• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear "Oil Slick" products REVIEWED

farscaper

I need to contact them I think for a real solid review! Me want now. FLskwat, did they happen to mention what they would be going for?

farscaper,
Reactions: SausBaus

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
I need to contact them I think for a real solid review! Me want now. FLskwat, did they happen to mention what they would be going for?
Yes I have the MSRP as their french, spanish, and EU distributors :tup: :
20 USD mini balls
Airtight acrylic jar, contains 4 Slickball Mini's
each Mini holds 2 grams
and
25 USD slick slacks
Airtight acrylic jar, contains
3 Slick Stacks
each Slick Stack holds 5 gr

I will ask Josh to jump in here and participate!

farscaper

Wow, keepn it real on prices. Thats one of the reasons I keep coming back.. That and these awesome innovations! As of right now google wont pull up anything on these new bits in regard to US release, but hopfully it wont be too long for a full release ;)

z9

So we do not carry them in the shop yet, so I'm posting as FLskwat, but Josh and the awesome oil slick team sent me some new items they now have:

the mini slick balls & the slick stacks... They are both great as their closing and seal is much improved compared to the big ball + band.
Here's a picture for you guys to see what they look like:

Woohoo smaller sizers and more colors!!! :rockon: Exactly what I've been waiting for.

SausBaus

These pads are the same thing as Silpat nonstick baking sheets, yes?
Oil SLick pads are platinum cured, something that kitchen baking sheets are not as far as I know. I had wondered the same thing before the owner got back to me and filled me in

SausBaus,
Reactions: ogcook

SausBaus

pads are safe to cut and resize. have done so myself
wrong.. cutting the pads will compromise the integrity of the sealed edges. Butane will get inside and leech out silicone into a CONCENTRATED product that you will eventually be ingesting. Where I come from ,we always say safety first! for your health, please do not cut the pads anyone

SausBaus

these are medical grade silicone. shouldn't be any fiberglass.
post source of info? again, i will say that i personally have cut them and had no
fraying or degradation of product. to each his own and do as thou wilt and such,
but haven't seen any personally
The fiberglass is used to evenly transfer heat throughout the pad. I highly advise against this, but like you said, to each their own. The silicone might be medical grade, but if you stab into the pads with a tool, or cut into it, you will be exposing the non medical grade materials used in the product. Safety First!

farscaper

Platinum cure?! Damn... Can I put on a chain and pour diamonds on it now :p

Did they explain the process in legnth? Does that mean that while it cures it sitting on platinum plates or something... Or they use some kinda dip or what?

Google here I come!

I also want to edit and add a,bit about cutting the oil slick pads...

It is actually stated on the,website that they can be resized (via cutting) to fit a users needs.
mine is currently cut in half as I dont need that much surface area..and half had damage to it.

Provided ur solvents do not contact the exposed fibergLass there is no risk of contamination.

farscaper,

SausBaus

Did they explain the process in legnth? Does that mean that while it cures it sitting on platinum plates or something... Or they use some kinda dip or what?

Google here I come!

Google here I come!
from one of my emails exchanged with the owner regarding this " Silicone can swell when exposed to non-polar solvents, because of this we do not sell the pads to blow on.
handling, storing, vac purging, yes. but not for spraying into.
they are made of platinum curedsilicone. much purer than food grade pads, or parchment.
and because of that , lots of folks DO spray in them.
some of em buy 100 pads a month just using and tossing them...no matter what we say about it.

when folks ask us, we tell them that if they insist on blowing into them, to watch for any wear and tear on the pad, they arent indestructible. Just very pure."

There should be some current info up out there, I have a pdf that explains it in detail, but am only allowed to upload photos via a url on here?

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I don't know what "platinum cured" means. I would like to know about that process. I do know for a fact that these pads are not safe to cut. Miniscule fiberglass bits in your oil is bad, even if those bits are "platinum cured".

Edit: Ah, it's the silicone that is platinum cured, not the fiberglass. Still, fiberglass bad.

Edit 2: From what I just read, platinum cured silicone offers a slightly more pure form of silicone as well as better tensile strength.

Edit 3: Found out that some food grade silicone products are platinum cured. I do not know if Silpats are. My only question is that if the Oil Slick pads aren't to be blow on directly and are for use after transfer, wouldn't the Silpats work just as well?

Deadshort480,

SausBaus

I don't know what "platinum cured" means. I would like to know about that process. I do know for a fact that these pads are not safe to cut. Miniscule fiberglass bits in your oil is bad, even if those bits are "platinum cured".

Edit: Ah, it's the silicone that is platinum cured, not the fiberglass. Still, fiberglass bad.

Edit 2: From what I just read, platinum cured silicone offers a slightly more pure form of silicone as well as better tensile strength.

Edit 3: Found out that some food grade silicone products are platinum cured. I do not know if Silpats are. My only question is that if the Oil Slick pads aren't to be blow on directly and are for use after transfer, wouldn't the Silpats work just as well?

I have a screenshot of a pdf I was sent from Oil Slick that explains it, but I can't figure it out to put it into url form lol.

Platinum cured means they use platinum (precious metal) as a catalyst to cure the slick pads instantly and sealing them essentially, Safety First! :) Other slipmats use Peroxide catalysed which contain impurities from the manufacturing process known as 'bloom'. I am not familiar w/ the jargon, but it sounds like it with food grade, this small difference is not a concern because it is insignificant, however, the extra precautions are taken to ensure optimal safety for concentrate use.

The difference between silpats and the oil slick pads is the curing process is what I have gathered, if the silpats are cured with platinum, then I imagine they would be similarly safe, but I wouldn't cut into any of them for any reason because that just seems to risky.

I don't blast right onto them because they have warped on me from the cold/warm temperature difference from the cold butane and warm heating element which has caused spill nightmares occasionally, but once is to many times IMO

SausBaus,

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Image shack will give you a code, you can post pictures on here with that...

Trever

First bad experience with the oil slick pad. The green border actually bubbled up and started to peel... Anyone seen this?

Trever,

Trever

ordered about id say a month ago. I believe its a new one? border is pretty small. I never let my oil get above 100 degrees so way under there tolerance. Its like the green part wasnt fully sealed? Oil actually got underneath and bubbled it all out making it no longer useable...

Trever,

farscaper

Sounds like that one was a dud? I have seen what ur describing but it was because it had gotten poked with a tool. Maybe the edging didnt get sealed well enough.

farscaper,
Reactions: SausBaus

Trever

Sounds like that one was a dud? I have seen what ur describing but it was because it had gotten poked with a tool. Maybe the edging didnt get sealed well enough.
Yeah we used it to purge about 20 or so times with no problems until this last one. Kinda got freaked out a bit you know?? Contacted them on friday so hopefully they can replace or give a deal on a new one that wont do the same thing. I used to use just food grade silicon mats and probably did 100+ purges without a problem then i found the slickpad which was medical grade. Not the best of luck so far but well see:shrug:

Trever,

SausBaus

Yeah we used it to purge about 20 or so times with no problems until this last one. Kinda got freaked out a bit you know?? Contacted them on friday so hopefully they can replace or give a deal on a new one that wont do the same thing. I used to use just food grade silicon mats and probably did 100+ purges without a problem then i found the slickpad which was medical grade. Not the best of luck so far but well see:shrug:
Did you scrape it maybe with some metal tools (to remove the extract) by accident? I had one of the duos get kinda peely like you mentioned on me, but it was a rookie mistake on my part from poking at some crusties and it jabbed the silicone :/

SausBaus,

Trever

Did you scrape it maybe with some metal tools (to remove the extract) by accident? I had one of the duos get kinda peely like you mentioned on me, but it was a rookie mistake on my part from poking at some crusties and it jabbed the silicone :/

Never only folding with slight heat so it was malleable. It happened on a purge when it started bubbling out. My guess is it started on the first purge a month ago and it just slowly got worse? Never noticed it until friday when the green started bubbling like purging oil.... lol

Trever,

farscaper

I doubt they will replace it as its stated by oil slick they arnt for spraying, but they are not to expensive to strait replace when they go bad...

Ur 10 purges could be 100x times bigger than mine since my runs are under 5g of bud ata time. If ur spaying 2x cans of 300ml butane per purge, thats more,than I,use in 3 months so results and durability is gauged less on how long you had it or how many timesit was used. Its better IMO to gauge the wear on ur pad by asking how much solvent u have use...

SausBaus

I doubt they will replace it as its stated by oil slick they arnt for spraying, but they are not to expensive to strait replace when they go bad...

Ur 10 purges could be 100x times bigger than mine since my runs are under 5g of bud ata time. If ur spaying 2x cans of 300ml butane per purge, thats more,than I,use in 3 months so results and durability is gauged less on how long you had it or how many timesit was used. Its better IMO to gauge the wear on ur pad by asking how much solvent u have use...

For the price, I would just look for another one and use this one to put your glass and tools on top of. They are great in this aspect, keeping expensive glass safe(r). farscaper is right, since each person's purge amount is different, it would be hard to gauge how many times it was used in relation to another persons use because the amounts would not be the same.
Also as an fyi, these are impervious to alcohol, so I would consider cleaning it up nice and flipping it over and using the other side if you don't want to get another pad.

If things are bubbling out though, I HIGHLY recommend that you do not purge onto that, unless you want to be smoking that with your concentrate :0

SausBaus,
Reactions: Trever

Trever

Yeah we threw away 8g of golden goodness because i couldnt trust it...

Trever,

SausBaus

The pads and duos are $16 and $11 respectively. The others I believe were mentioned already ($25 stacker pack, $20 for the minis USD). As far as a review and to address the platinum curing I mentioned the other day, I finally got around to getting this imageshacked :) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/oilfactfin02v22.jpg/

Top Bottom