• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

One of these things is not like the other.

supreme_cloud

Vapor only
This is kind of my "Grinds my gears" type of thread.

Feel free to post other half truths and misconceptions here, I don't need it to stay on topic with my rant.

With that out of the way, on to fuck combustion..

I have several friends that have recently switched to wax/dabbing.
The way I usually find out is they no longer want to vape.
My guess is because their tolerance has skyrocketed kinda like mine did when I switched from smoking to vaping and they don't see the point.
That's their problem for using such a high dose without the real need for it IMHO.

My problem is that several of the newly converted dabbers are trying to tell me that dabbing is vaporizing.
I have to disagree, and my explanation should be common sense IMO, but must not be because they never seemed to view it my way until I explained how it isn't vaping.

I have to say something like:
Vaporizers use a controlled temperature that you don't go above to risk burning.

When you dab, you heat the nail up until it glows red..I'm sure that is well over 400 degrees F.

They are not the same at all.
Is this a common misconception or do I have "dim" friends?

I thought about making a poll to show them y'all's opinion is the same as mine~I assume~but I want this thread to continue on about more than just this subject that grinds my gears.

Discuss?

supreme_cloud,
Reactions: CarolKing

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
This is kind of my "Grinds my gears" type of thread.

Feel free to post other half truths and misconceptions here, I don't need it to stay on topic with my rant.

With that out of the way, on to fuck combustion..

I have several friends that have recently switched to wax/dabbing.
The way I usually find out is they no longer want to vape.
My guess is because their tolerance has skyrocketed kinda like mine did when I switched from smoking to vaping and they don't see the point.
That's their problem for using such a high dose without the real need for it IMHO.

My problem is that several of the newly converted dabbers are trying to tell me that dabbing is vaporizing.
I have to disagree, and my explanation should be common sense IMO, but must not be because they never seemed to view it my way until I explained how it isn't vaping.

Vaporizers use a controlled temperature that you don't go above to risk burning.

When you dab, you heat the nail up until it glows red..I'm sure that is well over 400 degrees F.

They are not the same at all.
Is this a common misconception or do I have "dim" friends?

I thought about making a poll to show them y'all's opinion is the same as mine~I assume~but I want this thread to continue on about more than just this subject that grinds my gears.

Discuss?
We have many long time vapor aficionados who post often here on FC who both dab regularly and vape flower just as regularly and enjoy both. Yes, tolerance over time using either is always a factor, but to those well-experienced and in-the-know, all product is knowledgeably regulated so as to be able to continue enjoying all chosen product. One need not preclude the other, nor should tolerance ever be a reason for going back to combustion. IMO, one should never overdue to the point where tolerance goes through the roof. Enjoy or medicate within a reasonable range of tolerance and moderation is the key.:2c::2c::peace:

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Lots of people here do not heat a nail till it glows red. Also many use vapes to dab, Vapexhale evo, Sublimintor, @Caligula and his famous E-Nano vids, Da buddah, Versa Infinity, Persei, Thermovape, and more. Lo-temp dabs have become pretty big. Carb caps have become pretty popular too.

I disagree that dabbing is not vaping, even when using Ti nail, Nector Collector, Aardvark by Vaperblunt type of devices that need manual heating. Can you over heat---surely. But by using the above mentioned methods by no means equates to combustion.

I feel those who prefer concentrates are getting a bad rep(not personally but in the public eye). It's like they're treated like "potheads". Wait...What??!

Enjoy you meds or recreationals, however you use them(responsibly)!!

Caligula

Maximus
@supreme_cloud, et al...

When you do a proper low temp dab you are using the Leidenfrost Effect to slowly boil off and vaporize the oil, rather than combusting it. It's very easy to taste/feel the difference between a properly done dab and one done on too hit of a nail.

FWIW, VB found that about 700°F was ideal for achieving the Leidenfrost Effect, and that's typically what I also dab at (or slightly lower for small dabs).

Point being is that if you're doing it right, you're still vaping even with a torch and nail.

2 Paces

This doesn't help prove your argument. Most vapes go over 400 F, some don't have controlled temps, and combustion is a risk in a lot of them too.

I have five different vapes, and I could combust in four of them if I wanted to.

I've never had concentrates, so I don't know if I consider it vaping. But I always thought it was heating the material up to get the goodies without actually burning the material, so I thought it would qualify as vaping. :shrug:

supreme_cloud

Vapor only
Thank you all for your input. :)

The only argument I have with my newfound knowledge of low temp dabbing would be:
How do you know the temprature the nail is at?

Maybe I need to research those other vapes that were listed; except for VapeX..been there and had a bad experience.

I have a vape that it's easy to over do the temprature and combust, but that's why I love an accurate/predictible temprature display.

This is also the first I've heard about people hitting 700 degrees and not having the material start to burn.

I'm still learning here apparently.
Maybe I'll teach my friends something about dabbing from what I learn for you all.

They must not know any other way than red hot, or just prefer it for whatever reason.
Just going by what I see them do..

Last edited:
supreme_cloud,
Reactions: Snappo

SD_haze

Thank you all for your input. :)
I'm still learning here apparently.
Maybe I'll teach my friends something about dabbing from what I learn for you all.

They must not know any other way than red hot, or just prefer it for whatever reason.
Just going by what I see them do..
Red hot nail dabbing is a fantastic sign that the person does not know what they are doing.

When the nail is red hot, it can make giant plumes of exhale cloud, which honesly IMO resembles junkies freebasing meth bongs. When you do a proper, fully volatilized, low-temp dab, the glass milks but the exhale is much more mild, resembling more the exhale of a flower vaporizer.

Also,
RE: knowing the nails temperature,
-Some people use laser thermometers. I've heard someone claim there is a delay and it's not accurate enough, but could be wrong.
-Some dabbers just have it down to an art. Lots of trial-and-error learning watching how fast the nail drops from red glow to no glow. Different nails cool at different speeds so one's daily-driver nail tends to work the best.
-The new trend is using an electric nail that keeps the temperature at a consistent, measurable temperature. An E-Nail. Dozens of different companies making them (some of which are just a dude and a garage)

Caligula

Maximus
The taste and feel between a proper low temp, carb'd dab and that of a red hot combusted dab is similar to that of a perfectly vaped bowl and one you burned with a lighter.

FWIW my digital IR thermometer is more than accurate enough (+/- 2%) to gauge dab temp and it polls temp reading multiple times each second. There is no significant lag.

Also don't rule out the VX Nail. That thing is pretty tits for concentrates.

Last edited:

supreme_cloud

Vapor only
Red hot nail dabbing is a fantastic sign that the person does not know what they are doing.

When the nail is red hot, it can make giant plumes of exhale cloud, which honesly IMO resembles junkies freebasing meth bongs. When you do a proper, fully volatilized, low-temp dab, the glass milks but the exhale is much more mild, resembling more the exhale of a flower vaporizer.

Also,
RE: knowing the nails temperature,
-Some people use laser thermometers. I've heard someone claim there is a delay and it's not accurate enough, but could be wrong.
-Some dabbers just have it down to an art. Lots of trial-and-error learning watching how fast the nail drops from red glow to no glow. Different nails cool at different speeds so one's daily-driver nail tends to work the best.
-The new trend is using an electric nail that keeps the temperature at a consistent, measurable temperature. An E-Nail. Dozens of different companies making them (some of which are just a dude and a garage)
I think I want to own an E-Nail now..what just happened? :tinfoil:

Caligula

Maximus
I think I want to own an E-Nail now..what just happened? :tinfoil:

SUSZTpY.gif

Bill-Nye-science.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom