• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

New York Times calls for federal legalization!

tuk

Okay, I call bullshit! Abstain from cannabis for a minimum of 20 hours or ideally 44 hours and of course only between 6:00 and 10:00. What a crock of shit. Please give me a credible source for this information, or did you just pull it out of your ass. What a joke!

Experiment on yourself by following his regime for 4 weeks ...then you will know first hand if it's bullshit or not.

Please report back with your findings.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Okay, I call bullshit! Abstain from cannabis for a minimum of 20 hours or ideally 44 hours and of course only between 6:00 and 10:00. What a crock of shit. Please give me a credible source for this information, or did you just pull it out of your ass. What a joke!

I call foul. You can disagree with his opinion but you have to be nice about it. This language is definitely not nice. I won't give you a point if you apologize.

Gunky

Well it was pretty much of a crock. And I hate it when people go all self-righteous and preachy about the right amount of weed for everybody else. If Chill Dude has to apologize for pointing out the obvious maybe the other cat should apologize for patronizing bs...

I liked Chill Dude's post. I thought he was deflating pomposity with colorful language.

Last edited:

tuk

^^MindFork was only providing a counter argument to the idea that you can't consume too much cannabis, how is that self-righteous, preachy & patronizing?

By all means attack the content of what is being said ...but there is no excuse for attacking him on a personal level, it only limits and degrades the discussion.

Are we really saying we've never met a single person who has over consumed cannabis to the detriment of their health?

Last edited:

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
MindFork said:
Cannabis can have a very positive effect on consciousness when used wisely, in moderate doses, with plenty of "recovery" time in between sessions. (20 hours at a minimum and 44 hours ideally, putting the sweet spot at 6pm-10pm with a day off here and there.)

I try to follow cannabis science (something of a hobby) and I don't remember this tidbit from any source. Would that "recovery" time be the same for all? And what is "recovering" exactly?

I disagree with other parts of your post, but without citing a source for the above, I'll just say we have differing opinions and leave it alone.

tuk

I try to follow cannabis science (something of a hobby) and I don't remember this tidbit from any source. Would that "recovery" time be the same for all? And what is "recovering" exactly?

I disagree with other parts of your post, but without citing a source for the above, I'll just say we have differing opinions and leave it alone.

Replace "recovery" with "tolerance break" & see how that reads.

tuk,

Gunky

All the rest of us not following those rules are a bunch of unwise bums!;)

But to get back on topic, it's amazing to me that the NYT is coming out in favor of legalization. As somebody mentioned, this is by no means courageous leading from the edge - they waited till a majority were already being polled for legalization. And over the years they've told some awful howlers. But still there is a sense that this is finally happening. They are even beginning to make noises about letting some of the drug war pow's out.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Legalization will happen, and we should all be thinking about good cannabis education for kids and new tokers (soon to be vapers). I foresee far too many people abusing cannabis because they think it's totally safe and ok to use.

There really isn't a "small dose" of MJ. You're either high, or you're not high. Only people who use daily build up enough tolerance that they can have a tiny bit and feel "mostly normal" like someone who has a glass of wine with lunch and goes back to work.

I think we can all agree that MJ isn't conducive to doing most types of work. Even when legal, being high at work is just a bummer for everyone involved.

Also, I think it is easier than most people realize to become dependent on MJ. Not "addicted" in the truest sense, but dependency is pretty easy. Some kind of educational info is needed to point out the warning signs like occasional use turning into daily use, turning into use earlier and earlier in the day, turning into wake and bake 7 days a week.

Sorry, but there is a lot wrong with wake and bake 7 days a week, productive at work or not.

Cannabis can have a very positive effect on consciousness when used wisely, in moderate doses, with plenty of "recovery" time in between sessions. (20 hours at a minimum and 44 hours ideally, putting the sweet spot at 6pm-10pm with a day off here and there.)

Going past that point will have detrimental effects on cognitive ability, emotional self-expression and individual presence (and empathy) when communicating with others.

Blunting emotional self-expression is probably the most harmful aspect of cannabis abuse. Yes, abuse. Someone who gets drunk all day long, every day is usually trying to drown out some unhealed emotional pain. This usually applies to cannabis overuse as well.

I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for this, and that plenty of people will chime in that they are emotionally "fine," productive at work, etc. Well, try taking a week off and see if you get better at your job and connect with people more. A bonus will be that you remember your dreams again, and in that process one can be shown underlying emotional issues that had been neglected because of the feeling of well-being that cannabis induces.

All I am advocating for here is healthy usage, and I know that differs from person to person. However, I have known many people who abused cannabis, ultimately to the detriment of their loved ones, their career and their own emotional well-being. It is a powerful, seductive substance that should be used wisely with full awareness of its potential dangers.
I have bolded quotes in the above, seemingly contradictory messages.

Not sure how one can use "moderate" doses when every single time you touch it you get "high".

Perhaps if you are only using it in order to "effect consciousness", that is the case.
Some of us, while enjoying the consciousness effects, AT TIMES, are using it - daily - to become functional, whether physically, mentally, or both. Without it, we CANNOT be productive. I have a family member with such severe anxiety that he cannot hold a job without cannabis. With it, he is bright, articulate, incredibly smart, capable, and adaptive. He uses very little cannabis, just enough to keep the anxiety at bay. Does that mean he's high? maybe in your dichotomy, but we wouldn't classify that as "high" if his Xanax did the same thing for him (it never did).

I don't get "high" during my work day. I do, however, USE cannabis several times during my day to maintain productivity, clear thinking, and reduce my own anxiety issues. It also helps a lot with my physical pain, which otherwise would INTERFERE with my working life.

Very few people are even aware that I use cannabis. Key people are aware.. like my boss. and my supervisor. and my lead. they monitor my work.

I receive a lot of accolades at work, btw. from customers, from co-workers, and from my bosses. More now than I used to, before cannabis (BC). I'm also AT WORK more now, since I'm not home in pain.

Have you seen this?

Nesta

Sorry, but there is a lot wrong with wake and bake 7 days a week, productive at work or not.

Going past that point will have detrimental effects on cognitive ability, emotional self-expression and individual presence (and empathy) when communicating with others.

Blunting emotional self-expression is probably the most harmful aspect of cannabis abuse. Yes, abuse. Someone who gets drunk all day long, every day is usually trying to drown out some unhealed emotional pain. This usually applies to cannabis overuse as well.

I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for this, and that plenty of people will chime in that they are emotionally "fine," productive at work, etc. Well, try taking a week off and see if you get better at your job and connect with people more. A bonus will be that you remember your dreams again, and in that process one can be shown underlying emotional issues that had been neglected because of the feeling of well-being that cannabis induces.

All I am advocating for here is healthy usage, and I know that differs from person to person. However, I have known many people who abused cannabis, ultimately to the detriment of their loved ones, their career and their own emotional well-being. It is a powerful, seductive substance that should be used wisely with full awareness of its potential dangers.
I hesitate to out myself as a lightweight on this forum- but the way I use cannabis is the way that @MindFork recommends, that is: sparingly. I use it recreationally not medicinally & I like to enjoy it. If I use cannabis too often it's just not as much fun. The negatives outweigh the positives.

I've never counted the hours for 'recovery' but for me, & I'm sure others as well, I do need some recovery time to make the next session enjoyable. For example, if I get high at 3pm & the effects have worn off by 6 or 7pm & I'm dragging a bit… if I get high again it's usually not worth it. I don't really get high, I mostly get tired. So what's the point? And doing double & triple sessions … I'm definitely dragging the next morning, & I don't like that.

Cannabis is a unique treat for me, on the order of a religious sacrament ["a positive effect on consciousness"]. And even if I have to wait a week between sessions - so be it. The next time will be that much more special & enjoyable.

Now I don't know about "moderate doses" [I like to get way gone] or the "6-10pm" thing or "blunting emotional self-expression" but less is more for some of us.

edit: I see that MindFork has created a new thread. I'll use that thread for any further thoughts I have about this subject.

Last edited:

Nesta

Part 5 of the NY Times Legalize It series is out. Titled "Track Records", it looks, in a mostly positive way, at how things are going in Colorado.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/o...ecommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine&_r=0

And this related article looks at two Colorado towns, Crested Butte- that has allowed the sale of marijuana & Gunnison that has not -but will vote in November & seems to be leaning toward allowing it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/o...-in-the-rockies-a-chill-marijuana-debate.html

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
People of NY need to unite and get a referendum on the ballot so they can vote to make cannabis legal in their state. Let the people choose. Get the legal ball rolling on the Atlantic coast. I couldn't find a picture of the old girl holding a vaporizer. A bong will have to do.

Last edited:

Nesta

People of NY need to unite and get a referendum on the ballot so they can vote to make cannabis legal in their state. Let the people choose. Get the legal ball rolling on the Atlantic coast. I couldn't find a picture of the old girl holding a vaporizer. A bong will have to do.

Not all states have the right to put initiatives on the ballot. I'll have to double-check but I'm pretty sure we don't have that right in NY. Either that or it's very hard to do. Although NY has a liberal reputation we have a dysfunctional legislature. It's hard, if not impossible, to change or pass new laws- at least without cooperation from the upstate conservative Republicans, who control the state senate &, of course, the governor.

It was a near miracle that the MMJ bill passed in June. [It had been passed in the state assembly annually for 10-12 years but the senate never let it out of committee for a vote until this year. And then look what happened- the governor [Cuomo] gutted the bill].

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I downloaded this off a blog. It's kinda long, but well worth the read.

I always point out to marijuana prohibitionists that marijuana has never ruined my life or the life of anyone that I know. That’s because we use marijuana responsibly and are responsible people. What I also point out to marijuana prohibitionists is the ramifications on my life and people that I know as a result of being caught with marijuana in the wrong place at the wrong time by law enforcement. The unjust laws that go along with marijuana prohibition have wreaked havoc on many lives that I have personally witnessed, despite the fact that the plant itself is harmless.

Many of my friends have served jail time for marijuana only offenses. I have met many people over the years while running this blog that have served state and/or federal prison time for marijuana only offenses. Days/months/years have been taken from these people; days that they can never get back. And for what? For being caught with marijuana? A plant that is harmless? The thought of taking someone’s freedom for marijuana makes me sadder than I can express in words.

I know a lot of people that have the ‘marijuana scarlet letter’ attached to their names due to marijuana prohibition. The ‘marijuana scarlet letter’ is what I call having a marijuana offense on your record that potential employers, landlords, etc can see when they pull up a background check. I know way too many people that only have a single marijuana offense on their record and can’t get a decent job as a result. Not having a decent job can ruin someone’s life very quickly, and all it takes is one marijuana offense on one’s record and that painful reality can become sadly real.

Having a marijuana offense on one’s record can also make it almost impossible to go to college since you can’t file for grants and other financial assistance. From the federal government’s FASFA website, “if you are convicted of a drug-related felony or misdemeanor that took place while you were receiving Federal student aid, you will become ineligible to receive further aid for a specified period of time upon conviction.” If you are able to get through college without financial assistance, congratulations. But if you are like the average college student, and whether or not you get financial aid largely determines whether or not you go to college, getting a marijuana conviction can ruin your college hopes in a hurry.

One of the saddest things that I hear about and have witnessed is when the government takes children away from their parents, solely and only because of marijuana. I know a lot of responsible parents that prefer to have a toke at the end of the day rather than a glass of wine. If a K-9 cop came bursting through the door and found a parent with a bottle in their hand in front of their kids it’s OK, but if the same K-9 cop finds one joint tucked away inside of a drawer of a dresser out of the reach of children he can decide to rip the children out of their home and charge the parent with multiple felonies. I simply can’t believe that anyone thinks that scenario is acceptable, yet it happens regularly. Disgusting.

I’ve heard some prohibitionists try to soften their stance while still keeping marijuana prohibition in place. They say something like, ‘marijuana is decriminalized in your state, so you have nothing to worry about, it’s not like you are going to jail.’ I can speak from first hand experience that getting a marijuana ticket is not as bad as going to jail, but it’s harsher than marijuana prohibitionists lead on. My best friend was riding in my car when we got pulled over for no reason. He had a pipe in his pocket, and I had about 14 grams in my pocket. After an extensive search by the cops and a successful field sobriety test on my part, all the officers found was the pipe and a personal amount of marijuana that we both accepted.

We were given a ticket ($500 each), which according to marijuana prohibitionists we just needed to pay and be on our merry way, right? Wrong. My buddy and I got our licenses suspended for 6 months. This wasn’t a problem for me but it was a huge problem for my friend. Because he lost his license he lost his job. Because he lost his job he lost his home and his car. His life is back on track after a long detour, but he wouldn’t have had to go through all of that in the first place had it not been for marijuana prohibition. For a long time marijuana prohibition, even a decriminalized version of prohibition in Oregon, ruined his life.

Last edited:

Kief

Medicated
The last part of this series is up, focus is on regulation: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/05/opinion/high-time-rules-for-the-marijuana-market.html?op-nav

They seem to agree with Washington's method of keeping the growers separate from sellers... I don't like that at all. I prefer to buy from the grower who can tell me exactly what I'm buying and how it was grown.

When this get's rescheduled, I'd like to see "big business" banned from the cannabis market completely by having a federal plant limit in place. I can't say exactly what that number should be, 100? 1000?... somewhere in-between should work. This would restrict the market to small businesses that could compare to craft breweries and small wineries.

While I was reading some of the comments below these NYT articles, I found one that said "cannabis is 10 times more potent than regular marijuana". This highlighted that the main problem of this whole mess is still "what the people know". The people still need a little more education on the subject, I made sure I thanked the New York Times Editorial Board for their part. I can't say it enough, spread the word!

Caligula

Maximus
News article reader response pages are full of trolls and idiots (not just the ones with names like "ObamaDictator666"). I wouldn't use anything I find there as an example of the average citizen or even reader of said publication.

Nesta

I might be naive, or optimistic - but I'm feeling this NYT series could be a turning point in the fight to legalize. They have a powerful, influential voice & they've laid out a very strong, logical argument. People will listen.

BTW- I put an all day edible to fine use today: Mountain biked to a remote lake, hung my hammock & relaxed. Occasionally jumped in the lake. Most of the time the only sounds I heard were the birds, insects & the wind in the trees. A perfect summer day, except that I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake- twice. I passed it on a narrow path when I was stashing my bike. I only saw it when I retraced my steps. I must have been within a foot or two of it. Fortunately my bike was between me & the snake on the 1st pass. And I happened to look down & saw it curled up- on my return trip a minute later. It was pretty mellow, just slowly moved away, didn't even rattle. [Hey how about a little warning here?] And a beauty too, a nice yellow & brown diamond pattern, with 10 rings on the rattle.

Top Bottom