Discontinued Pax 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concert Amp

You know what would be sweet?

A flat mouthpiece or oven lid with a 3.5mm headphone jack. So you could not just wrap earbuds around it, but actually put it in.

It would have to produce a tight seal. Or not actually be an opening, just a sealed fitted cone.

Well...thinking about this some more, the mouth is probably not deep enough.

Last edited:
Concert Amp,

maremaresing

Concert Amp- that's pretty genius. The plug doesn't even have to be flush. It could extend up enough to accommodate the headphone plug. This would also further disguise the form of the p2. Of course there are two problems with this:
1) smell would still get out the bottom unless you had a cover for that too.
2)The pax2 would be "stealthy" if everyone and their brother didn't know what a pax looked like and what it was for. The popularity backfires here. Don't think for a second that your pax is stealthy as long as a normal person can see it. The first pax has been in all sorts of media, is in lots of stores, and just is popular visually because it looks so cool. The four petal led logo shining a beacon doesn't help this, either (though the "stealth" feature for the led helps). It is barely more stealthy than an unlit joint.

Maybe you can say that the people that can recognize the pax/pax2 are also not going to care what it's for, but that's all that you can say. It doesn't look like an apple device or an mp3 player anymore. It looks like paraphernalia.

I just get worried sometimes that some of you will get caught because you misjudge this.

maremaresing,

JamesTiberiousKirk

For using the Pax 2 the most basic thing to know is how to adjust the heat settings, and how to start it heating. If I had prepared it for use, the only instruction I would give to person I passed it to would be: suck slowly.

JamesTiberiousKirk,
Reactions: Kalessin

HerbieVonVapster

For using the Pax 2 the most basic thing to know is how to adjust the heat settings, and how to start it heating. If I had prepared it for use, the only instruction I would give to person I passed it to would be: suck slowly.

I read somewhere the ideal Pax2 draw was 10 seconds. So great advise for a first time user.

HerbieVonVapster,

Michel

@Ojan_at_PAX , I'm located in Germany but I could buy a pax 2 in the US and ship it oversea to Europe.
Could I still warranty my pax 2 in Europe after you guys are finally starting your business here or is the serial only valid on the US/ Canadian market? Thx

Michel,
Reactions: VegNVape

Lahey

Cruisin'
Loving my Pax 2 so much!

I mainly charge it using my computer's USB ports which seems to work just fine.

However, when I use the walwart adapter that came with my iPhone 5s, it works for a little while and then stops charging -- I return to find none of the petals highlighted, and the unit not much more charged than it was when I left it.

For reference the model number of the adapter part is A1265.

I actually tried 2 different adapters on 3 different outlets in my house and had the same issue, so I am assuming the problem is related to the adapter specs. or the power in my antiquated house.

FWIW, I use the same walwarts to charge my iPhone all around the house and it doesn't have the same issue.

Not a huge issue since I mainly charge it without the walwart, but was testing it since I hope to have a backup solution when I am on the road.

Hoping some of the more engineering savvy ppl can chime in.

Edit: Realizing now after re-reading this that the obvious next step is to try it somewhere other than my house in order to eliminate my outlets as the cause of the issue. Will update later.

Last edited:
Lahey,
Reactions: Michel

willieR

Been here since 2009
e

The smell during the session is not the issue here. The issue is that both before and after the session the unit has an odor to it. I kept mine relatively clean but the mouthpiece and the oven had a strong odor to it. Ultimately rendering it useless to me. My portable unit must be "portable" in all aspects.

So you want a unit that burns weed but never smells like weed.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The Pax 2 can have fairly strong odours associated with it, both during and after use. It depends on what you've put in it. I've found some strains are much stronger smelling than others, which is what you'd expect.

A few days ago I had just finished hitting my Pax 2 when the car I was a passenger in was pulled over on a routine traffic stop. I was worried that there might be a lingering odour because I was using a strong-smelling strain. We had a long and cordial conversation with the cop, who was leaning down close to the driver's window most of the time, but he showed no sign of picking up on the odour. He was typically Canadian, apologizing at least four or five times for giving the driver a ticket.

After it was over I was thinking to myself that the Pax 2 didn't smell as much as I thought it might. Them my driver got out of the car for a few minutes to run an errand, and the comment upon returning was, "Wow, you must have had a few nice hits while I was gone. This car reeks!" I hadn't hit the Pax 2 since before the traffic stop. I checked this myself, and the car did reek. So did the Pax 2 in my pocket. I'm pretty sure that cop cut us a break.

Michel

The Pax 2 can have fairly strong odours associated with it, both during and after use. It depends on what you've put in it. I've found some strains are much stronger smelling than others, which is what you'd expect.

A few days ago I had just finished hitting my Pax 2 when the car I was a passenger in was pulled over on a routine traffic stop. I was worried that there might be a lingering odour because I was using a strong-smelling strain. We had a long and cordial conversation with the cop, who was leaning down close to the driver's window most of the time, but he showed no sign of picking up on the odour. He was typically Canadian, apologizing at least four or five times for giving the driver a ticket.

After it was over I was thinking to myself that the Pax 2 didn't smell as much as I thought it might. Them my driver got out of the car for a few minutes to run an errand, and the comment upon returning was, "Wow, you must have had a few nice hits while I was gone. This car reeks!" I hadn't hit the Pax 2 since before the traffic stop. I checked this myself, and the car did reek. So did the Pax 2 in my pocket. I'm pretty sure that cop cut us a break.

I could tell you a very similar story with the S&B portables, just without traffic stop or police control, luckily. My car has a heavy smell when I had one of my units (apart mflb and solo) with me.
I'm really into the smell- and water-proof, sleek cases I saw here on the thread. Everybody with a Pax 2 should get one, imo!

@fatbiker , a little off-topic: I don't know where you live and if it's available for you, but did you ever thought of water-cured weed? You could even boil the terpenes out by yourself in a hot water bath. Nearly no smell is left, but sadly the taste will go away, too.

maremaresing

Wanting your device to not smell is not reasonable. It's going to smell of what you put in it, even if YOU can't smell that. I can't think of a single device that can be fully cleaned in a reasonable manner to eradicate all smell, and then you have to think about the fact that your portable device is going to have to have something to put in it. Sure, you can go through a lot of work to de-smell your flower, or thoroughly clean things every time, but realistically just get a case.

There are a wide range of sealed cases that will retain the portability of the device and also cost under 20 dollars. A mason jar would work in a pinch.

To keep from going off topic so far, lets bring it back to the Pax2. This device has the great benefit in design to having a tube like shape, with the ends being the weak link in smell. Someone in the last page posted up caps, which you might also find at your hardware store, that you can slip over the ends. This would not only mostly seal the device, but maintain the ultra compact form factor. Best of both worlds! I'm not clear on whether or not the smell could leak out the led petal holes, or the charging port on the back.

I wouldn't fly with the device sealed in this manner (I wouldn't fly with a vape period) but for day to day it should protect you from what you are worried about.

Michel

I can't think of a single device that can be fully cleaned in a reasonable manner to eradicate all smell

The Telfon core Minivap can be fully cleaned. No smell even on a used unit apart the silicone. I would fly with this thing.

But it's a lot bigger than the Pax anyways and not an alternative, just thinking loud...

Michel,
Reactions: steama

maremaresing

steama- I see what you are saying, but I was referring to the smell aspect that he was worried about. This would be the ability for it to be not detected by dogs, as well as people. While you may not be able to smell your Air, there is residual vapor residue SOMEWHERE in the unit, even if you can fully clean the mouthpieces. This is why I counted out the glass vaporgenie, on a technicality, because the ceramic element would probably still smell (though you can get rid of that with a blowtorch cleaning, I'd think).

In fact, if you are that concerned about your device not smelling, better not touch the outside after loading it, or messing with the load, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on that giveaway. I'll enter, even if it's a super one in a million chance.

maremaresing,

Ojan_at_PAX

Social Media Manager @ PAX
Company Rep
@Ojan_at_PAX , I'm located in Germany but I could buy a pax 2 in the US and ship it oversea to Europe.
Could I still warranty my pax 2 in Europe after you guys are finally starting your business here or is the serial only valid on the US/ Canadian market? Thx

Great question! We'll do our best to accommodate. If you have any questions about your PAX then reach out to us and we'll troubleshoot a bit. If a warranty inspection is necessary (and the fault wasn't something related to using the device overseas - like a foreign AC adapter damaged it) then we'll ask you to find a US/Canada based service or friend/family contact to help facilitate shipping. You foot the bill to us, we do our thing, and we send it to the contact who can then forward it to you.

I don't want to hypothesize about warranting anything outside of these countries since those details aren't available to me yet.

OnCloud8

Vapor Vixen
Pax is fogging up the room over here!

Reallly, if you can't get clouds out of this thing, your not packing tight enough. It just gives and gives even on the lowest setting when the oven is fully filled. Amazing...and flavor is awesome.

I've even noticed I can get a few puffs right after I shut it off. Is there any reason not to do this? I figured it would cool down the oven faster and then I don't waste the little wisps coming up after shut off...

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Pax is fogging up the room over here!

Reallly, if you can't get clouds out of this thing, your not packing tight enough. It just gives and gives even on the lowest setting when the oven is fully filled. Amazing...and flavor is awesome.

Yeah if you pack that oven well, even one petal gives up big clouds. I can get four or five pretty large hits on the first setting before moving up, and I can repeat the whole 1-4 petals cycle after dumping and stirring. Of course, this is like .2 gs or more, so you should get quite a bit of vapor out of it. Still, for its size, it can produce substantial vapor, and while there is a learning curve, it's pretty short...you just have to learn the optimal draw speed, which doesn't take long.

And really, it's pretty easy to clean. I don't spend more than six minutes on it, but I clean it after every two full loads.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the little guy. Still haven't heard Funkytown though. :lol:

The Arizer Air for one. Mine doesn't smell at all.

Right, and the FF is virtually odorless, as you know, as long as you don't open the lid. But no one would ever mistake it for a stealth vape, unlike the P2. But Pak's story surprises me...I would've sworn mine doesn't throw much odor, at all. That story is making me re-think that, though unlike say the INH05 I'm not noticing the odor. Time to get my wife to give me a reality check!

snorcan

Stay charged, my friends
So let me get this straight, the Pax 2 is equipped to vibrate, right? But it does not vibrate to signal that it has reached temperature? If not. That would be a great addition to the firmware, could even be an option one could turn on with a shake and two rolls, or the like!

snorcan,

whatavape

Engineering the stars since '01
After a few tests... @Ratchett's Pax 2 SonG works mighty fine!

Here are a few closeup's for those interested:
49tHiw2.jpg

apLtjwg.jpg

And here's one in action (excuse my roommate's dirty glass, mine was being cleaned this weekend!):
M9auhXR.jpg

Had some friends over to try 'er out, and everyone loved it. We used party mode so as to alleviate any sensor issues, but the silicone bypasses it anyways, so normal mode will work as well. I've been using the adapter without the MP (how it is pictured), although it also works by attaching to the raised MP, since the inner mold is airtight against the raised MP. It works without any fidgeting, too. We were passing it across a few non-vaper's but there were no drops and oddly enough, no one needed any help using it either!

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
That's awesome! The response from beta testers has been excellent. However, as you can see in this picture, I'm not happy enough to sell it on my store just yet.
49tHiw2.jpg

(Thanks @whatavape for the excellent photo!)

This was not how I designed the adapter (I originally made it to fit onto the flared mouthpiece). The fact it fits the pax2 without a mouthpiece is simply amazing!

I am going to modify the adapter slightly so it closes the gap on both sides of the vape, and re-print the molds this week. Hopefully I can still have these adapters done before the end of the month!

Stringer

I need to catch up on this thread when I have the time. I am here briefly to dispute my earlier post regarding the pax 2. My initial bad report of it getting too hot was either user error or, as I theorize, an initial cook setting embedded by the manufacturer to burn off anything left over from the manufacturing process.

I still want to order a mflb finishing grinder sometime soon. My acrylic volcano grinder is actually doing a decent job of grinding.

I'm getting giant clouds at temp setting one right now. This thing is discreet as hell too, and pretty efficient. It does smell a little bit though, and i wish it had a wall charger. Have to make sure it's empty when charging or it will stink up the place. I have been cleaning it fully after each oven. I can see the build quality is high. But over the course of ten years, I will certainly need to utilize pax warranty some point. Luckily their CS is rated high.

I also need some kind of case for it. It will get scratched up otherwise. Glad I went with platinum.

So far this thing rocks!

Mod note: Edited

Last edited by a moderator:

Dexter 1980

We Make It Turn
Accessory Maker
I still want to order a mflb finishing grinder sometime soon. My acrylic volcano grinder is actually doing a decent job of grinding.

I have been switching up the grind quite a bit..... as of late the mflb nano grinder seems to be the sweet spot for the material I am grinding.

Nice clouds and even color throughout the oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom