Discontinued Pax 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justpassedu

I haven't been putting a screen over the load. That might make a huge difference. I grind with a Space Case & finish off with the MFLB grinder. Is that overkill? What do you use to pack the herbs tightly?

Thanks for the tip about contacting Pax. I do have the serial number, so that's a great idea. If I've got a knock off, I'll be returning it.
A screen over the load shouldn't make a huge difference so I wouldn't worry about that. The screen trick is really for small personal sessions. As for your grinding and packing technique I also have mflb fg and using that really grinds your material fine wich will cause a shorter session and your material to go quick. Try a medium grind and packing pretty tightly but not super tight so you get no airflow . Start your session on a lower temp and work your way up in temp after a few hits. Also vapor production plays a role in what type of material you are using aswell so your results can always be different from other members results bc of this. Grind your material with a medium grind and leave it out over night to dry a little bit. These vapes like dry herb and don't puff to hard , try steady hits like you are sipping on some tea . Best of luck , oh and I use my pinky finger to pack in the pax2 , pax also recommends using the cap on the back end of the heater to pack, if it's the Alfa I'll use something with a point like a tooth pick , packing tool or the end of the cap of bic pen the pointy part .

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I must be doing something really wrong. I am only getting three, maybe four, draws before my herbs turn brown. I suspect I have unknowingly set the temperature on high by thinking I was turning the unit on or off. Or maybe I'm pulling too hard? I seem to be easily confused by button-bearing vapes. I can't remember what click does what. Must be my age! :myday:It seems like each device requires a different way of pulling on it.

Anyway, I'm going through a lot of herbs! I am filling the bowl about 1/2-3/4 full, but the herbs aren't lasting long before they burn. I had the same problem with my Alfa, so I'm thinking I need a remedial tutorial! Other forum members have worked with me on the Alfa, and they concluded by my description & photos that the Alfa might be a knock-off since I got it on ebay. The ebay person told me to keep the Alfa, and I would be receiving a "brand new" Pax2 in exchange. I don't know if I'm, being scammed or not. Maybe I should go back to my glass pipe! :brow:

It does sound like you've set the temperature on maximum. After you turn it on, hold the button down for a second until the lights change. Each lit petal represents one step higher for the temperature. Each click changes the temperature, so click until you have only one petal lit (yellow) then hold the button down for a second or two until it goes back to heating up (purple, or green if it's already warmed up).

narrowsparrow

Thanks, Justpassedu & pakalolo. Useful tips. Glad to know the screen isn't that big of a deal because finding one that shape would be tricky. And I will happily be satisfied with just using the Space Case as my primary grinder. One less step... I may, indeed, be drawing too hard on it, so I can definitely back off... The mystery of the temperature setting is still baffling because I can hardly even feel the vapor in my mouth/throat at all. If I had accidentally set it on too high, wouldn't I notice the extra heat? I hope I can figure out the petals!

And, this is embarrassing, but I have just been drawing right off of the Pax, not using any mouthpiece at all. I can't understand the mouthpiece that looks just like a cover. How could the vapor get through that? I will try the regular-looking mouthpiece next time to see if that will slow down the burn.

Thank you guys again for helping out a total novice! :)

narrowsparrow,

Justpassedu

Thanks, Justpassedu & pakalolo. Useful tips. Glad to know the screen isn't that big of a deal because finding one that shape would be tricky. And I will happily be satisfied with just using the Space Case as my primary grinder. One less step... I may, indeed, be drawing too hard on it, so I can definitely back off... The mystery of the temperature setting is still baffling because I can hardly even feel the vapor in my mouth/throat at all. If I had accidentally set it on too high, wouldn't I notice the extra heat? I hope I can figure out the petals!

And, this is embarrassing, but I have just been drawing right off of the Pax, not using any mouthpiece at all. I can't understand the mouthpiece that looks just like a cover. How could the vapor get through that? I will try the regular-looking mouthpiece next time to see if that will slow down the burn.

Yw , I strictly use them flat mp , I really like it so much I actually have not even tried the other. Also I dont feel a huge difference bumping up the temp but it is def noticeable going from let's say petal 1 to 4 for me and vapor starts coming out big time at 3 for me and light at 2. It's easy to change the temp , the basics are hold button for 2 seconds and than tap once to go up in temp , when I'm done I just shake my pax to get out of that mode. I also shake it to check it battery life. That is kinda weird your hitting the pax like that. The flat mp works nice , I just sip on it and get nice vapor. You have to practice a bit and put one lip on top of it and one on bottom. You don't want to draw to hard as it possibly could overwhelm the heater and lose some temp.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X

I guess the screen over the load isn't a necessity if your using full packed bowls, but I personally do notice a difference with half packed bowls (which you said you do iirc) just take a circular pipe screen and use the oven lid to push it into the oven to shape it.
When you half pack, place the screen over the load and you will notice a difference.

There is a slit on the side of the flat mouthpiece when it's placed on the unit, that's where you hit it from. Put your top lip over the slit and your bottom lip on the side of the unit and hit it from the corner, also pull with your throat (if that makes sense)

narrowsparrow

Thanks, WadeAndVape. Good to know that I don't have to find special rectangular screens for the half-packed bowl. I will try that. I did pack an almost-full bowl last night, and I used the two-holer mouthpiece, only because I didn't know how to use the flat one until now. I still managed to burn my bottom lip, so I obviously need to work on the petal-power problem. I'll practice that today. Still, I got only five, maybe six, good hits off of the Pax. I was sharing it, so I'm not exactly sure.

Here's a lame-brained question that I think I've already answered for myself: Do you put the herbs in while the unit is heating or after it's heated? Having done the latter and ending up with burned material pretty fast, I am assuming I should load before I turn it on, right?

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Thanks, WadeAndVape. Good to know that I don't have to find special rectangular screens for the half-packed bowl. I will try that. I did pack an almost-full bowl last night, and I used the two-holer mouthpiece, only because I didn't know how to use the flat one until now. I still managed to burn my bottom lip, so I obviously need to work on the petal-power problem. I'll practice that today. Still, I got only five, maybe six, good hits off of the Pax. I was sharing it, so I'm not exactly sure.

Here's a lame-brained question that I think I've already answered for myself: Do you put the herbs in while the unit is heating or after it's heated? Having done the latter and ending up with burned material pretty fast, I am assuming I should load before I turn it on, right?
Yes load it first then turn it on, you may have burned your lips if you were drawing too fast and had it close to the sensitive parts of your lips. I usually put my lips on it as if I'm covering my teeth, as it makes my lips less sensitive to the heat.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Ah! Great idea, Vapetrees. I will definitely try that method. I had my lips directly on the metal. Duh. :rolleyes:
What makes your lips burn is the air rushing out of the two holes on the mouthpiece, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it sooner than later. Also, the Pax does better with dry herb so make sure your herb is well cited as it works better that way.

Vapetrees,

narrowsparrow

Right. The last batch of herbs I got is already pretty dry -- not that I wanted to buy it that way! But grinding it with the Space Case was a lot easier than the fresh herbs I was expecting to get. Also, using the medium grind was helpful, too. I think I got more hits that way. Am looking forward to trying it without getting another burned lip!

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Right. The last batch of herbs I got is already pretty dry -- not that I wanted to buy it that way! But grinding it with the Space Case was a lot easier than the fresh herbs I was expecting to get. Also, using the medium grind was helpful, too. I think I got more hits that way. Am looking forward to trying it without getting another burned lip!
Sounds good, I like grinding it when it's dry, and not moist, because it's easier to do and it doesn't stick to the grinders teeth. I hope you don't ever burn your lips again, after you get passed that phase you'll love the Pax.

Vapetrees,
Only 4 days until I get my Pax 2. Was hoping it would take a few more days to burn through these ~75 pages, but I got through them in only a few days.

Reading about these very convincing fake units has me a bit worried, my local shop is an authorized shop so I would hope to be able to trust them. Going to check it very closely before I hand over my cash. It has been hard enough waiting two weeks until payday, I would order from Pax if I had to but I want it in my hands asap. I stopped combusting about 2 months ago, so I have taken one of the longest breaks since I started smoking ~8 years ago.

Did anyone from Pax Labs ever speak in this thread about the thermal plastic used on the oven lid? That is the only thing that caused any concern for me about the Pax 2. So excited to start vaping. My previous experience with a vape was a crappy tabletop unit in 07, it didn't seem to do anything for me at all.

I had decided on a Pax 1, but after reading the Pax thread and concerns about the mouth piece I decided to just cough up the extra $80 and buy the superior machine.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X

Putting the herb in when hot DOES seem to throw off vapor production...i've done it a few times.
The OG mouthpiece (the one that sticks up) does get hella hot! Pages upon pages back another member suggested putting a bb into the hole that goes over the opening to divert the vapor, it does make the mouthpiece usable without getting hot!

I took it a step further and used a nail clipper to remove the lips that protrude from the tunes on the underside and it improves airflow too

Looks ugly, but it's on the underside of the mouthpiece

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: microduck

narrowsparrow

Not a bad idea, WakeAndVape. Nail clippers, huh? Very inventive.

You should see the sores inside my bottom lip! I'm gonna have to come up with something to explain that...

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Not a bad idea, WakeAndVape. Nail clippers, huh? Very inventive.

You should see the sores inside my bottom lip! I'm gonna have to come up with something to explain that...
I suppose the 'ol 'making out with strippers' story won't get you out of this one?

WakeAndVape,

Donny531

Hey guys.
So ive had my pax 2 for a few months now and it has worked great up untill this morning. After leaving the unit on the charger last night the unit wont turn on this morning. When i try to turn it on the unit blinks green 4 to 5 times then shuts off. Had anyone else had this issue or heard of this happening?
Im not sure what is going on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Donny531,

Justpassedu

Hey guys.
So ive had my pax 2 for a few months now and it has worked great up untill this morning. After leaving the unit on the charger last night the unit wont turn on this morning. When i try to turn it on the unit blinks green 4 to 5 times then shuts off. Had anyone else had this issue or heard of this happening?
Im not sure what is going on.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Donny531 never heard of the problem or had it but these carry a 10yr warranty so your best bet would be to contact Pax and use the warranty.

Donny531

Thanks for the reply Justpassedu. I have sent in a support ticket to Pax and i am awaiting a reply from them. I have searched on the web and havent has much luck finding what the issue is. Once i hear from them i will post here with their response in case anyone else is having the same issue with thier pax 2.

I must say that i am bummed as this is my only vaporizer and i havent had to combust my herb in a few months. Guess I better get a back up vape now!

Justpassedu

Thanks for the reply Justpassedu. I have sent in a support ticket to Pax and i am awaiting a reply from them. I have searched on the web and havent has much luck finding what the issue is. Once i hear from them i will post here with their response in case anyone else is having the same issue with thier pax 2.

I must say that i am bummed as this is my only vaporizer and i havent had to combust my herb in a few months. Guess I better get a back up vape now!

Please do post your results and ty , may i suggest a nice back up. Check out the Arizer Air thread , i really like mine and it is a good vape to compliment the pax , esp for me as i can do a smaller session easier in my air and big in my pax , plus i believe one is convection and 1 is conduction so you got two different styles , plus the air has a user replaceable battery. Best of luck .

Mr. Me2

Let's all weigh in on how to spend your $$$. I vote for the Crafty (and get in line for a grasshopper too).

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: Donny531

Justpassedu

Let's all weigh in on how to spend your $$$. I vote for the Crafty (and get in line for a grasshopper too).
Grasshopper he prob wouldn't receive until next year if he ordered now lol. I'm still waiting on mine. Crafty is nice but to big imo for a portable. Just recommended the air bc its inexpensive and solid & has a user replaceable battery. i have a bunch of portables and i always find myself using my air at some point.

Justpassedu,

Mr. Me2

Grasshopper he prob wouldn't receive until next year if he ordered now lol. I'm still waiting on mine. Crafty is nice but to big imo for a portable. Just recommended the air bc its inexpensive and solid & has a user replaceable battery. i have a bunch of portables and i always find myself using my air at some point.
I've never tried the air but lots of people seem to like that one. I find the Crafty a nice compliment to the pax 2. It's my go-to, now. Others may recommend a butane powered vape but I don't have experience with those. And I think I'm in line right behind you for the gh!

Mr. Me2,

narrowsparrow

I must be the only person on the planet that isn't all that thrilled with the Arizer Air. I spend most of the time I'm using it waiting for the temp light to change. Have never been happy with battery-operated vapes.
When I try to use batteries with MFLB, they don't give me much time before they run down. The Arizer is always having to be charged, then seems to take forever to be ready to use. I guess I'm too impatient.

End of off-topic rant.

narrowsparrow,

Mr. Me2

I must be the only person on the planet that isn't all that thrilled with the Arizer Air. I spend most of the time I'm using it waiting for the temp light to change. Have never been happy with battery-operated vapes.
When I try to use batteries with MFLB, they don't give me much time before they run down. The Arizer is always having to be charged, then seems to take forever to be ready to use. I guess I'm too impatient.

End of off-topic rant.
But you MUST be ok with the pax 2 battery life... Yes?

Mr.tuffyino-h-i-o

I've never had one issue with my Arizer Air. 6 session (10min each session) ...+ replaceable battery. Easy cleaning
Best bang for your bucks vape.

Just grabbed a Pax 2 off a FC member. Also owned a Pax for a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom