Night Sweats/Insomnia

vape4life

Banned for life
Does anyone else here have regular night sweats on an ongoing basis? It used to be that the sweats (SOAKS!) would only happen if I wasn't medicated and withdrawal kicked in but after an increased tolerance and not really feeling the effects much, even from strong indica dominant strains at night, and vaping 2-3g/day, the sweats started to increase. Now that i'm on my 2nd day cannabis-free, I am literally SOAKING the sheets MULTIPLE times per night and it's also affecting how little sleep I get anyway, due to the withdrawal affecting it.

Anyone famaliar with this issue? I've had insomnia my entire life but the past 5 years have been particularily difficult due to shift work. I literally am sometimes awake for 5 days straight, a couple of times a month, with maybe an hour per night, but completely fragmented. For this reason I was able to obtain my medical card, but I have this burning feeling that I NEED to stop (again, the last time was 2 months off in the fall, but fell right back in the trap) to detox and let my body get back to homeostasis and let everything balance back out.

Everyone's got something, but i'll tell you when you don't sleep you are not even the same person and it can make life extremely uncomfortable. There is a fine line between a medicine helping or hindering. I hate being dependent, so i'm doing something about it.

vape4life,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Hey V4L night sweats do suck !! I've had em regularly for a couple decades now And have not found anyway to relieve them. Mine come from a crazy retrovirus I caught in '82 [wrecked a Honda 750four spent 6 weeks in ICU used over 400 units of blood] and the meds that keep me above ground. Hope you find a way to get some sleep, insomnia and chronic fatique are both a bitch when you have to function in everyday life. wishing you the best.

vape4life

Banned for life
Thanks RB, really appreciate the empathy...it's not easy. Fortunately, after 4-6weeks the sweats go away so I know it's MMJ related and not anything more serious. It would probably benefit me to stay quit (ya right) or seriously cut back which is exactly what i'm doing.

A couple of decades? Damn.... it's such a pain during the night, especially when you need to change multiple times, and sleep on different parts of the bed, and change sheets daily.

The one completely bizarre thing is that I think I NEVER get tired? I dont know if being medicated is some sort of trance/sleep/hypnosis or something, but even on a perfect sleep, I can't seem to ever sleep more than 5-7hrs these days (i'm 37). I used to be able to sleep in, etc. but now i'm always up before 6am.

vape4life,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
It is a pain , jumping in the shower, changing sheets , buying new pillows every few months, finding a cheap mattress once a year, also the Stinking smell is embarrassing , lots of nag champa incense burning. at least I Know I'm lucky to still be here To Bitch about it.

vape4life

Banned for life
Last night I don't think i've sweat the sheets as bad ever...night 2 sober. Tonight is night 3, and not a drop, but that's because i'm WIDE awake and can't sleep whatsoever...even though i only slept maybe 2-3 hours last night. I don't get it, withdrawal is such a bitch.

vape4life,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Insomnia is one of the reasons I medicate.

I've had some issues with "internal thermostat control", too. I spent several years going through some wild rollercoaster hormone trips, which included hot flashes, nearly constant PMS, and, well, the rest of it is just TMI. Quite a bit of my symptoms dramatically fell away by my changing my diet (equally dramatically), but I do still deal with the broken thermostat.

Weird thing - if I get pretty well baked, I get cold. Seriously freezing. Once it wears off (think about 1 or 2 am), it's like my body has had the thermostat turned all the way up for the whole time, and now it just hits hard. I end up naked and uncovered for the rest of the night, absolutely wringing.

I'm just hoping that the hormone RC ride finishes calming down, and my temps get a bit more mellow.

Enchantre,

vape4life

Banned for life
Hey thanks for responding...it truly can be a nightmare...last night was night 11 i think and again completely soaked. Sleeping has been spotty, but better than the first week and I know it will get better and better. I'm definitely having hot flashes and sometimes I freeze. It must be the cannabinoids are somehow affecting my natural balance of hormones. I just can't fall into the trap of dependency anymore, and would love to use the plant in moderation in such a why as to never have these side effects.

vape4life,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Sounds like low testosterone or Andropause to me. Starting at age 35 most men experience a gradual decline in testosterone levels, especially with all the xenoestrogens in our environment. I know cannabis really helps mitigate my hot flushes and night sweats, however your "T" level is really important. I would get a simple blood test to see what your free and total "T" levels are.

Are you drinking any alcohol? That is much harder to withdraw from than cannabis.

I hate this stuff, but it is a necessary evil . . .

I've suffered from this occasionally, I know how shitty it can be. One thing that makes it easier to bear is polar fleece sheets. Cheap, warm, breathable and virtually waterproof.

mrboote,

vape4life

Banned for life
It's not low-T, if anything mine is too high if you catch my drift lol It's strictly related to cannabis (withdrawal) and maybe getting overheated under the sheets when I pass out.

Typically, if I abstain long enough (5+ weeks) is completely goes away and doesn't come back until I go into another T-break. It's getting MUCH better now, i'm on day 15. The weird thing is that there is a night here and there when I sleep naked that I don't sweat. Last night it was just my t-shirt and pj pants slightly damp...sheets are always fine now, the worst was the first 7-10 days.

Damn, i've lost alot of weight....haven't been this lean in over a decade.

vape4life,

chimpybits

I've started getting the night sweats too recently. It is definitely related to cannabis withdrawal for me as I've never otherwise had this problem. btw I also tend to get cold when high.

My last t-break 3 months ago was my first time getting these sweats. I'd estimate usage prior to the break at about 0.44g/day of mid-grade herb. (Strictly vapor via my SSV). It was not as severe as what you're describing vape4life - not soaking, but uncomfortable - along with lessened sleep. I've had occasional bouts of insomnia my whole life, but the withdrawal was the culprit on this occasion. I recall the sweats and poor sleep peaked around day 4 or 5 of my 8 day t-break.

Since then, I've managed to drop my consumption to nearly 0.3g/day and am now on my 4th day of another break. The sweats and disrupted sleep are less than that last break so the reduced consumption has probably helped.

Instead of reducing my daily consumption, I'd prefer to not do daily as I really liked the high after my last break and was amazed how little herb it took. Of course, I was hoping to manage non-daily use to extend this effect. Instead, the daily habit returned along with a less satisfying high and a rationing mentality.

If I can't find the willpower to skip some days, then I'll just have to manage with periodic t-breaks. Apart from the night sweats and disrupted sleep, I feel good and am able to take satisfaction in the breaks. I enjoy the clearer mind and get into a sober mode.

This break is going to be at least 10 days - the duration of a water-curing then cold-infusing of my ABV. Ironically, I'll probably not take that edible afterward as I really liked how little herb got me high after my last break. And I don't want to blow my tolerance. Anyway, I find this whole ABV process a useful way to help the break.

vape4life

Banned for life
Chimpy, you are bang on.... I can definitely relate to your post 100% Since your consumption was about a 1/4 of mine i'm guessing that you're right that it's the "daily" use that is the problem. I suppose our bodies get use to it and downregulate certain neurotransmitters. I equate it to being dependent on sleeping pills. Once you stop, it takes a while to get back to baseline.

Although I feel pretty awesome, and am getting very much satisfaction from the break, the sweating blows. Fortunately i've figured out I just need a cooler sleeping environment. It's freezing out here (damn I miss Vancouver lol) so I usually have some really warm blankets, gonna try to cut back....cool sleeping environments promote sleep (or so says Dr Oz tonight lol). They even have these "bed fans" now lol

Also agree it gets worse after the first couple of days without. At least i'm getting SOME sleep now.

vape4life,

chimpybits

Well let's hope one of us can some day test this theory (i.e. manage un-daily consumption) and report back.

Good to hear you're also otherwise enjoying the break. I'm going to try the cooler sleeping environment tonight. I'll have to open my bedroom window as it is just too balmy here in Vancouver ;). Also, a warm bath before bed. I find I'm also clammy during the day so this will help me feel civilized and hopefully sleepy. G'nite vape4life.

chimpybits,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I had that regularly till I changed all my bedding for wool and cotton, banished synthetics.

You need to have bedding that gets the sweat out, wool is the best for this. Also keep your room more cold while you're sleeping.

Roger D,

vape4life

Banned for life
Chimpy, i'll definitely be testing it because I can assure you that I will NOT fall into the daily trap again. I mean, I really don't wanna even vape every day, or mornings, etc. As of now the way I feel I don't think I even feel like vaping? It's weird, but then my brain tells me that I should indulge lol I'm forced to have 4 day T-breaks twice a month anyway due to night shifts, but i'm gonna strive for 3-4X week to start, or every other night. I'm sure the highs will be stronger and i'll be saving $$$$

So last night I slept 1-6am, my usual solid 5 it seems lately. I slept naked this time, big mistake...soaked sheets and blanket. I'll revert back to t-shirt and pj bottoms, at least they get wet and the sheets stay dry. Sucks that today is day 16 cannabis free and it's still happening. But as mentioned it usually lasts me over a month easy.

Roger, always use high thread count quality cotton. I do use down duvets and they can get warm, but breathe. This is a withdrawal thing, nothing less nothing more. It will pass, although I probably won't let it because i'm vaping on my holidays which are next week! :) I never planned to do a protracted break of 2 months like I did in the fall.

(aside) Chimpy, although I miss the balmy temperature, mountains, snowboarding, and hot asian chicks, I do NOT miss the near constant rain. Waking up every single day looking out the window in the dark drizzly weather for like 40 days straight can be a bummer, then again us Ontarians aren't used to it. I'm sure you'd freeze here, even though it's not really that bad...that west coast damp cold goes right through you. But I do miss living on Pacific AV!

vape4life,

chimpybits

I'll be interested to hear how that testing goes vape4life. Good luck with finding the willpower. It is interesting that after a period (2-3 days for me) one doesn't feel like vaping, but the thought still pops into the mind. Habit and boredom conspiring I suppose. I suspect that it is harder for me to skip days as opposed to take longer breaks as it requires ongoing willpower and this few days period (when things get easier) hasn't come into effect. Nonetheless, the benefits of skipping days are just waiting for me. I think I'll aim for at least 1 or 2 days/week off, but will try to do better (thereby not setting myself up for failure). I should really help myself by structuring activities or work to occupy myself in the evening.

1-6 is also my usual during this break (and the last as I recall). I just cannot manage to sleep-in. It's the falling asleep that has improved during the t-break.

Really no night sweats last night (6th night), yay. So, slight compared to you and others. Even though I know that for me it is def a symptom of cannabis withdrawal, it is good to have others back this up (and provide warnings that as usage increases, so will these dependency symptoms). I too have quality cotton sheets and down duvet. The cooler room probably helped too.

vape4life, your summary of Vancouver is pretty good. Yep, the endless rain is a real bummer, though I have gotten used to it - the mark of a seasoned Vancouverite I suppose. The damp cold really gets me though. I've always been someone that feels the cold more than many - too lean a body perhaps. I've lived in Edmonton for a couple of years and loved the sunny winters and found that with adequate clothing one can beat the dry cold. Not so with the damp cold of Van though. I found Toronto to also be a damp cold, so I struggle to stay warm there too. And the summers are maybe worse. I entertained the idea of moving there a few years ago, but now am old and soft and cannot imagine taking on that weather. Instead, I get to visit family there and Ottawa when the weather appeals - fall. I do avoid the tiresome tendency west coast peeps have of bragging about the balmy weather to other Canadians. Really, the only remedy for us is to vacation in the south. Maybe next winter ... What is Pacific AV? Pacific Avenue?

chimpybits,

vape4life

Banned for life
Yeah sorry, Pacific ST I believe it was, just a block up from the beach...damn I miss it, but that 600sqft apartment was so cramped and all I could afford. I think the "west end" got to me in "other" ways as well lol I really liked victoria and the island, and considered retiring out there, but i've decided that Malaysia will be a much better cost of living :)
So I have MUCH water under the bridge! It's been 3 weeks now and my sleep is probably better than when I medicated! I can't even believe it, i've gone through the T-breaks and horrible withdrawals many, MANY, times, but this time is completely different! Maybe it's because I know what to expect, and don't really think about it. But at this point I am still sweating nightly, but it's just a damp t-shirt, not soaking and I can fall asleep by 11-11:30 no problem now and sleep until 6. I still can't sleep in but I think it's just because i'm so used to waking up at 6 for work and all I really need is 6-7 hours, although I still "feel" tired in the morning like I didn't sleep right. I don't have all the vivid dreams that people talk about, and never could remember any while medicated either so I guess i'm just not prone to it.​
I can't even begin to tell you how good I feel, although from time to time I wished I could vape to alleviate some built up stress, as i'm a pretty hypervigilant dude and have an overactive mind, constantly thinking. I've also given up grains/gluten during this time and can't even keep the weight on. I'm fricken ripped just from abstaining and clean diet, 37 years old and full 6 pack at single digit body fat. Used to have a little more muscle (usually weighed 195-205 at 6'2) but now i'm leaner and just hit 182! 31" waist whereas before I was 34" or so.... I can't even believe it. Diet wise i'm sticking to it, vape wise i'll be indulging this week, but this time I CAN'T fall into the trap. I won't. I've seen way too many positive results to wanna go back to the way I used to be.​
Dude, Vancouver > Toronto ANY day! I actually live about 40 mins west of Toronto and can't imagine a better city in southern ontario for myself, it's fricken raining today! lol The only thing I couldn't stand about Vancourites (generally from my experiences) is that they bash T.O. so much and think they are the best. I feel that T.O. doesn't need to do that.​

vape4life,
Reactions: Enchantre

chimpybits

Nicely done vape4life. Looks like we got our own little support group here.

I'm around 10 days in (extending this break longer than planned) and experiencing a similar pattern. I also still have slight night sweats and can't sleep in past 6ish. It's disappointing that the night sweats and inability to sleep in continue to linger so long, but it's not terrible. I'm getting to sleep around midnight and suspect I can manage earlier. This is a very different sleep pattern from my previous life (10 days ago) which was up late and sleeping in. I'm also really enjoying my quiet evenings reading and having a bath before bed instead of staying up late vaping, watching videos and listening to music. (I find mj disrupts reading novels). I generally also never remember my dreams, but have found that now I sometimes do.

I'm also eating somewhat healthier and have started regular exercising. Every other day, I've been going for a short run first thing in the morning (partly because I now have so much free time in the morning).

I agree that I'm feeling too many positive results to going back to my prior habits. I'm also planning of not allowing myself any mj on non-exercise days. This should help positively reinforce both the exercise and the mj moderation. Also, no more vaping close to bedtime as I have enough sleep issues. I prefer it in the day anyway.

You know you want to parade your new bod around the west end. :lol: 600 sqft all to yourself? F_ing palatial. I know someone here that lived in a closet, literally. Still, beats living in TO. ;)

chimpybits,

vape4life

Banned for life
LOL! Dude, I remember eating a slice of za at the Panago on Davie St. with a friend, just chillin people watching baked outta our skulls....then a fucking drag queen steps out of the car right in front....my jaw dropped! lol Living in the burbs, you just ever see shit like that! Naw, the 600sqft was with my girlfriend, and it was soooo cramped. Awesome location close to the beaches though.

Your experiences are scarily similar to mine. Today is my 3 weeks aniversary of "quitting", and I have about 3oz's of a variety strains of BC buds stored away with zero desire to vape them. I fucking LOVE this feeling of CONTROL. So 3 weeks later, and i'm still sweating...just the shirt again, i'm sleeping pretty damn solid, and unlike past T-breaks, i'm not dreaming yet. Typically i'd have some vivid dreams by now, but nope - and when vaped I NEVER EVER dream (or at least remember them). I still kinda feel drained in the mornings, I thought that was always a "hangover" effect, but I think it's just me. Yep, still can't sleep in...best case 6-7hrs sleep. Earliest when exhausted is 11pm, and up at 6 so i'm happy with that. Last night I was up past midnight, and was up at 7am, although the last 3 hours of sleep sucked. I do noticed myself "yawning" and actually getting tired at night....that didn't happen for the first 10-14 days. When vaped, I would be able to crash at 10pm depending on how early I vaped.

I'm not sure i'd be able to vape in the day and then go to bed sober....it's like once i'm vaped, I wanna maintain it until I pass out. I will use sativas in the daytime to motivate myself to workout or do whatever, but just infrequently, and same with indicas for relaxing at night. I'm glad I went through this experience, as my experiences in the past, because I think i'm ready now to be in control. It's just herb, and I think my overindulgence had alot to do with playing with and "testing" different vaporizers. It's a fun hobby! lol

I think i'll be ending my T-break in a couple of days, since i'm on holidays for the next couple of weeks. I'm happy where i'm at, last break was 8 weeks in the fall, and it took that full 8 weeks to test negative on a piss test. I just tested myself, and ofcourse failed lol Even with single digit body fat, it's still in those fat cells. My theory about the sweating is the body removing the last of the metabolites. Gonna start doing alot more hot yoga to help with it, but I still think the #1 thing is TIME. The good diet is definitely helping lots though.

It's incredible how a benign herb like this can have so many ill effects, but this is ofcourse coming from daily abuse of 2g+ daily. I always laugh when people say it isn't addicting....just try to abstain for 2 weeks, and see how non-addicting it is lol

vape4life,

cellardoor

I didn't sleep at all Monday night (made my Tuesday classes a blast) and I had trouble last night too (fell asleep around 3, woke up at 10 and couldn't fall back asleep). I'm also having pretty bad night sweats. I haven't had any cannabis since Saturday so I definitely think it's withdrawl. I thought cannabis wasn't supposed to be physically addictive :cry:.

cellardoor,

vape4life

Banned for life
There ya go cellar, I just wish that more members here would take a week or two break and SEE for themselves. But denial ensues, and they say it's "all in your head" lol ya right! Your withdrawal symptoms are CLASSIC. It gets WAAAAAY better after a week or two, but for me the sweats continue for over a month. I was abusing the herb at 2-3g/day sometimes morning to night :( Was fun while it lasted though, but NEVER EVER worth the withdrawal side effects of SERIOUS insomnia. Never again.

vape4life,

cellardoor

cellardoor,

vape4life

Banned for life
I too get the loss of appetite and drop weight fast. I read the article, it's good...some truth forsure, I can relate to a deplete memory (which I sometimes think is caused by insomnia/fatigue), but the bit about the sex is the opposite of my experience. Vaping charges my sex drive, and sex is way better. Although on a T-break it sucks for the first couple of weeks. Now thankfully i'm back to the regular mojo! lol Sober sex can be awesome too for a change.

I'll read the comments section later (I bookmarked it). Thanks for joining in on the discussion though bro.

vape4life,

cellardoor

I was actually going to make a thread about this today because of my recent experiences but now I don't have to

cellardoor,
Reactions: vape4life

chimpybits

I read the article, it's good...some truth forsure ... but the bit about the sex is the opposite of my experience. Vaping charges my sex drive, and sex is way better. Although on a T-break it sucks for the first couple of weeks. Now thankfully i'm back to the regular mojo! lol Sober sex can be awesome too for a change...
Yes, for me the only consistent response from mj is it's aphrodisiacal power. Everything else varies: appetite, anxiety/relaxation, pain relief, euphoria, etc. Perhaps having access to certain strains would produce a more consistent result... So, I def agree with the article's point of mj's unpredictability. I'm one of those types that sometimes gets wired and talkative and sometimes more the classic glazed, relaxed effect.
... I have about 3oz's of a variety strains of BC buds stored away with zero desire to vape them. I fucking LOVE this feeling of CONTROL.
I'm impressed. I'm not sure I have that much control to have buds around and ignored.

I'm not sure i'd be able to vape in the day and then go to bed sober....it's like once i'm vaped, I wanna maintain it until I pass out.
Yep, me too. I'd like to break this though.

I always laugh when people say it isn't addicting....just try to abstain for 2 weeks, and see how non-addicting it is lol
Yep, regardless of whether one classifies it as addicting or dependency, it's good to take a break and see how that goes.

chimpybits,
Reactions: vape4life
Top Bottom