• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Parents That Vape

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I vape in front of my kids. The laundry room and guest room is where I do my deeds - I have a screened in porch and pool but sometimes its too hot here and quite honestly it kicks my asthma's ass! I believe in being totally honest with my kids about vaporizing, I don't want them ever hiding things from me and I think its important to show them the same respect.

crawdad

floatin
i dont think the burden of knowledge is appropriate for a child, but thats my take on it...figure they got enough to learn as is and i really want them to experience just being a kid.

would be quite easy for them to mention something to the wrong person (accidentally/innocently) and things go haywire from there. few threads on here about this, and im still waiting for that day when the timing will be right but its years down the road, so i'll just keep the bowl warm till then.

any vape or combust is done physically away from them and mostly its when they are asleep, prefer to keep their actively growing minds away from inducement for now.

I got a portable vape, I like to take it with my when I go for walks with my dog or right before I go for a run. I used to smoke pinches and my kids would come in the garage and be like what smells out there....since I made the switch, no complaints from anyone. But I'm guilty of sometimes putting everyone to bed and then blasting off while I play some PS3 and listen to podcasts or music.

Pcpvapors

I don't have kids of my own but I firmly believe that having it out in the open makes kids a lot more comfortable. I know personally when my dad realized I smoked and he was accepting because he also used made the situation a lot better in the sense that I wasn't having to leave the house to kill the pain. Overall IMHO openness is the best scenario

Been following this thread a while but haven't gotten on the PC long enough to respond. Yes, my husband and I have a 5 year old. Here is how we cope with this difficulty in our family (considering our own circumstances):​
The words "pot" and "marijuana" and other words that make actual sense to small kids
We basically have taught him from a toddler that these are the "medicine plants". He has seen 1-2 disabled patients of mine, come and go with a hug to pick up a bottle of their "dried plants". He has seen one of his Grandma and Grandpas (extended) use it when they had headaches and wanted to relax. I do use those safe words for a very good reason: I do not want my son accidentally using the word "pot" or "marijuana" at school, with friends, anywhere. So we never use that word at all around him. He knows these plants help our friends, daddy and mommy. He knows lots of our family uses it and knows that a "medicine cigarette"​
Botany, Gardening, etc.. and growing plants alongside them that are kid-friendly
So we are teaching our son to grow sunflowers, baby peas and he loves watching any seeds pop out of the soil. He commonly asks me if I have watered my medicine plants today, if I need to pick my medicine plants and when their ugly flowers are going to be here :) Well.. compared to the roses or sunflowers outside, they sure are ugly!​
How we are trying to pre-emptively prevent unwanted inquiry
We always, always grow lavender, basil, rosemary and occasionally mint, chives, etc... for a few reasons. They are lovely, yes, but if anyone really asked, I would say,"oh he calls those medicine plants". Until he turns 7-8, Ill keep that cover knowing that little kids have no filters and have little wish to lie or be in any way deceitful in keeping secrets. He's a nice kid and a few times he will tell people, "Mommy is making medicine to put on your skin with the medicine plants and I'm helping!" so if this was questioned, I would explain my interest in botanicals and herbs...​
We just keep it on the down-low if possible, and in terms of legality, I understood from CANORML legal advice to put a big sign on the growroom door that says "Noone under the age of 18 allowed". He is not allowed to go in there unless it is an emergency (or I am absolutely begging for a cold drink, j/k)​
My husband doesn't garden at all. He doesn't trim either, but he keeps our son busy during harvest. I would suggest any parent have a co-parent or another caregiver in the house that regularly plays with the kids, so they don't feel neglected for hours on end, for a week or two. It's a family time when I harvest, and they play while I work in the kitchen and we chat. (this obviously wouldnt work in a larger operation or one where kids are not used to the sights and sounds of cannabis harvesting).​
Last thing, he understands my vaporizer, how it works, not to touch it. He knows it holds "medicine" stuff in it (I have an Omicron and Vapir No2) and I keep it away from him. It is really out of respect for his innocent childhood more than safety. He knows what it is, that it is not for kids, that it can make "some people feel better" and to tell mommy or daddy if we leave it in the living room or something.​
Anyway, hope some of this helps. If not in practicality for your family situation, for sympathy, empathy and I just recommend any parent that plans to grow regularly, smoke or vaporize regularly to explain it to kids while they are small enough to understand without judgement. I believe it is a healthy thing and since it has gotten me through anxiety attacks and asthma attacks, I keep my vaporizer close to me.​
Good luck, Singing Crow​

Hey All,
I was hoping to start a discussion on how others with kids vape. Do you strictly vape outside the home? Do you have a special place in the house (or garage) where you medicate? In our case we both vape at home (after our baby is in bed) in a downstairs room furnished for such activities :brow:. We have a part time nanny in our home during the day so I usually go outside to the garage or take a drive at those times :ninja: (typically with my Thermovape Revolution or Arizer Solo, both portables) I know a lot of us on here have kids and I would love to have a great discussion with others in the community. It is also my hope that I might get to know some of you better in the process!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies! :peace:

To answer this question:
-we vaporize in the house, but away from our son. I usually use it in my bedroom.
-I don't smoke joints or pipes much, but if we do, we do it outside since there is residual smoke

We have a babysitter. Almost 3-4 sentences into our interview came "I just want to tell you about my hobby, since it might matter whether you would like to babysit for us..." so make sure your babysitter or other family who may be watching the kids knows the places you store concentrate supplies, stashes, etc..

I mean, if you can trust them with your kids, you can trust them with where your medicine is. I do this to protect them incase of police questioning. (God forbid!!) This may help prove to law enforcement that the caregiver has no part in what is in the house, plants or dried material.

Oh, other tips I forgot to add (don't know the verification of their effectiveness). I have read these from searching all over the web to get a better knowledge of this myself. I mean, hell, the laws change like every week!

-Make prominent signage on growroom doors. Don't allow minors in there.
-post your recommendation, the recs of those you are growing for and signed copies of agreements of co-operation with these patients. The forms are in template form on Americans for Safe Access pages.
-keep all parphernalia (sp, sorry!) away from kids, high on a shelf. Together. Not scattered. Don't leave butane cans, pipe cleaners, etc.. around. Keep things in one centralized place and label it "for personal use" on the box or boxes.
-label EVERY jar of buds or concentrate "for personal use only" and give it the strain name and date. Looks much more official if EVER questioned and I think ASA said there were other reasons to do so...
-never ever keep firearms at the home, or anywhere remotely near a cannabis user. This is especially important if you are protecting the innocent lives of kids. Getting put away in jail will affect not just you, but your kids and it's not fair.

I'm looking forward to keep reading others coping strategies and other ways we try to protect ourselves and our family. Even living in a legal state, better to be hyper-sensitive these days, right?

My 7 1/2 year old is fully aware that I "medicate" and that I have a prescription for mummies medicine. I used to smoke joints and bowls outside but since I bought a volcano and it's not easily transported outside, I just leave it in my room and shut my door and vape with my window open. He knows not to come in my room when my door is shut and he knows not to mess with anything "medicine." I'm weird about hiding things from him and and to be 100% honest with him so if he has any questions I can answer. And since I've been more open about it, he has lost complete interest and way less curious.

I love that Jenny. This is exactly my method too. Thanks for sharing!

Mod note: Please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located near the lower right of your posts. Posts merged.

keepsake

Soul Searchin`
Am I irresponsible for vaping around my 4 yr old sons? I only use the Solo when they're in my room so it's not like I'm blowing huge ass clouds filling the room up with vapor. I'm getting thin, but very tasty, hits with the Solo on 3. I don't see any harm.. I'm not blowing it into their faces. They don't even pay the Solo any attention.

Who all are parent vapers?

Modnote: The following 10 posts have been merged into the thread.

keepsake,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I don't have kids yet but i feel that as i grew older, i understood a lot more about things i watched as a kid and did not pay attention since i did not comprehend the situation.

Kids can understand violence on movies, even without understanding what is being said or done, body language is problably part of the explanation for this IMO.

I don't think that there is harm if you mean "physical harm", but they might find it weird and ask themselves what are you doing without asking.

If the kids are old enough to understand things, like teenagers, if you do it in front of them, then you should have a talk with them or not do it in front of them.

Cannabis, caffeine, alcohol are seen as not as harmfull as hard drugs.. but when a kid is still developing his brain, it is harmfull if they use it regularly.

And if you do it without hiding and without explaining this to them.. don't think it's weird if they end up using cannabis earlier than they should.

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
When I first got injured I left the house to smoke and that was not easy and it was often. I was told by my therapist at the time to tell him the truth he was 7. He is now almost 15 and we have no issue with vaping or smoking when I still did. He knows I need it and when I flip out he is the first one to point out that I need to medicate. He has no interest in trying it or anything else. I answer anything he asks. The truth set me free and it will set you free as well.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I finally told my oldest (18)...she just never asked and it was time. Bottom line is our kids don't care what we do. They are trying to keep their own shit under locks, so they just don't think much about what we are doing.

The next day some of us were using in front of the knowledgable kids. I like to get ahead of the curve and be the one introducing my kids to stuff instead of their friends, so this is working out quite well so far. My oldest really appreciated it and we are closer because of it.

The most profound advice (and I've sought out a lot) on this issue was from a 20-something who was raised by hippies. I asked him if his parents' usage was ever an issue for them and he said 'I don't think it matters what you are doing as long as it is used to bring the family together.' That's become one of my favorite parenting mantras now. Secrets and hiding divide. Openness and education bring together.

I haven't changed my usage patterns. I'm not looking for an excuse to have drugs out all day in front of everyone (I'm a recreational user). But now it is not done in secret, just private.

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Thanks for keeping this thread alive and more of your insights! My son is nearly 2 and both of us vape. I am going to try to go the truth route (that I use it medicinally and recreationally) I also have an old Iolite that I bought on Ebay so when it is time and the right circumstance presents (such as my son being old enough and /or having a chest cold) I am going to show him how you can vape essential oils like eucalyptus and chamomile in it. Parenting is tough!

lwien

My issue when I was raising my kids wasn't that I was exposing them to me using weed in general. Hell, if I could have a can of beer in front of my kids, what's the difference in smoking or vaping bud? The difference is...............legality. How and SHOULD you teach your kids that they should obey only the laws that they agree with? THAT was my concern in regards to this issue.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I think it's pretty easy for the parents that do not involve themselves in their child's lives. Until that comes back to bite them in the ass, which it eventually will.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The difference is...............legality. How and SHOULD you teach your kids that they should obey only the laws that they agree with? THAT was my concern in regards to this issue.

I don't think breaking the law by consuming cannabis is going to turn my kids toward being blatant lawbreakers that causes them distress in life. Speeding, picking up my dog's shit, smoking pot...they're all breaking laws, although they obviously have different consequences. Personally, I don't want my kids obeying laws just because they are laws. I'm going to counsel them to find a place to live that fits their lifestyle or go about changing the laws they don't like rather than be a slave to laws they don't agree with.

keepsake...I had to read that sentence several time to get the true intent. The first thing i thought was 'OH SHIT!'

keepsake

Soul Searchin`
I use my Solo around my 4 yr old twin boys all the time.
They ask me what the buds are and before I can reply, they decide the buds are spiders.
So every time I am using the Solo, they ask "daddy, you're blowing spiders?"
I say yup. They go "oh, cool!" And pays the 12min session no mind.

keepsake,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well i would be worried if i was smoking near a kid... Vaporizing is the right example to show :) !

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Buildozer

lwien

I don't think breaking the law by consuming cannabis is going to turn my kids toward being blatant lawbreakers that causes them distress in life. Speeding, picking up my dog's shit, smoking pot...they're all breaking laws, although they obviously have different consequences. Personally, I don't want my kids obeying laws just because they are laws. I'm going to counsel them to find a place to live that fits their lifestyle or go about changing the laws they don't like rather than be a slave to laws they don't agree with.
Totally agree with you on teaching them to actively change the laws that they don't agree with, or moving to a place that fits their lifestyle, but breaking MJ laws, especially the laws as they existed in my state back in the 80 and 90's when the penalties were rather hard..........like jail time, I preferred not to condone a practice to them that could eventually cause them great distress over the years.

Both of them are 32 now. One vapes with me on a regular basis. The other doesn't partake at all..........just doesn't like getting high.....on anything.

Top Bottom