NYC / Westchester Gastroenterologist - Medical Marijuana friendly?

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Hey everyone,
I have Crohn's disease which is classified as an inflammatory bowel disease. Recently, NYS got Medical Marijuana as of January 1st, 2016. Today I spoke with my specific gastro who still thinks people are smoking marijuana instead of all the methods. He really was out of touch.

He has essentially closed the discussion on me, and said he was against it, and compared it to narcotics. He said he would speak with his partners, but I'm not sure exactly what that meant. He'd rather me use a suppository (TMI), every night, rather than be comfortable.

Anyhow, I guess the search is on now for a gastroenterologist who will support and certify me for medical marijuana?

Right now, according to the DOH for NYS:
334 physicians have registered for the NYS Medical Marijuana Program, and 551 patients have been certified by their doctors.

Also -
3. How can I find a registered doctor?

Patients seeking access to medical marijuana should first go to their treating practitioners. Additional information for practitioners can be found on the Department's website: Practitioner Education for the Medical Marijuana Program. Practitioners may also identify registered physicians who consented to be listed, with their specialties, in the Medical Marijuana Data Management System, located online within the Department's Health Commerce System (HCS). The patient's treating practitioner can then make a referral if he or she is unable to complete the course and register.

---

However, I'm not sure that database is up.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

newVaper420 (not so new anymore, LOL!)

dingus

Compassionate Care NY, may be able to help you: http://www.compassionatecareny.org

They, more than any other group, were responsible for getting MMJ passed in NY.

Here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CompassionateCareNY/?fref=nf

+1 this, I'd contact them to get some direction.

compassionatecareny@gmail.com

347 781-5435

Alternatively, you can attempt to contact the dispensaries for more information. Here they are along with what they're serving:

https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/medical_marijuana/application/selected_applicants.htm

https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/medical_marijuana/application/

I suffer from Epilepsy, and am currently seen by a neurologist at NYU. My neuro was involved in a study at NYU on CBD oil over the past couple of years - I saw him last month and discussed this with him, and he told me he's currently registering in the Medical MJ program, but in truth, he's worried about the quality/variety of product that will first be served at dispensaries. According to him, the dispensaries will only serve a couple of items, such as syrups or sub-lingual drops, all high in cbd.

In the case of the NYU trials with epileptics and CBD oil, in order to control convulsions, some patients had to be given so much syrup they would get sick and have constant diarrhea.. but it did work to control their medical issue. Idk, I have a feeling the medical program as it stands, isn't for me. Along with our bunk choice of how we consume our Cannabis, we'll have to pay an annual member's fee and I believe 12%(?) tax on everything we purchase..

I know edibles are what you're looking for, so maybe the syrup is up your alley? If you do join the program, I hope it's beneficial and helps!

dingus,

Nesta

Here's the thing. In NY our leaders are not really behind the MMJ program. And they say they're so worried about abuse in the system that the Dept of Health decided not to publish the names of the doctors who have been qualified to recommend MMJ. That list of qualified docs is only available to other doctors. And if your doctor is reluctant to support your use of MMJ, he's probably not going to be eager to find another doc for you.

It could be that the governor & the people who run the program- the NY State Dept. of Health, don't really want it to succeed. It's too soon to tell but so far, instead of smoothing the way, they seem to be putting up roadblocks. IIRC, the MMJ law is not permanent. If they think it's not working well they can scrap the whole system in a couple of years.

I'm hesitant to recommend this site. Without having any direct experience, I've read that some of the docs on https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/ -because there are so few registered docs in NY at this time, are charging exorbitant fees & requiring multiple visits before qualifying you. That said, this doc, Brett Worthman - OM Medical Consutants, has some good reviews (if they're legit) saying he'll qualify you on the 1st visit. He makes house calls, & charges $150 in Brooklyn with an additional charge to travel beyond Brooklyn: https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/me...n/om-medical-consultant-house-calls-only_1601

@newVaper420 - if you don't mind, can you fill us in on your progress to get qualified? NY's MMJ program is so new & hazy that it would be illuminating to hear some details about the way it actually works.

Nesta,
Reactions: dingus

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
So far I have done nothing yet. If I come across anything I'll let you know.

I was about to call the White Plains dispensary to see if they have any leads for me. But I think I'll give it another month or so.

newVaper420,

Nesta

@newVaper420 - I got this email recently about an upcoming (4/5/16) meeting in NYC about the New York MMJ program. They may have some useful info & hopefully some certified MD's attending the meeting:

Greetings everyone,
It has been a long and winding road finding the perfect venue to build and grow Cannabis Society in NYC and we appreciate everyone's patience. We are happy to announce we will commence regular events in NYC starting on April 5 at the Gansevoort Park Hotel at 420 Park Avenue South in Manhattan from 6pm - 9pm and have added a new co-organizer Stefan to help out Natalie and the core team to ensure our events are only the highest quality moving forward.
Our first event will focus on the new medical cannabis program in New York. Safe Access Night promises to bring together advocates, patients, physicians, and industry experts into a comfortable space to learn about the New York medical marijuana program. We will also encourage direct action at the event to support several bills currently working through the legislature to improve the medical cannabis law.
RSVP for Safe Access Night April 5 here: http://www.meetup.com/opencannabis/events/226845753/
If you're a physician and would like to speak or an you're an expert on the New York medical marijuana law and can speak or would like to sponsor the event please reach out to us at core@cansociety.com.
Learn, Network, and Take Direct Action April 5 at the first Safe Access Night in NYC!
Sincerely,
Michael Latulippe
Co-Founder & President of Cannabis Society

michael@cansociety.com

Nesta,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
@newVaper420 - I got this email recently about an upcoming (4/5/16) meeting in NYC about the New York MMJ program. They may have some useful info & hopefully some certified MD's attending the meeting:

Greetings everyone,
It has been a long and winding road finding the perfect venue to build and grow Cannabis Society in NYC and we appreciate everyone's patience. We are happy to announce we will commence regular events in NYC starting on April 5 at the Gansevoort Park Hotel at 420 Park Avenue South in Manhattan from 6pm - 9pm and have added a new co-organizer Stefan to help out Natalie and the core team to ensure our events are only the highest quality moving forward.
Our first event will focus on the new medical cannabis program in New York. Safe Access Night promises to bring together advocates, patients, physicians, and industry experts into a comfortable space to learn about the New York medical marijuana program. We will also encourage direct action at the event to support several bills currently working through the legislature to improve the medical cannabis law.
RSVP for Safe Access Night April 5 here: http://www.meetup.com/opencannabis/events/226845753/
If you're a physician and would like to speak or an you're an expert on the New York medical marijuana law and can speak or would like to sponsor the event please reach out to us at core@cansociety.com.
Learn, Network, and Take Direct Action April 5 at the first Safe Access Night in NYC!
Sincerely,
Michael Latulippe
Co-Founder & President of Cannabis Society

michael@cansociety.com

Thanks for the information! I may sign up. This could be very helpful!

Thank you again!

newVaper420,

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
Our MMJ law is the worst !. I have 3 longterm qualifying conditions that would grant me access in any other state.. You're right @Nesta , they don't want this to work and they really don't want to help people. For years i wrote, emailed and voted for people who got this law passed.
You have some good links in this thread and you might try contacting a dispensary directly .
http://col-careny.com

VaporsVaporizer,
Reactions: Nesta

howie105

Anything but complete legalization can be used as stalling tactic. Be it studies that take years to complete when accepted studies already exist or medical MJ that is difficult to impossible to acquire. Don't be hampered by politicians seeking cover or outright anti MJ crusaders playing for time, go find relief on your own and screw the ass holes who are making people suffer.

Nesta

I never made it to the event. Did anyone go? Any leads on this?
I went to this & although there was some good info- there was very little about the NY MMJ program. And there were no NY doctors in attendance, so it's probably better that you didn't go out of your way to get there.

Don't be hampered by politicians seeking cover or outright anti MJ crusaders playing for time, go find relief on your own and screw the ass holes who are making people suffer.
I agree about the stalling tactics. And while its true that most of us here at FC are used to fending for ourselves, we're still subject to arrest & possibly jail time.

I think it's worth fighting for legalization. There are plenty of people, especially older folks, who could benefit from cannabis if it was legally available to them (obviously it should be) - & they, more than likely, don't want to take the risks we do to get their hands on it. Besides, if it was legal, MJ would begin to lose the negative stigma.

howie105

I agree about the stalling tactics. And while its true that most of us here at FC are used to fending for ourselves, we're still subject to arrest & possibly jail time.........Everybody has an individual tolerance for risk and at this point in time the risks are about the same as they always has been in my area, so I can live with it. What I don't want is for something I enjoy and safely use to be commercialized and placed in the hands of those who primarily want money and control of my choices. Sadly that is what is happening in too many places in America.

I think it's worth fighting for legalization. There are plenty of people, especially older folks, who could benefit from cannabis if it was legally available to them (obviously it should be) - & they, more than likely, don't want to take the risks we do to get their hands on it. Besides, if it was legal, MJ would begin to lose the negative stigma..........This I do know , following the legal guidelines laid out in my state I could not use medical MJ but following my own path I can.

On the age question I am one of the "older folks" and in my circle we take care of out own MJ needs without the states interference. The old thanks but no thanks.

Negative stigma.....One of the biggest tool of repression and control is social pressure, look at the history of race, religion and sexual orientation in America. Those who freed themselves from the social restraints at least had a chance to make things better and those not willing remained passive victims. Fuck a bunch of stigma and peace to you.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Yeah I just want to be legal and on a treatment that is monitored by doctors. No I don't want to take Humira or some other shit that may cause me cancer. As said above, thanks but no thanks.

Oh well. Hopefully we become like Colorado soon. Just had a trip over there last week. It was wonderful.

Top Bottom