Cannabis Hardware (formerly NewVape) FlowerPot Twax Vaporizer

ViCKi LEEKX

Fuck Vaporizer Combustion
I'd only be guessing at this point. I'll need to machine 30 of them to get a better feel for cycle time, and tool wear, and scrap. So far we are running the same feeds and speeds as titanium. This would indicate any price increase would only be the raw material. This is all only speculation and i'm really good at putting my foot in my mouth.

In your opinion, which parts would lend themselves best to the properties of this material? How would/should we go about expressing interest?

This is all really neat to follow along with.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
We have several ceramic nails in house including hive. I now believe there all made from some form of MGC (Machineable Glass Ceramic) Macor is a corning trade mark name there's others. Last week (not knowing ceramic could be machined) I would have bet money they were molded or cast. Now I'm rethinking that there all machined. There's no signs of parting lines or drafts inherit in molding. If anyone knows different please let me know. I'm also seeing a lot of dental implants made from MGC. I'll start looking on the FDA site for other medical devices using Macor. Even if this doesn't lead to any next gen flowerpot parts I still like the idea of knowing we can do this. Thanks for the challenge @invertedisdead I'm going to move forward with machining the vrod from ceramic. Perhaps you all can help us hash out the safety factor. The only reason for starting with the vrod is because it has fewer parts and is made from smaller dia material. At this point I'm keeping the sic dish on top as I've never been a fan of the of a dirty ceramic nail.

macor_1.jpg

AMAZING!! I knew you were gonna crush this!

@NewVape710 you've done it again! :rockon:

The future of vapor..... IS NOW! :whoa:

Justpassedu

We have several ceramic nails in house including hive. I now believe there all made from some form of MGC (Machineable Glass Ceramic) Macor is a corning trade mark name there's others. Last week (not knowing ceramic could be machined) I would have bet money they were molded or cast. Now I'm rethinking that there all machined. There's no signs of parting lines or drafts inherit in molding. If anyone knows different please let me know. I'm also seeing a lot of dental implants made from MGC. I'll start looking on the FDA site for other medical devices using Macor. Even if this doesn't lead to any next gen flowerpot parts I still like the idea of knowing we can do this. Thanks for the challenge @invertedisdead I'm going to move forward with machining the vrod from ceramic. Perhaps you all can help us hash out the safety factor. The only reason for starting with the vrod is because it has fewer parts and is made from smaller dia material. At this point I'm keeping the sic dish on top as I've never been a fan of the of a dirty ceramic nail.

macor_1.jpg
Edwyn this looks Awesome , hope it all works out well. I know I'd love to try one out.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
I wanna try a dab off it, with conductivity right around Quartz but no porosity it could have the clean flavor of Quartz, while being much easier to take care of.

@NewVape710 Interesting, I thought Hive was alumina? (Al203)

Let me clarify. I'm not aware of what material hive uses to make their products. I especially don't want to be the source of spreading any unconfirmed information about another company's products. The only point I was trying to make is the threads don't look molded or cast. The treads look like the ones we machined yesterday in the MGC material (Machineable Glass Ceramic). I'm not finding any specifics about the grade of ceramic on their site. Do you mind me asking where the AL203 came from.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm not finding any specifics about the grade of ceramic on their site. Do you mind me asking where the AL203 came from.

It's just a guess, I haven't hit a Hive nail in years but they self clean at temperature like alumina. Hive also did that Onyx line which was silicon nitride.

Can a shape like this be machined? I thought the hollow neck of a banger like this would need to be cast but I don't know for certain.

HIVE_Ceramics_Quave_Banger_14mm_Male_90_large.jpg

invertedisdead,

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
It's just a guess, I haven't hit a Hive nail in years but they self clean at temperature like alumina. Hive also did that Onyx line which was silicon nitride.

Can a shape like this be machined? I thought the hollow neck of a banger like this would need to be cast but I don't know for certain.

HIVE_Ceramics_Quave_Banger_14mm_Male_90_large.jpg

No, that would be molded.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
This vendor sells Macor and a variety of other ceramic materials that can be machined. It might be worth calling them to see what they suggest.
https://www.aremco.com/machinable-ceramics/

thanks I did call them. this is a good source

They informed me of the other viable choice you all had already pegged. That's 502-1400-BF which stands for Bisqued fired aluminum Oxide ceramic. Aremco assured me that Macor was just as safe as alum oxide for our heat range application. He mentioned the alum oxide was pores and would never be able to keep clean compared to macor. He did not have any other vaporizer predict, or other FDA 510k devices. I also left Corning a message requesting FDA reports.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!

They informed me of the other viable choice you all had already pegged. That's 502-1400-BF which stands for Bisqued fired aluminum Oxide ceramic. Aremco assured me that Macor was just as safe as alum oxide for our heat range application. He mentioned the alum oxide was pores and would never be able to keep clean compared to macor. He did not have any other vaporizer predict, or other FDA 510k devices. I also left Corning a message requesting FDA reports.

Man, you are on top of it. This is exciting stuff! I think I'd be most interested in a Macor bowl and carb cap but I'll be following this developmentt train with rapt attention.

superdang9000,
Reactions: JCat

cascades

You are very welcome. I really appreciate that you are trying to make the best product possible. I've worked for folks over the years that simply did not have that kind of dedication. It is nice to see someone trying to do things right.

Stepping back though:
From what I have been able to read about the flower pot system(I have not yet purchased one), unless one is dabbing at the same time as vaping herb, the head functions essentially as a place to heat air before it goes into the body/bowl.

i think a simple glass insert the right size that goes into the head would mean that the air was being heated against glass. The insert could fit at the bottom into your glass bowl(which you already sell). A simple glass plug with some holes drilled(that fit into the top of the insert) could function as a diffuser(basically replacing the shower head). you might need a ring at the bottom to support the glass properly. The existing metal head would prevent air from traveling except through the glass and would provide support. You sidestep the tolerance issues this way. I don't think you really need a tight glass joint between the bowl and the head insert.

The point of this is in part is marketing. It lets you say in marketing literature that you have 100% glass vapor path as an option. Vapolution is the only vender with a real 100% glass vapor path I've seen. Most of the others seem to fake it one way or another and the V3 has limitations the New Vape products do not. NV does a rather nice job of working with existing glass rigs.

Last edited:
cascades,

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
What was price of material? 5x as titanium? Waiting for price of end product if it comes.

Hogni,

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed

Seeking Higher Ground
Manufacturer
You are very welcome. I really appreciate that you are trying to make the best product possible. I've worked for folks over the years that simply did not have that kind of dedication. It is nice to see someone trying to do things right.

Stepping back though:
From what I have been able to read about the flower pot system(I have not yet purchased one), unless one is dabbing at the same time as vaping herb, the head functions essentially as a place to heat air before it goes into the body/bowl.

i think a simple glass insert the right size that goes into the head would mean that the air was being heated against glass. The insert could fit at the bottom into your glass bowl(which you already sell). A simple glass plug with some holes drilled(that fit into the top of the insert) could function as a diffuser(basically replacing the shower head). you might need a ring at the bottom to support the glass properly. The existing metal head would prevent air from traveling except through the glass and would provide support. You sidestep the tolerance issues this way.

The point of this is in part is marketing. It lets you say in marketing literature that you have 100% glass vapor path as an option. Vapolution is the only vender with a real 100% glass vapor path I've seen. Most of the others seem to fake it one way or another and the V3 has limitations the New Vape products do not. NV does a rather nice job of working with existing glass rigs.

On the vapolution i'm not seeing the heating element or what material the actual bowl chamber is made from. I would need to see one taken apart before I could agree it's all glass. It does appear to be all glass above the bowl.

Cannabis-Hardware-Ed,

Baron23

I researched it, and the machineable ceramic compound MACOR contains Fluorine as one of the chemical elements in its formula! :o

I'm sure if you say so then it is so....but being used in the forumlation and being present as an element to outgas are different, I believe.

"Macor has a high use temperature (800°C continuous to 1,000°C peak). It has a low thermal conductivity and is a useful high temperature insulator as well as an excellent electrical insulator. Macor has no porosity and when properly baked out, will not outgas. It is strong and rigid and, unlike high temperature plastics, will not creep or deform. Macor is also radiation resistant."
I have been recently using a glass bowl from the NV source and do indeed like it over the Ti bowl for taste. However, I agree with Edwyn's ( @NewVape710 ) view that blown glass just doesn't seem to be able to be made with the tolerances we would probably all prefer.

Now, with that said, I'm not at all unhappy with my Ti bowl...just a bit better taste with the boro.

Edwyn, for my part I'm very happy with my Showerhead in Ti and, and this is just me, personally my interest in the MACOR (or other machinable ceramic) is for the bowl/stem. Its very exciting that you are looking into this and moving forward so quickly. Wow.

So, I'm still rocking my SH and liking it a good bit. But this past wknd I was out of town visiting a friend who has the Vrod with SiC and we banged it a bit. Love the design...highly integrated and also clean and stylish.

Edwyn, I believe I read a prior post of yours that you were planning to get some small qty of coils that are suitable for the Vrod but with D-nail type XLR and pin-outs. Is this going to happen. I already have three controllers so there is my primary interest in a compatible coil. That a bit of a barrier to entry for me wrt to getting a Vrod.

I like New Vape products very much and tend to tout their Pax reloading tool and fine grinder anywhere and everywhere I can... along with the FP. I also own them as well as recommend them.

But I have stepped it up and in the last couple of days I bought a NV Micro-20 rosin press from a friend (and there are two more dual port controllers that came with it....I think controllers are getting it on and reproducing at night...where did they all come from! LOL). Just got home with it and haven't even had a chance to set it up (need to go to Home Depot tomorrow and get some mounting screws and washers for the hydros).

I know...wrong thread...but this NV press is built like a T-72 tank. I'm talking solid as a rock (also heavy...oh, my aching old back LOL). Its just a totally top notch product as far as I can tell from fit, finish, design, and apparent durability. We did use it to squish before packing it up to move and it worked wonderfully. Not sure that me and my little bitty tolerance need a press like this, but as far as I can tell its a commercial grade product and will last a lifetime. Maybe a bit much for home use (though that's my use case), but I can readily see this for smaller commercial operations. Maybe I need to set up a small local co-op in my garage for squishing with the Micro-20. LOL

Just though I would drop in and say hi after reading about all of the exciting and new initiatives coming out of NV on the FP.

Cheers

Last edited:

cascades

The vapolution vapor path consists of a glass pipe that is inserted into a test tube. the test tube is fastened into a ceramic heater(it can be removed for cleaning). The air all comes in through the top(around a cap). There is no heating of air against anything except glass. The V3 has no real bowl. You stuff herb up the pipe. The V3 is a very simple system, but it does work and really is 100% glass. I own a V3. Here is my review of the product:http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapolution-3-0.15949/page-25#post-1285417

You control the V3 by taking the glass pipe in/out of the test tube. If the herb falls out, you have a bit of a problem and need to upend the unit to clear the test tube.

One limitation is that the V3 isn't really made to work with existing glass like the SH, but it is a less expensive simple unit. The V3 works fine with bud, but you can't shake. Vapolutions sells a bowl for concentrates. I have not used it.

With the NV product, you move the head back and forth to control things(and the bowl is stationary), with the V3 the "bowl"(pipe) is moved around and the heater is stationary.

On the vapolution i'm not seeing the heating element or what material the actual bowl chamber is made from. I would need to see one taken apart before I could agree it's all glass. It does appear to be all glass above the bowl.

Last edited:
cascades,
Reactions: graydeh1

thekayo

Big thanks to new vape! I have been using my showerhead daily for a few months. It still functions as new. It is very easy to keep clean and boy is it efficient. If anyone is still thinking about this decision, don't.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
@Baron23 I am jealous of your NV press :D That thing looks amazing, so compact in size. My 'self built' press (a standard 20 ton shop press, plus NV plates and controllers) is nearly as tall as me and definitely wider! :)

Even if you arent going to be letting others use the press, the fact that you'll be able to extract so easily and fully will be amazing. Being able to press a months worth (for example) of rosin in one go is much better for me than using the old hair straighteners and having to do an extraction every day. And the coconut oil I make afterwards, wow :)

Back to the FP...

I've been doing rosin dabs on the VRod exclusively, since around the beginning of May. I've done maybe 5 bowls of flower in that time, just recently had 3 of those bowls. And almost instantly my lungs and chest started producing way more phlegm, way more morning coughing and trouble breathing.

So there we have it. Vaping flower is not that great for me. On the other hand, doing organic rosin dabs all day and all night on the VRod SiC dish keeps my lungs clear and phlegm free and my head high as a kite.

cascades

I've been looking at the parts for sale at New Vape.

I have an idea for a rig that can be made from parts:

https://www.newvape.com/18mm-male-flowerpot-glass-bowl-9306
https://www.newvape.com/enail-controller-bundle

add those with a small piece of 20mm pyrex tubing and something like this
to regulate airflow
https://www.newvape.com/ufo-carb-cap-9303
(I'm not sure if this is the right size)

I might need to work with a glass person to get the ends of the tubing flared or tapere to fit into the bowl. I think that is a pretty small job though.

I might also need to make some kind of holder for e-nail and tube. I'm not quite sure how that ought to be done.

This would be strictly a very simple flower rig, but it would have a 100% glass vapor path((and air heat intake).

Some bells/whistles I can think of that might be handy:
a) some kind of sensor to figure out just how hot the air being focused on the blow is a
b) a way to measure air flow through the thing(I think this i much less important).

I wanted to run this one by folks first, but when I have time in th fall, this is something I'd be really tempted to try to put together. I kind of see this one as like assembling a stero

cascades,
Reactions: KingSol

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
sounds like the heat exchanger would be the 20mm pyrex tube with the enail heater around
method reminds me of the vapexhale evo

Pyr0,

cascades

That is kind of what I have in mind. However, I think the Vapexhale EVO has a stationary heater. I'm thinking of using the pyrex tube kind of like the way the showerhead uses the head to heat air before it is drawn into the bowl. I'm not sure the right way to regulate air flow.

New Vape has a LOT of nice parts for sale, but it will take a bit of time to figure out how to use them correctly.

sounds like the heat exchanger would be the 20mm pyrex tube with the enail heater around
method reminds me of the vapexhale evo

How would that generate convection? That's more like how my quartz (conduction) e-nail works.
Do you h ave a link to something like your enail? I'd prefer to buy something off the shelf if I can find it. The idea here to heat air that can be drawn into a glass bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
cascades,

JCat

Accessory Maker
My VROD head is stuck together. No problem at all getting the SiC dish off, but can not get the 2 sections apart. I'm going to go buy some straps to make some strap wrenches later :(

I've been meticulous about regularly taking it completely apart ... doing so twice a week (when I pack up to go to the cottage for the weekend, and when I pack up to come back). This weekend when ready to return to the cottage I was unable to take it apart. I've spent much time on this and even bought a couple strap wrenches today so I could exert extra force ... still no luck :(

Any advice would be appreciated ...

Top Bottom