• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

Had my Pax for about 3 weeks. Great vap mine takes about 2 hours to charge. Reading hear I see charge time should be around an hour have we got a user chart for given burn times in low, med ,high settings ? I think we would have to run party mode any other suggestion...... I love the unit I burn 4 bowls thru out the week then recharge unit.

Bonehead,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Does anyone have this issue?

Pax doesn't recognize that the mouthpiece is attached and when I turn it on, it just glows purple for a second or two, then turns red (or orange, depending on the temp setting). I emailed Ploom, who was very nice and responded right away. The response was that I needed to clean the unit and a couple of pieces in particular.

The cleaning did nothing. I have spent so much time trying to get this to work and cleaning it repeatedly.
I found the best way was to wiggle it so it recognize the mouthpiece but it is always fickity.
This is the common temp light issue, clean it and apply the pax lube to the stem on the mouthpiece, it will correct the problem. Email ploom and they'll mail you a couple packets of the lube within a couple days.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Does anyone have this issue?

Pax doesn't recognize that the mouthpiece is attached and when I turn it on, it just glows purple for a second or two, then turns red (or orange, depending on the temp setting). I emailed Ploom, who was very nice and responded right away. The response was that I needed to clean the unit and a couple of pieces in particular.

The cleaning did nothing. I have spent so much time trying to get this to work and cleaning it repeatedly.
I found the best way was to wiggle it so it recognize the mouthpiece but it is always fickity.

Surprised you got such a generic response from Ploom. They should recognize that your problem is the temp-light issue, which has been a huge issue of discussion here. Start by reading about it and the cleaning method layed out in the Vaporpedia page, linked in my sig. Then email Ploom again and ask them to send you some lubricant for the mouthpiece.

I'm going to add that info to the Vp page.

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
if you look down the tube you can see the "latch" which makes the electrical connection. it's the dark spot at 12 o'clock in the pic. it works just like the strike on a house door. when the mouthpiece is up, the "latch" sets in the bottom groove of the mouthpiece stem and makes the electrical contact between itself and the downstem. if you take a paperclip and make contact between the "latch" and the tube, you can see how this works. when the mp is down, the "latch" engages that little sliding clasp, and locks in. the clasp slides so you can push the mp down that little bit and then it disengages, and the spring pops the mp up. i just make sure to keep the "latch" area and the stainless tubes clean, and i never have a temp problem. i just use dill bristled pipe cleaners and a smidge of iso just to keep the cotton fuzzies from sticking all over. im talking a matter of seconds.i think once you understand how simple the pax really is, and how it works, keeping it running smooth is a piece of cake. cheers....
IMG_20130116_060641_zps3599dc7f.jpg

mod note: Edited to fix image

Johnny Flameo

Man i'm pretty... baked...
Just got back from St. Louis and back to the Pax, before I headed out I wrapped up the last bong design and put it into effect yesterday.

It bubbles nicely, and hits like butter

1222122059.jpg

^ barely pulling

1222122059e.jpg

^ And clearing.

I will put a video up when I can find the time and find a way for FC to accept my Photobucket videos.

From one happy paxer to another, cheers

whoa, could you explain what you did to this? i've been using the bong with a carb, and some velcro to keep the pax in place, and its probably the best experience ive ever achieved with a vape. also where is the pax in this picture? :x

Johnny Flameo,

darkrom

Great Scott!
On vaporperdia "The warrantydoes nottransfer to a secondary buyer."

I guess I don't have a warranty after all.

darkrom,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
:shrug: If it ever breaks I'd give it a shot any way. Whats the worst that could happen? They'll just tell you its not covered. meh. my 2 cents. I've been staring out my window all day like a crazy person waiting for my fucking pax haha. Mailman is like 3 hours late, today of all days. FUCKKKKKKKK! Thanks snow. I've been asking friends to trade strains with me the last few days so that I can have a kick ass session later :D

Mr.Krinkle,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yeah I could always try it. I'm not too worried about it breaking. I'm debating trying a battery upgrade, but to be honest I don't have the need...yet.

darkrom,
Hi all... I've been using my MFLB up until two months ago when I picked up an Onyx Pax at a shop in Manhattan. The MF is good for what it is and I'll probably use it from time to time but it doesn't deliver consistent thick hits and carrying a bunch of bats around is a bit of a drag. I read about half the posts here and thankfully haven't had one single issue with this thing. I love it; the stealthy hits I can get off of it whenever I take it on the go are awesome and the design is super sleek.

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Hi all... I've been using my MFLB up until two months ago when I picked up an Onyx Pax at a shop in Manhattan. The MF is good for what it is and I'll probably use it from time to time but it doesn't deliver consistent thick hits and carrying a bunch of bats around is a bit of a drag. I read about half the posts here and thankfully haven't had one single issue with this thing. I love it; the stealthy hits I can get off of it whenever I take it on the go are awesome and the design is super sleek.

Is your screen slightly raised over the tube hole? I get big clouds on low so I would suggest messing with your screen placement if you dont have any other issues.

Edit: Not paying attention, Im glad you like your Pax :)

Live-N-Learn,
Reactions: Mr.Krinkle

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
GOT MY PAX! YAY! Charged out of the box in under an hour, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that the batteries are good this time haha. Works like a champ, and it is still green on battery life after two long ass packs on high. I am a happy dude. They gave me an extra mouth piece, extra lid, and a huge ass extra cleaning pack that'll last me at least a few months of ocd status cleaning. NO STICKERS NO MAGNETS AND NO SHIRT THOUGH! :lol: Thats it, I'm sending it back. Over all I am satisfied, we will see later weather or not I got a dud if it takes over two hours to charge again :\ If it does, I will charge it at someone elses house and see if that makes a difference hahahah. Wish me luck! So for those new to the thread, I have had to make 2 returns on my Pax in 2 weeks, and Ploom was happy to exchange each time. They even had me tape a number to my pax box the second time around so that it'd be top priority. 2 day shipping both times from coast to coast, Pritty damn good.

Paxman

GOT MY PAX! YAY! Charged out of the box in under an hour, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that the batteries are good this time haha. Works like a champ, and it is still green on battery life after two long ass packs on high. I am a happy dude. They gave me an extra mouth piece, extra lid, and a huge ass extra cleaning pack that'll last me at least a few months of ocd status cleaning. NO STICKERS NO MAGNETS AND NO SHIRT THOUGH! :lol: Thats it, I'm sending it back. Over all I am satisfied, we will see later weather or not I got a dud if it takes over two hours to charge again :\ If it does, I will charge it at someone elses house and see if that makes a difference hahahah. Wish me luck! So for those new to the thread, I have had to make 2 returns on my Pax in 2 weeks, and Ploom was happy to exchange each time. They even had me tape a number to my pax box the second time around so that it'd be top priority. 2 day shipping both times from coast to coast, Pritty damn good.

What was the problem with your previous ones? I'm assuming battery issue? My fairly new pax is having battery issues so I'm afraid I got a bad one. It can't keep a charge for more than one maybe two sessions on low. Also every time I shake it to see the battery life even recently after charging it it shows as red.

Paxman,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
first one the mouth piece locked shut, my fault, I thought I was giving it a thorough cleaning and forgot to put the locking ring back on the stainless steal tube on the mouth piece. Second one was taking twice the normal time to go green on the charger (2 hours) and getting maybe half the normal use. Time it from dead, if it takes much more than 1 hour 20 minutes you should talk to Ploom. Like I said in a previous post, make sure you watch it and write the time down that you started at, or else your results wont be accurate obviously. - side note, had an awkward time at lows tonight, but found some hose that will work great! Any one know anything about vinyl tubing safety wise? (off gassing?)

Mr.Krinkle,

Professor Pickles

Just finished reading this entire thread, 275 pages, what a trip. Thanks to those that have provided advice, tips, comparisons, pics of their PAX inside and out. Special thanks to those that have contributed to the PAX Vaporpedia page. It is so helpful to have a resource where the most of my questions were already answered along with tips on usage.

My PAX is going strong about a month in. I have been able to cut out combustion completely and have been educating my friends while out and about. Hard to argue with the stealth and ease of use of this unit.

I didn't have any temperature light issues until I read about them here :shrug: Since that time I have had success waiting 5-10 second (the PAX will go purple without me doing anything), pushing the mouth piece slightly to the side and of course cleaning. I don't have any lube yet.

I bought the Epicvape (EV-2) shortly after getting the PAX because I was concerned that I my usage was not curbed. After the excitement of the new toy faded and I got a little experience I think the PAX can be quite efficient, it seems to get every last bit out of the material and you can pack small amounts to minimize taste loss. I have the EV-2 at my desk and take the PAX with me around the house, perfect setup :)

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Yea, but I think theres specific grades. I got the clear tubing that most resembled vape tubing from lows. But I dont want to use it if it isnt food grade. I have a food grade rubber adapter that I made from a turkey baster. (I cut the bottom off of the plunger, ended up with a tapering ~2 inch rubber grommet, pics if people really want, though I dont see how thats necessary haha.) Read some grades will let out chemicals at 125 degrees, which it absolutely with out a doubt reaches

Mr.Krinkle,

Looper714

Just finished reading this entire thread, 275 pages, what a trip. Thanks to those that have provided advise, tips, comparisons, pics of their PAX inside and out. Special thanks to those that have contributed to the PAX Vaporpedia page. It is so helpful to have a resource where the most of my questions were already answered along with tips on usage.

My PAX is going strong about a month in. I have been able to cut out combustion completely and have been educating my friends while out and about. Hard to argue with the stealth and ease of use of this unit.

I didn't have any temperature light issues until I read about them here :shrug: Since that time I have had success waiting 5-10 second (the PAX will go purple without me doing anything), pushing the mouth piece slightly to the side and of course cleaning. I don't have any lube yet.

I bought the Epicvape (EV-2) shortly after getting the PAX because I was concerned that I my usage was not curbed. After the excitement of the new toy faded and I got a little experience I think the PAX can be quite efficient, it seems to get every last bit out of the material and you can pack small amounts to minimize taste loss. I have the EV-2 at my desk and take the PAX with me around the house, perfect setup :)

Wow, a lot of love for the Pax! I have been considering buying one, but for $250 I have to pause...the Arizer Solo seems to be a better vape experience to me (and not just because it's cheaper), but here are my concerns with the Pax: made in China is a huge factor, need to use lube, need to clean it frequently (I am anal and clean my devices often, but the Pax seems ridiculous), the mouthpiece issue, charging issues, and other annoying issues I have read on these 275 pages...I would love an honest opinion (not just because you bought one and think you have to report great results) of the quality of the vapor and the cleaning issues, and your overall impressions. Thanks so much!

Looper714,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Wow, a lot of love for the Pax! I have been considering buying one, but for $250 I have to pause...the Arizer Solo seems to be a better vape experience to me (and not just because it's cheaper), but here are my concerns with the Pax: made in China is a huge factor, need to use lube, need to clean it frequently (I am anal and clean my devices often, but the Pax seems ridiculous), the mouthpiece issue, charging issues, and other annoying issues I have read on these 275 pages...I would love an honest opinion (not just because you bought one and think you have to report great results) of the quality of the vapor and the cleaning issues, and your overall impressions. Thanks so much!

I've had my Pax since August and have never used lube. I have the original mouthpiece and have no issues. If you're anal about cleaning anyway, you'll likely not be annoyed by the Pax cleaning requirements, which aren't that bad. And cleaning is easy as pie. I don't own a Solo so I can't compare, but I'm duly impressed with the vapor quality and ease of use. It's a damn fine portable and I'm so happy I bought one.

Edit: that it's made in China doesn't bother me in the slightest.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast

I don't think it's that crazy. I have never used lube. I got my Pax in around end of september I think. It delivers great vapor, and is super reliable. I haven't cleaned my Pax since Monday and I use it all day long (1 - 1.5 grams), and it's still fine. I think I'll have to clean it tomorrow.

I love this thing. I'm thinking about grabbing an E-Nano (log vape) as well. I need a reliable home desktop vape. The Pax is an amazing portable. The battery life is pretty good too. I only run out when I go hard core with my friends, but by that time, we are too messed up to care. The Pax has been my daily driver since the beginning of December.

Professor Pickles

Hey Looper, Welcome to FC. I hope you find this place as informative and overwhelming as I do :cheers:

$250 is a lot to spend, even if you can easily afford it you are right to pause.

I haven't been lucky enough to try a Solo yet but I am sure it is a quality unit. It was on my short list before I decided on the PAX. I decided on the PAX because of the design (stealth form factor, no glass to break, no "stem" piece) and the oven size (better suits my usage). The PAX replaced joints in my cigarette pack. To me it was the better choice for me to confidently leave combustion behind.

To address some of your specific concerns:
* made in China: Way of the world? it was designed in San Francisco. I found it exhausting to buy exclusively american made goods, especially when trying to verify if a manufacturer's "american made" claim was true. Now I just try to do business with companies that share similar values (great service is one) and hope they make the best decisions. Solo is made in Canada I see.
* need to use lube: I haven't used any lube and the reports here are that a drop on the outside of the MP tube works. If I ever hit a wall where the device simply won't stop with the temp light I will try some lube. So far I have not needed any.
* need to clean it ridiculously frequently: If you consider yourself "anal and clean" you should have no issues with the PAX. I am not those things and I have had no issues that a pipe cleaner (dry) and soaking the mouth piece in 99% ISO does not clear right up. I clean mainly to restore taste as a dirty oven and air path can lead to an unpleasant resin taste.
* charging issues: I have not had any charging issues. The charger feels cheap and I wish they had gone with a standard USB type connection but everything works. I have the Cobra car charger ordered now.
* quality of vapor: To me this is an electric joint. I pack about the same amount and work my way through the temperatures (low, medium, high). On low I get great flavor and quality clouds of vapor, lighter than smoke but noticeable. Bumping the temp up to med/high gets the most out of your material and generates some serious clouds but flavor will suffer. Smaller loads minimize that issue. I stir if I feel like it but it doesn't seem to be a requirement. I have used the PAX with up to 4 people during a session and it performed splendidly. We needed to pause a bit between people but after the first round it wasn't an issue :D Party mode was helpful!
* other annoying issues: The oven door will not stay on if you drop the device :cry:

Overall impression: It's annoying if the mouth piece doesn't pop right up or the temp light is looking you in the face but I have never had the PAX be unable to perform when I needed it. If I lost my PAX tonight I would be ordering one tomorrow morning and would pay for overnight shipping. It is an important part of me saying "fuck you" to combustion and all that means to me.

For you it depends on what your needs and motivations are for buying a vaporizer.

Hope the above helps you in some way.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
My pax is my dd and I use it pretty heavily and only clean it once a week, I do use the lube but never had any problems b4 the lube either. It produces great tasting thick vapor. Overall my choice for best overall portable vape (so far)! I am very interested to see what the thermovape cera and the davinci ascent are gonna be like. Both have the potential to take the paxs crown. IMO.

MrNorml

I use the Pax when out and about; when settled or at home I use the Solo. That means that I use the Solo about 98% of the time, through a bubbler. BUT .. the Solo has breakable glass. BUT .. the glass gives a good taste and the Solo easily transports - just not as stealthy. The Solo easily hooks to glasswares. They are both excellent, but if I could only have 1 portable I think I'd chose the Solo, which is tried and true. The Pax ... well, you have read the entire thread so you know the issues and work-arounds. Solo is simple to clean, but the Pax is really also. Solo is more adjustable temp-wise; glass has (to me) a better taste than plastic. Probably doesn't answer your question directly, but it's the best I can do. I do not regret buying the Pax, but find the Solo has more bang for the buck since I use it over the Pax so much, and it fits my needs well with better taste and more adjustability. Just make sure to buy some extra glass stems which are sort of costly, since in my experience you will break a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom