New to vaping, concerned about anxiety

stoneface

Hi, this is my first post.

I just ordered my MFLB and am waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, I am reading as much as I possibly can about this unit and vaping in general. I am new to all this.

I consider myself a heavy smoker, although I know other people smoke/use a lot more than I do. I am kind of a small, thin woman and just a little bit does it for me. I have been smoking every day for about 11 years, with a year and 9 month t-break in between. I have been averaging about an 8th a week for a few years now. That is enough to keep me high all the time. It is homegrown medicinal. I always use a little one hitter, and I usually start out with one or two hits and then maybe add one more by the end of the day when my tolerance has increased. I notice when I smoke with other people, they like to smoke a whole bowl or two, when I am more than satisfied with my one or two hits. Any more gives me anxiety. However, I also notice I like to smoke more often than others. I rarely like to get blown away, I just want to take the edge off.

Lately I feel like my smoking is catching up to me...I've had a smoker's cough for a while now. Lots of phlegm, etc. My throat has been feeling soar and i just feel like my lungs are pissed off at me.

Which is why I am interested in vaping. I bought one of those cheap $40 box vapes off ebay a couple years ago, tried it a few times, was unimpressed, and put it away. I knew it was cheap, though. But this brings me to the point of my post...I also experienced anxiety when trying it. I get anxiety very easily when it comes to mj, and I have always had to be careful. If I have a little too much, I panic basically. I don't have panic attacks anymore but anyone else who knows what I'm talking about knows how awful it is to deal with. Totally ruins a good buzz, to say the least.

Soooo I am trying to read as much as I can about the MFLB and how to use it so that I can experience this new high without freaking out. I feel like I really need this vaping thing to work out, for more reasons than even my health. A less sedating high seems good to me, but when people describe it as "energetic"...it makes me a little nervous that it will make me panic.

So I am wondering for the others who may have dealt with this sort of thing...did you struggle with this when learning how to vape? I really have never experienced a proper vape high. I really hope I enjoy it. Did you need to learn to enjoy it? Did anyone freak out too much? I know it's all in my head...but I've had some pretty bad, intense experiences.

Sorry for the long post...and this is a really great site.

stoneface,

Gunky

Yeah I think we've all had that sort of over-medicated, white knuckle thing happen. I don't think there is any more danger of it with vaporizing than combusting. I would say do much the same thing you do with combustion, one or two puffs, should be fairly similar. I like the vape experience better: cleaner, less smell, healthier, etc. You sound like you might like one of the 'log' type vapes (Purple Days, Woodeez and MyrtleZap). Very small bowl, like your one-hitter.

Gunky,

Nycdeisel

Anyone can 'freak out' using any method, if they have enough! Its different for everyone, but for me it seems to be relative to what you do most often, if you smoke most of the time, you will be more comfortable with smoking, and as you know with anxiety, feelings/mood prior to a situation can influence potential anxiety afterwards.
I didnt find it a rough transition from smoking to vaporizing, but I kind of did it at my own pace, for a while I smoked and vaporized simultaneously, eventually it got to the point where I was vaping almost all of the time and never smoked. Results vary.

I actually found it a more rough transition from different TYPES of vaporizers!, because they can vary so much. The effects produced by vapor has many factors, mainly the strain and the temperature that you are vaporizing at, as different cannabinoids are released at different temperatures.

Go slow, take just one hit like you would with smoking, as vaporizing is MORE efficient then smoking! you will get used to it as you perfect your technique, the MFLB does have quite a learning curve.

Gunky said:
You sound like you might like one of the 'log' type vapes (Purple Days, Woodeez and MyrtleZap). Very small bowl, like your one-hitter.
This is what I thought as well.

Nycdeisel,

2Supra4U

If you are growing your own you should experiment with different strains

some for sure bring out anxiety more then others

you need to find some strains that suit you and give you what you are looking for in terms of effect on you

thats the beaty of mj varied just like each of us (unless we come from the same shity family lol)

edit i recommend a log vape for sure

2Supra4U,

stoneface

Nycdeisel said:
Anyone can 'freak out' using any method, if they have enough! Its different for everyone, but for me it seems to be relative to what you do most often, if you smoke most of the time, you will be more comfortable with smoking, and as you know with anxiety, feelings/mood prior to a situation can influence potential anxiety afterwards.
I didnt find it a rough transition from smoking to vaporizing, but I kind of did it at my own pace, for a while I smoked and vaporized simultaneously, eventually it got to the point where I was vaping almost all of the time and never smoked. Results vary.

I actually found it a more rough transition from different TYPES of vaporizers!, because they can vary so much. The effects produced by vapor has many factors, mainly the strain and the temperature that you are vaporizing at, as different cannabinoids are released at different temperatures.

Go slow, take just one hit like you would with smoking, as vaporizing is MORE efficient then smoking! you will get used to it as you perfect your technique, the MFLB does have quite a learning curve.

Gunky said:
You sound like you might like one of the 'log' type vapes (Purple Days, Woodeez and MyrtleZap). Very small bowl, like your one-hitter.
This is what I thought as well.

I know, I'm going to be patient with myself and not give up on it. I am definitely not expecting to have it down on the first day or even the first month. I just want to make sure I don't get too much the first time, but also get enough to actually feel the new vape high. Sometimes if I go even a day without smoking, I will have to really take it easy and have like half a hit when I smoke again, I'm that sensitive.

Oh, and I got the MFLB because I could afford it mainly, and I read so many good things about it, and I like how portable it is. I don't have the money for another vape, and won't for quite some time. ;)

stoneface,

stoneface

2Supra4U said:

you need to find some strains that suit you and give you what you are looking for in terms of effect on you

thats the beaty of mj varied just like each of us (unless we come from the same shity family lol)

That's a good idea, but unfortunately I don't have much of a choice which strain I get. I get my supply from a family friend who grows only a couple kinds, and the other is an indica and I have never liked indicas. I barely feel them, actually.

stoneface,

Gunky

You'll have great results with the MFLB too. You can put quite a bit in a MFLB trench, so that first draw can be strong. Go slowly at first, maybe put small amounts in the trench to start.

Gunky,

SleepyHead

stoneface said:
2Supra4U said:

That's a good idea, but unfortunately I don't have much of a choice which strain I get. I get my supply from a family friend who grows only a couple kinds, and the other is an indica and I have never liked indicas. I barely feel them, actually.

I vape to prevent anxiety. I can never get to that point where I begin to panic how high I am, just doesn't happen, no matter how many stems (white tubes for log vapes) I vape. Vaprozing IMO gives a somewhat head-high, regardless of strain be it indica or sativa. Of course, sativa giving a head high & indica giving a body high, sativa will be the way to go for you.

I've only been vaping for almost a year daily, but combusted daily before that. I havn't been too high using a vape (MZ), no matter how much I pump into me. It's like at some point I stop getting higher, and just become more forgetful, with a huge crash after which will result in a few hour nap in the middle of the day. So just do enough to get you comfortably stoned, you'll have to play with it for a few days to find out how much you like to use.

I also have a MFLB, but hardly use it as my go-to vape is my MyrtleZap. I find myself getting less high with the MFLB using more bud than I do with the MZ, and getting higher on the MZ. Nonetheless the MFLB is amazing for portability and stealth. Your issue though doesn't seem to be efficiency, but if you usually pack one-hitters than a log-style vape will seem very similar to you, but you will be blown away from the effects so little can do.

SleepyHead,

crawdad

floatin
small amount (likely going to anyhow) and only one hit and just wait, especially the first time...to see how you feel. my experience is that vapor hits me a lot quicker than smoke, im usually feeling vaped within 2-3 minutes of first hit.

i remember the first time i used my current vape i filled it, not overfill but more than i ended up needing...i did get a bit of panic, it felt like an allergic reaction, HA! and every once in a while i can get there again if i want. best to keep reminding yourself that it passes and just part of the ride, i find it enjoyable.

the small and slow approach should lend itself to you figuring out how much you will need to get where you want to go without taking it too far. best to you and congrats on the new vape, its a nice unit.

crawdad,

Wispa

I've had those panic feelings before and I understand your concern since that is not a pleasant thing to go through. My friends are like yours in the way that they like to go bowl after bowl if it's available. Personally I find that to be a waste and just use what I need to get where I like to be, then stop for a while.

Everyone is different but since using a vapor I can't remember a time where I got that panic/fear feeling. If it happens at all (rare) it's while smoking. Your mind set and setting can play a big roll. If I keep myself busy or hang out with friends it never seems to happen. I have a very active metabolism and I'm a tall, slim guy. It doesn't take much to get teh effects I want and my tolerance level doesn't seem to change much. I think some of that has to do with me using a little at a time instead of bowl after bowl.

If you're getting high quality herb then I'd say take one good hit and wait 10 minutes. See where that takes you. The high I get from vaporizing is a little different but not so much that you won't be recognize or be comfortable with it. I vaporize at a low to moderate temp (don't know exactly I have Da Buddha temp knob set at about 12:30) and that tends to give a happy mental high that you don't really feel through your body very much. I can focus more easily compared to combustion methods and you'll probably be able to stretch that 1/8 for longer than a week.

For the first time I think I'd use it on your own and, as I said before, try one hit and wait about 8-10 minutes. The vapor high tends to come on a little bit slower. If you're good with that and feel you want more take another and go from there. From what you've described I really think you'll be happy at 1-2 hits. I'm sure you'd be fine with more but I'm just going by what you've written.

Two last things. Remember that you don't need to measure out as much herb for vaporization. I don't have a MFLB but lots of people that have them say a .1g gets you pretty nice. The second point is that I tend to get very thirsty when vaporizing. It may be my body type but vaporizing gives me cottonmouth more than any other method.

Take it slow until you find what's right for you and enjoy! :)

Wispa,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I am prone to anxiety also and find that the psychoactive compounds that are released at the lower temps I enjoy more. Higher temp vaping and full combustion are not what I look for.

Vaping that allows for a control over the process like a temp-controlled vape or the MFLB is what I use exclusively. Much better experience with no paranoia or anxiety.

willieR,

Vaporgin.

Mt.BakerVaper
I know that after being a casual smoker for four years and a daily smoker for about three months, i got my MFLB, took three rips out of it with techniques described on here, and was ridiculously medicated for some reason. After a small while it began to take more to reach the same effect. SO i would caution only taking one or two proper technique hits and wait 10-15 minutes and see where your at. Also watchout for vaping keif in the box, when i still didnt know what i was doing with the mflb, i vaped a trench, smoked two bowls passed between around five people, and then vaped a half trench of keif(6-9 hits) and had a massive panic attack, i had no idea what was going on, thought i was dieing, couldnt really see, couldnt feel my hands, and on top of all that i was skiing down mountains at night. Needless to say i will never do that again, haha.

Vaporgin.,

upriver

combustion-free
I have nothing to add that isn't already above, but I am in your boat, too. I love cannabis and use it frequently but I also cannot understand the high doses most people seem to enjoy. Most of the strains I grow are plenty potent enough that one or two good hits is plenty. Granted in a vape that might br 4-5 hits due to the nature of the devices.

Still, as above, start slow... wait ten minutes before adjusting your dose. I find it much easier to vape without reaching the panic stage, but yes it is still possible. The MFLB sounds perfect for you, though you might want to consider the AC adaptor for it.

upriver,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i know of one particular strain which will induce panic at high doses, the trick is trial and error, when you get a new batch, give it a shot when you don't have anything important to do, and analyze the effects.

you should also record the dosage, and the technique you used to administer the drug.

using this information, you will be able to achieve whichever effect you are aiming for.

OO,

stoneface

Well, I have had my MFLB for a couple days now...

So far so good as far as anxiety goes. I have tried it about 4-5 times and had no anxiety whatsoever. :D

Thanks for all the replies! What I did was pack a bowl in my one hitter, then empty it and grind it up, then I divided it by almost half, and that's what I started with. I have slowly increased the amount little by little and now I am up to a bowl (out of my pipe).

I haven't been able to really get a buzz, though. I figure it's because I'm new to it. The second time I used it I thought maybe I felt something, but I wasn't sure. I am wondering if I am not hitting it right, or if my tolerance is too high? I am following the directions to a T. I also noticed that my throat was soar a little bit after using it a few times. And it did make me cough a little bit.

I also noticed that it always tastes like burnt popcorn. Is this normal? I check after every time I take a hit to make sure I don't see any black, and I haven't seen any so far, so I don't think I'm combusting.

Thanks for the help :)

stoneface,

B.

War Criminal
burnt popcorn means that either you're running too hot or your bud is done, time to reload. since you said its always popcorn you may be running a little hot. also, keep in mind lb's tend to run a little hotter untilu break them in a bit, and then the temp evens out. you may want to try packing larger trenches, for me its easier to keep the temp in check with 3/4 to a full pack.

when i first started vaping it took me a bit to get used to how vaping takes longer after the hit to get you high, with smoke you get a much more immediate effect. i'll take a few hits off my lb and not feel satisfied, but if i wait ten minutes and let it kick in im good.

also, dry and finely ground bud are key for success.

finally, grab some new, stronger batts. powerex 2700s will give you much better hits than the stock batts.

good luck!

B.,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
@stoneface,

The above posts seem to pretty much cover all the bases. Just to add a bit more based on personal experience (mine and others) with Mary and more than a few other psychoactive substances (I'm an old Frisco head; since you're from the East Bay you probably know what I mean).

It bears repeating that set and setting are critical. You already have a predisposition, so until you have trained your brain to not expect anxiety, you will continue to have that challenge. Those who suffer from on-going panic attacks know all too well that the brain can act on its own volition, sometimes from cumulative stress without even a provocation. Add a trigger event and off the brain goes, regardless of how well the person logically understands that what is happening is disproportionate to reality. The brain has to unlearn this behavior. That you are having difficulty getting the expected result despite using a precise process, may be due to a strong anxiety expectation. Your mind has a mind of its own.

Any psychoactive substance at a strong dose is quite possible to be such a trigger because there is a sensation of loss of control, which can take a variety of forms. Control is extremely important for those with anxiety. Masking doesn't work. Most drugs which treat anxiety, do so by essentially raising the trigger threshold, enabling the patient to remain calm, i.e., in control. I have seen even experienced users be taken off guard by unexpected directions their mind or body takes. So the advice here re being patient and taking it slow, learning your body and mind's response, doing so in a safe environment and/or with support, is spot on.

Also, perhaps I missed it but I don't recall seeing any mention in the thread of other substances being concurrently used, e.g., an SSRI or a benzodiazepine or a tricyclic. Sometimes these medications are used for an entirely different purpose, such as backache or an injury or fibromyalgia; the list is long and the user may not even be aware of their psychoactive properties. Regardless, they all work on brain chemistry and can be symbiotic or contraindicated with other chemicals such as THC. If you use anything like this then approach your vaporizing with extra care, and learn about the med's dosing curve (the blood plasma concentration over time) and clinical pharmacology.

Finally, also as already mentioned, there are considerations related to the particular strain you are using and separate but related, the vaping temperature. While as stated above a high dose can invoke loss of control, dosing too low can result in an undesirable mix of the herb's elements that are being vaporized. This is principally because THC can cause anxiety; the cannaboid CBD along with certain terpenoids and flavonoids in Mary offset and overcome this THC effect. In recent years recreational strains on average have tended to be increasing in THC and decreasing in CBD, which can create complications for sensitive users (conversely, medical mj strains have been going in the opposite direction). Given that, the ideal vaporization temp from an anxiety perspective is probably ~190c, which will capture all the THC and CBD. It's also good to keep in mind that while combustion does not occur until much higher temps, benzenes do begin to be released at ~200c; for some folks these can be unwelcome irritants which can mitigate what might otherwise be a pleasant experience, amplified if the user has apprehension about health effects.

These links have useful information:

http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4369

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Vaporizing_Effects_by_Temperature

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4135

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29666084/...-Extracts-Greater-Than-the-Sum-of-Their-Parts

That last link is not an easy read; it's a pharmacokinetics study for medical mj use in the context of HIV. But the read is worth it, as it explores the wide range of often unknown benefits as long as the herb is properly used. In short, it is reassuring from a health perspective.

Please view the above as just the :2c: from an oldster who occasionally still shares this challenge.

Good luck.

GreenLeaf

There's some excellent advice in this thread.

If you have a MFLB (launch box) just vape a small trench and take 1-2 hits and see how that is for you.

I agree that vaping does take longer to hit you but it's worth it. It's not instant like smoking is.

Some people get lots of anxiety in certain environments or when they have issues in their life.

I've known people who get anxiety from Sativas so they avoid them and only smoke Indias/Indica dominant type stuff.

GreenLeaf,
Top Bottom