Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Appreciate the advice about the screen. So far, it still looks shiny and new beneath the screen, but I've only cooked about six or seven ovens total so far. I'll start pulling it out and cleaning underneath it.

TheDudeNextDoor,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Thanks for all the advice.

HSIHP, I guess I'm just using to much force. Since it always pops back out.

I'm pretty upset right now.

I just dropped my pax for the first time. Of course it had to fall on concrete and not the grass. I was just closing the mouthpiece and before it closed I slipped off it and the mouthpiece shot off like a bullet causing me to loose my hold on it. It fell on the mouthpiece end first putting 3 gashes around the edges. At the same time the oven lid pops off emptying the contents of the oven everywhere.

There is also 2 gashes on the side edges of the oven

Then I had to laugh when I heard the distinct pinging sound of the screen popping out.

A black sharpie camouflaged the gashes. But I can feel the roughness of the gashes on my once silky smooth Pax.

It still works and I do have a backup just for this kind of mishap.

"Oh the humanity!"

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

JoeKickass

thats weird i got some crackling from my pax, never thought it was the herb inside?? funny cuz it was a 25$ 1/8th also haha

Well it's not actually the herb itself, but poorly cured bud still has some moisture in it which boils out at 212F (Pax heats up to 300-400F)

That's also why in the beginning of a sesh (with moist bud) the vapor feels hot, it's steam in the vapor!

What happens with the hissing and crackling is the steam boils out of the bud and then condenses on the cold metal of the vapor path, once enough water condenses a little drop forms and runs down towards the 400F heater where you hear it flash boil like water on a frying pan.

Once you hit it enough though and get rid of the moisture the crackling stops and the vapor feels smoother too!

HSIHP

That sucks Carlos! I am terrified of the day I drop my Pax which hopefully will never come. *knocks on wood* I have heard of a couple Paxs (Paxi?) taking falls and the innerds still come out fine.
Then I had to laugh when I heard the distinct pinging sound of the screen popping out.

This is too funny. I could only imagine! :lmao:

JoeKickass

Thanks for all the advice.I just dropped my pax for the first time. Of course it had to fall on concrete and not the grass... It fell on the mouthpiece end first putting 3 gashes around the edges. At the same time the oven lid pops off emptying the contents of the oven everywhere. There is also 2 gashes on the side edges of the oven... A black sharpie camouflaged the gashes. But I can feel the roughness of the gashes on my once silky smooth Pax.
The Pax is a slippery little devil, I've seen a beautifully packed overload scattered to the winds too...

But it's also remarkably durable, does it still work normally? You could try filing or sanding the rough spots

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Dammit

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
The pax has treated me well tonight. Jamming to classical music, and watching Big Gigantic videos. Highly recommended to fellow paxers

ILoveCollege,
Reactions: xclarryx

flynn

so the store selling the PAX on Ebay for $444.44 answered my inquiry on why it was so much, and here's what he said:

"I offer a premium 4pc aero space case grinder and a t-shirt. Also keep in mind I need to pay the high eBay and PayPal fees and also make a small profit. So if the price is too high for you please buy from elsewhere."

so a 4pc aero space case and a tshirt are worth a $194.44??? must be a really nice space case :)
That's the promo that vape world offered me when I bought my pax ~1 week ago. A metal aerospaced 4p grinder, and pax t shirt.... lol...

flynn,
Well it's not actually the herb itself, but poorly cured bud still has some moisture in it which boils out at 212F (Pax heats up to 300-400F)

That's also why in the beginning of a sesh (with moist bud) the vapor feels hot, it's steam in the vapor!

What happens with the hissing and crackling is the steam boils out of the bud and then condenses on the cold metal of the vapor path, once enough water condenses a little drop forms and runs down towards the 400F heater where you hear it flash boil like water on a frying pan.

Once you hit it enough though and get rid of the moisture the crackling stops and the vapor feels smoother too!

Excellent info and great explanation, Joe. You just made a light-bulb totally go off in my head. I've not noticed any crackling, but I have had some throat irritation issues brought on by hot vapor. I had feared it was something with the Pax itself, but I am using some herbs that not only haven't been cured yet, but it hasn't fully dried yet either. I am willing to bet that is why I am having some throat irritation.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I'm not a science major, but do you think the screen not fitting exactly right after a cleaning (which also straightens the screen) is because of heat? Doesnt heat expand and contract metal? My hypothesis is maybe once my screen (which sometimes can sway from side to side like a small boat when touched) gets heated up it will then fit perfectly because of the heat. (and also possibly from some resin buildup)

9idb9z.jpg
It's a very cold day in NYC, as people of all ages anxiously await the bus.
Meanwhile, a hot and toasty, yet stealthy Pax waits at the bus stop, ready for action.

Espo

Been 8 days without my Pax, my replacement will be here tomorrow and I CANNOT WAIT! Ah how I miss it so much!

Espo,

MrNorml

After reading a bunch of posts, it seems as if the Pax is very prone to manufacturer problems upon order.

If I were to order one, would there be a big risk in my getting a faulty mouth piece or something?
I don't agree. The Pax comes fine. After deliivery and user interaction is where the problems come in, apparently either from not cleaning properly or getting ISO on the temp button. But these are not manufacturing problems, just user problems.

MrNorml,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I don't agree. The Pax comes fine. After deliivery and user interaction is where the problems come in, apparently either from not cleaning properly or getting ISO on the temp button. But these are not manufacturing problems, just user problems.

This isn't completely accurate, as some of us had to return bad Pax to get working ones, it was not user error, it was a non-functioning Pax that did not turn on properly (blue light issue) but most of the complaints here have been about user corrected issues though. As with any electronic devices, you run the risk of getting a dud, but it should not stop you from wanting to order. If you do happen to get a bad one, you are going to be taken care of by Ploom.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: SoCalShore

MrNorml

This isn't completely accurate, as some of us had to return bad Pax to get working ones, it was not user error, it was a non-functioning Pax that did not turn on properly (blue light issue) but most of the complaints here have been about user corrected issues though. As with any electronic devices, you run the risk of getting a dud, but it should not stop you from wanting to order. If you do happen to get a bad one, you are going to be taken care of by Ploom.
True, that... Thanks for reminding me that some hae not worked properly out of the gate... Other than ordering from them I haven't had to deal with Ploom but apparently they are good to work with.

MrNorml,

Espo

I agree. My Pax was perfect for 14 weeks and then I got some ISO on my temp button while trying to clean the spring area. Not a manufacturing problem, but a user problem. Just keep the Pax clean and be careful with your cleaning process and you will love the Pax.

Also, the 10 year warranty is a nice piece of mind and is very easy to have a problem fixed and a new unit shipped out.

Espo,

MrNorml

I totally agree. My Pax was perfect for 14 weeks and then I got some ISO on my temp button while trying to clean the spring area. Not a manufacturing problem, but a user problem. Just keep the Pax clean and be careful with your cleaning process and you will love the Pax.

Also, the 10 year warranty is a nice piece of mind and is very easy to have a problem fixed and a new unit shipped out.

Well as for the warranty, I agree - 10 years is longer than the DeLorean gave... It's only good if the company succeeds is what I'm getting at.

SoCalShore

I came back from Wine Country and thanks to Live n Learn ( sorry if I mis-wrote that ) I decided to put Pax in my jeans pocket while out and about, kept it body temp, and it worked perfectly. I also think that keeping it in my pocket it didn't have to take much to heat it up. The temp light issue I was having I haven't had since.

You treat your Pax well and in return it will medicate you just the way it should. I still clean every other day if not everyday and I have no complaints.

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Well as for the warranty, I agree - 10 years is longer than the DeLorean gave... It's only good if the company succeeds is what I'm getting at.

also... what happens if a company stays in business but revamps their product line completely and sells off old inventory to the point they don't have it anymore. what will a warranty do for that person?? i am seriously asking cause there is another company that is popular here at FC and from what i read (and i may have read wrong) they sold off most of, if not all their old line of products and are now releasing a new line (that is still in pre-order). if a user has already purchased their older products and is still under warranty and the company no longer has stock to replace the product... what do you think will happen??

10 years is a LONG time especially in the technology business. if i bought a PAX today and it broke in 7 years, even if Ploom is still in business, i bet the PAX will have been phased out by then

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I came back from Wine Country and thanks to Live n Learn ( sorry if I mis-wrote that ) I decided to put Pax in my jeans pocket while out and about, kept it body temp, and it worked perfectly. I also think that keeping it in my pocket it didn't have to take much to heat it up. The temp light issue I was having I haven't had since.

You treat your Pax well and in return it will medicate you just the way it should. I still clean every other day if not everyday and I have no complaints.

Nice. I'm all about the outdoor use of the Pax, I would love to see more live pictures of Pax around the world. (Theme: Where is Pax today?)

Also, I noticed that if I tend to neglect my Pax it ends up being a spoiled brat and doesnt listen to me when Im telling it what to do. But if I pay attention to it and keep Pax on my mind, then it works very well. :)

also... what happens if a company stays in business but revamps their product line completely and sells off old inventory to the point they don't have it anymore. what will a warranty do for that person?? i am seriously asking cause there is another company that is popular here at FC and from what i read (and i may have read wrong) they sold off most of, if not all their old line of products and are now releasing a new line (that is still in pre-order). if a user has already purchased their older products and is still under warranty and the company no longer has stock to replace the product... what do you think will happen??

10 years is a LONG time especially in the technology business. if i bought a PAX today and it broke in 7 years, even if Ploom is still in business, i bet the PAX will have been phased out by then

LOL, what you say makes complete sense but the example is what was funny to me.

IF your Pax broke in 7 years and you wanted a replacement you would have to be:

A. Your real broke (and plan to be in 7 years)
B. Your real cheap
C. There would be another portable vape that believe it or not, will be stealthier and have a better battery etc.

I personally believe they will just offer you the newest model as an upgrade, something like phone companies do.

EDIT: I dont think c is an option, more of just a truth lol

Live-N-Learn,
Reactions: SoCalShore

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Don't forget the pax, from what we were told, was made for tobacco. I would be these issues that arise from the way you use the pax wouldn't happen with tobacco. So unless ploom makes it for herb it will always have some issues.

Dreamerr,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
currently stalking that fed-ex dude right now, hoping my pax would come right before i have to go to work, how nice would that be? amazing to see how fast this thread moves, of just mostly satisfied people, glad to see everyone loves pax :)

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
currently stalking that fed-ex dude right now, hoping my pax would come right before i have to go to work, how nice would that be? amazing to see how fast this thread moves, of just mostly satisfied people, glad to see everyone loves pax :)

Colorado I see, I know your going to work happy. lol
The Pax is awesome. My only advice is make sure you have a time of day you know you can clean it.
I clean mine every Sunday before Football Sunday starts. (I wake up early Sunday so there's no excuse)

max

Out to lunch
Dreamerr said:
Don't forget the pax, from what we were told, was made for tobacco.
That's what a lot of 'em say, for legal purposes. If it was designed for tobacco only, it wouldn't need the higher range necessary for vaping cannabis, and they could just limit the high end temp. That would rule out all buyers looking to vape other herbs, including mj, and no vape maker is gonna do that. It's too simple to supply the whole vaping range, up to and even including combustion, for some models. Whatever issues this or any other model has, it's not because it's designed for a specific plant material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom