Old News? 'Weeds' No Longer to Support ANY Un-LICENCED!

ejackyou

Hamilton
This may not affect Many, but it will really impact Me! :rant:
No More easy access to dealers and their menus! :rant:
No websites either!:rant:

ejackyou,

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
This may not affect Many, but it will really impact Me! :rant:
No More easy access to dealers and their menus! :rant:
No websites either!:rant:
?? Is ether a link or something? Not sure how they're going to block the interweb? China?

YaMon,

Tranquility

@Stu pointed to my post linking to an article on the issue. For another view (From that article.) on potential outcome:

https://mjbizdaily.com/weedmaps-to-...bis-fbi-probes-mj-industry-mo-licensing-odds/
Weedmaps to stop advertising unlicensed businesses

The influential marijuana site Weedmaps, which is one of the most popular cannabis consumer platforms on the internet, apparently drew to a close a year-and-a-half standoff with California regulators over its advertisements for illegal MJ sellers.

The Irvine, California-based company announced in a news release that it would start requiring a state license number for all retail ads going forward, starting “later this year.”
MJBizDaily takeaway: Multiple sources in the California marijuana industry were skeptical that Weedmaps might fully follow through with its promise, pointing to how those ads for illicit MJ firms have likely brought in millions of dollars in revenue for the company.

Additionally, there’s a lack of detail in the statement that announced the pivot, such as exactly when the platform will stop carrying ads for illegal cannabis businesses.

Nicole Elliott, the cannabis industry czar for California Gov. Gavin Newsom, expressed support for the move but underlined that “the devil is in the details.”​

Tranquility,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I see nothing wrong with this. It's how it should be.

Was Weedmaps letting un-licensed places advertise in other state's prior to the California ruling?

Silver420Surfer,

Tranquility

I see nothing wrong with this. It's how it should be.

Was Weedmaps letting un-licensed places advertise in other state's prior to the California ruling?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

While it seems clear the speech is "commercial" and can have reasonable time, place and manner restrictions; doesn't requiring a government license to speak or commercially speak seem a bit of a problem?

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
@OldNewbie Why should an unlicensed cannabis shop be allowed to advertise it''s illegal products to the marketplace? Am i missing some logic here?

Should I,too, be able to advertise my "unlicensed" cannabis business on Weedmaps?
This seems like a non-argument to me. I'm sure someone else will gladly argue with you from below your soapbox, but I don't care to. Have a great day

Edit: Read the OP, clearly these are illegal dealers trying to sell shitty products in a regulated market. Zero sympathy for cunts like that.

Silver420Surfer,

Tranquility

@OldNewbie Why should an unlicensed cannabis shop be allowed to advertise it''s illegal products to the marketplace? Am i missing some logic here?

Should I,too, be able to advertise my "unlicensed" cannabis business on Weedmaps?
This seems like a non-argument to me. I'm sure someone else will gladly argue with you from below your soapbox, but I don't care to. Have a great day

Edit: Read the OP, clearly these are illegal dealers trying to sell shitty products in a regulated market. Zero sympathy for cunts like that.

Yes, they should. Congress shall make no law...

What makes the products "illegal"? Lack of proper licensing.

Those illegal dealers trying to sell shitty products in a regulated market were many of the same people taking care of medical (As well as other.) users in the past.

Fucking "cunts".

I think everyone agrees this regulated weed is far superior to the shitty product that used to be around. The number of deaths and injuries have been reduced to unprecedented levels since the safety of regulations have come into play.

The bottom line is that it is not about cunts or shitty products or soapboxes, but the bottom line. Those who profit from the regulations like them and those who don't, don't. I remember the drug warriors of the past who would love this despotic power over communications. The cool part will be if the federal government took such a position. "Look here, cunts. You need a license to advertise your cannabis. Cannabis is illegal so no licenses for anyone so no advertising, no weedmaps, no FC."

Do you think Weedmaps should be able to exist at all? If so, how can the government require a license for them to speak?

Tranquility

I thought Weedmaps made a strategic decision based on litigation costs. However, it seems they want in as a licensee as well. (Which would give the cannabis board control over them.) At least, some of the (allegedly) former principals want in.

https://mjbizdaily.com/weedmaps-lin...venture-poised-to-proceed-in-west-sacramento/

The legal payoff:
Omar Figueroa, a longtime California marijuana industry attorney, said he’d be surprised if Beals and Francis didn’t retain any ownership in the business venture they helped get off the ground.

When MJBizDaily reported that the city had approved DICA’s business plan – with Francis and Beals at the helm – the question that arose was whether the BCC would issue a business license to DICA since this was uncharted legal waters in California’s newly launched regulatory system.

At the time, Beals and Francis were still in defiance of a BCC cease-and-desist letter demanding that Weedmaps stop advertising for unlicensed MJ retailers.

But Beals and Francis did not submit an application to the state seeking a distribution permit for DICA, a BCC spokesman confirmed.

That makes sense, said Figueroa.

The two Weedmaps executives “have every incentive not to be forthright in their reporting,” Figueroa said.

“One, they don’t want to get denied (a state license) and two, they don’t want to become a licensee of the BCC” because that could make them subject to the same authority they flaunted last spring by defying the BCC’s cease-and-desist letter, Figueroa said.

“They want to have their cake and eat it, too,” he said.​

Tranquility,
Reactions: macbill

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I'm sure its just coincidence, but according to the latest reports there are over two hundred vapers hospitalized and the first actual death from what authorities believe is tainted oil product sold by unlicensed unregulated uninspected manufacturers and sellers. I suspect that weedmaps realizes that if anyone uses their service to access such harmful product, they could be sued. Plus be morally responsible for all these hospitalizations and possible deaths.

Meanwhile the people cutting corners to maximize profits could care less if someone is hurt. They are the same people who sell opioids and fentanyl.

Tranquility

I'm sure its just coincidence, but according to the latest reports there are over two hundred vapers hospitalized and the first actual death from what authorities believe is tainted oil product sold by unlicensed unregulated uninspected manufacturers and sellers. I suspect that weedmaps realizes that if anyone uses their service to access such harmful product, they could be sued. Plus be morally responsible for all these hospitalizations and possible deaths.

Meanwhile the people cutting corners to maximize profits could care less if someone is hurt. They are the same people who sell opioids and fentanyl.
They can be sued if someone uses them to point to a legal dispensary and buys there then smokes in the lot and drives off and gets killed. Or, under any of a number of such scenarios. I'm not sure its the duty of weedmaps to assure noting bad happens from the information they provide.

Don't get me wrong, you can certainly make a case. It's just that once you start finding liability down that road, there's going to be a LOT of cases coming down.

It won't be just on weedmaps either.

hans solo

Left coast Canada
Maybe it’s just me or my location but I find Weedmaps is lacking and inaccurate for the information I am seeking. A google search yields far more relevant information.

Top Bottom