Discontinued Pax 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ar89x

I think it's a combination of both.

I get some Vape, not a lot, but don't feel anything.

I'm new to herb completely. I didn't want to combust so vaping is my first experience.

I used to have a similar experience, then I noticed that a finely grinded packed bowl works much more effective and make sure you're taking slow and long drags.. Sometimes I'll feel the tingle around the 10th second of pulling and that's when I know I got a good hit.

Also, after you pop out the screen to clean it the first time, it won't go back to its flat position but the side where the pipe meets the oven should be left a bit raised and that improves air flow and vapor by quite a bit.

ar89x,

whatavape

Engineering the stars since '01
Unfortunately, I have some bad news regarding cleaning with my P2.

Friday night I decided it was time to clean the P2 for the first time. I'll be honest, I had run 10 ovens through the device. Usually I'd clean my P1 after 3-4, because the MP would start to stick. I took it further with the P2 because there's no moving parts, and it has been mentioned in this thread that you can wait longer before cleaning.

I have the screen without the feet... and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the screen out. I dipped one of the included pipe cleaners into the included 70% iso and pushed through. Well, the pipe cleaner came out of the oven.. but the screen didn't!

Upon closer inspection (I can probably post some pics tonight if I figure out how...) I noticed that the air path of the P2 is far closer to the side of the oven (nearly touching it) so that my pipe cleaner just pushed through the scallop on the short side of the screen. I actually had to remove the screen with pliers at this point, because my fingers are too big for the oven, and it was now bent from the pipe cleaner moving under it.

My P2 was NOT very dirty, and in fact, had no build-up at all in the oven, with the exception of a small amount of resin on the underside of the screen, opposite the side of the draw tube. The screen was too tight-fitting and I believe that was the issue for me. The small amount of resin seemed to seal the screen to the top of the oven so it wouldn't come out. So for now, I'm stuck without a working P2, as I have no screen! I've tried to straighten it out but the screen is pretty hacked up and will not seat back in the oven.

I'm still a bit disappointed that we were not told of different screens being sent out. The screen with feet would have worked significantly better in this case, as it would have not allowed the screen to fuse via small amounts of resin to the oven top. Then I could have pushed it right out.

I will send @Ojan_at_PAX a message and get back to ya'll, but seeing as there are no listings on PAX Labs' website for replacement screens, I have no way to use my P2 for now! I'll try cutting a P1 screen and report back.

adam_baumm

If you want dense clouds use dry fine ground and fill er up. Take slow long draws and get back to us please ;)

adam_baumm,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Unfortunately, I have some bad news regarding cleaning with my P2.

Friday night I decided it was time to clean the P2 for the first time. I'll be honest, I had run 10 ovens through the device. Usually I'd clean my P1 after 3-4, because the MP would start to stick. I took it further with the P2 because there's no moving parts, and it has been mentioned in this thread that you can wait longer before cleaning.

I have the screen without the feet... and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the screen out. I dipped one of the included pipe cleaners into the included 70% iso and pushed through. Well, the pipe cleaner came out of the oven.. but the screen didn't!

Upon closer inspection (I can probably post some pics tonight if I figure out how...) I noticed that the air path of the P2 is far closer to the side of the oven (nearly touching it) so that my pipe cleaner just pushed through the scallop on the short side of the screen. I actually had to remove the screen with pliers at this point, because my fingers are too big for the oven, and it was now bent from the pipe cleaner moving under it.

My P2 was NOT very dirty, and in fact, had no build-up at all in the oven, with the exception of a small amount of resin on the underside of the screen, opposite the side of the draw tube. The screen was too tight-fitting and I believe that was the issue for me. The small amount of resin seemed to seal the screen to the top of the oven so it wouldn't come out. So for now, I'm stuck without a working P2, as I have no screen! I've tried to straighten it out but the screen is pretty hacked up and will not seat back in the oven.

I'm still a bit disappointed that we were not told of different screens being sent out. The screen with feet would have worked significantly better in this case, as it would have not allowed the screen to fuse via small amounts of resin to the oven top. Then I could have pushed it right out.

I will send @Ojan_at_PAX a message and get back to ya'll, but seeing as there are no listings on PAX Labs' website for replacement screens, I have no way to use my P2 for now! I'll try cutting a P1 screen and report back.
sounds to me like your residue was holding the screen in the oven, and just turning on the pax, letting the oven heat first, then turning it off, and try to remove the screen while the oven is warm. Oils are like glue when cold, and get softer when hot. Sorry you had a bad time trying to clean your pax, maybe this tip will help avoid problems in the future.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I didn't find much of an oder
Perhaps the unit was not functioning correctly and the company should be contacted. You are under warranty.
( once was good enough) enough to know i wasn't feeling nothing from this thing
It is not from a "thing" that we feel medicated, but rather from the meds within.
If a working Pax 2 filled with "high end" meds do not do it for you, then other vaporizers that deliver simple "flower vapor" likely won't either.
feeling good now after a dab or two
but in your post at http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/half-gram-of-shatter-in-one-hit.17156/#post-768623
you state:
Which one gets you higher wax, budder or oil? New to dabbing. Thanks.
Was the Pax 2 the first portable herbal vaporizer?
Was it your first vaporizer?
It seems that you are bashing a product without any prior point of reference.
At least you did not blame MJ... or Vaporization in general.
Please contact the manufacturer and tell them about the unit's function, perhaps they can help you.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Haven't gotten a chance to get caught up on this thread since they started shipping the Pax2. But I wanted to share an early prototype of my Silicone Waterpipe Adapter for the Pax2.

aiHDO9q.jpg
mg2JQLy.jpg

Sadly this first version is not 100% air tight, so I modified the mouthpiece section slightly (Scaled down 10%) and re-printed the mold last night. Vapor polished this morning, and casting revision 2 later today

As you can see - this adapter has my new Multi-fit end which fit's both 14mm and 18mm bubblers.

I should have this WPA finished sometime within the next week, may need a few people to test and confirm it works with the Pax2 since I don't have one yet!

Greetings all!

Just an update, 3rd time was the charm. My waterpipe adapter design is 100% air tight and looks ready to go! I'm shipping several prototypes to Pax2 owners to confirm they work, and will be listing them on my store sometime before the end of the month!

Kerwinflo

Greetings all!

Just an update, 3rd time was the charm. My waterpipe adapter design is 100% air tight and looks ready to go! I'm shipping several prototypes to Pax2 owners to confirm they work, and will be listing them on my store sometime before the end of the month!

Excellent.. I'll be happy to purchase once its in the store!

whatavape

sounds to me like your residue was holding the screen in the oven, and just turning on the pax, letting the oven heat first, then turning it off, and try to remove the screen while the oven is warm. Oils are like glue when cold, and get softer when hot. Sorry you had a bad time trying to clean your pax, maybe this tip will help avoid problems in the future.

Sorry, I should clarify. My P2 was warm, not hot, as I let it heat to lowest setting (1 petal, yellow) and then let it cool down so that it did not burn my hands if I needed to touch inside of the oven. This is the same exact method I used with P1, to heat to lowest temp and then allow to cool to touch. It is still warm, at this point, though, and my point was that the type of screen that some users received would have absolutely fixed my problem. The sticking issue wasn't a big deal in the P1 because of the placement of the airpath closer to oven center - I'd feel some resistance but could push the screen out without damaging it since all of my force was not concentrated at one end.

It won't go back in at all? Could you post a picture?

It will go back in, but will not seat properly because it is bent. As you can see from the first photo, my P2 has some flower fragments around the draw tube, because when I tested with it seated improperly (I wasn't sure if it would work since it is bent...) some fragments got around the screen.

2haDrwS.jpg

The metal is too flimsy and soft to bend, I have tried with pliers. I have cut down a P1 screen and am testing that now as we speak. It seems to fit much better and may well be a temporary fix for me. Now I'm glad I kept all of my P1 screens as I bought new ones. Here it what my screen looks like. Sorry for the low quality photos. Had to do everything from my phone as I am out. I'll be back tonight and I can try to get a better photo.

XYHan8X.jpg

EDIT: fixed missing '.jpg' in image links

whatavape,

Stringer

Now that I've got the p2 ordered, I was wondering what a good grinder would be to best compliment this vape? Would like to keep it under 50 bucks. Thanks!

Stringer,

whatavape

Now that I've got the p2 ordered, I was wondering what a good grinder would be to best compliment this vape? Would like to keep it under 50 bucks. Thanks!

Everyone says the big names, but I've got a version 1 and version 2 of Golden Gate Grinders' 2.5'' model, and its [EDIT: they are both!] sweet. They are available on Amazon for around $25-30 depending on if he's running a sale and probably some other retailers but I mainly use Amazon.

I ordered one of the gen 1's and the owner sent me a message shortly after asking what I thought. I gave him some input and long story short he has sent me a bunch of freebies to test ever since. Planet Pegasus is the seller's amazon ID I believe.

Anyway, it is the sharpest and longest lasting grinder I've had. A quick turn upside-down (like an SCS or CC) will give you wonderful powder. My gen 1 also seems to catch way more pollen than any other grinder I've ever had.

P.S. - I've been using my P1 screen this afternoon, and it works wonderfully. Hopefully this will hold me off until I get a new screen!

Last edited:
whatavape,

JoeMama

* Edit *

Sorry Mods. I couldn't resist. :rofl:

God I love South Park :)

Also in this video at 4:11 in he says the PAX2 plays music. What is the purpose of this feature and has anyone heard about this anywhere else? Does that mean you can make an audible chirp or beep when its up to temp?

No, I don't think so, but DAMN that is a GREAT idea! So many times I let my friends use my Paxes, and they sit there chatting while the thing is glowing green and I'm like, HEY!! A little one-time chirp upon reaching temp seems like a cool idea. Optional to the user of course. I mean, if this thing can play music.... :rolleyes:

Exactly my issue: For two years I've cleaned my Pax 1 once per week (everyday use, one full oven every day or so). And I used fine grind on the Pax 1. Not much resin issue under the screen. Now, with Pax 2, I cleaned it after one week, and the screen was stuck and once off, obviously I had to use a lot of ISO on teh oven floor. I can see that at some point I will occasionally have to use very fine steel wool in a tiny ball held with flat tweezers to lightly scrub off the floor and walls of the oven (worked great on the Pax 1 every 3 weeks or so).

So yeah, I do love my Pax, but I can't say I love my Pax 2 more than my Pax 1. It's just cooler and smaller and less MP issues. Other issues took that place! I guess sometimes there are trade offs you have to choose whether to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandoo

God I love South Park :)

No, I don't think so, but DAMN that is a GREAT idea! So many times I let my friends use my Paxes, and they sit there chatting while the thing is glowing green and I'm like, HEY!! A little one-time chirp upon reaching temp seems like a cool idea. Optional to the user of course. I mean, if this thing can play music.... :rolleyes:

Exactly my issue: For two years I've cleaned my Pax 1 once per week (everyday use, one full oven every day or so). And I used fine grind on the Pax 1. Not much resin issue under the screen. Now, with Pax 2, I cleaned it after one week, and the screen was stuck and once off, obviously I had to use a lot of ISO on teh oven floor. I can see that at some point I will occasionally have to use very fine steel wool in a tiny ball held with flat tweezers to lightly scrub off the floor and walls of the oven (worked great on the Pax 1 every 3 weeks or so).

So yeah, I do love my Pax, but I can't say I love my Pax 2 more than my Pax 1. It's just cooler and smaller and less MP issues. Other issues took that place! I guess sometimes there are trade offs you have to choose whether to deal with.
Hey Joe, Would you mind giving an opinion on wheather the P2 is superior to the P1 except for size?
I don't have any problems at all with the P1 except the oven lid poping off when its dropped.
I always click it off after a few hits also.
Thanks.

Bandoo,

JoeMama

Hey Joe, Would you mind giving an opinion on wheather the P2 is superior to the P1 except for size?
I don't have any problems at all with the P1 except the oven lid poping off when its dropped.
I always click it off after a few hits also.
Thanks.

Bandoo, sure thing... I've been "quietly" trying to come to my own honest opinion, for myself, on whether I like the Pax 1 or 2 equally or not... I don't want the fact that I've been so used to the novelty of the Pax 1 (my first and only portable vape) to influence my preference. But...

1) With the exception of the MP mechanism -which by the way I've rarely had a problem with (I've discovered the perfect way to maintain it during my weekly cleanings) - I think the Pax 1 is a winner regarding the "oven residue" issue. I mean, really, the Pax 2 oven-and-screen residue issue (as Whatavape so graciously posted a picture of) is profoundly more work than simply cleaning and lubing the Pax 1 MP well.

2) As I've posted earlier, the protruding MP on the Pax 2 - which I prefer because it needs no explanation on how to use (the flat one is stealthy, but I think either MP is "stealthy" enough.

3) I find that IF I use coarse-grind (or crumbled herb), rather than finely ground herb, there is a trade off between cloud thickness and how much you want to deal with residue UNDER the screen.

4) The Pax 2 charging mechanism and battery life is superior.

But the Pax 2 does have nicer flavor, I will say that for sure.

So I haven't "decided" which one I like better... But I'm still using Pax 2 since I've boxed up the Pax 1 after a thorough cleaning.

I hope I've been helpful!

JoeMama,
Reactions: Vape Dr.

Mr. Me2

Bandoo, sure thing... I've been "quietly" trying to come to my own honest opinion, for myself, on whether I like the Pax 1 or 2 equally or not... I don't want the fact that I've been so used to the novelty of the Pax 1 (my first and only portable vape) to influence my preference. But...

1) With the exception of the MP mechanism -which by the way I've rarely had a problem with (I've discovered the perfect way to maintain it during my weekly cleanings) - I think the Pax 1 is a winner regarding the "oven residue" issue. I mean, really, the Pax 2 oven-and-screen residue issue (as Whatavape so graciously posted a picture of) is profoundly more work than simply cleaning and lubing the Pax 1 MP well.

2) As I've posted earlier, the protruding MP on the Pax 2 - which I prefer because it needs no explanation on how to use (the flat one is stealthy, but I think either MP is "stealthy" enough.

3) I find that IF I use coarse-grind (or crumbled herb), rather than finely ground herb, there is a trade off between cloud thickness and how much you want to deal with residue UNDER the screen.

4) The Pax 2 charging mechanism and battery life is superior.

But the Pax 2 does have nicer flavor, I will say that for sure.

So I haven't "decided" which one I like better... But I'm still using Pax 2 since I've boxed up the Pax 1 after a thorough cleaning.

I hope I've been helpful!
Thanks for the review (and the reviews of all other FC'ers). I've been a little on the fence with this vape based on people's expressed issues/concerns. But I think I'm going to pull the trigger today!

BTW - Vape Critic gave me a link to a cleaning tool that should help release stuck screens. Here it is:
http://www.vapecritic.com/vaporizers/shop/ssvpick. I didn't get one yet, but plan to. This site has a bunch of other tools I haven't seen elsewhere.

Mr. Me2,

SmorezNTickles

It's real.
So over the weekend I finally got to use my Pax2 a little. Awesome little device, love the form factor and how small it is! LED's are pretty cool and I can't wait to see what other little things are still in store!

So packing this thing, I ground up some herb upside down and filled about 1/3 of the oven as my tolerance is pretty low. I heated it up to 2 petals and when the lights lit green, I took a deep draw. Expecting vapor, I exhaled, and was surprised there wasn't any. I tried a few more times but I got minimal vapor so I popped opened the lid and saw that most of the herb fell and stuck to it as I packed rather loose. I scraped it off the lid and back into the oven, and then hit it upside down like @pakalolo did when he used a finer grind. This time, vapor!

The next time I used it, my Pax2 pusher had arrived in the mail and I decided to give it a try. Loading the same herb with the same grind I found better results this time. I got about 5-7 draws before I tasted the burnt popcorn taste. I would say flavor is a little weaker than the air/solo, although if I were to load more I'm sure it would enhance the taste. Battery is still at 4 petals after a few uses. The bottom does let out a little smell, obviously due to the lid having little gaps for airflow. Overall, great little device and I look forward to using it more!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I think the Pax 1 is a winner regarding the "oven residue" issue. I mean, really, the Pax 2 oven-and-screen residue issue (as Whatavape so graciously posted a picture of) is profoundly more work than simply cleaning and lubing the Pax 1 MP well.

There's no "oven residue" issue yet. @whatavape obviously had trouble, and you said yours stuck and you had to use a lot of ISO on the oven floor. I think that given the increased size of the scalloping that there is clearly potential for more residue and resin, but whether that becomes a significant problem remains to be seen. So far, we have only two reports out of all the Pax 2 owners posting here. Time will tell.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

It's a little unfair to ding the P2 because one or two users waited too long to clean the device, and then had issues, IMO. Using ten ovens' worth of material before popping out the screen is a great way to let residue build up unnecessarily. I've been cleaning mine every two or three ovens, with no problems with the screen, or too much residue.

Lax user maintenance isn't an inherent fault of a device. IME the P2 is super easy to clean and maintain, so far anyway.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Well gave my pax2 a out of the house use and it performed excellent. Loaded up a oven using the pax1 screens trick to push the load down. Headed out to do some errands started out with 1 petal.

Had to stop get blood drawn so turned unit off after 5-6 good hits. Took care of getting that and returned to car where I upped it to 2 petals. I was surprised how well the flavor still was after being stopped and restarted. The pax1 never tasted this good after restarting a bowl.

Got to my next stop by then had taken a few more hits. So turned off unit again and ran into store. After I was done shopping decided to head back home so cranked it up to 4 petal. Got some nice clouds taste was spent but still not to the popcorn burnt state.

By now I have ran a few ovens and still not sure where the whole smell bad about this vaporizer came from. I find in smells no more than my other portables. Only thing I can think of is if you happen to roast the meds to the point of scorched it might produce a bad smell?

HerbieVonVapster,

b0

Cloudy...
What about international warranty? I'm thinking about buying one of these...

b0,

JoeMama

It's a little unfair to ding the P2 because one or two users waited too long to clean the device, and then had issues, IMO. Using ten ovens worth of material before popping out the screen is a great way to let residue build up unnecessarily. I've been cleaning mine every two or three ovens, with no problems with the screen, or too much residue.

Lax user maintenance isn't an inherent fault of a device. IME the P2 is super easy to clean and maintain, so far anyway.

Well, look, I'm not a 3-ovens-a-day user; and the Pax 1 NEVER had the residue on the oven floor, and on the underside of the screen itself after 5 or 6 days... that's maybe 6 half-filled oven-fulls and my "lax user maintenance".... So, yes, you can clean it more often "with no problems". In fact, you can clean it every day if you like. I'm saying that COMPARED to the Pax 1, there is MORE residue getting under the screen per X number of uses. "Lax user maintenance". :clap:

JoeMama,

TheDog

One bowl, I get 2 sessions of 10 draws each on 2 pedals, 1 session (10 draws) on 3 pedals and 1 final session on 4 pedals. From one bowl!! I shut it off for an hour between each session.
Vape critic says he only got 20 draws and I got 40, what's he smokin? ;)

No fine grind just ground in SC shredder.
Used flat MP and didn't seal lips around it, leave space at the side of your mouth to draw in air. Create a vortex.
But draw really slow and give 10 sec between draws for oven to create more vapour.

The screen can be hard to get out, you need a "cake tester" (google it) bought at any grocery store.
Cleaning is a breeze but I find more smell on the mouth piece and not so much the oven.
Overall, best portable vape everrrrr. :leaf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom