Gear "Oil Slick" products REVIEWED

Caligula

Maximus
Well, my Oil Slidk Duo mats and mini-ball concentrate containers should be here (along with a 12 piece SS wax carvers tool kit which was only $9.00 on Amazon) today. I keep looking out my window for the UPS man.

Last edited:

xclarryx

nice, got my slick stacks yesterday. they are a hair bigger than nogoo's, but slightly less deep. definitely loving them.

Also anyone else looking for 1 specific colored slick stack, check out high priority's website. saw a bunch of different color slick stacks listed individually for around $9 each. definitely ordering the rainbow one.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
So I just got one of the big slick ballsacnd im kind of disappointed. The lid comes off so easily i cant see myself bringing it with me anywhere for fear of it popping off. Didnt they used to come with a band to hold it together?

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
So I just got one of the big slick ballsacnd im kind of disappointed. The lid comes off so easily i cant see myself bringing it with me anywhere for fear of it popping off. Didnt they used to come with a band to hold it together?
I bought the slick ball minis for pocket use but after 2 uses and 2 pockets full of wax I decided to put them on the back burner for hikes and other backpack use. The slick stacks are my favorite ... I have one in my pocket all day every day. It would be nice if they made the balls using the slick stack design cause I'm convinced its the ball shape that's the culprit.

Caligula

Maximus
Don't the stacks have a screw type closure system versus the snap together style of the miniballs?

Caligula,

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman

I have the old style, which has a rubber band but no snap closure. Maybe 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another? I will say that the rubber band does not make the og version any safer for your pocket. I have the large ball and the slick stak, and I don't carry either around except for inside the airtight jars they came in. I find the stok stak stay closed perfectly in my pocket though, and are much better than slick or nogoo for rough treatment.

Don't the stacks have a screw type closure system versus the snap together style of the miniballs?

My slick stak has snap closure, not screw, but maybe there is a newer version. I find the closure is really solid, but the whole unit is flimsy enough to get bent open pretty easily (although this has never happened to me.

MileHighLife

It's the nogoo containers that screw together ... the stacks snap the same as the balls.
I find the stok stak stay closed perfectly in my pocket though, and are much better than slick or nogoo for rough treatment.
I've seen these on Amazon but haven't gotten around to trying them. Are they slimmer than the slick stacks and do they snap together? I hate the screw together lids on the nogoo containers and I'd like something that feels a bit smaller in my pocket.

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
It's the nogoo containers that screw together ... the stacks snap the same as the balls.

I've seen these on Amazon but haven't gotten around to trying them. Are they slimmer than the slick stacks and do they snap together? I hate the screw together lids on the nogoo containers and I'd like something that feels a bit smaller in my pocket.
They do snap together, not like the nogoo, which are my least favorite. As long as you keep the snap closure clean, they stay together perfectly. They are taller than the individual slick stack containers but have about half the diameter. They hold much less, but they are also more rigid and smaller overall, and very realistic for a night's worth of pocket carry. EZvapes has all the sizes and colors SLiK non STiK Concentrate Jar Set - Storage Containers - Tools and Accessories

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I have the old style, which has a rubber band but no snap closure. Maybe 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another? I will say that the rubber band does not make the og version any safer for your pocket. I have the large ball and the slick stak, and I don't carry either around except for inside the airtight jars they came in. I find the stok stak stay closed perfectly in my pocket though, and are much better than slick or nogoo for rough treatment.

My slick stak has snap closure, not screw, but maybe there is a newer version. I find the closure is really solid, but the whole unit is flimsy enough to get bent open pretty easily (although this has never happened to me.
Oh i didnt even realize the old ones didnt have the snap closure. I couldnt even imagine! Its seems like the lid on the ball is flimsier then the bottom which makes it come off easy. If they could make it more firm i think it would be perfect but then again it might be harder to get off as well which could also cause problems.

They also had a larger slick stack there as well i have not seen anywhere or even online. Compared to the normal slick stacks it was about the same height but 2-3x bigger in diameter. I probably should have just got that but ive been intrigued by the ball forever so i went for it.

The shop i was at had everything, no goo, slik staks, stok stacks, slick stacks, mini balls, slick ball...i felt like a kid in a candy store, but it was also a little overwheliming with all the choices. They also had the nogoo dishes which look cool but i see no use for since it doesnt have a lid

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
They also had the nogoo dishes which look cool but i see no use for since it doesnt have a lid
I thought the same thing. I will probably buy some any way, for the desktop and maybe for heat purging, although I did find this review:

"1.0 out of 5 stars save your money, October 8, 2013
By Cory -
Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: NoGoo Deep Dish Silicone Container - Approx 8"x8" in Assorted Colors

The dish buckles under the cold temp. Causing contents to spill out if concentrates are your thing this is not for you"

Now I am not going to take Cory's word for it, but I am not going to spray into it either.

Patrick Hughes,

vape4health

I thought the same thing. I will probably buy some any way, for the desktop and maybe for heat purging, although I did find this review:

"1.0 out of 5 stars save your money, October 8, 2013
By Cory -
Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: NoGoo Deep Dish Silicone Container - Approx 8"x8" in Assorted Colors

The dish buckles under the cold temp. Causing contents to spill out if concentrates are your thing this is not for you"

Now I am not going to take Cory's word for it, but I am not going to spray into it either.
I was just checking these out, the plate too.

I fucked up big time. I have a family vacation coming so I started making abv oil today. I was quick evaping on the stove with the pad in a pyrex that apperently wasn't stovetop safe. Yep lost about 4 zipps worth of abv oil in one stupid ass move, it was just getting thick so my stupid ass self slide the pyrex from the burner to a cool spot on the glass top stove rather then turn the burner off. How fucking stupid. Glass all over the kitchen, my oil everywhere, she just gave me that look. I did get 2 successful run after so the day wasnt totally shit canned.

That pan or plate or both are looking like a real good option. Does the plate hold shape till it overflows?

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
Yep lost about 4 zipps worth of abv oil in one stupid ass move, it was just getting thick so my stupid ass self slide the pyrex from the burner to a cool spot on the glass top stove rather then turn the burner off. How fucking stupid. Glass all over the kitchen, my oil everywhere, she just gave me that look.

Noooooo!!!! That sucks. I have made this mistake.... once (I only lost about 8 gs of oil, but I was DEVASTATED).

Patrick Hughes,

MileHighLife

I fucked up big time. I have a family vacation coming so I started making abv oil today. I was quick evaping on the stove with the pad in a pyrex that apperently wasn't stovetop safe. Yep lost about 4 zipps worth of abv oil in one stupid ass move, it was just getting thick so my stupid ass self slide the pyrex from the burner to a cool spot on the glass top stove rather then turn the burner off. How fucking stupid. Glass all over the kitchen, my oil everywhere, she just gave me that look. I did get 2 successful run after so the day wasnt totally shit canned.

That pan or plate or both are looking like a real good option. Does the plate hold shape till it overflows?
Damn that sucks dude. The plates are really flexible like a slick pad with walls but they do hold shape if you are careful with it

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah

Sucks that pyrex is no longer made of borosilicate glass anymore, huh?

I'm surprised there isn't more glass blowers making "pyrex" dishes and pans that are actually made of boro just for oil production.

farscaper

Pyrex is a brand more than anything... And not even boro can "always" handle extreme temprature varience... A 200 degree drop would crack alot of bongs and such, so I have no doubt that even the best glass blower would warn aginst and extreme thermal shock of that nature.

One of those look down shake head and curse quietly moments im sure.
sorry for the bummer v4h

Caligula

Maximus
Pyrex is a brand more than anything... And not even boro can "always" handle extreme temprature varience... A 200 degree drop would crack alot of bongs and such, so I have no doubt that even the best glass blower would warn aginst and extreme thermal shock of that nature.

One of those look down shake head and curse quietly moments im sure.
sorry for the bummer v4h

Truth. Its the rapid change in temp which causes the issue (well more technically, the rapid thermal expansion or contraction of the medium). It can to happen no matter what type of glass your plate is made of. Reminds me of shattering rocks in the winter with hot water when I was a kid back in Denver.

Last edited:

vape4health

I've been evaping ethanol abv oil on the pad and today I'm noticing the dark oil must have penatrated the pad and has gotten into the fibers. I know it sounds nutts but I was checking it out real good and you can see the overlapping cross fibers are not stained. Let me try and get a pic.
http://imageshack.com/i/4j8ov2j

Last edited:

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
I've been evaping ethanol abv oil on the pad and today I'm noticing the dark oil must have penatrated the pad and has gotten into the fibers. I know it sounds nutts but I was checking it out real good and you can see the overlapping cross fibers are not stained. Let me try and get a pic.

That doesn't sound nuts to me. I have stained 2 pads with abv runs (once with 'tane, once with ethanol).
I will say that both times my pads had been through a few runs, and I felt okay about retiring them to less strenuous duty.

Patrick Hughes,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
Maybe those nogoo plates would be better to do runs on?
I don't know, man. I just recieved the small one in the mail, and it definitely says "food grade" rather than "solvent safe". The thing is, the rigid shape is super attractive, so I may have to try a small run. I honestly don't mind replacing the oil slick pads every five uses or so, but I have gotten a knockoff oil pad from Amazon ( it was labeled oil slick, but that was a lie) that partially dissolved in a run and ruined 2 g's of oil. I am super gun shy now, especially because my average run is now eight times larger.

eiluaP

Paulie
I use a no goo plate for purging these days ... I love it.

That doesn't sound nuts to me. I have stained 2 pads with abv runs (once with 'tane, once with ethanol).
I will say that both times my pads had been through a few runs, and I felt okay about retiring them to less strenuous duty.

Please, please, please, do not do any extractions that involve butane touching any silicone surface, platinum cured "solvent safe", "food grade" or what have you. None of these, including platinum cured Oil Slick Pads, are not rated for use with butane as a solvent. Cole Parmer has a pretty nice little tool to test the compatibility of solvents with materials you might want to use them with. As you can see with this tool, butane gets a grade of D - Severe Effect, not recommended for ANY use in contact with silicone of any kind. This article was very enlightening on the subject, including an email directly from a representative of Oil Slick.

The only commonly used solvent which they are resistant to would be isopropyl alcohol, given an A rating. This means that your ordinary Slick Pads and other off brands should be perfectly safe for isopropyl reclaim evaporation. On the other hand, ethyl alcohol (ethanol/grain alcohol) ranks with a B - Good - Minor Effect, slight corrosion or discoloration. Although it is ranked as 'good', i would not personally want to consume an ethanol extraction or reclaim which came into contact with silicone before purging was completed.

All of that aside, if you want a flexible surface that you can blast butane on and use solvents other than just isopropyl, try the Slick Sheet PTFE Roll. It is mentioned in literally the first post of this thread, and it is rated as an A - Excellent for contact with both butane and ethanol. I will mention that they say isopropyl ranks as an A, with a footnote mentioning it is satisfactory up to 120° Fahrenheit. Make of this what you will; perhaps you would consider refraining from using the PTFE to evaporate isopropyl in a vacuum chamber that is heated, as this change in atmospheric pressure may venture into territory which has not been tested for chemical compatibility.

I hope i have been somewhat helpful without rambling too much. I tried to keep it short and concise.

Happy vaping,
- Paulie

MileHighLife

I rate the slick sheet as an R - Royal pain in my ass :lol:

All kidding aside I've been blasting straight into 99% iso then purging the butane off over heat, winterizing and evaporating the iso on the nogoo plate. Simple, easy and effective.

Thanks for the heads up ... too much sketchy oil around.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
So i put some shatter in my oil slick ball. Had it in there for about a week. I just took it all out and it ended up molding together in the shape of the ball but the part that was in direct contact with the oil slick had a white haze color on it now. It kinda goes back to normal if i rub my finger over the haze but not completely..

Any ideas? Should i be worried...i noticed something similar with the nogoo but not as bad

Mynameismud,
Top Bottom