New to vaping, totally blocked with simple questions!

DraxDomax

Lol, like I was delivered into this life without the instruction manual. Everything that you don't even think about how to do, I am stuck and usually doing the wrong thing! :D

Please do the right thing and help a friend in need!

So, I bought a Mighty and some sweet nugs.

Questions:

1. The stuff that comes out when I exhale isn't as thick as smoke. It's more like that mist that comes out when you breathe in a cold room - Is this normal or I should be getting some clouding?

2. I understand I need to take REALLY slow inhalations, so as to prevent the heat dropping.
But how long should those inhalations be? Like, fill up my lungs, or half way?
Lot's of short ones or one as long as I can?

3. How many inhalations can I take?
Currently, I am doing 8 (two heat-ups, 4 inhalations every heat-up) at 320f, 10 @ 350f and 8 @ 380.
Each inhalation is about half of my lung's worth and really as slow as my patience would support.

Is that very little? Or very much? I am not getting really high. How many do you take?

4. Should I stuff the herb inside the capsule or just fill it but no compression?

Thanks again!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
1. The stuff that comes out when I exhale isn't as thick as smoke. It's more like that mist that comes out when you breathe in a cold room - Is this normal or I should be getting some clouding?

That's normal. Vapor is not as dense as smoke. That thick smoke is full of unwanted burnt plant material. Clouds have a lot to do with lighting. Try exhaling into an LED light, you might be surprised how much vapor was actually there.

2. I understand I need to take REALLY slow inhalations, so as to prevent the heat dropping.
But how long should those inhalations be? Like, fill up my lungs, or half way?
Lot's of short ones or one as long as I can?

Whatever is most comfortable to you, you're in complete control!

3. How many inhalations can I take?
Currently, I am doing 8 (two heat-ups, 4 inhalations every heat-up) at 320f, 10 @ 350f and 8 @ 380.
Each inhalation is about half of my lung's worth and really as slow as my patience would support.

As much as you want! It depends on how far you like to vape your material and what temperature you're at. If you ramp temperatures (as you describe above) you will generally be able to get more draws from the same load. Some prefer to go straight to the desired temperature, I hope you see much of this is so preferential, you're absolutely on the right track.

If you're not getting high try turning the temp up. If you're used to smoking cannabis you'll want to go to max temp. Keep in mind vaporizing will NEVER have the same psychoactive effects as smoking. Truthfully I've met many people who don't enjoy the pure effects of the vapor and prefer the drowsy fog that comes with smoking. Those people most likely don't actually enjoy the effect of THC, as anyone who has vaporized pure THC will assure you, it doesn't feel anything like smoking.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@DraxDomax Welcome to FC and welcome to vaping!
@invertedisdead gave you some sage advice.
I will add specifically for the Mighty (I have a Crafty, so basically same technique).
It doesn’t need to be a super, duper slow draw... just steady and not super fast. If the temp drops while you are pulling, no worries. It was built for that and will get you back up to temp in no (a few seconds) time. I tend to inhale for a good 7-10 seconds, until I am close to coughing, but not quite.
Are you grinding your buds or just using full nugs? If you aren’t grinding, it may help with clouds some. It is, at the very least, worth experimenting with.
I don’t use the capsules, so it may be basically same results, but I fill my bowl up to rim with ground herb and then I put one of the concentrate screens on top which packs it down a bit. I find I get bigger hits this way and it is the only way I get any decent clouds on the first hit of the session.
But to specifically answer your question, light tamping is a good way to go.
I also will do a few more hits per session, like 6-8. But that is MY method - everyone is different.
In case you aren’t aware, giving the power button a quick click will reset the shut-off timer.

Keep on asking questions and experimenting!

Some-new-user

@DraxDomax yeah some good advice for you there already. Welcome and well done for deciding to quit smoking.

1) again it's vapour you are inhaling here (like steam) so much different to smoking.

2,3 and 4. There's no instruction manual. There's no right or wrong way. Maybe if you don't feel like you're getting high you're reading other people's techniques and possibly reading in to this too much. I just went feet first when I got mine. Loaded a full bowl (ground herb) tapped down a little with the tool and puffed away. Didn't even think about the inhalation technique. I think I was on the preset temp but the higher temperatures seem to4 get me more sedated where the lower ones give me a slightly buzzy/productive feeling.

If you're really looking for blast off and aren't super concerned about preserving herb cram a bowl full,give it a light tamp down (liquid pad on top optional) start somewhere around 380 and just keep going until you physically (and mentally) can't hit it anymore.

When you feel like you're not getting anything else then the herb is spent. Save this in a nice jar. You can use it for edibles and extracts later. As above too don't worry about the 'clouds' yes it will look like you are breathing in cold weather. Higher temps will give you more thicker ones but I also feel that you are getting something when there are no clouds. Ambient temperature and humidity will also have a big influence on this.

I personally think that you're starting your temperature too low. 320 will give you something. Nice flavourful but I think you're looking for more than that at the moment. I initially compared the mighty to a pipe or bong and people say it's one of the closest vapes to smoking which I agree. Just be mindful. Made me cough my ass up first attempt. Not complaining. If it is too much for you a water bubbler is a good option but I think it's also risky in my opinion (water on top of a vaporizer that in the manual says not to touch with wet hands)

Finally the mighty has a sensor. When the temperature drops more than 5 degrees (not sure if its C or F or both) it stops the shut off timer or at least resets it for an extra minute (older model) or two (newer model) that's the annoying thing for me about taking really slow light hits because the shutoff timer always makes the vape vibrate mid session.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Don't worry about the other stuff until you're comfortable. I only use the pods for microdosing, again it's preference.

Good luck and welcome again

Vaporware

@invertedisdead With a low tolerance I can get into a drowsy fog vaporizing...don’t know if it’s comparable since I’ve never smoked, but (especially combined with edibles) the right dosage can really put me down. I usually only do it at night though, so if I spread it out more throughout the day of course the effects are less dramatic.

@DraxDomax If higher temps don’t work for you, a T-break might get you where you want to be. Try not consuming for at least a day (you probably know if you need more time to lower your tolerance), then try vaporizing for a while without smoking at all at least until you get a better handle on vaporizing.

If none of that works a different vaporizer might also do better for you, but the Mighty seems to work for most people who try it. I’m sure the Mighty thread on here has some tips for that specific device too. :)

Edit: It looks like some Mighty tips already came to you, although I’m sure the thread still has more good info. That’s what I get for starting a reply and coming back to finish it an hour and a half later!

Last edited:

Vaporware

Thank you guys!

I really appreciate your input, as herbs are quite expensive for me. So, as much as I would like to experiment, every nug lost is something I feel in my pocket.

(One of the reasons why I bought a vape)

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Mighty, but I haven’t heard that it’s great for conserving materials...I’m sure it is compared to smoking, but if you can you may also want to pick up something that you can use a little at a time with very small amounts to help stretch your materials.

I hear log vapes can be great for this, as are VapCaps. You can go the opposite direction and really load up the FlowerPot, but if you want to micro-dose with it it’s up to that task too.

I’m sure there are plenty of other good options, but those are the ones I’m familiar with or see recommended a lot for conserving materials. The Mighty is not since it has a fairly large oven and it’s a hybrid more suited to using a whole bowl in 1 session than just using it a little at a time whenever you want to use it.

Anything you can use on-demand really would be at least a decent option for conserving more. Things like the Nomad, Milaana, Splinter, iHeat, Tubo, Firewood, etc. Even a Sticky Brick if you like torches.

I’m not trying to put you off the Mighty, but if materials are really difficult to get where you are you should at least know there are options out there for using less at a time if you ever want or need to. :)

Vaporware,
Reactions: AtomicPB

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
The mighty works just fine with smaller loads imo it's a damn good extractor... - just use either a dosing cap with liquid pad inside or a thin layer on the native bowl with liquid pad on top, it's still a session but shorter

Vaporware

The mighty works just fine with smaller loads imo it's a damn good extractor... - just use either a dosing cap with liquid pad inside or a thin layer on the native bowl with liquid pad on top, it's still a session but shorter

I’m sure it depends on what you consider a small load, but I’m sure the caps and pads help. Thanks for the reminder!

I’ve been using the VC and FP with as little as like .01g though (not a typo) so if the Mighty works well with those kinds of doses I need to adjust my thoughts on it. Everyone I’ve seen use it has put a lot more in.

To be fair though, not everyone has a tolerance so low they can feel .01g anyway. ;)

Used2use

I don't even have a scale i would trust to be that precise ;), that's more like what falls on the floor :lol:
The volume of a capsule with liquid pad is similar to a normal vapcap load, a normal full capsule is like 2 vapcaps, full chamber 3.
For super tiny loads maybe also look at the vaponic / cheaponic

Used2use,
Reactions: Vaporware

Vaporware

I don't even have a scale i would trust to be that precise ;), that's more like what falls on the floor :lol:
The volume of a capsule with liquid pad is similar to a normal vapcap load, a normal full capsule is like 2 vapcaps, full chamber 3.
For super tiny loads maybe also look at the vaponic / cheaponic

Yeah, I have the Ti tip on the VapCap set to the smallest size and the new scale I got that measures down to 2 decimal places didn’t even register it!

Good to know that with the pad you can use a pretty small load in the Mighty too, but I just measured a full cap from the M which is not adjustable and it was ~.06-.07 so with the pad or capsule that would still put the Mighty at like 5-15 times the material a micro-adjusted VapCap takes.

Again, my tolerance is very low right now, so .01 may do nothing for a lot of people. It’s something to keep in mind for people who like to micro-dose or who have to really conserve materials though!

My weights were all AVB here BTW. That shouldn’t affect the relative amounts, but they could all be a bit higher with fresh materials.

Vaporware,
Reactions: Squiby

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Yeah, I have the Ti tip on the VapCap set to the smallest size and the new scale I got that measures down to 2 decimal places didn’t even register it!

Good to know that with the pad you can use a pretty small load in the Mighty too, but I just measured a full cap from the M which is not adjustable and it was ~.06-.07 so with the pad or capsule that would still put the Mighty at like 5-15 times the material a micro-adjusted VapCap takes.

Again, my tolerance is very low right now, so .01 may do nothing for a lot of people. It’s something to keep in mind for people who like to micro-dose or who have to really conserve materials though!

My weights were all AVB here BTW. That shouldn’t affect the relative amounts, but they could all be a bit higher with fresh materials.

Actually .005 gram is a nice session for me in the Crafty. Also I often put in .007 and do one session at 168c and later a second session at 185c (my boost temp). 3/4 draws par session. I do use the liquid pad to cover the small load.

Yesterday evening I did a load of .010 in my Solo 2 and woke up at 3AM in front of the TV. Yes I have a scale that measures to three digits past the period.

Ech0_

The way I use my mighty is 170c > 180c > 195c > 210c unless through water (if during day I might stop at 180c and store it for later, if I start higher I cough / risk gagging, with smaller loads i just take less draws on each temp and will typically step up a temp when the vapor starts becoming less visible in light.

You get better clouds the higher the temp you start / the quicker or fewer temp steps, but the best clouds come around 180c-195c unless you hit it at 170 or below for ages.

The way to load for best results is 0.03g is minimum pretty much (literally just enough to cover the screen AFTER you flatten the herb with the pick tool) and requires the liquid pad pressed on top.

Even if you increase load size, always put liquid pad on top, ensures your load gets evenly and completely vaped due the herb not flying about when you inhale etc and the liquid pad gets hot af to give it more of a conduction effect, I find it also causes you to cough less as literally no plant material gets past it and with the cooling unit staying clean you can take a scrapper tool to it after a few weeks/ months and collect golden brown lovelyness from it before revaping in a dosing capsule with liquid pad.

Pro tip: Buy a stand for it, but don't assume it won't still fall over, its top heavy so when it goes it hits hard and this one:

https://vapefiend.co.uk/products/mighty-stand

Will still fall over with small taps, I just slightly cracked the black plastic bridges? encasing the bowl after knocking it over for like the 50th time.

This tool is amazing for scraping clean your cooling unit or just empyting the bowl/lifting up the liquid pad when the vapes still hot.

https://vapefiend.co.uk/collections...ts/ultimate-scoop-tool-display-gallery-item-1

Last edited:
Ech0_,

DraxDomax

Actually .005 gram is a nice session for me in the Crafty. Also I often put in .007 and do one session at 168c and later a second session at 185c (my boost temp). 3/4 draws par session. I do use the liquid pad to cover the small load.

Yesterday evening I did a load of .010 in my Solo 2 and woke up at 3AM in front of the TV. Yes I have a scale that measures to three digits past the period.

I can definitely see how amounts like these can have an effect. I've mistakingly replaced a chok-full capsule after a big session, while in fact it seems like I can get a few sessions out of it.

In my defence, I will say that I am not throwing away the "spent" weed, I keep it for brownies :)

The weed conservation is amazing. The little weed I have, which I thought was barely a taster, now feels like a stockpile :)

I think I can fit about 0.5 gram into a capsule and use that for 4-5 days. Smoking is easily several times less efficient, as I can fit about 0.7 grams into a spliff and that's going to last me for a day, at most

DraxDomax,

DraxDomax

Question: what is that toggle thingy on the top part? I am talking about the thing you can move a little back and forth and it has the fancy 3d sticker on it.

PS: The taste at 160c is amazing. Especially after the initial hit has landed and suddenly I can taste/hear/see everything to much higher detail

DraxDomax,

Used2use

Question: what is that toggle thingy on the top part? I am talking about the thing you can move a little back and forth and it has the fancy 3d sticker on it.
that's for opening the cooling unit to clean it, there is a nice description in the well made manual - but nobody reads that, so here's the official vid

Used2use,
Reactions: Jill NYC

DraxDomax

that's for opening the cooling unit to clean it, there is a nice description in the well made manual - but nobody reads that, so here's the official vid

I swear I had a look in the manual, couldn't find a thing about it! :)

Thanks

DraxDomax,
Top Bottom