Newbie trying to mix concentrates with peppermint oil for use in an O-pen Vape

Namio

Hi! I'm new here. My name is Namio and I'm pretty new to marijuana in general, but I LOVE vaping. I'm hoping some more experienced people can help me figure out how to make my ideal vape liquid. I'll go into detail about what I've been trying and the different experiments I've done and see what you guys think. And if this is the wrong place to put this thread, let me know and I'll move it. :-)

Here goes:
I HATE smoking, but I tried it as a last resort to deal with my horrible insomnia. Weed works beautifully for me, and has the added bonus of being an effective treatment for my anxiety. But I really hate smoking, so I pretty much immediately turned to vaping when I decided to regularly use marijuana.

I got an O-pen vape setup and immediately knew I had found my ideal vape: small, discreet, and with a wide range of options. But I pretty quickly decided I wanted to try and make my own juice for it. So I went to youtube.

I made a couple of batches of e-juice using some indica flower and vegetable glycerin. Using a syringe, I put my e-juice into the open vape and gave it a try.

My juice worked great...when it actually vaporized. But only about half of it would wind up actually becoming vapor, while the rest would leak from the main chamber into the other chamber, eventually making it into my mouth when I took a draw. Luckily, the glycerin tastes like sugar. I tried using the liquid as a tincture instead, but it had virtually no effect on me in that form. So I started looking for alternatives.

First, I tried getting a regular nicotine vape, just in case the problem was that my juice was incompatible with the open vape. The vape acted pretty much the same, with a lot of liquid ending up in my mouth, only it also burned some of it, too.

So, I decided to go a different route.

I had read about some people vaping with essential oils, and how they really aren't really suitable for a vape designed for e-juice. By then, I had graduated from the open vape brand cartridges to Gold Star Concentrates. I LOVE these concentrates. They're easy for me to vape, strong as hell, and get me to sleep easily most of the time. But I was always sad about the tiny bit of concentrate that was always left in the chamber when the cartridge was spent. I decided to try something.

I got some food grade, organic, pure essential peppermint oil and put it in the spent cartridge. I left it sitting for a while, shaking the cartridge occasionally to mix up the oil. Within a few hours, the clear peppermint oil had turned a nice amber color.

I tried the mixture and instantly LOVED it. The peppermint oil gives an intense throat hit, but it also feels AMAZING. Not only does the weed effect kick in, I also have a mouth that feels minty fresh and sinuses that feel clear and open. Weirdly, I tend to get a more intense high from this mixture than I do from the regular concentrates lately. Not sure why that is.

The only problem with this mixture is that it leaks out of the pen. A lot. As far as volume lost, it's not as bad as the e-juice was, but it leaks out of the BOTTOM of the cartridge and I frankly don't know how it hasn't shorted the battery yet. Little bits of it also end up in my mouth sometimes (again, not nearly as bad as the e-juice), which means I need to keep water nearby when it starts to get bad. Pure peppermint oil hitting the mouth doesn't taste horrendous (IMO), but it is not exactly pleasant, and it starts to burn a little if I don't manage to wash it down.

So, that's where I am right now. Moving forward, I'd love to get some advice on the best way to approach creating my ideal vape liquid.

What I want is to be able to make my own peppermint oil/marijuana oil mixture for use in an open vape or one that's equally portable. I have a couple of theories about how to do this, based on some of the reading I've done.

It would be amazing if I could start with the flower and end up with the liquid. When I was making the e-juice, I used the double boiler method, placing the flower and glycerin into a sealed mason jar and simmering it in water to release the THC (I made butter for my dad a similar way). I'm theorizing that I might be able to infuse peppermint oil the same way. A lot of people have recipes for infusing marijuana into various oils like in butter, so I'm theorizing that the peppermint oil should be able to infuse well. The only problem is that this is just my theory, and I understand NOTHING of the science behind the infusion process. I'm hesitant to run an experiment right now, because I have very, very little flower right now, and I like to keep at least a little bit on hand as a back up if I run out of vape liquid. If anyone has any sciencey insight into whether this would be an experiment worth running, I would be grateful.

The other problem I'm having is with the oil leaking out of my pen. I feel like if I knew a bit more about the insides of these cartridges, I might be able to theorize either how to prevent the leaks or which different vape would be able to handle my oil. However, this is information I have not been able to find on the internet, so I'm flying blind. Any insight into why these leaks are happening and how I can go about vaping leak free in the future, I'd be extremely grateful.

Anyway, thanks for reading my wall of text. I look forward to learning from all of you. :-)

-Namio

Namio,
Top Bottom