Obama's respons (to the F'ing raids in Cali this week)

Venomous

This is mandated by state law. I don't believe that it is legal to use deadly force to protect your property in most states. In most states, deadly force is only legal if your life is being threatened. It doesn't count if your car's life is being threatened.

Depends on where your vehicle is and what is happening to it. In ca, there is an actual law called battery on a vehicle. Once your in close proximity of your vehicle, all of the battery is now considered to be on you. So whatever they do to the vehicle, you can protect it. I arrested a guy in 1994 for vandalizing this dudes truck... the owner walked out while they were throwing rocks at the truck.. That's now battery on a person because they could of been hit.

Only 18 state recognize Martial,Law as its written in their state constitution. Ca is one of them.

Venomous,

Venomous

game on? yikes. ill bet there are people who just wish some shit like this would go down so they could "protect" their stuff.

Well people talk a good game most of the time... When it actually comes down to it, they don't act. It's like a video game.. You certainly wouldn't drive your car the same way you play Need for speed.

Venomous,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Sorry I should have separated that first sentence into a separate paragraph. The "castle law" I was referring to is just regular stuff.

Self defense situations can get tricky, tougher to make a split second decision without training . . .

t-dub,
Reactions: Venomous

Venomous

Sorry I should have separated that first sentence into a separate paragraph. The "castle law" I was referring to is just regular stuff.

Self defense situations can get tricky, tougher to make a split second decision without training . . .

Indeed...Zimmerman is feeling this now. I mean, he potentially prevented serious bodily injury or even death to himself.... However...you have others who claim the kid couldn't have hurt him. It's tough to be the referee when you werent there watching it. This is where floridas stand your ground law steps in. As long as he can prove he was not stalking the kid or trying to give the kid a reason for not defending himself, he will most likely walk. The law is pretty cut and dry over there. The feeling I get about Florida is, they can't fucking vote to save their lives and they seem to get away with murdering people.. Case in point... Casey Anthony. I mean, Ted Bundy is like one of the few people they convicted.

Venomous,

Venomous

thanks for the info venomous. some of those laws there in cali are fucking dumb.

Not as dumb as like carrying a knife with a fixed blade longer than 5" is a felony but a gun is only a misdemeanor, even if it's loaded lol..

Venomous,

2clicker

Observer
Not as dumb as like carrying a knife with a fixed blade longer than 5" is a felony but a gun is only a misdemeanor, even if it's loaded lol..

how about alcohol, tobacco, and most prescription drugs are legal, but cannabis isnt?

2clicker,

Venomous

how about alcohol, tobacco, and most prescription drugs are legal, but cannabis isnt?

Well it's legal here for the moment, but all walk in despensaries have been closed or are about to close. We have to have it delivered now... And a lot of the drivers are now getting robbed here in San Diego.

Venomous,

Venomous

Life isn't fair, some people pay taxes, some "swipe that EBT yo!"

I notice you just throw one liners out there... I know using a bulletin board takes a lot of effort on your part, but you should at least make an attempt to at least act as if you know what you're doing.... It's one thing to debate or conduct yourself in a constructive manner while participating in a thread, but it's another to just straight troll...

Venomous,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Radicals are good for only one thing.... Being made an example of.. Do you know what happened during the LA riots in 1992 to black radicals? Radicals found themselves shot and killed by Korean shop owners for stealing their merchandise.
Only 18 states have martial laws written into their state constitution. Congress has never exercised martial law themselves however. Once the local gov loses control of safety and security of their city, martial law is impacted and the government steps in usually with the national guard first. Hopefully they learned from the los Angeles riots in 1992 where we saw the national guard given their m16s but they were never given ammo... Whoops

Is that really the fundamental interpretation of the LA riots and the lessons to be learned? Sure you had a unique perspective, but I've got to say I think much of the rest of the world looking on reflects on it quite differently - the prime issue was not simply the failure to maintain law and order, and the action certainly not just black radicals. I don't think these things catch afire like that unless the conditions are fundamentally wrong. Most of the time people won't riot.

I think in such situations restoring law and order with the minimum loss of life is every bit as important as restoring it with the minimum loss of property.
Martial Law is a beautiful thing when exercised appropriately.
I couldn't disagree more with you on that. It's about the ugliest form of law conceivable. A necessary evil perhaps for when civil law and order does break down, but far from beautiful. It's regular law and civil governance that's meant to be beautiful in it's architechture and construction, when we get it working right. Martial law is essentially failure- I think you've fundamentally got to look at how you got there, and if it's due to anything but a natural disaster or foreign attack then something is broken.
That is quite unbelievable. I guess it just shows the love affair with the gun (although is it the stiff penalty for knife possession that strikes you? For me it's quite the opposite- I think you can get up to 5 years here for the possession of any knife in a public place, and far more for a gun, so it doesn't seem strange to me for a knife to be a felony ).

you might want to study a little more, and I'm not talking about that university handout you keep quoting useless GDP %'s from . . .
I couldn't let that one go t-dub my man. My figures came straight from the OECD- I gave you the source, but it seems you didn't look? I'd hardly call that "useless". I think that the international context and perspective is the most important- it's more objective and gets beyond some of that blame game that domestic politics favours.

Rights or privileges?... semantics really. Both rights and privileges are only granted by other humans. I consider it a human right in a modern society with the ability for the weak and unable to be adequately supported by the strong and able. One that ethically trumps any archaic 'rights' over limited gov't, tax blah blah etc. etc. It's a key reason why I pay my tax- not just for services for me. And also it's not a case of THEM convincing US we don't own our property... in a functional democracy we effectively are government. Instead of disowning it and dismantling it, make it work to improve things where greed alone fails to achieve (instead of feeding the greed that does just fine on its own). IMO fear it when you need to, and there are certainly many times, but don't get carried away.

WatTyler,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I can't understand what is not understood in what Wat has been saying.. i am pretty much in sync with what he has been saying, although i don't agree with riots and people randomly destroying public and private property and generally spreading fear, i don't think people decide one day to start trashing things up.

Of course there are people who are not mature enough to try and take a more constructive position to a dificult situation, but it seems that people only come to extremes when they are driven to those extremes.

What is important is analyze what has led a large number of people to such drastic actions, this kind of riots happen a few months ago in France and also in London i believe (correct me on this if i'm wrong Wat.), and for me the interesting part is that it is always people who come from the lower status of society. You don't see homeless or junkies doing it.. they are down at the bottom and they will, at best, take advantage of a situation.. What you see is people who are unable or have a lot of difficulty providing an honest life for themselves, and earning money in a fair way for the work they do.

And about the martial law, i think too that it is a necessary thing when society colapses and the normal mecanisms of protecting citizens and restoring social order fail, but many people like the rioters themselves, don't have the maturity to protect themselves without resorting to unnecessary means and it is the kind of law that can bring as much damage as it wants to prevent. It is like saying, each man for themselves.

And if you ask me, unless something is done and the gap between rich and poor starts to diminish and society works to be more just and fair, the riots will rise in number and in damage.. It is a sign of society colapsing.

vorrange,

Venomous

Is that really the fundamental interpretation of the LA riots and the lessons to be learned? Sure you had a unique perspective, but I've got to say I think much of the rest of the world looking on reflects on it quite differently - the prime issue was not simply the failure to maintain law and order, and the action certainly not just black radicals. I don't think these things catch afire like that unless the conditions are fundamentally wrong. Most of the time people won't riot.

Pretty much... Remember, the same thing happened during Katrina. In America, it seems blacks always want to burn their shit down. Ever since the watts riots of the 60s, this Is how they react when they feel repressed. Unfortunately, they do themselves more harm than good. Just because a demographic of people do not agree on something, doesnt give them the right to riot and attack their own community members and businesses. It's a flawed logic In their mind that by doing so, everything will be better later. What they accomplished is no trust within their own community and only 28% of the businesses they destroyed, ever returned.

You watch what happens if zimmerman isnt convicted. Some stupid bullshit will happen. Remember, everyone originally thought Zimmerman was white...

I think in such situations restoring law and order with the minimum loss of life is every bit as important as restoring it with the minimum loss of property.

It's not easy to restore law when you are on the back of a fire truck getting shot at for putting out fires. In order to restore order, there is going to be both a loss of life as well as property. Minimal destructiion of property is an after thought... First order is making it safe to enter.. Second order is helping the citizens and maintain security of their well being... Which includes medical aid and food.. Third and last, is restoration of property. This wasnt a natural disaster, it was their own people destroying property. So it isn't exactly high priority to save property in their community.

I couldn't disagree more with you on that. It's about the ugliest form of law conceivable. A necessary evil perhaps for when civil law and order does break down, but far from beautiful. It's regular law and civil governance that's meant to be beautiful in it's architechture and construction, when we get it working right. Martial law is essentially failure- I think you've fundamentally got to look at how you got there, and if it's due to anything but a natural disaster or foreign attack then something is broken.

No, it's not.. when your local government cannot protect you and your family any longer, you're going to wish the federal gov steps in and stops the situation.

Imagine a group people trying to break down your front door to steal your food, rape your wife or kill you.. Are you going to stand there with a bag of weed and a vaporizer? Hell no, I hope you got enough balls to defend your family and their survival. Martial law protects the people against themselves and restores law and order. Without it, you will be living like those fucked up third world countries in the middle east.

That is quite unbelievable. I guess it just shows the love affair with the gun (although is it the stiff penalty for knife possession that strikes you? For me it's quite the opposite- I think you can get up to 5 years here for the possession of any knife in a public place, and far more for a gun, so it doesn't seem strange to me for a knife to be a felony ).

You can thank democrats for these types of fucked up laws in California. The fine should be Equal, not less than a knife. Being killed via a knife is painful, gruesome AND bloody as hell.. Damn near torture if you ask me,so it should be a felony. However, a handgun should carry the same charge... It's a cowardly way to murder because of stand off distance and not have to look your victim in the eye when you take.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Rights or privileges?... semantics really. Both rights and privileges are only granted by other humans.
This is where you are so wrong Wat. Rights come from the creator. They can't be taken away. We then GRANT priviledges to the government. We created them. Thats how it works here and that is one of the fundamental differences that defines LIBERTY.
And also it's not a case of THEM convincing US we don't own our property... in a functional democracy we effectively are government.
Wat, living in a democracy is mob rule, 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner, the tyranny of the majority Thomas Jefferson called it IIRC. That's why we live in a republic, it protects the rights of the minority. If you really think you want to live in a pure democracy, you need to study some more . . .

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

Venomous

If living in a democracy was all good like people in England claim, Wales wouldn't be it's own country now would it? Although its a part of England under democracy, welsh Iive their own life the way they want. Why do you think the queen hated princess Diana so much?

The united states is a represented republic.... A sole republic is nothing more than dictatorship with no voting Or freedom... A sole democracy sucks... You are voting on everything.. Where as in a democratic republic like the USA, we vote to elect someone to do it for us. We split into two parties in the united states... Democrats and republicans... We simply have a designated person to do the job for us.

Hell the queen doesn't even have power anymore.. Why are they still a democracy?

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
1) fuck Obamao.
2) A public enamored with rock stars, celebrities, 15 minute attention spans and couldn't give a shit what a person actually says, as long as its catchy and sounds cool.
3) He won't be around after January next year.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
It is scary how close Mitt romney is getting... Do people even listen/watch him? He's a doucher! Hell, if Obama is put up against Romney his slogan should be changed from "Change" to "Not Romney".

Sorry about venting, but if you think the raids in Cali is bad now... With Romney calling the shots our community will be shut down. :bang:

Wanna bet?

The only thing keeping MJ illegal is the drug cartel lobby. You guys really don't believe congress-critters aren't on the payroll? :lol:

Romney, just like Obama and just like GWB (CA had their MMJ back then to. And actually the co-ops and dispenseries had a whole lot LESS harassment under Bush. Presidents don't make policies on drugs, unless you're some narcissistic ass-munch, like Obama.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Well people talk a good game most of the time... When it actually comes down to it, they don't act. It's like a video game.. You certainly wouldn't drive your car the same way you play Need for speed.

Hey! Says who? Don't make me get all Grand Theft Auto on your ass! :p

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Tea Party

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Good morning!
Pretty much... Remember, the same thing happened during Katrina. In America, it seems blacks always want to burn their shit down. Ever since the watts riots of the 60s, this Is how they react when they feel repressed.
It's also what white people do, throughout history, long before the 1960's. Look up the history of my name, Wat Tyler. Rioting itself is not a racial issue and the exclusive past time of the black community. It's a social one- it's generally the poorest with the least to loose who riot. But not exclusively- we had violent protest and clashes with police from the upper classes as well as the normal rural population in the UK when the government banned hunting for foxes with a pack of dogs in 2004. Not quite a riot, but seeing their reaction I wonder how much further they would have needed to be pushed before they did just become hell bent on destruction of the system they felt was shafting them. Remember this even included posh people from families with old money.

However the reason for the 1990's riot was undeniably largely racial.

Unfortunately, they do themselves more harm than good. Just because a demographic of people do not agree on something, doesn't give them the right to riot and attack their own community members and businesses. It's a flawed logic In their mind that by doing so, everything will be better later. What they accomplished is no trust within their own community and only 28% of the businesses they destroyed, ever returned.
I agree they have no right to do this. But it doesn't mean it is without reason. It's fucked up, for sure, but they are certainly not the only parties involved. You've got to look at the whole situation. And try to find some logic- because as you point out it's their own community members and interests that are hurt.

It's a bit like watching someone self harming, you know- where they cut their arm/leg skin with a knife. Well that's very flawed logic too. I think everyone with a bit of sense realises that attacking them for their lack of logic in cutting themselves is not going to be the thing that solves such a complicated issue. There are fundamental issues underlying this symptom. Likewise it's a profoundly sick and destructive society, but I think it can be better if we look at understanding the causes rather than the symptoms.

Martial law protects the people against themselves
Think that when you're locked in your FEMA camp.

Rights come from the creator....
Eh? Yeah, legal rights maybe, but not ethical or moral rights. A starving (I could extend the analogy to sick as well, but it's not as fundamental an example) man has the right to take (or from your viewpoint steal) food to eat (especially when it's available in excess), and I will not condemn him for it (legally maybe, as we have to maintain a system, but I can not ethically condemn him). It's a natural right and any animal will do the same. As a compassionate/cooperative human beings if he can't do so then that right is extended to others to provide on his behalf. If you don't recognise his right to eat, and instead insist that your perceived right to accumulate excess trumps that right, then there will be no law and order. I will exercise my right to steal it and do what I must.

And where did we get in to the detail what kind of democracy I want? Since you suggest it I'll say that whilst fundamentally a system of parliamentary democracy is the most practical and effective, I do quite like the Swiss model which demands more direct democracy, though in practise it's a bit clunky and local government issues can weight them down a bit. I certainly do think that more key important decisions should be taken by referendum. I doubt that you'd still see cannabis illegal in the USA under increased direct democracy.

Under "tyranny of the masses" you can protect the rights of more minorities than you will through the tyranny of one particular minority.

That's why we live in a republic, it protects the rights of the minority.
But I thought there were no rights that could be taken away :brow: you mean privileges ;)

If living in a democracy was all good like people in England claim, Wales wouldn't be it's own country now would it? Although its a part of England under democracy, welsh Iive their own life the way they want. Why do you think the queen hated princess Diana so much?

The united states is a represented republic.... A sole republic is nothing more than dictatorship with no voting Or freedom... A sole democracy sucks... You are voting on everything.. Where as in a democratic republic like the USA, we vote to elect someone to do it for us. We split into two parties in the united states... Democrats and republicans... We simply have a designated person to do the job for us.

Hell the queen doesn't even have power anymore.. Why are they still a democracy?
I'm a little confused by that to be honest. The UK works under a system of parliamentary democracy too- we're not big into direct democratic participation and rarely have referendum. I don't think it's as different as you're imagining? And in some ways it's even more direct in America- don't you get to elect your Prosecutors and Police Chiefs? We don't (though I'm very, very glad for that fact). The UK is not a direct democracy. I'm not aware of anywhere that is.

The queen is only the head of state on paper- she could never exercise her full power for with holding Royal Assent nowadays (although I think that if this were 'on paper' in the USA the paranioa would be manic and the tea party would probably be advocating adhering to it- I think we're maybe more used to having ancient rubbish on the statue books as long as it doesn't interfere with modern progress- when it does we change it, but there's so much that if its not broken...)

Wales has always been it's own country, as have England and Scotland since long before the act of union. These together with Northern Ireland make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain. England is just the most populous of these four countries and in American has become synonymous with the UK, to the chagrin of the other UK nationalities. What has happened in recent years is some devolution of certain administrative powers to these composite nations. Effectively regionalisation. In some ways I guess you could draw some loose parallels between state and federal government in the USA. But it's not the break away in Wales I think you might perceive it as- the Welsh people chose not to take as many powers for the Welsh Assembly as the Scots did, and they're not really into the idea of breaking from the UK at all- just a bit more local influence on local decisions. The Scottish Government however wants complete separation from the UK as it's own sovereign state, and a referendum is due in 2014.

It's actually a slightly skewed system as there's no separate English administration- England is done at the UK level, which mean that you have Scottish and Welsh and Northern Irish elected representatives voting on solely English issues amongst UK ones, yet English members can't participate in devolved administration decision making. I don't think in practise it's caused any issue yet though.

Finally, the queen certainly did not hate princess Diana due to any Welsh connection. Firstly Diana was only the princess of Wales in name, she's actually from a very, very English aristocratic dynasty (the Spencers). Secondly, whilst Diana might have been the Princess of Wales, the Queen herself is the Queen of Wales. In a sense even more Welsh than Diana was.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Eh? Yeah, legal rights maybe, but not ethical or moral rights. A starving (I could extend the analogy to sick as well, but it's not as fundamental an example) man has the right to take (or from your viewpoint steal) food to eat (especially when it's available in excess), and I will not condemn him for it (legally maybe, as we have to maintain a system, but I can not ethically condemn him). It's a natural right and any animal will do the same. As a compassionate/cooperative human beings if he can't do so then that right is extended to others to take/provide on his behalf. If you don't recognise his right to eat, and instead insist that your perceived right to accumulate excess trumps that right, then there will be no law and order. I will exercise my right to steal it and do what I must.
Wat, any starving person absolutely does not have the right to steal someone's property. I don't remember a "right to eat" in the Bill Of Rights. What I do know is that there are plenty of places you can "ask" for food. Animals steal. Wat, no one has to steal food in this community, or sleep outside if they don't wish to. Community resources are there, both private and public. People are hurting right now, bad. But so far we don't have any deaths from malnutrition or exposure in my community that I am aware of.
Under "tyranny of the masses" you can protect the rights of more minorities than you will through the tyranny of one particular minority.
Under that system 51% can vote themselves anything they want. Be it your house or largesse from the public coffers. Its a recipe for disaster, you can't protect anyone.
But I thought there were no rights that could be taken away :brow: you mean privileges ;)
Just because someone can violate your rights doesn't make them privileges(so stop flexing your brows :uhh: your point didn't stick) Wat do you know what a legal trust is? Well the constitution is a trust document to bestow Liberty upon us, the beneficiary of the trust, from the trustee, the government. Thats why elected officials take the oath of office "to support and defend the constitution" and it is the governments job to preserve my liberty if someone is infringing on it, in all the various forms this might take. Like maintaining law and order and property rights for instance.

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Wat, any starving person absolutely does not have the right to steal someone's property. I don't remember a "right to eat" in the Bill Of Rights. What I do know is that there are plenty of places you can "ask" for food. Animals steal. Wat, no one has to steal food in this community, or sleep outside if they don't wish to. Community resources are there, both private and public. People are hurting right now, bad. But so far we don't have any deaths from malnutrition or exposure in my community that I am aware of.
I don't care about a bill of rights. Legislation? This transcends that. A hungry man is still an animal and still has that right to try to eat if there's food. Why should I condemn him but not an animal?

The law may need to break it down into simply right and wrong, but I see very many shades of grey.

I can see almost no reason for someone to morally respect law if their basic needs are not being met. That law exists only for the protection of others.

Also, regarding the current impoverished, to imply that the help is there and accessible for every one that needs it is just untrue. There are big issues if you go and look.

Under that system 51% can vote themselves anything they want. Be it your house or largesse from the public coffers. Its a recipe for disaster, you can't protect anyone.
So you're arguing against democracy? That the wishes of the 49% should take precedence? Like keeping medical marijuana illegal? The only time I can advocate going against what the majority want is when it will cause suffering to those unable to withstand it.

Wat do you know what a legal trust is? Well the constitution is a trust document to bestow Liberty upon us, the beneficiary of the trust, from the trustee, the government. Thats why elected officials take the oath of office "to support and defend the constitution" and it is the governments job to preserve my liberty if someone is infringing on it, in all the various forms this might take. Like maintaining law and order and property rights for instance.
constitution constitution. I could harp on about the magna carta and use it as a hurdle for all progress. But it's just legal argument that seeks to artificially boil it down into black and white- the way law works, but not morality. It doesn't absolve you of your human responsibility to future generations to make society better IMO. Essentially I feel you see government doing is looking out for YOU and YOUR liberty. A defensive attitude to government. That's definitely a necessary influence on balancing the system- I'm glad that there are some guys who think of it like this- but primarily I see it as working for a greater common good and improving our society. Sometimes that may cost me, but fair enough. I believe the net effect can be beneficial, depending on what goals are set (therein is the problem).

If the majority of a population do agree on a particular course of progressive action then that's fine by me, as long as no one is left destitute, even if it is difficult to reconcile with agreements drawn up by long dead people hundreds of years ago.

WatTyler,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
1) fuck Obamao.
2) A public enamored with rock stars, celebrities, 15 minute attention spans and couldn't give a shit what a person actually says, as long as its catchy and sounds cool.
3) He won't be around after January next year.

1. I see what you did there....and i like it.
2. straight truth
3. hope your voting for my man mittens!

Tea Party,
Reactions: Venomous

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
1. I see what you did there....and i like it.
2. straight truth
3. hope your voting for my man mittens!

1. I actually have one of the shirts. Our oldest, followed my footsteps and joined the Navy. He was in Hong Kong, last year and got me one of those "banned" Oba-Mao shirts. Luckily for me, even in California, I live in a pretty Conservative area, so they don't care.

2. No doubt. I try not to talk politics here, since this is my place to chill... but in 2006 when everyone was scared of Billary, I told them Obamao was the one to fear, after that DNC Convention speech. He was instantly the American Idol contestant for POTUS. Luckily for the USA, as with American Idol's plummeting ratings, so are his. No president has been re-elected since the days of The Golden Cow FDR, under those circumstances. You can't increase debt, taxes, energy prices, unemployment and expect to get re-elected, especially by trying to still blame his predecessor, almost 4 years later. Its like the Race Card... it expired 2 years ago. He is Carter Part Deux. I'm sure you, like me... remember that asshat. Granted Romney doesn't have Reagan's charisma... but he's got the Carter/Obama factor working for him. The Misery Index will be so freakin' high by the time November rolls around... we're looking at possible Reagan/Mondale results (OK... a little hyperbole there). ;)

3. I am voting for ABO, which in this case... it looks like Mittens. He's got an opportunity to build an incredible administration of REAL rock stars, that CAN make a difference. One of the Paul's in charge of the Treasury (I'd go younger... elder is insane). John Bolton... Secretary of State (won't take any shit from countries like Iran). Tom Coburn for VP (fiscal hawk). Forgot some of the other names. Made a list one night for a friend, who HATES Romney and even he had to admit, it was pretty tempting if he makes the right moves.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Tea Party

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Here is what happens when people try to break into a person's home.....THIS is the point I have been trying to make, as have others. Violence begets violence, period.

http://www.wesh.com/news/31118739/detail.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wesh 2 news

Winter Haven Homeowner Shoots, Kills Intruder

Deputies: Second Time Homeowner Shot An Intruder

POSTED: 12:37 pm EDT May 27, 2012
UPDATED: 12:50 pm EDT May 27, 2012

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- For the second time, a Polk County man has shot a suspect who forced his way into the family's home. This time, it cost the intruder his life.The Polk County Sheriff's office said the unidentified suspect first broke into a screened porch at the back of a home on Lake Daisy Drive in Winter Haven.The noise awakened the occupant shortly before 4 a.m., who called 911 and locked herself in a room of the home.

While deputies were responding to that call, the next door neighbor called Polk County 911 and reported that a suspect had broken into that home, and that the homeowner had fatally shot the intruder.The PCSO said the unknown suspect was banging on the door of the Cromwell family, "…screaming, cursing and demanding to be let in."This woke up the family, including homeowner William Cromwell, who is a security guard and a Navy veteran grabbed his handgun and repeatedly yelled at the suspect to go away, and that he was at the wrong house. That did not stop the man at the door.

Cromwell opened the door and again yelled at the suspect to go away, but the man pulled open the screen door and barged into the home. As Cromwell retreated, he accidentally fired a shot into the floor. The suspect pulled off his shirt and challenged Cromwell to a fight.The PCSO reported the suspect "…ran directly at William. William fired one more round into the suspect's chest, killing him."Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said, "If there ever was a justified shooting, this is it."Judd added, "This is a classic 'Castle Doctrine' case -- William Cromwell had every right to protect himself, his wife and his children, from this irrational, out of control man who broke into their home.

The mistake the suspect made by breaking into that home was a fatal one."The Cromwell family faced a similar situation three years ago.The PCSO asid Cromwell was involved in a similar incident on March 18, 2009, when he lived in the city of Lake Wales.Investigators said an intruder broke into his home and William shot him two times.

Deputies said the victim fled the scene, and was later apprehended.Officials said that person is serving time in state prison. At the time, the shooting was deemed justified by the State Attorney's Office.Polk County detectives are trying to identify the suspect and determine the reason for his strange behavior that led him to this neighborhood and to his demise.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/31118739/detail.html#ixzz1w5kNn5m9

Top Bottom