Discontinued Old City Diffusers

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Lo said:
lol Jeff! I was just thinking about you the other day! Yeah I'm hooked on the LR306 crack from Cisco myself lol.

Thanks, let me know when you hear... curious how progress is going.

Hey Lo....Continuing on this unrelated direction while we're waiting for the OCD's: One of the things I appreciate with the 306's is that they last longer than the 510's - I'm on my third week with a 306 which usually never happens with a 510 - the 510's after a week or so start tasting harsh and not flavorful regardless of any cleaning technique I've tried. I rationalized that $8 for an atty every other week is still a lot cheaper than analogues and definitely cheaper than chemotherapy. I need two pairs of pliers to yank out the drip tip from the 306's but you can still blow them out to clean with the tip connected so I hardly do that.
What flavors are you enjoying these days?
Progress on this end is I think it's been six months since I've smoked a cigarette. I don't even keep track of the days; my daughter claims to have my exact quit date but she has a tendency to talk a good story.

jeffp,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I was just thinking about this vape. Glad the manufacture is taking his time to get it right. In the end, i think i just got to have one of these, it looks so damn cool. It makes me want to buy a plot of land with a little cabin in northern michigan and put this bad boy up there. It looks rustic, and oh so awesome.

IAmKrazy2,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Congrats on 6 months Jeff!! Yeah not all attys are built the same. I get 3-4 weeks out of the cisco one's I use too, he sends higher quality nichrome to factory and has tighter specs. Costs more but totally worth it to me. Tip for getting drip tip off. A slender knife inserted where the drip tip & atty meet - use as a lever to unseat the drip tip, just a slight tilt of the blade is all it takes. Works like a charm. Used to have to ask husband to remove them until he taught me the trick. Oh and I'm still doing banana now with tad of strawberry. I am using all natural flavorings too and enjoying it. Lol - wow that was off topic - Sorry for our derail! I just love seeing another quitter ROFL!

Back to waiting for OCD. I am too pleased to see him reworking things and looking forward.

Lo,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
jumping on the derail:

I've got bauway 306s, high res for use with my infinity. Love em!

Have you tried shearing away the mesh wick? Until I did this, I wasn't getting the best airflow. Leave the bridge on, and the little fiber wicks beneath the bridge, but shear away the mesh stuff, and you'll be a happy camper :)

And I'm awaiting the arrival of a clear cannon from cherryvapes. I've got boring delrin on now and really, what's the point?

Though avidvaper does have a 306->510 drip tip converter; a sheath of delrin atop which a 510 drip tip can fit... or a juice feeder...

Orestes,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
expanding on the derail...

Do you like the bauway as much as cisco 306LRs?
When you say shear at the mesh wick, do you shear it off or do you shear it to a thinner state?
How do you get in there - what type of tool do you use?

jeffp,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Hello All!,

Off Topic: Just finished an environmental research project on Thursday that had taken up allll my time for the past couple months but that is all said and done. Unfortunately, I'm been sick for about 3 weeks and finally had time yesterday to go to the doctors, and what do ya know? there closed, irony.... anyway, I hope I don't sound grumpy or anything, but I'll get over it soon enough.

On Topic: The heaters have been fully built at the factory, I received a test batch for fitting purposes as I mentioned before and they seem to fit and work fine, The prototype was set up and the earthenware insulator but the samples that were sent were only testing at 22.5 watts, I believe we will need 30 watts for the final heating element but the good news is that the heating element is a done deal, The samples I received were great and should work great with the new design.

A little more on the new design; the new changes made to the diffuser might entail an external heating element encased in glass. So what does that mean for air flow? The new heating element that was designed actually allows the air to travel through the heating element. The ambient air will pass through an orifice in the tubing that covers the heating element and will travel through the top of the heating element, traveling down towards the base of the heater and into the ceramic insulator, and out through the side of the OCD. This air flow pattern allows the air to come into contact with more surface area of the heating element rather the just let the air travel over the exterior of the tubular heating element. I will post some pictures up as I tweak the designs this weekend. I'm really going to be hammering down on the design this week as I continue to wait for the manufacturer of the insulator to get back to me.

The wait: Unfortunately a design change that entails a completely custom ceramic insulator to be built was going to take lead time for me to design, lead time for them to set up molds and then have them built. The problem I ran into with the engineers is that I want the wires that lead to the heating element to be isolated from the airflow, Now these are ROHS compliant heaters per factory specifications but I wanted the safety in knowing that the wires wouldn't touch each other and they would be out of the air path, pretty much a safety precaution. The engineers are deciding (from what they told me) what would be the best way to tackle this job, because of the complexity of the design, it will be slightly difficult to make those 1mm holes all the way through the ceramic heater, while keeping costs down. I will keep you updated as I hear back and we should see some progress now that I can re-devote my time to OCD, but the waiting on the factory was inevitable this last months. Hopefully they'll have those problems figured out, because it is out of my hands for the time being, and this waiting is making me anxious, as it is to all of you I'm sure. But you guys & gals have been extremely patient and I thank you for that!

I'll be focusing on things that I can change while waiting on those factory parts, I know this design has the ceramic heater which I love, I just personally hate relying on someone to do the work for me and do it in a punctual fashion. I promise that if sometime down the line I can do this type of work in-house, I will. I would love to be a self-sufficient business (at least in relative terms), It would be nice to have everything done under my roof but certian technologies like electronics and ceramic forming is just out of my hands, and I'm sorry for that.

I'll be working on Muslin bags, adapters, catch-cans, I even have a screen printing area set up and some funny designs - I'm sure I'll throw in some T's when the new vaporizers go out. I don't want you guys/gals to think I'm focusing on the ancillaries, but when a major part of the OCD unit is out of my hands at the moment, it would be folly not to focus on these types of refinements, and there is small satisfaction because I'll be working on the things you all suggested, other then the T-shirts, that's probably just the ego of the business shining through lol.

Well be back more frequently now that the research project is over and sent away (no more soil tests!). I am always quicker to get a hold of through my email and usually always respond, even on the go. But will try to come back here more often. If somehow I make some drastic change, which I hope not to do because of the expense of this ceramic insulator design, I will let you all know. I'm trying to be as transparent as possible in designing and letting you guys know what's going on because in the end we will hopefully all benefit, with a healthy diffuser / vaporizer and a long lasting "green" business....

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

You can see that there is a hole all the way through the heating element, this hole is completely sealed in ceramic and this is where the air path will travel through. I designed the heater to minimize the heating zone to the latter half of the heating element, so the base of it will not experience high temperatures because it will be attached to the base of the ceramic insulator, which will reduce the heat dispersion and keep the entire body of the OCD from experiencing any heat issues. The heater itself is only about 40mm long and the opening for air travel is just over 2.5mm, If all goes well the size of the heating element and the hole allowed for air travel should be the right size for the OCD vapor tube herb capacity. I will post any changes or add-on's that is deemed necessary for sufficient vaporizing

Old City Diffusers,
Reactions: IAmKrazy2

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Thanks for the long awaited update. I was beginning to wonder what happened to you. It's good to know that youre still in the development stage, and getting closer to a production mode/model. I'm an MZ owner and as such I'm one that loves the natural organic wood look, and you certainly achieved that and then some. I also like the ability to adjust the temp; its all good. :D
I'll continue subscribing to this thread for updates. I really want to get another vape to supplement and be an adjunct to my MZ. As I said, I want to stick to a wood vape VS the more clinical looking ones. My new vape will be either a VaporTower (VaporStore) or the OCD. Right now I'm leaning toward the OCD.
Keep up the good work.

Lycanthrope,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Hey everybody!
I was ready to write up a long winded explanation of everything that is going on here at OCD, but I have gotten so many requests for a video of the original design that I felt that I owed you guys at least a demonstration of the new concept.

The videos themselves are not the best, They were shot from my camera phone. With the combination of camera phone + my generally nervousness in front of a camera = an awkward experience... But i figured what the hell... I'll try it. I gave it my best for now, not the best at networking and PR stuff... so fire away.

The videos cover a lot of the new stuff going on, if you have any specific questions just shoot me an email or post up on here and I'll try my best to respond quickly.

EDIT: Tried to embed these videos but did not show up... anybody know how to get these to pop up on the forum? Old style embedding does not work, new style zilch as well..

http://youtu.be/9OTKwXF4iss

http://youtu.be/CS-fymhr1VQ

Mod note: Sorry, but links only for videos.

Old City Diffusers,

hereatlast

Wes, those were great! Thanks for the run-down, the video format worked out very well IMO (quality was good and you were able to get your point across very well). Don't think you can embed here on FC but those links work fine.

Definitely cool to see the improvements, I'm so glad you decided to add a 14mm GonG-joint as an option. :tup:

Random aside: love the Buena Vista Social Club track on the second video...that song is actually my ring-tone (when my phones not on vibrate)! It started blaring on my speakers and I got really confused for a second while looking at my phone (I vaped with you in the first video :lol:). Thanks for the laugh.

Keep up the good work. :peace: :)

hereatlast,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
hereatlast said:
Wes, those were great! Thanks for the run-down, the video format worked out very well IMO (quality was good and you were able to get your point across very well). Don't think you can embed here on FC but those links work fine.

Definitely cool to see the improvements, I'm so glad you decided to add a 14mm GonG-joint as an option. :tup:

Random aside: love the Buena Vista Social Club track on the second video...that song is actually my ring-tone (when my phones not on vibrate)! It started blaring on my speakers and I got really confused for a second while looking at my phone (I vaped with you in the first video :lol:). Thanks for the laugh.

Keep up the good work. :peace: :)

thanks, I tried to do the best I could with what I have... hopefully someday I'll have a friend that is good at the video/PR stuff...

Buena Vista Social Club is one of my very favorite bands, its hard not to listen to their music and feel passionate about what your doing... at least to me, that is... making vaporizers.

Old City Diffusers,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks, enjoyed the video OCD. I really like your vapor wand. Seems a nice design. A beautifully looking vaporizer from an aesthetic standpoint no doubt. It seems to fit well, where it is unlikely to fall out when you move it. Is this correct? It appears in your first video you did not adjust the temp at all while using the OCD? I skipped a little portion, so i may be wrong.

How delicate is the top portion of the OCD, where the heating element is exposed? Probably more likely than not to break after a fall if it hits the top even without the glass heat sink plugged in? I have several current vapes that would break almost indefinitely during a drop, but with an obviously similar look to the PD/MZ, this may be something that will be a valid point of comparison.

IAmKrazy2,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
This is either a really cool idea, or a horrible idea...
I was pondering a way to make a vapor-cooling system and I wanted both glass and wood in the design. This super-rough prototype is made from local cypress, which is naturally mold and water resistant, this one is also sealed with beeswax and Acri-Soy Clear Bio-Based sealer, so my thoughts are it may actually work... I will begin testing this piece tomorrow.. This cypress is stained with a mahogany stain as well, cypress is naturally a honey color... water & wood might seem strange, but many liquids are still kept in wood storage containers (i.e.-wine, liquor, Tabasco, etc).. That is my simple logic, if kept clean the idea would probably work fine.. This was put together this morning using some scrap cypress, I do not like the profile of the design but I thought I could at least pass on the concept before I waste any more trees...

The design uses a 6 arm percolator, and has 3 slots in each arm for the vapor to travel through. The vapor enters through the very top, goes through the 6-arm percolator, into the water then out the mouth-piece, (the glass piece that parallels the ground is the mouthpiece). The top of the vapor tube glass piece would be connected to the OCD unit using a piece of .5" I.D. tubing... I'll have this hopefully setup tomorrow and see how well it works....

if this wooden housing design doesn't work i'll start exploring other ideas as well.. I have just been trying to get other work done while I wait for the ceramic insulators to show up... This again is a rough concept, put together in a rush.. If anyone is interested I will do another that is cleaner looking and I could make a more "finished" looking unit, that is if you like the concept...:peace:

vapor_cooling

vapor_cooling2

Old City Diffusers,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I think its a pretty awesome concept. A water filtered vape for travel and durability? Hmmmm

IAmKrazy2,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
IAmKrazy2 said:
Thanks, enjoyed the video OCD. I really like your vapor wand. Seems a nice design. A beautifully looking vaporizer from an aesthetic standpoint no doubt. It seems to fit well, where it is unlikely to fall out when you move it. Is this correct? It appears in your first video you did not adjust the temp at all while using the OCD? I skipped a little portion, so i may be wrong.

How delicate is the top portion of the OCD, where the heating element is exposed? Probably more likely than not to break after a fall if it hits the top even without the glass heat sink plugged in? I have several current vapes that would break almost indefinitely during a drop, but with an obviously similar look to the PD/MZ, this may be something that will be a valid point of comparison.

I am pretty clumsy, I have dropped this prototype about 5-6 times and that is me being careful. I never actually bumped it over but its usually me tripping over a power chord when i'm pacing around the shop...(must be the OCD) usually violently ripping the vaporizer to the floor; I never learn. Each time the unit fell it just fell on its side, never actually landing on the heating element itself and it has never broke. I imagine a 3-4 foot fall of a desk that landed directly onto the heating element could break it, its not invincible but that seems closer to an anomaly or at least bad luck and you could just send it back and I'd fix it for you. This is pure speculation but just holding the vaporizer, it does not seem to be "top heavy"... The weight of the chord and electronics housed in the bottom must be close to the same weight as the top, there doesn't appear to be any weight bias during the fall. It doesn't appear to want to fall "head" first like us humans want to..

EDIT: I thought I'd test it repeatedly until I could break something... Here is a short video for you, super boring? Yes. but it gets the job done..

IMPORTANT NOTE: The glass covers for the heating element will be very very economical.. There should be no reason why I couldn't supply an extra one with the set or offer them at a reasonable price if anyone is worried. In the grand scheme of things, its no biggie!

Here is the fall test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkTvlgKzBTw

Old City Diffusers,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks for the drop video. i know it is rather silly, but that video made me want the OCD that much more. Could also be a great bedside vape, with less worries then i thought while reaching near or for it in a dark room. I think its shape./design could work well while laying down maybe just slightly elevated in bed.

IAmKrazy2,

vap999

Old City Diffusers said:
water & wood might seem strange, but many liquids are still kept in wood storage containers (i.e.-wine, liquor, Tabasco, etc).. That is my simple logic, if kept clean the idea would probably work fine..

No one (other than yourself, if you decide to) should be inhaling vapor through water in contact with wet wood! Wet inherently-porous wood will very quickly harbor fungi/mold and bacteria, even without all of the inhaled air being filtered through the water repeatedly contaminating the water. How can wet wood possibly ever be "kept clean?" Just imagine a bong made out of wood.

Rather, you should consider using something with a smooth, inert, food-grade or other non-toxic surface, e.g., stainless steel, certain plastics, glass, etc.

The foods you cite as often stored in wood containers all are likely sealed (preserved) in their containers sterile, at high temperatures, and/or also have inherent anti-microbial activity, definitely the ethyl alcohol in the beer and wine and I presume the natural irritants/active agents in Tobasco. Yes, wood can be used for such things as food chopping blocks, salad bowls, etc. but here it is presumed that the surface will be regularly cleaned, dried and disinfected, e.g., the chopping block wiped down with bleach. I don't expect that this could be done with your setup, with whatever is used to clean and disinfect the wood likely leave residues or otherwise affect the vapor's taste/smell.

vap999,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
vap999 said:
Old City Diffusers said:
water & wood might seem strange, but many liquids are still kept in wood storage containers (i.e.-wine, liquor, Tabasco, etc).. That is my simple logic, if kept clean the idea would probably work fine..

No one (other than yourself, if you decide to) should be inhaling vapor through water in contact with wet wood! Wet inherently-porous wood will very quickly harbor fungi/mold and bacteria, even without all of the inhaled air being filtered through the water repeatedly contaminating the water. How can wet wood possibly ever be "kept clean?" Just imagine a bong made out of wood.

Rather, you should consider using something with a smooth, inert, food-grade or other non-toxic surface, e.g., stainless steel, certain plastics, glass, etc.

The foods you cite as often stored in wood containers all are likely sealed (preserved) in their containers sterile, at high temperatures, and/or also have inherent anti-microbial activity, definitely the ethyl alcohol in the beer and wine and I presume the natural irritants/active agents in Tobasco. Yes, wood can be used for such things as food chopping blocks, salad bowls, etc. but here it is presumed that the surface will be regularly cleaned, dried and disinfected, e.g., the chopping block wiped down with bleach. I don't expect that this could be done with your setup, with whatever is used to clean and disinfect the wood likely leave residues or otherwise affect the vapor's taste/smell.

I agree with some of what you have said, but not all. I do agree that the possibility of contamination from bacterial growth or fungi is higher with a wood substrate when compared with a glass or inert material. The wood that these are made from are kiln dried, the water content of the wood is less than 8% MC and are stabilized at this rate even sitting on my shelf and cypress itself is again naturally mold resistant - it literally grows in water here. Perhaps if you wanted me to I could run a test to see the differences in bacterial growth in both glass, wood, and a control to monitor dissolved oxygen rates in all to give a us an idea of bacterial growth if any. And these are not made for "bongs", I am imagining a wooden bong but these would be made for vapor cooling which is an inherently cleaner process. Any MC under 20% will drastically reduce the likely-hood of developing any of the conditions that you are concerned with and anything below 20% will not support mold growth (now constantly storing this with water in it 24/7 would raise that MC, had you no barrier or sealer between the two).

Now I have seen some pretty gross glass water bongs, and an absence of cleanliness in any situation can lead to these bacterial/fungi conditions and if you are not changing the water each time you are using any water filter setup I can easily presume your not using it to "filter". Even with neglecting to notice the barriers between the water and the wood, I still think they would be okay. Do you keep your water stored in your "cooling-system" between uses? I know it sounds strange but I know people that won't drink from a glass of water that has been sitting out overnight... Mold and bacteria need, wet and dark conditions, I personally would be more worried about the fact that the wood housing doesn't let light into it, rather then arguing that it will harbor mold because of its porosity, its my contention that the wet conditions and the lack of light would increase the likely-hood more than it just being wood. I do agree with your remarks about the food products I mentioned in my previous post, my first assumption was the natural preservatives and generally low pH or acidic nature of these ingredients made them able to withstand the long term stays in a wet, dark space with a wooden housing. If I were concerned about the microbial activity in my water filtration setup, I might add a few (maybe 5ml) of H202 to the water to get rid of any possible contaminants, but with the fact that this is kiln dried cypress, sealed with acri-soy bio-based penetrating sealer, then with a wax finish... I hate to say it but it might be ok. But we will see...

Wet wood kept clean? I know of a 72' wooden Rover schooner that's kept pretty clean down at the municipal marina... I'll ask him lol

Old City Diffusers,

alexwallis

Hi all,
I came across this thread as a result of reading the pd thread.
OCD, did you receive my e mail? I could be interested in getting one of your Products. But I have some questions, so I wrote to you yesterday to see if you are still in business, and if the answer is yes then I will ask my questions.
if you didn't get my e mail, let me know and I can try sending again, or send you a pm with my e mail address so you can try mailing me.

alexwallis,

alexwallis

just an update for anyone reading the thread, I did get an e mail from wes, so I have asked my questions and am waiting for a reply. Just thought I would post this on the thread in case people got the impression Wes hadn't responded to me.

alexwallis,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Hello!
Side Note: Alex I'll be getting to your questions in a little bit, I'm just running through some scenarios in my head to see if we can work something out for you.

To all previous OCD patrons that are either; waiting for to upgrade their unit (which will be a completely new unit) or are waiting for a new unit altogether that have not yet received one and opted to wait for final design revisions.

As far as the ceramics are going that I am waiting for; they are on schedule and the final designs are again good to go. I have received an email from a member talking about some improvements that he would like to see in the OCD unit, and since it didn't directly have to do with the ceramic components of which I can not change as of right now ( which translates to the molds for the ceramic components are sort of "cast in stone"). Anyway, the changes that were suggested were improvements to the vapor whip, to make it a little more user friendly and cleaner to use.

The next improvement which would be a vapor whip that has a 3-piece design. The first piece would be the mouthpiece it is a length of tubing that you choose to suit your preference (~4" ranging through ~6" or more). This will detach from the middle wooden "bridge" to allow ease of cleaning and ease of filter replacement. Allowing this piece to be detachable would also let you attach different lengths of glass tubing or a small 1" piece of glass tubing to connect to flexible tubing for a "hands-free" setup.

The wooden bridge will be connected to the "bowl" or chamber where herbal vaporization takes place, this will also be removable for easy cleaning, and a very very easily replaced standard .5" stainless screen. The length of the vapor tube chamber or bowl has been increased to permit the use of an extra screen or stainless mesh cap that allows heated air in but keeps your herbs from falling into the vaporizer, making the process a little more efficient by not letting little bits of loose herbal blends to fall out while loading and unloading the vapor tube from the side of the vaporizer. The pieces of wood used for the bridge have been made from rosewood for this test piece and has worked so far using this new design with the prototype, we will see once the final custom ceramic insulators show up to confirm that this will be in the final product and all previous OCD patrons will be provided with the option of the improved vapor whips. Production units wooden bridges may be solely made from briarwood. The prototype you see here can be fitted with up to three screens;

:peace: one for the tip of the vapor tube to prohibit loose herbs from falling out (heated end)
:peace: one for the bowl to jar the contents of the bowl and prohibit you from sucking in herbal blends
:peace: and finally between the bridge end and the mouth end of it, to catch any possible oils
or resins that collect over time.

All previous OCD patrons, those waiting to receive new upgrades will be receiving an email within the next couple weeks with a list of new options and possibilities that each of you would like. I will deal with each replacement and upgrade on an individual needs basis and we'll work something out to give you what you would like, there may also be more then one wood option available instead of cherry only so you will also be given a list of wood options among other options to see what you would like in your new unit. Specifics of this process will be fully detailed in the email and we will go from there. I have not had much feedback on the aesthetics of the new unit from any previous patrons but you may get the choice of which you would prefer ( i.e.- Original design with external heating unit or compact design with external heating unit, such as the prototype shown on the video).

thanks again and hopefully I can get this picture to load, computer crashed and going to load from another computer....created a webshots account to load these onto the forum for you guys/gals...

Note: in this picture the "bowl" or vapor chamber was a glass joint, final units will come with straight .5" tubing for the bowl still... and will have an extended chamber for the use of a filter for the tip.:peace:

Old City Diffusers,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Thanks for the update...looking forward to hearing more :)

Lo,

alexwallis

Hi Wes,
I am just wondering, did you receive my reply to your message, which I sent on the 5th of July? if not I can resend it, let me know.
I am looking forward to hearing from you, as this does sound a good product I guess these things just take time to get going.

alexwallis,
Top Bottom