• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
The Solo packs 4400 mAh with its two Li-Ion 18650 3.7v 2200 mAh batteries

you can either add the voltage or add the current, but not both. 3.7v is too low a voltage to power a vaporizer (for herb), so the solo puts the two cells in series = 7.4v @ 2200 mAh. 6.6v @ 3300 mAh only lasts about 70 minutes, ime.

max

Out to lunch
pakalolo said:
I'd consider it at the $150 price point, but not at $249.
I think some companies are trying to capitalize on the 'you get what you pay for' mentality. The floodgates on rebranded, slightly modified e-cigs are just beginning to open, and IMO the attitude needs to be 'buyer beware'.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Yea I think at some point in time people figured out that $250 is about the max that people will comfortably spend. I have not tried it but I will admit it seems more like it should cost around $150. If it preforms really well then it will be worth it. Since I have no previous experience with the company thought I can't even imagine how well it will preform.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yea I think at some point in time people figured out that $250 is about the max that people will comfortably spend. I have not tried it but I will admit it seems more like it should cost around $150. If it preforms really well then it will be worth it. Since I have no previous experience with the company thought I can't even imagine how well it will preform.

I should clarify that I am not judging how much it should cost based on its construction, materials, whatever. I'm just stating the price point that would pique my interest.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I agree I think at $150 I would not hesitate to try it. I am interested to see how this device turns out. I contacted them to see if I could get some more information. I think I agree with max. We are right on the cusp of an explosion in the market. With all the devices coming out it makes since for the customer to be picky. We now have so many product choices that we can do our research and pick the one that suits our needs the best. I think it will get better from here as the technology and social acceptance continue to grow.

I do like the way this device looks. I have some issues with the bottom cap. I need to see how it is secured. As it stands now I worry about how secure it is. From what I can tell, It looks like it is held on by some magnets on the sides of the cap in the center. You push one end down, and then you can grab the other end and pull it off the magnets. I wonder how secure it is, and how hard it is to take off. I want to see if it can be knocked loose in your pocket. I could imagine my keys pivoting the cap like in the video. I don't want plant material to spill all over my pocket.

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I decided I would pre-order one of these vaporizers. I wanted to be able to review it for the site. I assume with the sleek looks this vaporizer will be a popular choice. If it preforms as nicely as, it looks it might be a good product. I figured I would bite the bullet. I have no idea what to expect in terms of preformance. Expect lots of videos and pictures once I get my hands on one of these.

I am debating between the black and the purple. I like the looks of the purple. I think it looks really nice. The black is probably more stealth though. Any suggestions? Decisions... Decisions...

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I usually go with black as my choice in color. I find black vaporizers fit in better with the electronics I carry around. I have a thing for that exact shade of purple... :uhh: I was tempted.

I just placed an order for the black unit. I decided since it is for review, I would go with the most popular color choice. Also if I decided to sell it. I think black will sell easier/quicker then purple.

I look forward to getting the unit. I love putting new devices through their paces. :science:

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I just placed an order for the black unit. I decided since it is for review, I would go with the most popular color choice. Also if I decided to sell it. I think black will sell easier/quicker then purple.

I look forward to getting the unit. I love putting new devices through their paces. :science:

I'm excited I'm not the only one who preordered! I'm also getting the black :)

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
So I was reading the description on VapeWorld.com:

The Pax has a motion sensing shut-off feature that will automatically put it into "sleep mode" when you set it down.

This was not mentioned in the .pdf brochure, I linked in the previous post. I could not find any information about this feature on the manufactures site. I wish they would tell us more about this particular feature. I wonder how sensitive it will be? I would hate to have it turning off because I coughed to hard ;) I wonder what motion it senses in order to prompt it to turn off.

I also looked at the device more. The chamber looks shallow but wide. That could be good for evenly roasting your plant material. I also like the looks of their screens. They look like nice pieces of machined metal.
screen.png

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Im all over this - looks really cool. Looking forward to some veteran reviews.

mvapes,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I saw that review. Considering that they sell it, I would not put to much stock in that review. I wished it had some videos with usage. I imagine we will have to wait for members here to get their hands on the device.

weedemon

enthusiast
this thing looks kick ass! the screen looks like a precision piece of metal that has been cnc cut or something.

kudos to both of you for pre-ordering and potentially taking one for the FC team! the sooner i read a member review I will feel a lot better about it!

My thermovape is a nickel plated metal air path and I have to say it's damned tasty. :p so I think I would feel ok about a stainless steel one also.

this thing looks very promising!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
this thing looks kick ass! the screen looks like a precision piece of metal that has been cnc cut or something.

kudos to both of you for pre-ordering and potentially taking one for the FC team! the sooner i read a member review I will feel a lot better about it!

My thermovape is a nickel plated metal air path and I have to say it's damned tasty. :p so I think I would feel ok about a stainless steel one also.

this thing looks very promising!

I agree I think the screen looks really great. I think it looks quite durable from the photos.

I will be posting my impressions and some video demonstrations as I use the device.

I agree about the ThermoVape... I feel like this is a combination of a ThermoVape and a VaporBlunt.

Slightly Medicated,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
reading from the Facebook page, and quoting from ploom,
"We'd like to share a customer question that has come up:
How is the Pax oven lid secured?
The Pax oven lid is secured with 2 neodymium magnets, the strongest type of permanent magnet made, used in the many applications in modern products that require strong permanent magnets, such as motors in cordless tools and hard disk drives. This ensures that the oven lid is secure and won't be knocked loose in your pocket or bag."

Sounds promising I initially was worried about having loose herbs fall out in my pocket. Now I wonder how strong these magnets would be next to a computer or cell phone. :uhoh:

kushcabbage,

weedemon

enthusiast
That was another concern of mine actually. the magnets. I am a geek, I have have hdd's laying around all the time on my desk around my vaping station :p I have 3 in a drawer beside em right now :p and 6 more on the other side my by feet in my pc atm :p I am careful about magnets too.

i wonder how easy it will be to clean? Can the mouth piece be put in iso/ethanol to clean it?

I hope the screen will be strong, it doesn't look like it comes out to me. As long as you are aware and not being rough on it when stirring I bet it will be ok :)

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The screen does dome out. You can buy replacements on the website. It also mentions something about removing it to clean. You can get three replacement screens for $10. They also sell replacement lids and mouthpieces for $20. The directions say the mouthpiece can be cleaned with soap and water. The body and Stainless Steel vapor tube can be cleaned with ISO, I would also imagine you could clean the mouthpiece with ISO.

I use allot of solid state devices. So I worry abut magnets less. I don't think these will interfere with my electronics. I worry about something in my pocket poking or pressing down on the lid and pivoting it open. I imagine the lid could come loose that way. Normally I jeep my cell phone in one shirt pocket, and my vaporizers in another. So I guess it will not be too big of an issue.

Slightly Medicated,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
good point on the lid pivoting open in your pocket if you had keys or such. We will have to experiment on the resistance of the lid against movement

kushcabbage,

weedemon

enthusiast
that review from the vapeworld people makes me sure want to own one :)

Once the unit is heated and the heat resistant mouthpiece is placed back on the unit, begin by taking a long, slow draw. I enjoy my vapor thick and flavorful, so rapid wispy draws simply won’t cut it. One of the reasons I like Pax so much is the quality and density of the vapor it produces. Users can manipulate the thickness of the vapor by drawing at different speeds. Heat up time on this unit is very quick compared to most other battery powered vaporizers. From setting the temperature to complete heat up is approximately 30 – 40 seconds.

and has been lasting the guy over a week on one charge? I gotta ask how often he using this thing? is it his daily driver? whats his usage level like? :D

oh and btw, stu, you piracy comment was hilarious! I lol'd

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
They say the battery lasts an hour of continuous use. Well knowing marketing and stuff... that was probably at the lowest setting. Who knows maybe it lasts an hour on the highest setting. Time will tell.

For the reviewers usage: Assuming they were using it daily. The could have done six 10 minute sessions, or twelve 5 minute sessions. He could have done two 5 min sessions over 6 days. Also he could have done a daily 10 minute session for 6 days. There could be some variation in there. Just an estimate.

Personally, I can go through 60 minutes of use in a single day out on the town. I could easily go through four 15 minute sessions in a day out and about. I have been able to run my DaVinci down to one bar several times with regular use during a 8 hours away from home. The DaVinci claims to get 45 minutes of continuous use per charge.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

mephisto

Damn! another slick looking portable! I already have 2 solos, and the Davinci.
I guess it deserves a shot against my other daily drivers. Thanks for the positive
mojo, KushC, SM, Xchadb. I am pre-ordering, reviews pending......FWIW, this
vape will be more discreet/stealth for me than another device resembling a
medical device....We shall see.

Looks pretty interesting, and it may be quality.

The temp range of 370, 390, or 410F leaves alot to be desired in my book, though. That's both not low enough and not high enough for what I occasionally use my vapes for. But the two hour battery life that Vapeworld is claiming is pretty attractive.

One thing I think I might like alot is the bowl, which seems quite large compared to a Davinci or Solo load, maybe equal or exceeding a MFLB load. And if it really has a scant 30 second heat up like the literature is claiming, then an auto shutoff might be not entirely unwelcome.

charliedontsurf,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom