New Vape Rituals

lwien

Actually, for me, my ritual starts BEFORE I receive it 'cause what happens is that I obsessively keep checking the tracking number status to see where it is in transit.

What's REALLY fucked though is after all that anticipation, FedEx, UPS, whatever, leaves a note on your mailbox or front door stating that they couldn't deliver it 'cause you weren't home when in fact..............you WERE !! (when sender requires a sig.)

(this could actually go in the Fuck You thread, eh?)

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
In Actuality, I do an overall visual inspection. See if anything looks out of the ordinary. Get an idea of the build quality. Actually compare how closely the model looks to the images that I've seen online. Not as thrilling as "jumping right in". But it saves me a host of problems. Especially, if I should detect anything off right away. I've had too many types of experiences with electronics to celebrate too early.:ugh: Pretty much anything reasonable that you can do with it before putting it in the charger covers it. (BTW, If I owned an off the grid, I would still do the full inspection.)

After the Full Recharge of the unit and when my coffee is ready, Then I get to know the behavior of how the electronics respond. I'm more like an anthropologist than an inspector an this point. Getting to know it's personality as opposed to say how well it works for me. Kinda figure what it's baseline operation is like. Saves me a lot of fumbling and waste during the get to know period.

If there is anything bad that does occur, I can detect it much earlier and RMA, if it is a serious enough problem. So many new companies and new products. Nearly all of them want to know the details, so they can improve on their current or any future models. Great time to be a vaporizer buyer.;)

Does all this qualify "technically" as an eccentric ritual? Not as eccentric as say, doing the banana dance around the package as soon as it arrives.:rofl:

Last edited:

subway13029

I guess I'll come out as the weirdo..I have this weird thing about when I get a new vape..I will open it and check it out as in do a once over..then I will put back in box and close up and put away for the night..then I will re read everything I have already read about said device that made me purchase it to begin with and I wait it out until the next day..it's almost a kind of I am in control type of thing..eventually I break first and I use the vape..it's almost as if I'm saying to self.."self your the boss of this relationship,not the vape" and then the next day I tear into it like a kid in candy store..but of course after it learned who was boss..

killick

But I like it!
Loads of great thoughts in here. For better or worse my first thought is 'charge' if no visible damage. Once it's charged I find YouTube a wealth of info. Anyone else who has opened a MiniVAP they will know why. They put Chinglish vcr manuals to shame, and also make IKEA shake their heads a bit...

But the first time I want too see how intuitive it is. I have a background in engineering and IT, and like to see how the manuf had dealt with the HMI topic (human machine interface). It's funny, but after awhile you start noticing how similar so many of these devices actually are, and how a seemingly subtle change can make a world of difference in operation. Plus you might learn some new great way totally to use it totally by happy accident, unless you drop it in the tub...

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The first thing I do when expecting a new vape is fully go over the manufacturer's site, youtube videos and its thread here on fc. By then I'm ready for use. When it shows up I check the parts list and make sure I don't have any questions about using it. Then I use it with whatever strain and whatever temp I have been camping on for the last few days to get a good idea of how it works with what I am used to. Then I'll start with other temps and strains, and see how well it fits into my established rituals, versus how much it is going to make me change mine. Then I pay attention to how much it weasels its way into my usage, given the other options at hand.

Beezleb

When I would evaluate a vape I would rarely read the manual at first.

If I can turn it on, figure out the temperature gage the operate it, than its a good vape. If I have to read a book on it, well this is gonna turn off many.

A vape should not be overly complicated on how to use it. I think the only time I really had to read something was maybe to fit a particular screen or how to attach a bag to the mouth piece. Most of this is on the internet via video.

If its digital, I like 186 degrees and similar heat on an anolog vaporizer.

killick

But I like it!
I just realized I do most of the 'review and research' before I order. When it gets to the mailbox my research is done, and UAT is starting... and then I just hope it's at least partially as good as it was *supposed* to be.

Does anyone remember how Netflix started? You rent a couple of titles, they mailed them to you with a return courier package, and it's all clean and tidy Vape-flix anyone?

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
The first thing I do when expecting a new vape is fully go over the manufacturer's site, youtube videos and its thread here on fc. By then I'm ready for use. When it shows up I check the parts list and make sure I don't have any questions about using it.

Yes the parts list! Good call. Also if the particular one you are buying is popular enough, there may be a fake version. All the sources He mentioned above apply for research and comparison. also Google the proper name of the unit you are considering and add "fake". Subtle things like packaging, the printed manual, screw threads, etc can tip you off as a few examples. Don't be paranoid or alarmed if something looks off, some manufacturers make small improvements with each batch.

Yea, I do my most intense research for the vape while tracking for the item. As if some last minute info would somehow appear and change what I do. :shrug: F5 the tracking site then research, repeat.

Or forget all what I said earlier, and do the banana dance around the package as soon as it arrives.:rofl:The topic is still about "New Vape Rituals". Right?

howie105

I try to see what glass and adapters I can make work then.

A few loads get set on fire.

Usually at some point I am back on the forum looking for answers to points I did not consider before purchase.

The real pain is figuring out where to store it and its supporting parts in the tool box with the other vapes.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I would have done enough research prior to its arrival to qualify for a research grant and in most cases would have taken copious notes as well. When it arrives I would unpack everything and verify that all the parts are there. Read the instruction manual in detail and clarify everything that isn't clear (more notes).
And....my newest ritual...throw out all the notes except those gleaned from FC :rockon:

And finally - Let's VAPE!!!!!

My family likes to joke that I'm so anally retentive that I'm not done with the manual until I read the Spanish and French version to make sure there isn't something missing from the English version :rofl:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm also one of those rare guys that likes to read the entire manual before using. My wife can't stand it. We played a lot of video games when we were dating and every time we got a new game I would grab the instructions and start reading while she jumped straight into the game. It would only take a couple of minutes and I was telling her how it was supposed to be done. Not a great way to build harmony in a relationship!

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I research copiously before purchase... then, I expect things to work intuitively.
My AAS was in computer programming for the human interface (Computer Program Application Development), and so I have a firm grounding in how interfaces should work. It transfers beautifully, btw, to analog vapes as well, as intuitive interface can be as elegant as the Vapman's, or as befuddling as.. well, I haven't bought a befuddler yet, but there are some, I've heard.

If I can't just pick it up, figure out nearly instantly where/how to load it, and how to use it (turn on, get vapor, set temp, etc.), then I consider it a failed design.

This applies not to just vapes, btw. When we first got our juicer, I had it up and juicing before the boxes were empty. Elegant design.

Yes, I too will slap forehead, read manual (I'll skim the Spanish version sometimes...), and then try again.

Oh! our rice cooker... got a fancy one with fuzzy logic. Not entirely intuitive. took me a couple of trips through the manual to be able to do whatever I want with it. I still occasionally have to refresh my memory of setting up breakfast in it.

Beezleb

LOL this is fun!

One of the first things I do is check to see if Ed's TnT makes any stems for the device:D

One day the light will shine while the stars align, and when it does... I'd like to see a Lotus with a custom Ed's stem:cool::razz:

I remember when Ed came here. It does my heart well to read such things.

killick

But I like it!
Speaking of which my brand new (repaired) Minivap is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday! Let's hope it arrives before I get on the plane for a week. These guys really know how to play with a persons emotional well-being ;)

lazylathe

Almost there...
I am a paper manual or Quick Start Guide kind of guy!
Give me something physical to hold and compare to the device.
I hate .pdf manuals... I find i print them off to make it easier.
Lately with moving, the printer is packed away... so S.O.L!!

But i usually go through as much of the thread as possible and then it is trial and error!!

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
1 - Read manual or start guide
2 - Confirm all parts and accessories are there
3 - Start charging batteries (if applicable).
4 - Look over the unit and get an idea of operation and cleaning routine
5 - Go back to relevant FC forum thread and see if there are any new comments
6 - Show off the new device to friends, but don't actually use it with them, even if they whine.
7 - Find a nice quiet time to sit with it by myself and do a burn-off and first fill
8 - Embrace the vaping experience - taste, thickness of vapor, heat, number of draws, etc.
9 - After knowing how the unit works for best performance, I introduce it to friends with great glee.
10 - Enjoy this communal vaping while relishing my friend's palpable envy.

Top Bottom