• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

need some quick opinions

2clicker

Observer
i posted this in the D-Limon thread, but didnt want to jack so im starting this here.

anyway, i did a qwiso run on 17.5g of ABV. longer soak than normal, but figured this would be ok since it would be winterized in Everclear and re-filtered. this was my mistake me thinks. so the ABV qwiso was filtered through a fine SS screen and then again through an unbleached paper coffee filter. it was evaporated and scraped up and put into another jar with Everclear. after it totally dissolved in the EC, the jar went into the freezer overnight. the next day say mid morning the mixture was removed from the freezer and quickly filtered through a paper coffee filter. it was then set on a hot plate set on low and had a small fan blowing over it. after evap i let the dish stay on the heat for a while longer to continue purging. then the in-laws came over and it sat covered for a few hours. finally it looked like the pic below.

abvqwiso_zps17895692.jpg

so what do you think? still to dark eh? i ended up scraping it up and its pretty much black. i am thinking that i may need to try to do the EC winterize step again, but this time use a gold tone coffee filter and then a paper coffee filter. or is ABV oil just going to be dark no matter how many times i "clean it up"?

looking for some help soon so i can knock this run out today. any help is appreciated!

2clicker,
Reactions: Egzoset

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I agree, for ABV oil, that looks pretty good to me. Mine is always dark, from vaping the herb. I would say it's good to go as is IMO, if it had been from green material, maybe not so much.

2clicker

Observer
thanks for the replies! im expecting an Oil Slick Pad Duo set to be delivered to my place any minute now. i think i will use one of them directly on the hot plate to purge further. any suggestions on actual temps to purge with?

2clicker,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
thanks for the replies! im expecting an Oil Slick Pad Duo set to be delivered to my place any minute now. i think i will use one of them directly on the hot plate to purge further. any suggestions on actual temps to purge with?
I've been using my oil slick pads for bho but I get shatter everytime with 160 water, the surface of the slick pad gets 106-109 in the pyrex.

kushcabbage,

2clicker

Observer
I've been using my oil slick pads for bho but I get shatter everytime with 160 water, the surface of the slick pad gets 106-109 in the pyrex.

are you talking about a water bath?

i was going to place the Oil Slick pad w/oil directly onto the hot plate. no pyrex under it. the OSP should be good up to like 500 deg right? so what temp should the surface of the burner be at for this?

or should i just use a low setting and not worry about it?

2clicker,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
are you talking about a water bath?

i was going to place the Oil Slick pad w/oil directly onto the hot plate. no pyrex under it. the OSP should be good up to like 500 deg right? so what temp should the surface of the burner be at for this?

or should i just use a low setting and not worry about it?
I'd go low and slow. And yes I was mentioning a water bath but again iso will be different from bho heating and purging. Do you have a thermometer or laser temp reader? The slick pads absorb a bit of heat it seems.

kushcabbage,
Reactions: farscaper

fake name

I could tell from your picture it was abv, that tell-tale brown color. You can see it really well in the bottom right corner...

So, yes this is typical of abv oil. Winterizing will clean it some, but I don't think it'll remove some of the things unique to abv. Perhaps activated carbon could clean it up? I do not know this but have wanted to experiment with a nice carbon filter.

And if you're not use to abv oil already, then here are a couple of fun facts... first, abv oil tastes gross (Imo), like what abv smells like. Secondly, watch it on the nail or skillet when you dab. There will be minimal to no bubbling on the nail, most oils bubble because they are decarboxilating on contact to the hot surface, but abv is already decarboxilateded.

fake name,

2clicker

Observer
I'd go low and slow. And yes I was mentioning a water bath but again iso will be different from bho heating and purging. Do you have a thermometer or laser temp reader? The slick pads absorb a bit of heat it seems.

thanks blood!

ive got a laser temp gun at my screen print shop, but im at home today. ill just put it on the lowest setting and keep an eye on it. i wish i had some of that D-limon to add in an attempt to make this oil taste decent.

aside from D-limon what else can be used to flavor some ABV errl?

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
I could tell from your picture it was abv, that tell-tale brown color. You can see it really well in the bottom right corner...

So, yes this is typical of abv oil. Winterizing will clean it some, but I don't think it'll remove some of the things unique to abv. Perhaps activated carbon could clean it up? I do not know this but have wanted to experiment with a nice carbon filter.

And if you're not use to abv oil already, then here are a couple of fun facts... first, abv oil tastes gross (Imo), like what abv smells like. Secondly, watch it on the nail or skillet when you dab. There will be minimal to no bubbling on the nail, most oils bubble because they are decarboxilating on contact to the hot surface, but abv is already decarboxilateded.

carbon filter sound interesting. i also want to look at getting a syringe/filter setup.

im familiar with ABV oil already. just trying to dial in my system. ive had it where it taste pretty nasty to where it has a nutty flavor. im hoping the second soak in EC helped somewhat with the flavor. get that Iso taste out of it at least.

i dont have a nail or skillet setup. its strictly EO carts for me. i will likely be using an Omi cart for the ABV oil. it sits by my bed and gets used right before i go to sleep.

2clicker,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I like ABV oil for body help or sleep usually. I also now make an ABV infused coconut oil that I use topically, daily, and my skin has started to look really good, and younger. I am almost 39, and sometimes still think I could easily pass for late 20s. Not to mention it's healing some surface rash problems I was having, and it's good for cuts and burns too... is there anything cannabis can't fix??

fake name

carbon filter sound interesting. i also want to look at getting a syringe/filter setup.

im familiar with ABV oil already. just trying to dial in my system. ive had it where it taste pretty nasty to where it has a nutty flavor. im hoping the second soak in EC helped somewhat with the flavor. get that Iso taste out of it at least.

Yeah, ive been wanting to try the syringe set up too. They look awesome.

And yeah you def should avoid any type of Iso taste. The other flavors are bad, at least to me, but Iso flavor sounds potentially dangerous.

fake name,

2clicker

Observer
Yeah, ive been wanting to try the syringe set up too. They look awesome.

And yeah you def should avoid any type of Iso taste. The other flavors are bad, at least to me, but Iso flavor sounds potentially dangerous.

i didnt mean that it tastes like Iso. just that Iso only extracted products have a certain taste to them in my experience. the same material when run through EC tastes considerably better.

before getting the hot plate i have been leaving it out overnight to ensure all Iso is gone. im pretty sure my purging is good. and should only get better with the hot plate from what i gather.

fake name

i didnt mean that it tastes like Iso. just that Iso only extracted products have a certain taste to them in my experience. the same material when run through EC tastes considerably better.

before getting the hot plate i have been leaving it out overnight to ensure all Iso is gone. im pretty sure my purging is good. and should only get better with the hot plate from what i gather.

Gotcha, misinterpreted what you were saying. Yeah light heat really does make a good difference from just air drying. When the alcohol evaporates it cools down the pyrex, so having a constant heat source under it helps the process a lot.

fake name,

thesoloman

Thats some great looking abv oil! i saw some a few days ago that a buddy made that was near black, but i heard it was really potent ahha. I've kinda given up on poop hash, but your run is making me reconsider.

thesoloman,
Reactions: 2clicker

fake name

Thats some great looking abv oil! i saw some a few days ago that a buddy made that was near black, but i heard it was really potent ahha. I've kinda given up on poop hash, but your run is making me reconsider.

Just wanted to say, even if you don't like to vape/smoke abv oil, it is still worth it if you like edibles or tinctures. I know a lot of people will make those outright with abv, but Imo extracting it first is the best for abv. Then just cook it into something or just drop it into the base of the tincture. Also, it works with mixing a small amount into a high purity extract to make the texture a bit easier to work with, specifically mixing it in with something that is too shattter-y.

Also, the cocunut oil balm jambandphan03 mentioned looks awesome. I want to try it now. Thanks for the suggestion Jam!

2clicker

Observer
ok so my OSPads arrived earlier and i threw this run on one of the Duo pads and right onto my hot plate. set it to low and left it there about 45 mins. it has cooled to room temp and is noticeably not as nasty smelling as it was before this purge.

gonna load up my last fresh Omi cart with it and see how it turned out. thanks for the help everyone! my next thread will be with some quality flowers. first doing the frozen 99% Iso soak (slight agitation), filter, EverClear soak, winterize, filter, evap with heat and fan, and finally purge with heat.

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Just wanted to say, even if you don't like to vape/smoke abv oil, it is still worth it if you like edibles or tinctures. I know a lot of people will make those outright with abv, but Imo extracting it first is the best for abv. Then just cook it into something or just drop it into the base of the tincture.

I need to slowly move from concentrates to tinctures. I have abv oil and a bunch of oil extracted. Can these be mixed into small or large solutions of everclear or 151 rum? I no virtually nothing about tinctures. I'd like something potent that a few sprays or drops will cure my nausea and make me want to eat. I've tried reading most about the subject on FC and I saw some elsewhere online. I want to flavor it with passionfruit and sugar or something sweet to add to water. Should I use abv scraps, ABV oil, potent oil, or fresh buds for the starting product?

kushcabbage,

fake name

I need to slowly move from concentrates to tinctures. I have abv oil and a bunch of oil extracted. Can these be mixed into small or large solutions of everclear or 151 rum? I no virtually nothing about tinctures. I'd like something potent that a few sprays or drops will cure my nausea and make me want to eat. I've tried reading most about the subject on FC and I saw some elsewhere online. I want to flavor it with passionfruit and sugar or something sweet to add to water. Should I use abv scraps, ABV oil, potent oil, or fresh buds for the starting product?

Tinctures are fairly simple, extract the psychoactives into the alcohol and consume. The important thing, though, is to decarboxilate first. So abv oil, being decarbed already, you can just put straight into the alcohol. Otherwise, cook the herb for 20 to 30 minutes at 185°f to 250°f. I like a lower temp decarb because it preserves more of the lesser present cannabinoids.

You can put the herb straight into the alcohol after decarbing, no need to extract separately, and strain after a couple of hours. Some suggest waiting a couple of days (or longer) before straining, but ethanol will extract all the goodies after a couple of hours, especially with a good shaking. This isn't extracting for dabs, you can extract other stuff from the plant without it having a negative impact.

Everclear and 151 will work great, both have very high ethanol content. I actually like using 100 proof vodka for tinctures, two solvents in equal measure, one polar and the other semi polar. This is often recommended in the (non-cannabis) tincture community to have a very wide spectrum of things from plants. This works very well if you are adding other things to the tincture besides cannabis.

You can keep adding more stuff and straining when necessary, ethenol will keep dissolving stuff until it becomes too thick to do so. You do not need to worry about over saturating ethenol, it can keep on absorbing.

As for the effects, it should def help with appetite issues. I only do tincs on occasion because I tend to eat too much and gain weight on them. I can't speak for effects on nausea, though.

And a spray bottle works best, one or two sprays under the tongue. For me, it works faster than vaping.

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Tinctures are fairly simple, extract the psychoactives into the alcohol and consume. The important thing, though, is to decarboxilate first. So abv oil, being decarbed already, you can just put straight into the alcohol. Otherwise, cook the herb for 20 to 30 minutes at 185°f to 250°f. I like a lower temp decarb because it preserves more of the lesser present cannabinoids.

You can put the herb straight I to the alcohol after decarbing, no need to extract separately, and strain after a couple of hours. Some suggest waiting a couple of days (or longer) before straining, but ethanol will extract all the goodies after a couple of hours, especially with a good shaking. This isn't extracting for dabs, you can extract other stuff from the plant without it having a negative impact.

Everclear and 151 will work great, both have very high ethanol content. I actually like using 100 proof vodka for tinctures, two solvents in equal measure, one polar and the other semi polar. This is often recommended in the (non-cannabis) tincture community to have a very wide spectrum of things from plants. This works very well if you are adding other things to the tincture besides cannabis.

You can keep adding more stuff and straining when necessary, ethenol will keep dissolving stuff until it becomes too thick to do so. You do not need to worry about over saturating ethenol, it can keep on absorbing.

As for the effects, it should def help with appetite issues. I only do tincs on occasion because I tend to eat too much and gain weight on them. I can't speak for effects on nausea, though.

And a spray bottle works best, one or two sprays under the tongue. For me, it works faster than vaping.
Thank you for helping! Sorry i'm so full of questions today :) Does abv oil dissolve into alcohol well? Will I need to heat and stir? Taste wise would I be able to sneak some into a drink sweetener and put a few drops in a drink? Is the consistency of the final product syrupy or runny like water? I'm guessing just a little bit of sweetner in the mixture would sweeten it up without affecting anything? How about just starting with a flavored vodka or something similar. Again thank you and excuse all the questions.. :bowdown:

fake name

Thank you for helping! Sorry i'm so full of questions today :) Does abv oil dissolve into alcohol well? Will I need to heat and stir? Taste wise would I be able to sneak some into a drink sweetener and put a few drops in a drink? Is the consistency of the final product syrupy or runny like water? I'm guessing just a little bit of sweetner in the mixture would sweeten it up without affecting anything? How about just starting with a flavored vodka or something similar. Again thank you and excuse all the questions.. :bowdown:

Glad to be a help, you're very welcome.

Abv will dissolve into ethanol pretty well, give it some time and a good shaking. You probably wont even need the shake, but it wont hurt. I don't think you will need heat to mix it in.

The final product will be as viscous as the alcohol you start with, it only gets thick when you add A LOT, more than you'll use.

The taste is like herb, but there will be a burn using alcohol. Also, the spray bottle works well, but will give you a couple minute span where it smells like you've been boozing. It sprays such a fine mist that the scent of alcohol will likely be on your breathe, but only briefly. An alternative to alcohol is glycerin tings, if this last point is too much trouble. But glycerin tastes gross, IMO, and take a lot mot effort to make. Also, ive noticed that if I mix alcohol tincture with coca-cola the taste is incredible, it just tastes like weed soda.

Passion fruit can be extracted into the tincture, and ive heard it works well. I enjoy a green tea/cannabis tincture. Anything else added, or mixing it with a sweetener, will have no negative effect on potency.

The problem with flavor vodka is it tends to be only 70 proof (35% alcohol). I suggest trying to use 80 proof or higher.

2clicker

Observer
hey fake name, are there any recipes available that show how much alcohol to use for so much material? soak for a certain amount of time... all of this in order to know its potency?

could you make a small amount with say 4g of flowers?

i tried going the golden dragon route with some ABV and it came out tasting horribly with little to no effect. it sorta burnt me on tinctures especially how much a PITA it was to make. candy thermometer and all that.

i would love to hear more about soaking in EverClear to a drinkable tinc. do you evap at all? or just wash and then all of the alcohol is good?

kushcabbage

vapor nerd

You rock, and as far as I can tell your an expert on the subject, thank you! I plan on going to the store to get some alcohol today. We really need a dedicated tincture thread with recipes and pictures. When you say you use 100 proof vodka, and two solvents in equal measure. I'm a bit confused pardon me. So say I wanted to mix some abv oil and green tea/passionfruit I'd put it all in one cup then strain, would just a small glass jar work? When absorbing lid on or off? How much amounts of liquid are recommend for a few grams of oil and a few grams of botanicals for taste?

fake name

hey fake name, are there any recipes available that show how much alcohol to use for so much material? soak for a certain amount of time... all of this in order to know its potency?

could you make a small amount with say 4g of flowers?

i tried going the golden dragon route with some ABV and it came out tasting horribly with little to no effect. it sorta burnt me on tinctures especially how much a PITA it was to make. candy thermometer and all that.

i would love to hear more about soaking in EverClear to a drinkable tinc. do you evap at all? or just wash and then all of the alcohol is good?
You rock, and as far as I can tell your an expert on the subject, thank you! I plan on going to the store to get some alcohol today. We really need a dedicated tincture thread with recipes and pictures. When you say you use 100 proof vodka, and two solvents in equal measure. I'm a bit confused pardon me. So say I wanted to mix some abv oil and green tea/passionfruit I'd put it all in one cup then strain, would just a small glass jar work? When absorbing lid on or off? How much amounts of liquid are recommend for a few grams of oil and a few grams of botanicals for taste?

Alright guys, ill be back later tonight, I'm a little busy right now. Kush, I think you're right about a thread, ill start one up and do a write up on a few recipes. I may ask a mod to move the past couple of posts in this thread into the new thread.

Top Bottom