Oregon votes in November on legalizing it!

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Today An Oregonian story on what looks to me as @t-dub 's farm friend. Actually, there are pic of more Oregon farms at the link.
Its probably more like this one . . . ;)

These quotes from the article are so true . . .
The Oregonian said:
Oregon is the "Saudi Arabia of marijuana." . . .

The heart of the industry is in southern Oregon, where growers have plenty of sun and rural isolation.

"You can't compete with the quantity and quality produced in southern Oregon," says Crawford, the OSU expert who has extensively researched the area's marijuana culture. He says many growers have been producing pot for decades, perfecting their strains . . .
--- Not t-dub's farm friend but similar ---
-8d70a2b9824a35bd.jpg

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Last edited:

It's amazing how much more sense that makes. Hope WA can reform before all the revenue gets sucked into OR :\

(WA's 25% taxation at every level keeps recreational prices very high and allows the black market to thrive. It's not enough to have a legal alternative, it has to be competitively priced to the market as well.)

Last edited:

nihil

Member, Known Well
I'm one of those people that is pissed. We voted. We specified $35/ounce. I personally feel that we have the best recreational use legislation out of the "Free 4." Now these fucks are going to start toying with it.. and I see that as a slippery slope.

Let me put it from a recreational users perspective. For the last 15 or so years, I've seen cannabis fluctuate from $10/gram down to roughly $5/gram. This is for what most would consider top shelf (I'm pretty sure Oregon has had this reputation for many decades, there's seriously some good shit here).

Lately, there has been talk amongst my casual use friends of traveling up to Washington and paying anywhere from $20-50/gram. I saw this myself back in November when I ventured up there and also witnessed people seemingly happy to pay these prices.

Not me. Why would I when I can still call Bob, meet him an hour later and have better material for a quarter of the price. Bob's supply is also consistent. Hell, in 3 weeks (July 1st) Bob can legally "gift" me an ounce. So what is going to happen with people like me? We are still going to be doing what we have always been doing, and that will result in a loss for the state. Worse, I'm still relegated as a scofflaw. Bullshit.

Sorry for the rant.. just tired of people trying to tell me what I can do with my body. Then, when I can finally do what I want legally, they want to bleed me for yet another dollar.

Last edited:

Gunky

Yeah. Right now the war all but over and in move the greedy carpetbaggers. I think we should be aiming for the 'tomato model' propounded by Ed Rosenthal:
More tomatoes are grown in America by home gardeners than are produced commercially. Yet there is a robust commercial market for tomatoes and tomato products of all types: canned, vine-ripened, organic, sauces, soups, ketchup, etc. At the same time, small-scale specialty cultivators do well selling their produce at Farmers’ Markets, and home gardeners with extra tomatoes share the bounty with neighbors as gifts, in trade, or through informal sales. Marijuana could be handled in the same way. Commercial growers can thrive side-by-side with home and specialty cultivators.

http://edrosenthal.com/2009/12/ask-ed-marijuana-grow-tip-15-the-tomato-model.html

My opinion: taxes should be paid. Because growers and traders of cannabis want to do their bit, just like everyone else making income, to support our infrastructure, our educational system, etc. Because paying taxes is part of coming out of the shadows and being respectable. On the other hand, taxes cannot exceed the sort of thing done to alcohol or the biz goes underground. Multiple layers of rapacious taxes changing independently of each other are going to lead to chaos and crime.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Oregon news: Washington pot not priority for Portland police
There is one issue: The federal "Cole Memo" enforcement priority regarding marijuana crossing state lines, but Portland police say they're focused on "large scale operations"

Last edited:

little maggie

Oregon news: Washington pot not priority for Portland police
There is one issue: The federal "Cole Memo" enforcement priority regarding marijuana crossing state lines, but Portland police say they're focused on "large scale operations"
I've never been in a dispensary with the option to choose what I want. I am not getting a medical card because of possible complications. It seems a trip across the border to Washington- where I work anyway- might be in order.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Oregonians may be able to purchase Legal Weed this October

The joint House and Senate committee that's been hashing out recreational marijuana laws this legislative session just unanimously passed a bill that would let non-medical pot users buy up to a quarter-ounce of pot a day from Portland's ever-growing stable of medical dispensaries. If it's voted into law by the full house and senate, and signed by Gov. Kate Brown, you'd be able to purchase dispensary pot in October.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Portland Police issue a very Portland guide ahead of marijuana legalization

Oregon is just days away from legalizing recreational marijuana, and the Portland Police Bureau is explaining just how much weed you can carry in the most Portland way possible -- by comparing it to a Voodoo doughnut. A Voodoo doughnut is Portland's answer to Krispy Cream. The last time I stayed out late (2:30 am) there was a 2-block line for Voodoo's doughnuts.

voodoo.jpg

Last edited:

CarolKing

I welcome Oregon's competition in prices for the WA cannabis rec shops. I'm hoping eventually the rec prices will be between $7 and $10 a gram. Maybe between $150 - $180 per ounce.

WA needs to lower the taxes and have a flat amount of tax per ounce.

little maggie

For some reason dispensaries are popping up on almost every block where I live. They are advertising in the Willamette Week. I don't get it. It's going to be quite a while before most people can buy from one of those stores. Are they expecting a massive influx of medical marijuana users now that it's legal?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
For some reason dispensaries are popping up on almost every block where I live.
Yes, there are many new dispensaries opening however they have a very high attrition rate. The situation is we have a lot of people that maybe know how to grow weed, or can get it in bulk, but they have never run a legitimate business that is highly regulated by the state. This leads to miscalculations and mistakes and many of them are going out of business quickly. My first tenant never even got the doors open before running out of money and failing completely. Looks like October will see recreational sales in dispensaries, thats not too far off, especially if you are just starting the process of opening a business.

Last edited:

gangababa

Yes, there are many new dispensaries however they have a very high attrition rate. The situation is ... is highly regulated by the state. This leads to miscalculations and mistakes and many of them are going out of business quickly. ...

And then there are those who manage to open stores in (likely) expensive stately old home buildings near the local university, so we can assume money is flowing.
BUT, why must I wait til October which is not yet guarantied, while the local south valley rag features its "Annual Cannabis Issue" with plenty of dispensary advertizing.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
And then there are those who manage to open stores in (likely) expensive stately old home buildings near the local university, so we can assume money is flowing. BUT, why must I wait til October which is not yet guarantied . . .

Never assume anything about cash flow in a business you don't own and can't see the books on. Retail space is retail space, the rents will vary according to quality, this includes things like eyeball appeal, neighboring businesses, neighborhood, number of traffic drive bys etc, but its just making sure the math works out. Yes there is a lot of new money flowing into the sector, but there is even more waiting on the sidelines, a lot of it from out of state. Money waiting for people to fail so it can swoop in and buy the remnants for cheap. This includes shopping centers, strip malls and commercial property as well.

Part of the reason you have to wait is for OLCC to make sure dispensaries are following all the rules regarding security systems, safes, testing, doors, locks, cameras, etc. There are a lot of rules.

This business is extremely lucrative, even with just medical patients. Throw in the recreational crowd and a properly run dispensary becomes a license to print money.

As @macbill pointed out above the amendment allowing October recreational sales passed committee unanimously. It will likely be incorporated into law quickly.

Last edited:

little maggie

Depends on the location; I would think yes if near the washington boarder (recreational tho?) :tup:
I live in urban SE Portland. Several months ago, when I was trying to decide whether to go for a medical card, there were only a few dispensaries and they looked like medical offices. Now every few blocks someone has rented an empty building in a mixed residential area (that's the area I live in with stores and restaurants and homes.) Haven't seen any in old buildings yet and I suspect most students know where to find non-dispensary supplies. It's the advertising that's interesting. Things like offers for first time buyers to pay less per ounce etc.

CarolKing

I Live in SW Washington and there are medical dispensaries everywhere. Just in a 10 mile radius are 15 just in the area where I live. With the new law regarding medical there will be far less. Not really sure how things will eventually look like?

I don't know how many people will continue to get medical mj cards? They are trying to lump everybody into rec cannabis.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Oregon Is Celebrating Marijuana Legalization With Free Weed
The Oregonian reports that the Portland chapter of NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) will celebrate the momentous event by gathering on the west side of the Burnside Bridge at 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 30. At midnight (therefore July 1), all 21+ adults with ID will be given free marijuana and cannabis seeds, courtesy of medical marijuana providers and activists.

ginolicious

Having plants would be amazing. I wish they would do that in Toronto.

I could live with 3 plants tops lol. 1 mother, 1 vegging, 1 flowering. Haha.

Top Bottom