a review that would be read by so many poeple. I would feel like i have more of an obligation to bring information to my readers. I know what you mean about nerds making bad writers. Sometimes articles leave me scratching my head. I know I am not the best writer ever, but I am trying. ;)

Slightly Medicated,

natural farmer

I am impressed that no one has mentioned it yet (I think at least), but is this a conduction or a convection vape??? To me it looks like an Apple designed LB with the drilled metal plate being the heating element... Have I missed something being high so much?

natural farmer,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am impressed that no one has mentioned it yet (I think at least), but is this a conduction or a convection vape??? To me it looks like an Apple designed LB with the drilled metal plate being the heating element... Have I missed something being high so much?

It is a conduction style vaporizer. The info listed on the manufactures website or the VapeWorld.com website not sure which.

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
From the article:

EASTER EGG!!! :clap: Maybe it turns off the sleep function? :hmm:

I was thinking about what it might be. This is my current guess: Party Mode is a mode that makes the LED light on the vaporizer flash between the various colors. I might be wrong. It might be something more substantial.

Slightly Medicated,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom