1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Gear "Oil Slick" products REVIEWED

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by farscaper, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Caligula

Caligula *results not typical.

Meh. Even my silicon cooking stuff does this. I'm not to worried.
    grokit and Patrick Hughes like this.
  2. Patrick Hughes

Patrick Hughes Stoneman

Agreed. I even notice it on the underside of slick sheets after purges. I don't let it get to me either.
    Caligula likes this.
  3. Caligula

Caligula *results not typical.

Lol I meant food cooking, like my silicone steamer. .. but yes that too!
    Patrick Hughes likes this.
  4. havealight101

havealight101 Norski

Hey fellas, just noticed this thread...
    I've used a few of their products over the last 6 months+ or so. I first started with with the v2 slick pads in an attempt to stop scraping Pyrex. At first I thought it was pretty slick, but after a hand full of trials with varying results, I decided to shift gear towards their slick sheets. As a liner, it seemed to work pretty well, but I did notice sometimes some(very little) seeps through it. I was some what alright with it until I went to my lhs a month+ ago and they had a v2 that is pure PTFE, no mesh just a smooth PTFE sheet.
    It works really, really well. Nothing leaks, its so thin that the heat transfer is nearly instant. Mine goes straight from the pyrex to sit on ceramic tile in my vac chamber which sits on the Nuwave induction thing keeps everything right in between 110-120.
    I'm very happy with 100% PTFE, and don't think silicone will be used for anything but storage. One con I see compared to v1 slick sheet, is that it's tougher to fold into a liner, but it's not terrible to work with.
    The stuff is good for storage as well, fold it up and slap it in a jar, no loss, and no constant touch to silicone.
    As for the containers, I've tried plenty, and NoGoo and slik stak are my favorite. The Slick Stacks, to me, do a terrible job at keeping the smell in. The Nogoo are nice, but the top has crevasses that catch stuff if really full, I don't use the threads, I just made a little mark where to line it up, then just jam it on like a slick stack. I really like the rounded bottom of the slikStak, but the lids are wonky. Lol, can't win, or I'm too picky.

Edit:had to edit the container area for proper names, I did not have the actual brands right.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  5. MileHighLife

MileHighLife Self-Sufficient

What is lhs? I need one of these PTFE sheets.

Edit: other than slick sheet ... no me gusta

Double edit: I'm retarded local head shop duh ... I'll have to check out that v2 :p
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. havealight101

havealight101 Norski

Lhs=local headshop. Ptfe=teflon

I just noticed they switched their formula when I was going to pick some more up. The move to pure Ptfe was a good one.
    It came in a tube instead of a box.

edit: I doubt they call it "v2", just look for the tube.
    2clicker, SSVUN~YAH and MileHighLife like this.
  7. 2clicker

2clicker for your health

havealight101 likes this.
  8. MileHighLife

@2clicker silicone breaks down when exposed to butane so if you evaporate butane off of silicone you can end up with silicone in your oil which is a major health hazard. PTFE and pyrex are the way to go with bho runs but the old slick sheet (which was PTFE) was a pos imo ... hoping this v2 is easier to work with.

If you're evaporating alcohol silicone is ok
    eiluaP and havealight101 like this.
  9. havealight101

havealight101 Norski

I think that's the original stuff, notice the box, it has some sort of mesh or something.

If your using alcohol, look in to it to make sure it's good for them. I haven't used them with everclear yet.
    I used one up to six times, they don't warp or deteriorate, so you could probably go more. Just don't pierce it with tools, it's super thin.

edit: I'll put up a pic of it before bed, so there is no confusion with the original stuff.
    SSVUN~YAH, Bob Loblaw and 2clicker like this.
  10. 2clicker

2clicker for your health

i do notice the box in the pic, but the description says "PTFE Teflon". so i figured that meant its the new stuff.
  11. StickyShisha

StickyShisha Well-Known Member

i found this resource Chemical-Resistance

Material Selected:Silicone
    Alcohols:Ethyl

• B = Good -- Minor Effect,
      slight corrosion or
      discoloration.
    i would use the PTFE. it gets an A rating

12. havealight101

havealight101 Norski

I think (don't quote me), the original stuff says that as well, we're looking for 100% pure PTFE. Check your inbox, no need to order some yet...
    2clicker and MileHighLife like this.
  13. 2clicker

2clicker for your health

what a community! :rockon:

this is the info i saw. thought i saw it somewhere else here on FC, but couldnt find it recently. anyway after seeing this i was unsettled about it and sent out some emails to the MFGs.

Oil Slick said:
    "While Oil Slick pads are not designed for concentrate production quite like the Oil Slick Sheet..
    Oil Slick pads are safe to be exposed to ethanol!
    You may find some discoloration but you will not have any chemical reactions take place between the silicone and the ethanol, compared to what you may find with silpats or other food grade silicone products (including parchment).

Oil Slick silicone products use the highest quality silicone available (platinum cured medical grade) to ensure that there is no reactions that take place between your oil and the silicone."

NoGoo said:
    "We don’t recommend any solvents be used directly with any silicone products."

Dab Wizard hasnt responded yet.

not sure of the validity of what Oil Slick stated, but the PTFE does sound better all around. aside from it being disposable.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  14. MileHighLife

I like that tool ... silicone with isopropyl alcohol receives an A

Material Selected: Silicone
    Chemical Compatibility
    Alcohols:Isopropyl A-Excellent

Makes sense cause ethyl alcohol is both polar an non-polar.
    havealight101, SSVUN~YAH and 2clicker like this.
  15. havealight101

havealight101 Norski

I like what nogoo said the best.

Edit: Yup, you got it. 25 shipped isn't bad. Here is that pic.

[​IMG]
  16. 2clicker

2clicker for your health

17. 2clicker

2clicker for your health

so i have been using the OS PTFE slick sheet to evap my QWET runs in. works damn well, but removing the oil from the sheet can be as tedious as scraping it up. when using the "stick n rip" method you can get most of it, but it takes some time. and if its shatter (mine always is) small bits will flake off and get all over.

starting to think that i can collect more faster using a razor.

anyone have the same experience with the ptfe slick sheet?
    farscaper, steama and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  18. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Why the Oilslick PTFE if it is difficult to retrieve it all? It pisses me off when I break a sweat. I read that the Oilslick PTFE product was difficult to retrieve all the goodies in some reviews on amazon. Where as the large silicone pads are easy peasy to get very last drop. I don't believe OS silicone poses a health hazard when doing very small fast runs with minimal solvent exposure.

I threw my razors away (well, not really, they are for scraping paint now).
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  19. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

20. 2clicker

2clicker for your health

i would love to use one of the pads or competitor silicone dish, but when you check compatibility with silicone and ethanol its not a great match.

its not likely that anything negative would happen, but im not taking any chances.

i was hoping to just peel the oil off the slick sheet, but it just doesnt work that way.

besides if you warm the glass slightly while scraping it comes out very easily. unless a new product comes out im back to the razors.
    MileHighLife, steama and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  21. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I think people run a greater risk getting an infection from cutting one's self with a razor in a scraping drudgery drenched with sweat than suffering any adverse health effects from the use of OS silicone products. Of course it is important that contact with solvent be brief as possible but that is a goal any way I would hope. I would examine the silicone pad with a magnifying glass every time and if you detect the slightest deterioration throw it out. Hell they are cheap enough to use a new one every time you run. :2c:

I may think twice about doing this as the silicone exposure to the solvent is longer with evap methods. There lies the problem. Also roundish containers suck imo. :peace:
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    SSVUN~YAH and 2clicker like this.
  22. johnnyblaze805

johnnyblaze805 Certified Dankologist

Just got this bad boy in today!!! Hoping to break it in this weekend with a sour d bho run!!!! :)
    [​IMG]
  23. eiluaP

eiluaP Paulie

You aren't blasting onto that pad, are you?
  24. johnnyblaze805

johnnyblaze805 Certified Dankologist

No I'm not... I've done plenty of research before I started. Thanks for your concern tho :) I felt pretty well prepared heading in.. Here's some pics of my 1st run I think my research paid off!! :tup: these pics we're takin after it's been on the griddle for 3 hours . It's been 8+ hours now and still goin strong!!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  25. aesthyrian

aesthyrian Blaaaaah

May I ask what the purpose of the cheesecloth underneath the slick sheet is? Can't say I've ever seen that done before so I'm just curious.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors