Partner concerned with amount of vaping

EverythingsHazy

My partner uses cannabis, but prefers to use less than I do. She thinks that I prefer to be high all the time, and she may be right in that I prefer to stay medicated...

Part of the problem is that I do rather enjoy being medicated, and I feel like it makes some of my favorite activities that much more enjoyable.
I'm curious why you consider it being "medicated" and not "buzzed"/"high"/"stoned"? Are you using cannabis as a medicine to treat a condition, or using it for fun? Saying, "Part of the problem is that I do rather enjoy being medicated, and I feel like it makes some of my favorite activities that much more enjoyable", makes it seem like you're using it for recreational purposes. A little alcohol takes the edge off of things, and makes a lot of things more fun, but I wouldn't consider doing a shot "getting medicated".

EverythingsHazy,

VapingDitto

420 Gamer
does this mean vaporizing cannabis through the day?

this thread has made me spin through several dozen possible responses, so thanks for that, and everyone is different, but ...

i don't do concentrates - i just don't trust the tech - so i can't address whatever that adds to your question, but concerning a relationship ... i have come to believe the partners need to, no - MUST, have compatible vices ... walling off part of you from your partner will be problematic long-term.

i'm almost 69 and i've been with my gf (wife.2) for 40 years.

Hey Im curious, what do you mean when you say, "I just don't trust the tech?". Do you mean the extract artists? or the vaporizers? If concentrates what about rosin?

VapingDitto,

herbivore21

yes, yes, yes and the growers, too.

although i do trust my vaporizer - because i made it.
lol my friend you know I have long warned about safety risks with concentrates, but we live in the age of rosin and your fears about extracts really aren't so relevant anymore.

You can simply squish your own nugs for safe clean oil. I've said it before, rosin tek is idiot proof.

You are very, very far from an idiot of course! After all, you designed and built your own vape man - not just a log either! - around these parts, you are one of the more capable people in the room technically! You can't tell me that you couldn't manage to squish safe resin with a couple of heated plates? What I mean to highlight is that if you trust vaping your flowers, you can trust squishing and dabbing them :2c:

Not saying that you need to use concentrates of course (by all means, keep on enjoying your vape and your flowers brother!), just that safe concentrates can be had by anybody who can buy flowers these days :) :peace:

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
the rosin is only the start, then i need a dab vape (do you know how long i've been working on my flower vape???) ... i just don't see any advantage given the effort.

Hippie Dickie,

little maggie

You start the thread by talking about your partner not liking your vaping all day. But you are not just vaping all day but you are vaping concentrates all day. For those of you who have responded about vaping throughout the day I'd like to know whether there is a difference in vaping concentrates vs vaping herb throughout the day? Just curious- don't have a judgment about this.

little maggie,

virtualpurple

I'm curious why you consider it being "medicated" and not "buzzed"/"high"/"stoned"? Are you using cannabis as a medicine to treat a condition, or using it for fun? Saying, "Part of the problem is that I do rather enjoy being medicated, and I feel like it makes some of my favorite activities that much more enjoyable", makes it seem like you're using it for recreational purposes. A little alcohol takes the edge off of things, and makes a lot of things more fun, but I wouldn't consider doing a shot "getting medicated".

It's a fine line to try and walk. I began as a medical user for insomnia, headaches, and for some abdominal issues. But it has certainly has taken more of a recreational turn as time has gone on.

Sometimes it's being medicated, and at other times it crosses the threshold to purely recreational.

I get what you're saying, but I think often times some here will use the term medicated very loosely. I'm just trying to relate my experience to support the OP.

If I offended you with the verbiage, I'll apologize, but that is something that happens here and sometimes we use more than we truly need.

EverythingsHazy

It's a fine line to try and walk. I began as a medical user for insomnia, headaches, and for some abdominal issues. But it has certainly has taken more of a recreational turn as time has gone on.

Sometimes it's being medicated, and at other times it crosses the threshold to purely recreational.

I get what you're saying, but I think often times some here will use the term medicated very loosely. I'm just trying to relate my experience to support the OP.

If I offended you with the verbiage, I'll apologize, but that is something that happens here and sometimes we use more than we truly need.
No offense taken. I was just wondering why you seemed like you were purposely differentiating between the two.

I know some people here are purely medical, some are purely recreational, and some are both, so I wasn't sure.

herbivore21

You start the thread by talking about your partner not liking your vaping all day. But you are not just vaping all day but you are vaping concentrates all day. For those of you who have responded about vaping throughout the day I'd like to know whether there is a difference in vaping concentrates vs vaping herb throughout the day? Just curious- don't have a judgment about this.
I dab concentrates all day, everyday. I am a productive, high functioning citizen in a white collar profession with significant authority over the careers and life chances of others in my day-to-day life.

Concentrates have a clearer, headier effect than vaping flowers. I find vaping flowers more debilitating for my needs than the concentrates I consume. I do find that certain extracts from certain starting material can be sleepier and couch-lock like, but generally concentrates (dosed reasonably!) are more functional to use all day than flowers. I would never consume flowers during a working day. Dabbing a moderate dab of rosin on a working morning? - no problem!

It is easy to see why this difference exists. When you vape the nug, you heat a bunch of plant material and some of that shit vaporizes and comes along for the ride into your airways. You squish the same nug or run it into full melt and you remove most/all of the filler and only heat stuff that more readily forms a vapor phase with less particulates floating about therein.

A lot of flower users and especially non-cannabis users think that concentrates are much stronger and more of a 'drug' than flowers, but IME flowers are not so medically useful for many of the conditions I medicate and flowers alone often actually decrease my functioning (increased insomnia since flowers do not keep me asleep for long, more couch-lock/sleepy/dizzy effects which do not assist my busy lifestyle, etc.). The perception of concentrates as the oxycodone to flowers' codeine is superficial and inaccurate IME as a long term almost no flower user :2c:

@Hippie Dickie these are some of my reasons for why there are advantages to concentrates over the original flowers :)

TwistedGray

Interesting perspective @herbivore21, and I would tend to agree from my personal experience.

If I vape flowers I'm pretty much done for the next hour to three hours, but if I vape concentrates I am still very lively, functional, and otherwise fine. Thus similarly if I want to vape during the day I'll use concentrates at an extremely small dose, but pretty constantly. In my opinion, my work life and home life have not suffered one bit.

In any event, I find myself consuming significantly less alcohol now then before which I consider a win. I don't want up feeling like dogshit after a night of vaping even if I feel that I overdid it. Worst case is a little morning grogginess.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I've never found a difference ... just concentrates get me there quicker but cost a lot more ... and I'm not very confident in the quality of the concentrates I get all the time (it sucks to drop $40-$50 for a gram and get it and it's not that good ... or even worse if you spent $250-$300 on a quarter!)

I prefer flowers, but the convenience of concentrates on the go is attractive to me ... the difference in the effect for me is subtle (they are both similar)

TwistedGray

Concentrates do the exact opposite for me, they're milder and more contained. Interesting how two different people have two completely different responses to similar products.

TwistedGray,
Reactions: Squiby

herbivore21

Concentrates do the exact opposite for me, they're milder and more contained. Interesting how two different people have two completely different responses to similar products.
The kind of concentrate and the source material are key in these different experiences. For example, a low quality extract full of plant material or over/underpurged material is going to be more debilitating as I describe above. Solvent vapors choke the user out and will make them feel more tired. Overpurged material will have a lot of thermal degradation byproducts which will make folks sleepier too. Full melt from a strong broad leaf variety will make the user sleepy, especially if it has a lot of sleepy terps like Myrcene. Full melt from a narrow leaf variety may be sleepier than rosin from the same flower (more terps can mean more of the sleepy terps, I am not sure if the non-resin content of the resin glands may also contribute to sleepiness/fogginess).

I find it best to not go overboard on full melt dabs early in the day or I'll fall asleep for a few hours with 3 or 4 moderate dabs too close together (this is very helpful at night, let alone some of the new night meds I've developed which are some of my new kinds of extracts debuted in other threads recently). Rosin dabs on the other hand will be no problem in that number - I'll still be awake, clear and functional with rosin from this variety. Other varieties/phenotypes from the same variety will be different still when rosined!

I only dab solventless concentrates of the highest quality. Flower rosins and 5-6 star full melt bubble from exceptional flowers. When properly paying attention and with adequate control over the doses and types of extracts one uses, extracts are a much more functional daily use option than flowers IME. The variety is very relevant as is the extraction method used. One other thing not mentioned here is the way you consume your dab. If you use a torch and nail or other manually heated setup or high temps in something else, you might be dabbing hotter than I am on low temp sapphire. That is also going to change the psychoactivity you get from your meds to something less productive/functional in terms of head clarity.

EverythingsHazy

It is easy to see why this difference exists. When you vape the nug, you heat a bunch of plant material and some of that shit vaporizes and comes along for the ride into your airways. You squish the same nug or run it into full melt and you remove most/all of the filler and only heat stuff that more readily forms a vapor phase with less particulates floating about therein.
I'm curious why, based on this, you'd expect concentrates to be more clear headed. I'd think a difference in effect would be caused by either the addition or subtraction of a (possibly multiple) chemical.. What is it in the ground up bud that you suspect makes you sleepy when vaporized, that happens to be not be found in rosin?

EverythingsHazy,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
the rosin is only the start, then i need a dab vape (do you know how long i've been working on my flower vape???) ... i just don't see any advantage given the effort.
Not trying to go off topic but you can use your current vaporizer with concentrates. I use more convection vaporizers with concentrates than standard nails and pens.

Here's a video I made on how to do the UD with concentrates.

This Firewood video shows 3 different ways of using concentrates through it. Herb and oil mixed are my least favorite.

Those videos are a bit old and my technique right now is just pure hemp fiber or cotton.

I also agree with a lot of the statements above that concentrates allow me to be more functional versus herb.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: Squiby

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I was hoping the OP would answer some of the questions many FCers had regarding the "smoking all day" and whether the OP was a medical cannabis user. For me personally concentrates shoots my tolerance up. We all have different needs and lifestyles. I do use concentrates but not all the time. I prefer the taste of flowers.

@rebelxd if you are in FCland respond to some of the questions if still interested in the questions and answers. It might help others in a similar situation. I see this thread started mid January.

I personally won't be banished to some basement or some back room to use cannabis. Vaporizing allows me to use cannabis wherever and whenever I please in my own home. I understand if a person has children. You are the king or queen of your own castle 50/50.

My husband didn't like it when I smoked my cannabis. Neither one of us smoked cigs. He used to use cannabis but no longer because of work drug tests. Hubby is glad I switched to vaporizing.

When you live together with another person whether you have a love interest or just roommates you have to give and take. Talk about the problems and find a middle ground, you both will be happier for it.:2c::leaf:

Last edited:

C No Ego

I was hoping the OP would answer some of the questions many FCers had regarding the "smoking all day" and whether the OP was a medical cannabis user. For me personally concentrates shoots my tolerance up. We all have different needs and lifestyles. I do use concentrates but not all the time. I prefer the taste of flowers.

@rebelxd if you are in FCland respond to some of the questions if still interested in the questions and answers. It might help others in a similar situation.

When you live together with another person whether you have a love interest or just roommates you have to give and take. Talk about the problems and find a middle ground.

It will be great when the canna monitors are not overly concerned about everyone else's endocannabinoid system or the constant regulation from afar of someone else's biological lipid signaling processes... it is sickening to think about where we are consciously as an accepted society and to boost your internal cannabinoids means you might just sit in a jail cell... in terms of a healthy society we are about as backwards as we can get... we need to turn it around though while sick people ( literally) micro manage endocannabinoids from afar with guns and ammo

CloudyDayz

My wife does not use cannabis but doesn't mind that I do. When we met she had recently stopped smoking herb and I was a heavy user. She still doesn't smoke and I'm still a heavy user, lol. She definitely doesn't mind but oddly I think she prefers me smoking to vaping. When I smoked, I'd step out to the garage for a few minutes at a time but when I vape, I vape in my office and it takes a lot longer so it pretty much seems like I'm going berserk with my usage when I'm actually not using any more than usual . .maybe even a bit less.

It was exactly the same thing when I tried quitting cigs with e-cigs. I had an e-cig practically stapled to my face 24/7 and she thought .. holy cow, he's using more than ever now that he's switched to vaping! I explained it but she didn't really get it .. even though she smokes cigs she has always refused to even try an e-cig. I eventually went back to cigs and then quit with lozenges .. but that's another post, lol.

Luckily, though - we have a pretty tolerant dynamic. Even if my vaping bugs her she won't tell me stop. It would take me starting to mess up in life or something (I don't know, has never happened) for her to tell me I need to change it.

does this mean vaporizing cannabis through the day?

this thread has made me spin through several dozen possible responses, so thanks for that, and everyone is different, but ...

i don't do concentrates - i just don't trust the tech - so i can't address whatever that adds to your question, but concerning a relationship ... i have come to believe the partners need to, no - MUST, have compatible vices ... walling off part of you from your partner will be problematic long-term.

i'm almost 69 and i've been with my gf (wife.2) for 40 years.

Dickie - there's a comedian named Chris Rock who has a bit about compatible vices. He jokes that if your wife is getting ready for church, you can't be hitting the (crack) pipe.

I had this revelation in my own life very recently (I'm stupid and didn't take the above comedy advice, that bit is 10+ years old) and told my gf I was tired of feeling ashamed and she should either try it, not mention it again, or keep bitching until we break up.

She tried it and let's just say no more problems. :cool::brow:

Top Bottom