New to this pond

philly_artist

Hello all!

First post on this forum and hopefully not my last :)
I wanted to get all of your keen opinions on what vaporizer I should buy. I'm looking to spend in the $200-250 range and know I don't have enough to buy a volcano but I want to get near the next best thing. I only need to smoke once or twice a week and know that using a vaporizer saves money and lungs. Thank you all!

Peace and love.

philly_artist,

lwien

Welcome philly.

There is a wealth of information here, so what I suggest is to read, read, read, and then...............read some more. When you then have a better idea of what your options are and what specifically you are looking for in a vape, then fire away some questions.

lwien,

philly_artist

Much appreciated, Iwien - I will read read read but also I'm hoping to get some great suggestions here for products to buy. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the iolite Portable Vaporizer but I really want something with good quality that is very safe without having to spend $600 for a Volcano. Any takers?? :)

philly_artist,

lwien

There are a LOT of options below the 600 dollar price point. Read, read.........and then read some more.

When I first came here, I knew nothing about vaporizers, and I read like crazy for weeks before I asked my first question. I strongly suggest you do the same, for it will serve you better than any answers you will get here in this thread. I could list 10 vapes as options, but all that would do would spur more questions that have already been answered here a gazillion times.

Start readin'. This is a great research site and is the absolute best as far as comprehensive information on vaporizers on the internet. But there are very few veterans here that will want to spoon feed you the information that you are looking for, specifically, all the great vapes below the 600 dollar price point, which are numerous.

I'll give you a starting point on the threads to read. Read the threads about the following vapes:

Silver Surfer
Da Buddha
Zephyr Ion
Purple Days
Myrtlezap
Iolite
LaunchBox
Extreme Q
HerbalAire
Supreme
VripTech Heat Wand
VapeExhale Cloud

All of the above are great vapes below the price of a Volcano and all of them would be worthy of a purchase.

lwien,

philly_artist

Thank you so much - I greatly appreciate the starting point and will do some research first and then come asking questions on some of these babies :brow:

philly_artist,

philly_artist

Ok - did some researching and I have a bit better idea now. My top priority is something safe and healthy and my very close second priority is something that will give good strong hits since I only smoke every couple days and want it to be good when I do hit it up. That being said it looks like with my price range ($175-225) that the Purple Days OR Da Buddha would be my best options. Here is information that I have found but please let me know if I am incorrect here or if you have any additional helpful advice.

Purple Days
$180 w/ shipping. Supposedly made with very safe materials. 3 year warranty with parts and labor. Keeps temperature automatically and can be left on 24/7. The one drawback is that it takes 30 minutes to heat up but it's supposed to be very efficient and gives good hits for the amount of herb it uses.

Da Buddha
$190 w/ shipping. Very safe though not sure if as safe as PD. I read that the hits are supposed to be richer than the PD and very durable. 3 year warranty as well. Heats up to temperature in a couple minutes.

Okay guys anything big I'm missing here? Never used a vaporizer so I am out of my element but more than willing to learn - thanks!

philly_artist,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Are you a nibbler or a ripper when you smoke? Do you prefer one hitters or packing a big bowl and smoking the entire thing. I kind of compare the PD to a one hitter as it is crazy efficient, easy, nothing to break and always ready to go as it's never been unplugged since I got it.

Then there is the visual appeal & stealth aspect to consider if that matters.

indigal,

CompassRosie

hippie hausfrau
philly_artist said:
That being said it looks like with my price range ($175-225) that the Purple Days OR Da Buddha would be my best options. Here is information that I have found but please let me know if I am incorrect here or if you have any additional helpful advice.
They're very different types. I credit the Buddha for helping me to stop combusting, tastes great and I love the clouds, but it does tear through the weed. The PD is well known for being able to get a lot out of a little.

At this moment, one can get the PD only as a Pandora kit. One assembles it oneself, there are choices of wood and leather. It takes a few weeks to ship. Assembled PDs will be available again in the future, but it's not possible to know precisely when, and there will no longer be a waiting list, so if you want a PD soon you'll probably need to put it together.

Also check out the Magic-Flight Launch Box. It delivers a powerful kick for such a deceptively tiny device.

CompassRosie,

indigal

Amongst the corn
+1 on the MFLB, even as an interim, back-up & portable piece- it's very worthy.

indigal,

philly_artist

I think I would describe myself as more of a nibbler - or at least I don't want to rip through my stuff too quickly for money reasons. Crap! Didn't realize the PD is only available as an assembly kit. I can put stuff together from IKEA but this sounds a little out of my league :)
Anyone here ever put a kit together and how tough is it?

philly_artist,

philly_artist

Just watched some videos and feeling a bit leery about putting a PD together...maybe I'll go for the Da Buddha...anyone think PD is way safer than Da Buddha? I really want to use something that is as healthy and safe as possible...

philly_artist,

max

Out to lunch
anyone think PD is way safer than Da Buddha?
No. Why would you think so? For functionality, these two are complementary, but they don't really compete with each other. The PD/MZ/WZ type of vape is great for measured dosing, and very much encourages herb conservation, while the DBV is a standard sized whip vape that can deliver big hits and offers variable temp so you can partake of high temp vapor if you like. While it's quite possible to conserve/stretch your herb with the DBV, big hitters with big bowls are more satisfying to use as big hitters.

max,

philly_artist

Thank you Max - I think you just sold me since I reeeeeeally want to get something since I've made it a point to not buy any weed until I have a vap in my hands :)
Okay - so - I'm gonna get the DB - any suggestions on where to buy it from?

I went on Vaporizers.com and I can get the Silver for $189.99 and it comes with two grinders.

Alternatively, on Amazon.com I can get the Black for $199 with two grinders.

I honestly don't care about getting it in black but any suggestions on the best place to order? Thanks so much guys - once I get my Vap I will do some artwork for the forum :)

philly_artist,

Qbit

cannabanana
philly_artist said:
Thank you Max - I think you just sold me since I reeeeeeally want to get something since I've made it a point to not buy any weed until I have a vap in my hands :)
Okay - so - I'm gonna get the DB - any suggestions on where to buy it from?

I went on Vaporizers.com and I can get the Silver for $189.99 and it comes with two grinders.

Alternatively, on Amazon.com I can get the Black for $199 with two grinders.

I honestly don't care about getting it in black but any suggestions on the best place to order? Thanks so much guys - once I get my Vap I will do some artwork for the forum :)
I'll second Max on the point that the the Da Buddha, while having an excellent reputation, probably isn't ideal for the 'nibbler'. It's better for someone who chugs many big clouds every day - an excellent bong replacement for the heavy user. Someone like you who only hits up a couple of times a week probably wouldn't finish a full bowl each session.

Although the PD is unavailable except in the DIY kit, the Myrtlezap, which functions more or less identically and is equally efficient, certainly is available. And the Magic Flight Launch Box sure has its selling points as well, including the easy ability to take mini-hits. I recommend you read up pn these models before taking the plunge.

Qbit,

lwien

philly_artist said:
I think I would describe myself as more of a nibbler - or at least I don't want to rip through my stuff too quickly for money reasons. Crap! Didn't realize the PD is only available as an assembly kit. I can put stuff together from IKEA but this sounds a little out of my league :)
Anyone here ever put a kit together and how tough is it?
TOTALLY agree with Qbit above. Regarding your trepidation of putting the Pandora together, and your question about how tough it is to put it together, you may want to read the following thread:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2465

lwien,

philly_artist

Hmmm - ok, I will check out the Myrtlezap - my hesitation with the Magic Flight Box is that it I wonder how safe it is - it looks so hokey the way it's designed...crap, I gotta think this over.

Is it impossible to take smaller hits with the Buddha? Can't you just load with a smaller amount of weed? Or do the hits not work if you don't fill up the bowl? Thanks for all the feedback guys - you're awesome.

philly_artist,

lwien

philly_artist said:
Hmmm - ok, I will check out the Myrtlezap - my hesitation with the Magic Flight Box is that it I wonder how safe it is - it looks so hokey the way it's designed...crap, I gotta think this over.

Is it impossible to take smaller hits with the Buddha? Can't you just load with a smaller amount of weed? Or do the hits not work if you don't fill up the bowl? Thanks for all the feedback guys - you're awesome.
There is no reason to indicate that the LB is any less safe than any other vape.

Regarding taking smaller hits with the Buddha, a good analogy would be if you purchased a Ferrari with the intention of just going slow to conserve fuel. You could.......but why would you?

lwien,

philly_artist

Cruuuuuuud. I really want to make my decision and order something this week but I want to make it a good decision :) So many choices.

Iwien, I was reading over a great thread about the Myrtlezap and was pretty sold on getting it (since I like the look and design of the Purple Days) but didn't like that the stems are made with Brass containing Lead. Someone mentioned the Vapolution being very healthy since it's all glass but I saw a review saying that it gives small hits and there can be issues with the temperature device.

I think I may be leaning towards the DB and that way I can load it with smaller amounts of herb or load it up if I have company over. Any other suggestions guys? Thanks again as always.

philly_artist,

philly_artist

Crap - one other question - if there a hierarchy of vaps being well known for their safety? It seems the Myrtlezap has got some issues with the whole lead issue but where does the Buddha rate? From what I've read, it seems like everything is pretty on par as far as safety is concerned.

philly_artist,

fidget

You could try the Better Days (available on ebay) - its a rip off of the Purple Days which is not a rip off of anything honestly.

fidget,

max

Out to lunch
The zap is now made with lead free brass. The LB, like most quality vapes, has no real safety issues with vaping temps.

I think the DBV is an excellent choice for a 1st vape. Your vapor path is confined to the heater cover, and it's a proven design. You can use it efficiently. You just have to watch your temp (starting a little low and moving up in temp is a good method) and your hits. It's easy to get a bigger hit than you can efficiently process.

Check our retailer thread for good dealers that offer FC members a discount. I believe you can get a silver DBV for around $165.

The Vapolution is hard to beat for the money if you want a true, all glass vapor path, but your hit size will be somewhere in between the PD/MZ and a full size whip like the DBV. Loading the bowl is also tricky since only the glass dimple in the bowl serves as a screen. It's easy to overcook one side of the bud, while the other side still has some green. Choosing just the right sized piece of bud can be a bit of a chore. It's one of the very few designs that does not take well to ground herb.

max,

philly_artist

Thanks so much, Max and everyone else. I've decided to go with Da Buddha. I was close to getting the Myrtlezap but I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks for the 3 year warranty. I'll check out the retailer thread and find a good deal. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!

philly_artist,

CompassRosie

hippie hausfrau
I love my dear Buddha and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours too. It's possible to load a small amount. Me, I was a heavy bong-snorkler when I was smoking, so I like loading big fat bowls that I have to stir several times and get like seven, eight monster cloudy hits from. I'm still new to this so I'm still learning how I like the temp, sometimes I turn it down a hair so I can be clearer headed, most times I turn it up a hair and rip away.

You may notice a lot of the members of this forum list multiple vapes in their signatures. Different vapes suit different situations, and once you get to enjoying that vapor you'll probably want to add to the harem! :D The Launch Box is a beautifully designed portable device, deceptively simple, but ingenious, and is very conservative on the herb. See the hundred-sixty-something-pages of that thread - many many happy customers there. And a liftetime warranty.

Oh be sure to save your ABV and use it to make brownies or 'swamp water', or all kinds of things - the leftovers are still unbelievably useful, I am crazy high on some ABVbutter brownies right now. :ko:

CompassRosie,

philly_artist

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII just ordered it from Amazon. I checked out Vapor Giant which has the silver for $159.99 but it's sold out and I can't wait any longer to get this since I haven't gotten some weed in white a quile. :brow:
I ordered the black model for $199 but it comes with a bag, two grinders, and the three year warranty. Originally I was just gonna get the silver but like the sucker consumer I sometimes am I just wanted that black model. I like the Buddha design on it too and can't wait til I see it in person - anyone else pro Buddha image? It says delivery in 3-5 days and I am hoping my highest hopes that get it by my 30th birthday which will be on on the 24th.
Vap Gods please grant my wish and deliver this to me post haste! :rolleyes:

philly_artist,

max

Out to lunch
I checked out Vapor Giant which has the silver for $159.99
I think you mean Vaporizergiant. They list the DBV at the old price of $159. They never have it in stock. Same with the SSV-old price of $249 and 'out of stock'. They were out of stock when the old prices were current. I don't know if 7th Floor cut 'em off or what, but they continue to list the vapes even though they obviously don't sell 'em. It's not a dealer I'd buy from.

max,
Top Bottom