Next Generation Vaporizer Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egzoset

Banned
Hummm...

I was wondering what a temperature curve would look like during the vaporization process of one's favourite blend under ideal conditions so i went surfing around and found this (the comment in red is mine):

Now, forget the numbers and suppose that's THC instead of water... If both behave in a similar way then its obvious that accurate energy monitoring (and control) should allow the heater circuitry to "know" exatly when all of the THC has been effectively evaporated. If we assume that there's no leak while vaporizing then the bag can be filled with an absolute minimum amount of air in the mix, optimizing its air/vapor ratio and hence rendering dosage more reliable... Naturally, the problem would be to achieve proper temperature measurement inside the vaporization chamber itself!

:/

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
My thought as well, it would be nice to see a portable implantation with an explanation as to how it works and what the benefits could be...

:popcorn:

Egzoset,

stinkmeaner

I'm guessing there will be no portable version :lol: unless you have really big pockets.

stinkmeaner,

Egzoset

Banned
Time for an update...

2vb4hp2.jpg

That's not exactly a halide-lamp sandwich as there are three heat sources instead of two but i thought salvia divinorum requires a lot of heat so why not! Fresh air enters from the front of the vaporizer through three joined conduits, each conduit is blocked by a vertical valve where gravity holds a glass ball against its opening in order to keep vapors inside... Past those valves the air is heated by an halide lamp located on top of a corresponding cavity (called a heating cell), hot air having a tendency to ascend it's trapped and collected there until needed. The heating cells connect to a central heating chamber, all of that heated air must travel down to reach its central opening, below the vaporization cavity (only the ceramic screen is shown here for more clarity). The heating cells don't make direct contact with the vaporization cavity: we want the herb to be heated by hot air (and also Infra-Red radiation to a lesser extent), the surrounding glass in combination with temperature regulation help to prevent combustion. Hot air passing through salvia particles sitting in the main vaporization cavity ascends toward the collecting chimney/tube which connects to the vapor bag, inside the vacuum bottle. A servo-controller manages vapor collection to optimize the air/vapor ratio (dosage), the valve balls are lifted in the process and this results in the injection of more fresh air into the heating cells. By the way, those glass balls may incorporate optional iron cores for use by electromagnetic actuators: these are at risk to get stuck because of long-term condensation products, after all...

It was suggested to cut lengths to the strict minimum, for this reason the addition of water filtration/ice cooling is kept optional.

N.B.: It should be possible to generate a venturi effect using appropriate conduit thicknesses where required.

:tup:

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
On second thought the simple task of imagining that complex heater design in three dimensions is a real nightmare all by itself, the situation sure wouldn't improve once the time has come to implement it in the physical world... Here's something which should prove to be much more appropriate for my purpose, it's only a VapBong actually - but one with a creative twist:

2ypchvl.jpg

:science:

A screw-shaped fin helps to keep the air in the middle section on which the heater elements are focussed, this should ensure true convection while at the same time it allows the vapours to be evacuated quickly. I'm not sure it would be easy to have a glass fin of such helicoidal shape though, perhaps it might need to be made of stainless steel instead, i wonder. Well, if it were so then the stainless steel fin can also serve to regulate heat because of its thermal inertia (mass); maybe this might even help to remove some heat from the vapour as it passes by, on its way toward the exit!

Hummm...

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
[h]It's finally here![/h]

:o

Please folks welcome the SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v3.0:

2ywzcia.jpg
e1di7n.jpg

There's glass where it counts, even Salvia Divinorum can be handled and yet all non-critical parts are inexpensive enough to make this vaporizer quite affordable. Its air path has been optimized without the need for trade-offs, a change of design allowed our army of engineers to offer you simplicity, durability, versatility, compatibility, stability, accuracy and sanity (ease of maintenance)... All of that in 1 single medical-grade product at an unbeatable price!

Enjoy vaping during electric storms, the fear of power interruptions is now a thing of the past because the SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v3.0 works with practically any heat source including hemp wick candles, butane torches, camp fires, watever!!! Laugh at mother nature in total impunity, the SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v3.0 will never let you down and that's not all: imagine, it's compatible with 14.4mm & 18.8mm GonG joints for maximum convenience!

:clap:

The basic package includes our pattented "Shaker" option (a vibrator is located in the temperature detection chamber to optimize air flow!), for a slight supplement you can get our special Intelligent Vial which is featured with a glass-imbeded light-polarizing heat-sensitive detection plate for increased heating accuracy! The connoisseurs among you will appreciate the fact that our intelligent vial is also available with 100 % glass-on-glass technology - OF COURSE!

:cheers:

A standard SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v3.0 box comes with our famous helix vial, the one where a custom-shaped fin improves heat exchanges. Additionally, you will obtain these three 100 % glass accessories: one custom-crafted balloon adapter, one 14.4mm adapter and one 18.8mm adapter. There are TWO mouth pieces, one for "Portable" operation while the other incorporates a flexible direct-draw tube for use at home or in your car (or boat!)... A set of 5 bags and one vacuum rubber tube are found in every box. Last but not least, carefully packaged in a double protective layer you'll find our unique SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v3.0 station with one USB data cable and TWO modular power cables (ONE 115 Volts A.C. and ONE 12 Volts D.C. for automobile cigarette lighter sockets). Sorry, no CD: visit our web site for free software updates!

That little futuristic beast optimizes dosage through precise heating/inhalation expert-system control (in "Automatic" mode only, most obviously) to bring safety where all other brands/products fail miserably, especially when vaporizing salvia... In short, our SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v3.0 gives you access to leading-edge technology TODAY so don't wait and call one of our sexy phone operators RIGHT NOW! As a bonus the first ten male calls will be offered our special-edition two-colours casing option (decalcomania is available for an affordable fee), in addition you'll be automatically participating to an in-house lottery draw which will be organized once we get our 100th order; the winner will receive a free 1-year subscription to High Times Magazine!!!

:wave:

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Hummm...

In fact, it seems the spiral design has been abundantly explored in the world of smoking pipes...

Agent Blue

Buzz Bomb

Agent Blue ( foreign replica)

Maze Pipe

Yet i see major differences between those and the SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v3.0 core tube:

1) My helix air path serves the purpose of heating instead of cooling
2) My helix air path gets filled with nothing but fresh air instead of filthy smoke

:cool:

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Although this thread has been desertic lately i'm still searching for new ideas and i think i've found just the right one to spice it up a bit further this morning:

mh9jj5.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the Glass-Rod Induction Heater Element!

:D

Lets forget about wired heating devices encased by heat-insulated oven contraptions, the active component in a Glass-Rod Induction Heater Element is made of ferro-magnetic metal beads submitted to a strong varying electro-magnetic field: it's a variation of a concept known as inductive heating, the later getting progressively widespread in modern kitchens today...

The metal beads are allowed to expand inside a quartz glass tube while they heat up. The tube can be shaped in many ways during the glass-blowing phase and then filled with a proper amount of metalic beads prior to sealing. A helix Glass-Rod Induction Heater Element, when inserted into a pair of concentric tubes, will help to optimize heat exchanges by maximizing exposition of the air path to heat within a small volume, for example.

:science:

Imagine the possibilities due to the absence of direct wiring, not to mention that even when cracked such a heater element will continue to work as a bonus!

:o

Egzoset,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Lets forget about wired heating devices encased by heat-insulated oven contraptions, the active component in a Glass-Rod Induction Heater Element is made of para-magnetic metal beads submitted to a strong varying electro-magnetic field: it's a variation of a concept known as inductive heating, the later getting progressively widespread in modern kitchens today...

The metal beads are allowed to expand inside a quartz glass tube while they heat up. The tube can be shaped in many ways during the glass-blowing phase and then filled with a proper amount of metalic beads prior to sealing. A helix Glass-Rod Induction Heater Element, when inserted into a pair of concentric tubes, will help to optimize heat exchanges by maximizing exposition of the air path to heat within a small volume, for example.

scientist

Imagine the possibilities due to the absence of direct wiring, not to mention that even when cracked such a heater element will continue to work as a bonus!

how exactly would the temperature be maintained? i guess by the varying the electro magnetic field, but how do you do this without wires and some type of computer chip?

do the beads heat up by themselves, or do they need to be near the electro magnetic field in order to get hot? how would you know what temp your ingredients are at? do you need to know the rod a certain distance to the elctro magnetic field to get a certain temp? or is it a time thing - hold it close for ten seconds to get a temp. rise of 100 degrees, for example?

i am a very visual person - i think another fancy drawing of the "pair of concentric tubes, (that) will help to optimize heat exchanges by maximizing exposition of the air path to heat within a small volume", is called for. i am having a hard time picturing it in my head.

notmyrealUSERname,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
i just wiki'd induction heating. it says that glass and ceramic can not be used for induction cooking - only ferous metals. i suppose that is why the PD vape has a metal bowl.

how would induction heating be different than the the types of vaporizers that already exist; conduction (PD), convection (SV), and radiant (vapolamp)?
i think your shotgun vape would end up being classified as a conduction type vape.

based on the popularity of the SV, vapexhale cloud, and vhw, i would think that a convection vape might be the way to go.

notmyrealUSERname,

Egzoset

Banned
Thank you for the input everyone!

It might be a while until i can illustrate this graphically, please pardon me for re-using the images i've posted previously. Only a slight substitution is involved anyway, imagine that the thin helical fin has been replaced by a coiled quartz glass tube filled with small ferro-magnetic beads and there you go:

2ypchvl.jpg
2ywzcia.jpg
e1di7n.jpg

Actually, i have a few more changes in mind for the SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v4.0 but lets focus on heating at the moment. For the time being it's still based on a modified VapBong-like amovible core, nonetheless (i love this type of versatility).

Even though direct wiring is gone and i'm done with oven-style heat insulation, some restrictions remain; such as the three chambers configuration for example. In this setup the heating elements (red vertical bars) of my upper-left heating cavity are replaced by an induction coil. The right-most servo-control compartment and the lower-left detection chamber continue to be represented the way they are for all practical purposes.

The difference lies mainly in my 3 operation modes. Essentially, "Portable" mode is unchanged and simply depends only on tighter dimensions handling to be compatible. As for "Direct Use" and "Automatic" modes, that's where the benefits of induction heating really show up.

I'm not sure yet how the lower-left detection chamber would work exactly but we're all aware of the existance of materials with temperature-sensitive properties (see previous explanations). I favour non-contact optical detection because one fine option i wish to survive in v4.0 is the "Shaker" feature: my central core (the vial) is submitted to vibrations in order to favour deeper vaporization. When combined with energy monitoring the temperature records should make it possible to determine when there's vapor ready (e.g. that's when it's time to "inhale" by creating enough vacuum in the soft-drink bottle where a vapor bag resides to collect the vapor).

In fact, energy monitoring might also serve as a safeguard because it should be possible to make rough approximations of the energy required to reach a given temperature versus the ferro-magnetic mass contained in the beads. In case of doubt, an "hesitation" control loop would include sufficient delay in "Automatic" mode to allow my Glass-Rod Induction Heater Element to cool down (reset) a bit so that the software can regain control again (i mean when/if necessary at all). A second detection chamber added on top of the middle induction (heating) cavity could eventually make both the "Direct Use" and "Automatic" modes even more accurate by monitoring airflow as well (two sensors working together can do this).

:nod:

It's true that materials like glass and ceramic are totally transparent in inductive heating applications. I may be mistaking but i believe brass too wouldn't get heated by a varying magnetic field focussed on the middle section of my central core.

Consequently, this part of the VapBong-based design stays exactly the way it was, naturally translating into convection heating as a result - a feature i'm not ready to sacrifice by the way! As a side-note i must point out that the detection chamber has a third function: to enhance seperation right before the vaporization bowl.

In short, heat would come from inside the vial instead of outside, significantly reducing the needs for oven-style heat insulation. Additionally, that heat is going to stay up within the vial since the later will be inserted vertically in the SHOT GUN VAPORIZER v4.0 appliance and hence the helical air path should help to keep it there until required - with the definite benefit that this would provide a reasonably massive reserve of hot air located not too far from the vaporization bowl but not so close we should become concerned by such proximity. Of course, things would probably differ on the long term though...

:2c:

I know this may be difficult to visualize in absence of an adequate drawing but my Glass-Rod Induction Heater Element doesn't need to fit tightly where the helical fin was found before and that's some major bonus which comes with this radical design modification: ease of manufacturing! After all, there are plenty of spiral shaped tubes around as we speak, how complex is it to fill one of them with ferrous beads really! The trade-off for a simpler mechanical structure is more demanding (clever) conception and we shouldn't expect anything less considering the price tag of comparable devices available today.

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Meanwhile...

Here are videos which illustrate induction heating in action:

YouTube - First step to induction heating
(An extra simple demo applying the theory)

YouTube - Small Induction Heater
(A kid turning his test pin red-hot using 50 Watts of power)

YouTube - Induction heater
(A dime being softened using some more juice...)

But is it safe?

YouTube - ZVS induction heater
(Yeah, i'd say the sequence at 0:22 tends to prove that it can be!)

In the context of vaporizing herbs it seems to me that induction heating has been ignored for too long (the metal part can be totally isolated from this ideal 100% full-glass air path which all of the average vaporists dream of, IMO)!

Egzoset,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Meanwhile...

Here are videos which illustrate induction heating in action:

YouTube - First step to induction heating
(An extra simple demo applying the theory)

YouTube - Small Induction Heater
(A kid turning his test pin red-hot using 50 Watts of power)

YouTube - Induction heater
(A dime being softened using some more juice...)

cool

But is it safe?

YouTube - ZVS induction heater
(Yeah, i'd say the sequence at 0:22 tends to prove that it can be!)

thumb

In the context of vaporizing herbs it seems to me that induction heating has been ignored for too long (the metal part can be totally isolated from this ideal 100% full-glass air path which all of the average vaporists dream of, IMO)!

BINGO! :o

by george i think he's got it! :brow:

ok i am on board now. i understand the theory on how the shotgun vaporizer should work. i like how you have taken the best elements of most of my favorite vaporizer designs and incorporated them all into one great unit.

this could be the only vape you'll ever need...

notmyrealUSERname,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi!

If my recent integration of the reader's suggestions worked for you and/or turned out to be entertaining then i'm genuinely pleased, one way or the other. Thanks!

I'd be a lamentable liar if i were to pretend this fantasy was meant to be purely trivial, everyone's input is valuable to me because only a vaporist can foresee some possible issues while that's still not under my grasp yet (i'm learning here). For example "heat retention" wasn't my idea in the begining: i gathered it elsewhere some day i was lurking around and now it helps to give this fantasy some realistic twist...

Here are some of the objectives which accumulated gradually on my imaginary "To-Do" list (not necessarily in order of chronology).

1)

Full automation must relieve a beginer from the need to go through steep learning curves, assisting him to the extent of filling an optimized vapor bag in his place seemed to be an original way to do so.

2)

The term "optimized vapor bag" implies many criterias including dosage among other things. As far as i'm concerned, if there's any priority which a dream vaporizer should meet then it's this one exactly because i figure an apprentice vaporist is going to be most vulnerable when he enters this world so that's why he'll need all the help he can get. Right after optimization comes "vapor purity" since the worst time to be vulnerable happens to be when one doesn't feel confident... As a result, i'm in favour of 100% glass air paths even if that might sound somewhat picky: it's easier to lower standards to meet economic requirements than it is to elevate them once everything has been settled in stone. Anyway, for all practical purposes lets agree that only pure vapor can come out of an optimized vapor bag, otherwise the later wouldn't really fit in such a class to begin with!

3)

Versatility... Ha! What about it! It was by luck i think that i read about the VapBong design. I could have run in circles until the end of days around a high-end brand/model like the Oracle and its removable crucible. After all, isn't the Oracle appealing:

By the way, everyone should see this utterly amazing video:

YouTube - VAPORIZING Herbs with a 15W LED: Pure Photon Energy Vaping. Vapor Brothers Vaporizer...

Infra-Red heating compares quite favourably to induction heating when one witnesses a guy vaporizing 'white sage' while he holds it in his bare hands (1:10), to say the whole truth!

...but honnestly, isn't the basic concept at the VapBong's origin even more "sexy" because of the purity rendered possible (and it would be affordable too, eventually)!

I mean, it's one thing to use leading-edge technology but it's another to do it without having to make any trade-offs, over versatility in a similar case, etc...

:brow:

George expressed his preference for a vaporizer he can hold in one hand, the Oracle doesn't allow that so far but the Shot Gun Vaporizer v4.0 will, in addition to supporting semi-manual or fully automatic operation at home.

4)

Last but not least, the following features fall in the convenience category: size, quietness, stealth packaging, ease of maintenance.

I must admit that stealth packaging may very well remain on my To-Do list for a while longer but i've paid attention to every other contribution in order to put them to good use if possible. StinkMeaner's drawing was a gift i just didn't expect, my present configuration dealt with path length in priority as a result, helped by SpikyVape's complementary feedback. The by-product of this change of design orientation was a smaller size, consequently, and reduced noise should result from these simplifications as well.

It wasn't possible for me to integrate some puzzling suggestions like presto and/or fluidized-bed vaporization, i wish the persons who mentioned that could have been more explicit. No problem, this quest is still in its structuration phase so to speak; only the main physical elements are emerging, lots of details need to be clarified including the software so there's room for more changes before v5.0 is on topic!

;)

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Somebody knows what are the dimensions for a BudBomb exactly? I believe it's possible to build a tiny in-line water-less cooler/mouth-piece simply by recombining some of the parts from two identical BudBomb sets:

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Ayoye! I've heard somewhat vaguely about induction cooking long ago but i hadn't yet realized how widespread this technology has become when i thought of it for my fantasy thread, actually. A typical induction cooker will sell for less than a hundred dollars and they'll even let it go with a stainless steel pot in the box!!!

Considering that's a 1+ Kilo-Watts unit now i sort of wonder how affordable a mere 50 Watts vaporizer version would be...

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
It seems i've been mistaking "ferro-magnetism" for "para-magnetism" so i edited my posts where "para-magnetism" was used and now it reads as "ferro-magnetism" instead. The reader may have failed to notice this difference but it might become a significant detail in the future. I'm trying to find examples of alloys where heat-induced ferro-magnetic to para-magnetic transitions lead naturally to a temperature regulation system: imagine ferro-magnetic materials becoming para-magnetic when reaching their relatively low (300C) Curie temperature, it would make them ideal in induction heating apllications (hence the need to clear any confusion relative to "ferro-magnetism" vs "para-magnetism")...

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Ah, there it is. This should suffice to support the idea expressed previously - which may very well happen to be much older than i had suspected initially:

"Nickel, cobalt, and their alloys", Joseph R. Davis, ASM International. Handbook Committee

The "Curie Range" appears to be suitable in a vaporization context, especially for Salvia Divinorum (the Curie temperature for pure Nickel is 358C (676F).

Here's a practical video demonstration based on the heat-induced ferro-magnetic to para-magnetic transition mentioned before:

http://www.imagesco.com/articles/heatengine/herun.wmv
Curie Point Magnetic Heat Engine How it works

And this is about a practical application for the induction heating industry:

NeoMax Materials Co. - Temperature-sensitive Magnetic Alloys

In conclusion, the heating element itself can have temperature-regulation properties!!!

Egzoset,

Hammerzeit

notmyrealUSERname said:
i just wiki'd induction heating. it says that glass and ceramic can not be used for induction cooking - only ferous metals. i suppose that is why the PD vape has a metal bowl.

Hence the metal beads. The glass would be left alone.

Can I be a beta tester Egzoset? :brow:

Hammerzeit,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom