Need help choosing a portable vaporizer

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
can load large amounts (0.25~ at least)
Not owning any vapes, how did you arrive at this requirement? I own desktops which could accommodate this amount, but never have a need to load this much. Vaping helps conserve material, you will go through far less to achieve the affects you are looking for. I own a FlowerPot ShowerHead and with two bowls it can keep up with as many people I am able to throw at it.. and in so doing it burries everyone who thinks they can better it.

Kryptonstratos

Sorry for the delay, had a few things pop up lately. Going to start trying to be more active in here

Was able to do a bit of digging and came to discover supposedly Fierce dosing caps are able to fit within most 18mm joints? I've also heard people saying the Tubo and Splinter Z stems are interchangeable? Meaning I can just do the same full joint loads on the Z instead of the baskets? Supposedly there are also screens you can purchase and install on your own to mimic the joint loads with the Tubo as well? :hmm:

If this all holds true, I think it's going to come down to the Splinter Z, Tubo evic, Iheat, Lil bud elite, and Tera. Which of these would you guys say ranks the highest in terms of raw extraction power? The only downside with the Splinter Z/Iheat is that I really don't like the lightsaber-esc way they attach to a mod. Just doesn't seem very sturdy/durable, and looks prone to dropping/knocking over. Feels like it would poke out a bit in public as well. Maybe I could get a mod where the connection is down lower to make it more compact? This isn't something I'm going to want to prioritize however if it means any significant compromises with mod quality. I feel like using a wooden stem would also help mitigate this feeling of general vulnerability although from what I understand glass cooling stems are highly recommended with these units. From a build shape perspective the Tubo and Lil bud are much more appealing. Only downside is the single 18650. I could be wrong about this but there isn't anything securing the stems in place within any of these units correct? Meaning if you flip them upside down they will just fall out?

Also, question for you guys about dosing caps. How is it to interchange these during a session? I can't help but think that they're going to be quite hot

@Summer the iHeat does heat faster than the Splinter Z. I like the fact that the iHeat has no glass in it to break or separate from the wood.

Earlier today I stumbled on this Review from Troy of 420VapeZone.com

I would suggest you also look at the Tubo Evic. There is a large joint if you want to pack more than a "top hat" basket screen. If you want a 510 threaded device to go on an atomizer there is also the TUBOx.

Thanks, already happened to see that video. Tera really stands out to me there although I do believe this was made before the firmware update on the Fierce

The Tubo evic has had my attention lately. How would you say the extraction compares to the other vapes?

Agreed on the glass, but a 10-second preheat on the Z to get it up to temp. amounts to nothing.

Thanks for the links. Happened to see these as well. At this point I think I've decided extraction power on the Fierce just isn't up to par

I do think the fierce is a great start given your interests. I have not tried it nor the boundless but I definitely preferred the fury over the boundless vapes I had and ended up getting rid of those . If you consider the iheat, I’d Recommend contacting Alan directly. He is able to personalize to meet your needs. Specifically if he knows you want a large bowl, I think he can put one together for you. I don’t know about caps but it’s worth checking out. The tubo which someone recommended does have capsule options: I have a wood stem from them that uses capsules and that works with my iheat and splinter as well as with the tubo.

Awesome, this is definitely something I'm going to consider

Do you have a normal Splinter or the Z? And these are S&B dosing caps?

The Boundless Tera excels if you use it through water, but isn't a top choice dry since most find the vapor hot & harsh if I recall when I followed the thread.

420vapezone loves the Tera through water because it's such a hard hitter. (And many of us know the immense hard hits Troy is famous for. :lol:) And even Boundless only uses it through water in their weekly IG streams.

Haha yeah I've seen quite a few of his videos at this point. The extraction on the Tera really does appeal to me but if I'm able to get the same, or more, from the other vapes mentioned I'll likely end up going with one of those

I'd say iheat with custom stem by Alan too or the dreamwood glow rcv 18 with big bowl/pod bowl stem.
here a vid
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dreamwood-glow.34667/page-10#post-1390559

Hmm not very familiar with the Dreamwood. How does it compare to the Iheat?

Not owning any vapes, how did you arrive at this requirement? I own desktops which could accommodate this amount, but never have a need to load this much. Vaping helps conserve material, you will go through far less to achieve the affects you are looking for. I own a FlowerPot ShowerHead and with two bowls it can keep up with as many people I am able to throw at it.. and in so doing it burries everyone who thinks they can better it.

Whoops sorry didn't see this thread had a accumulated second page :doh:

I chose this amount because I'm not fond of reloading and would much prefer to load large quantities at once and have it last me as long as it can. It's not really about how much I go through in a single session. These are on demand/pure convection vapes after all. It seems much more convenient to me to load a ton at one time and take draws as needed throughout the day. It's also a considerable priority of mine to have a unit that fares well in groups where I feel like bowl size is a big factor. I will say though, dosing caps are a complete game changer and I probably wouldn't mind reloading with them

Last edited by a moderator:

Summer

Long Island, NY
If this all holds true, I think it's going to come down to the Splinter Z, Tubo evic, Iheat, Lil bud elite, and Tera.

All of these are excellent at extraction. I think the Lil Bud E & the Tera would be least conspicuous for outside use. You can get away with saying the Tera is an e-cig vape & the LBE a wooden one.

I leave dosing caps & wooden stems to others. :shrug:

Don't think a single 18650 should be an issue. Take an extra 2 along with you in a plastic battery case.

Isn't the Dreamwood Glow like the Imp - microdosers? Per antispleen, the Imp, along with excellent flavor, excels at microdosing. When you want the little gun you go with the Imp. When you want the big gun, you go with the Splinter Z.
Do the coils need to be changed in the Glow?

Last edited:

little maggie

All of the 18mm stems are interchangeable so the same stems will work with most that you've listed. I think the iheat is a bit better at extraction than the z but they are close. I haven't looked at prices but you might get whichever is least expensive- you won't go wrong with either. Alan is a master of wood so if wood choice and design matter that's a bit better than the Z
You've mentioned the tubo- it was the first box mod vape I bought and it is great. It's different from the others in that the box mod is contained in the tubo vaporizer.

And for a totally different option from loading caps is getting a ddave quad mod pack. You seem to like caps and to me they are a pain to load. Ddave makes a pack with 4 stems that's easy to carry. The stems hold the standard amount of an 18mm one which is more than any of the caps. It's simple to fill the 4 stems and carry the pack in a pocket throughout the day.

Kryptonstratos

All of these are excellent at extraction. I think the Lil Bud E & the Tera would be least conspicuous for outside use. You can get away with saying the Tera is an e-cig vape & the LBE a wooden one.

I leave dosing caps & wooden stems to others. :shrug:

Don't think a single 18650 should be an issue. Take an extra 2 along with you in a plastic battery case.

Isn't the Dreamwood Glow like the Imp - microdosers? Per antispleen, the Imp, along with excellent flavor, excels at microdosing. When you want the little gun you go with the Imp. When you want the big gun, you go with the Splinter Z.
Do the coils need to be changed in the Glow?

Now that I think about it the single 18650 might even be better. Allows for a more compact unit and like you said I can just take more along with me

So I take it the performance between these units is relatively the same? Aside from differences with the user interface, mod boxes being separate vs attached, etc.? Wonder why the Lil bud elite is so much more expensive?

All of the 18mm stems are interchangeable so the same stems will work with most that you've listed. I think the iheat is a bit better at extraction than the z but they are close. I haven't looked at prices but you might get whichever is least expensive- you won't go wrong with either. Alan is a master of wood so if wood choice and design matter that's a bit better than the Z
You've mentioned the tubo- it was the first box mod vape I bought and it is great. It's different from the others in that the box mod is contained in the tubo vaporizer.

And for a totally different option from loading caps is getting a ddave quad mod pack. You seem to like caps and to me they are a pain to load. Ddave makes a pack with 4 stems that's easy to carry. The stems hold the standard amount of an 18mm one which is more than any of the caps. It's simple to fill the 4 stems and carry the pack in a pocket throughout the day.

If the performance is that similar I'll likely just end up going with a Z. I've heard Alan can have a long waiting list and I'm looking for something I can get my hands on relatively soon

I do like the concept of preloaded stems though, thanks for that

My gut lately has been telling me to go with a Z, so I think I'm going to go with a Z :D

Now for mod box choices. I have absolutely no knowledge of anything pertaining to boxes at all :huh:. What are some of the best options?

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I would take an iheat over the z. I dont want glue anywhere in my vape.
Also looks like RBT is trying to sell the business

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
I would take an iheat over the z. I dont want glue anywhere in my vape.
Also looks like RBT is trying to sell the business
Ryan is looking for an angel (venture capital), seems like he would like to continue with RBT, but focus on design and let the owner run the business side. @RastaBuddhaTao is that accurate?

The Z is a favorite vape of mine, but not discrete at all.

@Kryptonstratos with your large bowl requirement honestly shows some naiveté. For best results in any convection vape the thickness of your herbs packed in the bowl should not exceed the diameter of the bowl. If it does you will be frustrated by a need to stir, as it's a pain and not convenient. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how a little material goes a long way, however for a group setting nothing beats the power and capacity of a desktop.

I've certainly passed my Z around and with a box mod in TC mode very little instruction is required. However, all the stems are are friction fit, some loser than others. This is a concern, especially with glass stems for if they fall out they could be toast (touch wood). And yes, you should not leave your Z on the mod standing up on any surface, it will fall over the results of which are seldom good. I agree that having a mod where the Z is not on top, but rather in parallel with the battery and electronics would indeed be more favorable. Just not sure how you would hold on to that, certainly not pocketable.

Ultimately I suspect you own more than one vape, don't try to find a one size fits all, does not exist. Besides every vape has a diffrent ritual and a different vapor profile not unlike moving from one fine wine to another. Buy three vapes 1) Desktop 2) Somewhat Portable (not discrete, but easier to take with you than the desktop) 3) a portable that is palmable and discrete.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
all good points and i dont want to really talk you into buying a Mighty, it is not even my prefered Vape right now but want to reply:
  • maintenance hassle: Not really, cooling unit is easy to clean and as a power user it is easy to buy a second one and rotate between them
  • Dated: somewhat right and price still high but also Mighty still the king of his class...
  • Battery: Thats really a shame - a least there is pass through charging and you can have S&B change the batteries. Mine hold up quite well
  • convection / conduction: right but that makes it so easy and foolproof to use right from the start
  • efficiency: Mighty is definetly not the King of effiency, more King of effects
  • Dosing Caps: S&B made them popular. They are very affordable and there are even capsule caddies and a tray to fill something like 24 at once... if dosing capsules are really high onyour priorities look into it...

I agree, OP it sounds like you want a Mighty.
Which vaporizers have you used in the past and enjoyed?

I've spent quite a lot of time investigating the mighty. Ultimately what killed it for me was the maintenance hassle. Also the fact that at this point it in time I feel it's a bit dated. No removable battery, takes some time to heat up, seems like more of a convection/conduction hybrid vs pure convection, extraction seems good but at the cost of efficiency, etc.

Maintenance hassle with the Mighty? It's one of the simplest vaporizers to clean, the cooling unit lock slides off and the two pieces spread like the Red Sea, 10 seconds in a bag of warm ISO, bada bing. Done.

On the contrary these 510 atomizers can be very finicky to dial in perfectly. Read the threads closely, you'll see a number of folks are constantly fidgeting with TCR, cold resistance, and custom firmware PID settings; rebuilding the heating element, experimenting with different box mods etc.

My biggest priorities in all of this still remain the bowl size/session duration as well as the dosing caps option, preferably well sized dosing caps like with the Fierce. I'm a bit different than most in that I am willing to make some rather substantial sacrifices if it means extending session duration. Dosing caps have progressively inched their way up my priority rankings the more I conceptualize their convenience and ease of use in different scenarios

You say you want a big bowl, but then you mention desiring something efficient?? I would say those two would contradict - Bigger bowls aren't going to be more efficient, on the contrary a dosing capsule is going to reduce the bowl size.

Above you mentioned being concerned about the heatup time of the Mighty, but here you mention wanting a good session length. I would say the heatup time is a non issue if you are planning on seshing a big bowl anyways.

Kryptonstratos

@Kryptonstratos with your large bowl requirement honestly shows some naiveté. For best results in any convection vape the thickness of your herbs packed in the bowl should not exceed the diameter of the bowl. If it does you will be frustrated by a need to stir, as it's a pain and not convenient. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how a little material goes a long way, however for a group setting nothing beats the power and capacity of a desktop.

The bowl depth to diameter ratio idea is interesting, I have not heard that before. So basically all Tubo Evic users who load the joint have to stir? Is it absolutely necessary though? I probably wouldn't mind some mildly uneven AVB if it means being able to load larger bowls. If it's a lot worse than mild, then I can understand

I do plan on saving it for consumption afterwards anyways so perhaps it would just make for more potent AVB?

I've certainly passed my Z around and with a box mod in TC mode very little instruction is required. However, all the stems are are friction fit, some loser than others. This is a concern, especially with glass stems for if they fall out they could be toast (touch wood).

Definitely a downside. Group scenarios I'd probably want to go with a wooden stem

And yes, you should not leave your Z on the mod standing up on any surface, it will fall over the results of which are seldom good. I agree that having a mod where the Z is not on top, but rather in parallel with the battery and electronics would indeed be more favorable. Just not sure how you would hold on to that, certainly not pocketable.

Really? I thought it'd be pretty similar to the Tubo Evic no? I managed to find a few images of the Iheat in this setup and it looks pretty manageable? Maybe I'm missing something. I just wouldn't want to make any compromises in mod quality by prioritizing the side mount though

Ultimately I suspect you own more than one vape, don't try to find a one size fits all, does not exist. Besides every vape has a diffrent ritual and a different vapor profile not unlike moving from one fine wine to another. Buy three vapes 1) Desktop 2) Somewhat Portable (not discrete, but easier to take with you than the desktop) 3) a portable that is palmable and discrete.

I get what you're saying, but honestly the degree to which certain preferences of mine aren't being fulfilled by the Z/Iheat is not very significant to me, certainly not to the extent where I would seek to purchase multiple other vaporizers.. nor do I really have the financial resources to be able to do something like that, at least not right now. My only real complaint is the vulnerability aspect (and as you've just informed me, potentially stirring (when not using dosing caps)). Most the other boxes are checked off

I agree, OP it sounds like you want a Mighty.
Which vaporizers have you used in the past and enjoyed?

Have only had a chance to use the original solo and a firefly once or twice. I was not too fond of either

Maintenance hassle with the Mighty? It's one of the simplest vaporizers to clean, the cooling unit lock slides off and the two pieces spread like the Red Sea, 10 seconds in a bag of warm ISO, bada bing. Done.

I could be wrong but the feeling I got was it seemed like more of a regular necessity rather than a choice. I've also heard there's quite a lot of reclaim accumulation

On the contrary these 510 atomizers can be very finicky to dial in perfectly. Read the threads closely, you'll see a number of folks are constantly fidgeting with TCR, cold resistance, and custom firmware PID settings; rebuilding the heating element, experimenting with different box mods etc.

This, for me, I love and is what ultimately edged me towards the box mod vapes vs other options like the Tera. I tend to be a power user with just about everything. The idea of being able to tweak and customize something to my exact liking is extremely appealing. If the end result is absolute perfection I'm up for the challenge :cool::tup:

You say you want a big bowl, but then you mention desiring something efficient?? I would say those two would contradict - Bigger bowls aren't going to be more efficient, on the contrary a dosing capsule is going to reduce the bowl size.

I think primarily what I was alluding to with that was minimization of conduction since I've heard of various convection based vapes having varying levels of conduction present

Above you mentioned being concerned about the heatup time of the Mighty, but here you mention wanting a good session length. I would say the heatup time is a non issue if you are planning on seshing a big bowl anyways.

A lot of the time this is not what I am planning, my use will vary throughout the day. Sometimes I may want a lengthy session, other times I might just want a few draws. Maybe I want to have an infrequent/relaxed session, taking a draw every few minutes or so, etc. The versatility offered here with on demand vapes is very convenient

Summer

Long Island, NY
I think primarily what I was alluding to with that was minimization of conduction since I've heard of various convection based vapes having varying levels of conduction present

The Mighty is a conduction session vape not an on-demand convection vape.

Did you take a look at the Stempod si & Stempod threads. It's an on-demand convection non-wood 510 vape where you replace your own coils.

Here are the mod threads:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...ing-for-on-demand-convection-510-vapes.25465/

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/t...ns-and-customizing.23742/page-12#post-1362287

In the future you want an on-demand conduction vape for a couple of microdosing hits or bowls let's say 2 hits a bowl at a minimum for arguments sake, then take a look at the Dynavap vapcap which can be use with a portable induction heater. My votes for the Fluxerheater for portability. Both have FC threads.

And here's what I think is the best grinder:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/brilliant-cut-grinder.26878/

Last edited:

little maggie

Just want to say that I don't understand about the tubo needing stirring. I use the same stems with the Z, tubo, splinters, iheat so there is no difference in stirring. I tend not to stir but some may feel that they need stirring. I only put a bit in- barely covering the bottom screen which is why no stirring. I still get 5 or 6 hits. Probably would be a lot more if I actually filled the bowl. I use about 1 gram a week.

As for the mods needing lots of adjustment- they don't and work fine with minimal modification unless you want to aim for perfection. Which you've said you do.

The tubo was the first one, I think, that came with software settings and customizing information. It's been updated several times. Many of us used that on older mods but the newer ones don't work with tubo software. There are now a few options for tubo -like and other updated software for the box mods. Given that you would enjoy making adjustments you will probably want to check them out if you get a box mod other than a tubo.

And although I rarely leave my vapes standing with their box mods, the width of the mods makes a difference with stability. My 1 battery box mod balances very differently from my 3 battery ones.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Not meaning to derail the OP's thread, @sickmanfraud, I've heard in streams the Mighty referred to as conduction. Just googled & read that it's considered hybrid. But since it's a session vape & has (what is considered to be by industry standards) a long heat time, I would have to logically think that the heating over an 8 - 10 min session would predominantly be conduction, whereas, if you take a vape like the Ghost that has a brief heat up time & a session on average of only 5 or 6 draws before refilling or replacing a cooled-down or cold crucible/bowl that the herb is only being negligibly affected by conduction. This is the way I'm looking at it.

Last edited:
Summer,

Kryptonstratos

The Mighty is a conduction session vape not an on-demand convection vape.

Did you take a look at the Stempod si & Stempod threads. It's an on-demand convection non-wood 510 vape where you replace your own coils.

Here are the mod threads:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...ing-for-on-demand-convection-510-vapes.25465/

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/t...ns-and-customizing.23742/page-12#post-1362287

In the future you want an on-demand conduction vape for a couple of microdosing hits or bowls let's say 2 hits a bowl at a minimum for arguments sake, then take a look at the Dynavap vapcap which can be use with a portable induction heater. My votes for the Fluxerheater for portability. Both have FC threads.

And here's what I think is the best grinder:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/brilliant-cut-grinder.26878/

Awesome thanks for the links

I've looked into the stempods but chose to exclude them due to the changing coils requirement. I'll keep the Dynavap in mind, doubt that's the kind of user I'll ever really be but who knows

:spliff:You're gonna fit right in here.

:lol:

Just want to say that I don't understand about the tubo needing stirring. I use the same stems with the Z, tubo, splinters, iheat so there is no difference in stirring. I tend not to stir but some may feel that they need stirring. I only put a bit in- barely covering the bottom screen which is why no stirring. I still get 5 or 6 hits. Probably would be a lot more if I actually filled the bowl. I use about 1 gram a week.

As for the mods needing lots of adjustment- they don't and work fine with minimal modification unless you want to aim for perfection. Which you've said you do.

The tubo was the first one, I think, that came with software settings and customizing information. It's been updated several times. Many of us used that on older mods but the newer ones don't work with tubo software. There are now a few options for tubo -like and other updated software for the box mods. Given that you would enjoy making adjustments you will probably want to check them out if you get a box mod other than a tubo.

And although I rarely leave my vapes standing with their box mods, the width of the mods makes a difference with stability. My 1 battery box mod balances very differently from my 3 battery ones.

I said this because I felt like the full joint loads were typically associated with the Tubo since they mainly produce the screened stems, at least I thought, but you're right it applies to any of them as long as the stem is the same

The mod stability/battery correlation I've noticed. Just wouldn't want to go too bulky

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The Mighty is a convection dominant hybrid with heated sidewalls which assist in extraction efficiency and vapor production. The Mighty never tastes like a conduction centric vaporizer, like a Dynavap or Arizer.

I'd reckon the hybrid technology works quite well for S&B to update the brand new Volcano Hybrid with similar hybrid technology after over 20 years of legendary groundbreaking success as a convection vaporizer. Considering their legacy I would not be surprised if they had analytical chromatography testing to demonstrate the improvement.

invertedisdead,

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
OP stated he wanted to load 0.25, not just enough to cover the screen. As depth would exceed bowl diameter several stirs would likely be required to achieve full extraction

YaMon,
Top Bottom