• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

New BBCode Toolbar Test

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Just set up a new BBCode editor, you may need to hard refresh the page (Ctrl +F5) to see it when you're writing a post. Much improved functionality IMO, hopefully you'll agree. :)

If you see any issues, have questions or just want to try it out please do so here!

vtac,

lwien

Pretty neat. Suggestion. The mod notes are now in red so with the ability to change our font colors pretty easily, the mode notes may get kind of lost in the mix, eh?

lwien,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
That's a good point. I think the reward is greater than the risk but we'll see how it goes. Because hey colors are fun!

Known issues: "Quick quote" links are missing on posts.

vtac,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
vtac said:
That's a good point. I think the reward is greater than the risk but we'll see how it goes. Because hey colors are fun!

Known issues: "Quick quote" links are missing on posts.

Looks cool, gotta LOVEcolors!

I can chime in and say that the new toolbar, as well as the whole forum, so far seem to be working on my ipad without hiccups.

Purpl3_Haz3,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
lwien said:
Pretty neat. Suggestion. The mod notes are now in red so with the ability to change our font colors pretty easily, the mode notes may get kind of lost in the mix, eh?

You always could change the colours easily, the button just makes it obvious.

I'm more bothered by poor choices, like this one:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=120242#p120242

Tom's choice is fine for the default colour scheme or any style with a dark background, but if you use one of the styles with a white or light coloured background, it's nearly unreadable.

pakalolo,

Purple-Days

Yes, I was playing around with the new toolbar.

Is yellow a "poor choice" as an update / warning ? As Lwien points out red should be reserved for Mod notes. If yellow is a "poor choice" for this purpose, what color would be appropriate? What text content justifies a color at all, if yellow is a poor choice in this case ?

I can understand that certain text colors won't work in non-default backgrounds but then aren't all color choices subject to this problem (depending on the color of the user's background choice)?

Purple-Days,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Purple-Days said:
Yes, I was playing around with the new toolbar.

Is yellow a "poor choice" as an update / warning ? As Lwien points out red should be reserved for Mod notes. If yellow is a "poor choice" for this purpose, what color would be appropriate? What text content justifies a color at all, if yellow is a poor choice in this case ?

I can understand that certain text colors won't work in non-default backgrounds but then aren't all color choices subject to this problem (depending on the color of the user's background choice)?

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend by calling it a "poor choice". I should have said your choice was made without realizing there might be an issue. Yes, all colours other than the default are subject to this problem, that's why straying from the defaults is risky.

The problem isn't the colour so much as it is the luminosity. Basically, the text colour must have sufficient luminosity contrast with the background in order to be readable. If you'd chosen this yellow instead of this one then it would be much easier to read against a light background, and this one would be even easier although I would argue that now it's not really yellow any more. (The colour bar disagrees.)

This is a fundamental problem that has always existed but until now it was masked because most people didn't realize you could change text colour. Here's a test:

Row 1 Column 1 Row 1 Column 2 Row 1 Column 3
Row 2 Column 1 Row 2 Column 2 Row 2 Column 3
Row 3 Column 1 Row 3 Column 2 Row 3 Column 3
Row 4 Column 1 Row 4 Column 2 Row 4 Column 3
Row 5 Column 1 Row 5 Column 2 Row 5 Column 3
Row 6 Column 1 Row 6 Column 2 Row 6 Column 3
Row 7 Column 1 Row 7 Column 2 Row 7 Column 3
Row 8 Column 1 Row 8 Column 2 Row 8 Column 3
Row 9 Column 1 Row 9 Column 2 Row 9 Column 3

Against the default FC background, R5C3, R6C3, and R9C2 are difficult to read. Against the style I use now (Air) R1C1, R8C1, and R8C2 are poor choices. Against the style I was using before (Oxygen, which uses a light grey background for posts) R1C1, R1C2, R8C1, R8C2, and R8C3 are all hard to read, R3C1 is almost as difficult.

I've never liked the default FC style, but I suspect that most people never change from the default. My choice for a safe update/warning colour (that's not a red) would be R2C2 (medium orange). It's a warning colour and is sufficiently different from mod red to work. If you cycle though all the styles and look at this post, you'll see that almost no choices work in all display styles.

I think that in general, changing the text colour isn't a good idea, but I understand why you want to do it on occasion. Because of the potential problem with background contrast, however, rather than colour I usually use bold, italics, and sometimes underlining for emphasis.

pakalolo,

Purple-Days

That's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure.

As you say, "almost no choices work in all display styles..."

And I figured that was probably the case, "but then aren't all color choices subject to this problem..." and you have proven the point with your test. Colors are fun, but . . . :peace: symbols work better

ps. I for one like the default scheme , got used to it when contrast was very important to me. Wouldn't think of changing it, very easy on the eyes. And different . :cool:

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom